Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

abundance

Supports
Inter
Not a real man? I think you'll find that Lukaku is a grown ass man.
XD

Ok well, in the old-skool retrograde macho lexicon of the Curva Nord ultras, "to be a man" just means to be a principled male human who stands by his actions and can be trusted when giving his word.
Which Lukaku just wasn't in this occasion.

BerryBerryShrew

XD

Ok well, in the old-skool retrograde macho lexicon of the Curva Nord ultras, "to be a man" just means to be a principled male human who stands by his actions and can be trusted when giving his word.
Which Lukaku just wasn't in this occasion.
I do wonder about your definition? He comes across as a petulant child.
It was just a reference to something Lukaku said when he was José's undroppable "star" at United. A little bit ironic considering that he is the player who is least able to handle criticism in world football!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It was just a reference to something Lukaku said when he was José's undroppable "star" at United. A little bit ironic considering that he is the player who is least able to handle criticism in world football!

Not to mention, he bailed on Mourinho's Chelsea because he didn't fancy himself in competition against Torres and an ageing Eto'o.

el3mel

Too many awful career choices. He ruined his career.

He really needs someone to make decisions for him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Really have to wonder how the player who went on a tear up at Everton and looked like he’d go from strength to strength ended up how he has. It’s like he stopped trying.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Really have to wonder how the player who went on a tear up at Everton and looked like he’d go from strength to strength ended up how he has. It’s like he stopped trying.
Because a decent PL level goalscorer at a team like Everton was his ceiling. The only difference between him and other players who couldn't handle a similar step up is his relentless PR machine.

His title at Inter was an anomaly under a coach who made the likes of Victor Moses, an ageing Ashley Young and Fabio Quagliarella Champions.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Because a decent PL level goalscorer at a team like Everton was his ceiling. The only difference between him and other players who couldn't handle a similar step up is his relentless PR machine.

His title at Inter was an anomaly under a coach who made the likes of Victor Moses, an ageing Ashley Young and Fabio Quagliarella Champions.
I doubt anyone was saying it was his ceiling at the time; and I am not sure the Lukaku we saw then was of the same moral fibre as those that followed where his ego preceded him.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I doubt anyone was saying it was his ceiling at the time;
Pretty sure quite a lot of people were saying it tbf. He had a notoriously poor record against the big teams, even then.

I don’t think I’ve ever known a player be so ludicrously hyped and so viciously slagged at various points of his career, despite always remaining pretty much exactly the same player

Sir Erik ten Hag

Pretty sure quite a lot of people were saying it tbf. He had a notoriously poor record against the big teams, even then.

I don’t think I’ve ever known a player be so ludicrously hyped and so viciously slagged at various points of his career, despite always remaining pretty much exactly the same player
#NotForEveryone

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I *think* (can't remember) people would've been saying he needs to step up verses the bigger teams, which would be fair comment, but I dunno. It's all a big blur when it comes to Lukaku, and as you state, his many ups and downs.

I do think he gets looked at through the modern/current lens and it used retrospectively now, though - if he'd always been this guy, he'd have never gotten the moves he did.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I *think* (can't remember) people would've been saying he needs to step up verses the bigger teams, which would be fair comment, but I dunno. It's all a big blur when it comes to Lukaku, and as you state, his many ups and downs.

I do think he gets looked at through the modern/current lens and it used retrospectively now, though - if he'd always been this guy, he'd have never gotten the moves he did.
He was a striker at that level who tried to punch above his weight, which was fair game. However his lack of awareness and loyalty caused him a lot of hatred.

I still maintain my point: It was Lukaku who had a big hand in why Sanchez failed here. I noticed a lot of juicy passes from Sanchez which would have resulted in assists but failed due to Lukaku’s incompetence in his striker role. Sanchez may have turned out better if those visible results turned up for him.

CatsOfUlthar

Neves, Jota, Milincovic-Savic, Mendy and (probably) the butthead from Fulham all hecking off for a massive payday in this decade's retirement League.

Meanwhile, Lukaku continues to somehow move to clubs with something to prove and no money to spend.

Truly we live in the dark timeline.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I doubt anyone was saying it was his ceiling at the time; and I am not sure the Lukaku we saw then was of the same moral fibre as those that followed where his ego preceded him.
I was, I was elated when you beat us to his signing and devastated when we resigned him. Personally I doubted his chances of ever being a top player after his first debut for us, there's many things a player can improve on but natural talent isn't one of them.

His ego and sense of entitlement was no better when he was younger either, he left us at 21 because he thought battling/backing up peak Diego Costa was beneath him (ironic his idol is Drogba allegedly as Didier had the complete opposite mindset when it came to competition for his place).

Sir Erik ten Hag

Lukaku must be competing secretly with CR7 to see who is the most insufferable striker of the modern game. :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Sigh. We’re stuck with him aren’t we? He still has a crazy offer from Saudi Arabia on the table. I hope he takes it. We cannot have this guy back at Cobham.
Get the crowds out and sing "we do not want Lukaku".

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Get the crowds out and sing "we do not want Lukaku".
Believe me albeit minority still few in our fanbase wanted pochettino to work with him. They convinced he will be good for us all he will need to do one public apology. :lol:

I thought they were joking but they are serious. How on earth anyone still believe in him anymore I just don't understand. Make no mistake he still can score probably as of now he is best proven player available for chelsea to play no.9. But as a character I never allow him near my squad if I am pochettino.

AndySmith1990

Believe albeit minority still few in our fanbase wanted pochettino to work with him. They convinced he will be good for us all he will need to do one public apology. :lol:

I thought they were joking but they are serious. How on earth anyone still believe in him anymore I just don't understand. Make no mistake he still can score probably as of now he is best proven player available for chelsea to play no.9. But as a character I never allow him near my squad if I am pochettino.
People like that fascinate me. The kind who choose to ignore all prior experience and evidence to draw conclusions from, and instead form opinions on nothing but blind hope or their own distorted version reality. I guess the word delusion exists for a reason

Real Name

Funny enough that he pissed off Inter big time who really wanted him. He did not play that well, did he. Although the Saudi league might be his level
He really is a petulant child. Only one club actually wants him and he goes flirting with Juventus.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He really is a petulant child. Only one club actually wants him and he goes flirting with Juventus.
He seems to be a strange one, yet his reputation is so much better than it should be. Just glad he's not our issue anymore

Nickelodeon

Wish he gets stuck at Chelsea. I could not believe when Chelsea, not only signed him, but paid 100 million for him. There are a lot of big money transfers that don't work out. But this was as sure shot a failure as it could have been.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Probably inter played lowballing with his wages. His agency tried to force inter to up the wage offer by flirting with Juventus and it spectacularly backfired. Or Saudi offer may be too good to ignore. He will jump in Saudi ship eventually in my opinion.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
So no chance of him joining Inter or Juve then?

Still can't believe Chelsea paying 100 mill for him.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Probably inter played lowballing with his wages. His agency tried to force inter to up the wage offer by flirting with Juventus and it spectacularly backfired. Or Saudi offer may be too good to ignore. He will jump in Saudi ship eventually in my opinion.
Yeah that's my feeling too. Now that Inter have finally gotten sick of his shit, if Juventus back down too he won't have a choice but to either go to the Saudis if he wants to play.

Of course he will also have the chance of staying with us and picking up his salary for doing feck all but I don't see why he'd do that if he could earn double or triple the salary by going to the Saudi league and actually getting to play. He wasn't too keen on going there when he still had options in Europe but seeing as how proficient he is at burning bridges wherever he goes those options are getting slimmer and slimmer each day.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that's my feeling too. Now that Inter have finally gotten sick of his shit, if Juventus back down too he won't have a choice but to either go to the Saudis if he wants to play.

Of course he will also have the chance of staying with us and picking up his salary for doing feck all but I don't see why he'd do that if he could earn double or triple the salary by going to the Saudi league and actually getting to play. He wasn't too keen on going there when he still had options in Europe but seeing as how proficient he is at burning bridges wherever he goes those options are getting slimmer and slimmer each day.
His options are dwindling and the funny bit is with them reducing you would think so to his ego would be wounded but I doubt he has yet worked out that he realistically only has one option .

We know his reported fee in 21was £97.5 million so starting 22/23 his book value would have been circa £78 million but in 21/22 Chelsea re valued players book worth ( impaired ) reducing values by a massive £76 million some £50 million more than Chelsea have ever reduced players residual book values by.

It is inconceivable that a chunk of Lukakus value wasn’t in that £76 million impairment sum I wouldn’t be at all surprised if going into the 22/23 season wasn’t as low as £45 million.if that’s right or close to it being right then going into 23/24 his value is as low as £34 million which is pretty close to the sum that it was being reported Chelsea were prepared to accept for him.

Getting his wages off the payroll without damaging the bottom line would be the aim from a financial standpoint but just as important will giving his backside a kick as he exits Chelsea

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Wish he gets stuck at Chelsea. I could not believe when Chelsea, not only signed him, but paid 100 million for him. There are a lot of big money transfers that don't work out. But this was as sure shot a failure as it could have been.
There’s no doubt it has turnout to be a cluster***k and if Chelsea can get £30+ million and him of the payroll that to a degree will be a better result than say Pogbas transfer . Ok Poga played a decent number of games but what this does suggest to me is that the view you should never go back is a pretty valid comment

Strelok

Imo it's partly because he always thinks he's purely gold while the reality is he's a bit shit. Had he saw and accepted the shit part and worked on that things have turned out better for him imo. Anyway that donkey well derserves all the shit happened to him imo. No loyalty, no love but always a big mouth about that.

Nickelodeon

There’s no doubt it has turnout to be a cluster***k and if Chelsea can get £30+ million and him of the payroll that to a degree will be a better result than say Pogbas transfer . Ok Poga played a decent number of games but what this does suggest to me is that the view you should never go back is a pretty valid comment
My point wasn't that the Lukaku deal is the biggest failure of all time. You can always find worse deals, see Hazard to Real for example or Coutinho to Barca which would remain as the benchmark of big money transfer gone wrong.

My point was that even at the point of the transfer, you could see that Chelsea are making a huge, inexplicable mistake. Lukaku didn't seem like a stylistic fit, had recent underperformance at United and at his age, didn't have the potential for any decent resale value. For Pogba, yes, it didn't work out like we wanted. But you could at least see what United were trying to do.