Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

InfiniteBoredom

Don't get why it's sad? I've no interest in watching him personally, but it is interesting to see how he does.
Different folks different strokes and all that, but I find it strange to say the least that you’d watch someone you detested playing for us just to get a modicum of schadenfreude (not talking about you specifically, just people commenting on his touches against Lecce etc...). Life is too short and has too much to enjoy for me to even contemplate doing something like that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was talking more about his goal scoring against smaller teams being criticised, since Crystal Palace is the type of team he scores against. Most of the teams in the Premier League are not top six, so it seems strange that people were so happy about selling him, when he is prolific against the lower sides, and not replacing him.

I would much rather him than the situation we have now.
I would rather not, we are trying to play some style of football which Lukaku won't fit. What people also miss in this discussion is, Martial is Lukaku's replacement. Instead of sitting on the bench, he is first choice CF and he has done well in all 3 games.

marktan

I just watched his highlights, he had a decent game but it was still the same as what we saw - a dreadful first touch - he gave the ball away about 10 times due to it. The good bits were also similar - good dribbles down the wings and good balls into the box / through balls into other players. When he has the ball to feet he's a good player, for some reason when it's being played into him he turns into a completely different one.

Sylar

You know what you will get with him. Goals like that one he scored (following up on a keeper mistake). But then when theres build up and team play, some bad touches like this which ruin attacks:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looked better than last season, he looked more like the 2017-18 version.
Personally don't think so.

What exactly did he do that was any better?

The only thing good thing he did was a few crosses but he did plenty of those at United also.

I certainly don't think the Lecce centre backs were high quality either, it was an easy match for him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Personally don't think so.
I thought he was too shit last season. For Inter he looked lively, taking on players. Maybe it's the initial bounce that we saw when he joined ManUtd, he was very good for a month or 2.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
His match against Lecce:

I'd say it's a 6/10 performance. In this game he pretty much showed all his strengths and weaknesses.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Watched the match today, he was fine that's it.

Ruined more attacks than he helped. Lecce was truly awful and makes me realize that top 10 PL teams would almost all be CL teams else where and even the bottom half PL teams might get europa elsewhere.

I think in the long run they'll realize they have to carry him instead of him adding anything for the team.
Hope they're strong.

big rons sovereign

It's a very well asked question and not a whataboutery.
It's absolutely whataboutery. He just didn't say what about. You could also call it deflection. Lot of very precious types on this forum. And to answer the question, no, I never thought it at that time.
There were some very close run seasons.

Stacks

Of course he's supposed to defend himself after having a poor season. I do not get what you people are expecting. Getting angry or salty because of that is still pretty weird for me imo.
Be honest and admit you wasn't at your best and didn't have the best of seasons as opposed to some unjust crusade that the fans had against him. Thats symbolic of someone with no integrity and also the wrong people around him hyping him up. I am neither angry nor salty as I never wanted him to begin with. He likes to talk the talk "Jose likes me because I'd run through brick walls for him" reality: one of the laziest strikers I have seen. "you're a grown man deal with it" reality : cannot handle an honest assessment of his seasons performances.
People need to be checked

el3mel

Be honest and admit you wasn't at your best and didn't have the best of seasons as opposed to some unjust crusade that the fans had against him. Thats symbolic of someone with no integrity and also the wrong people around him hyping him up. I am neither angry nor salty as I never wanted him to begin with. He likes to talk the talk "Jose likes me because I'd run through brick walls for him" reality: one of the laziest strikers I have seen. "you're a grown man deal with it" reality : cannot handle an honest assessment of his seasons performances.
People need to be checked
I never liked him as a player as well and anyone can re check my posts about him in his last season performance and he will be amazed by how many times I slaughtered the shite out of him.

But these quotes are nothing really to get salty about. I find it logical for him to defend himself after being slaughtered a lot and sees his opinion as it's. Many players have big egos that they never come and see they were poor. It's normal. I don't find any reason to get worked up about a player defending himself in public.

He was only wrong in this speed test picture he leaked but imo it was a mistake of him leaking an inside info for a joke rather tham aiming it as an insult, as Mata also picked up on it and retweeted by joking as well.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
It's absolutely whataboutery. He just didn't say what about. You could also call it deflection. Lot of very precious types on this forum. And to answer the question, no, I never thought it at that time.
There were some very close run seasons.
United dominance:
1992-93: 10 points over Villa
1993-94: 8 points over Blackburn
1995-96: 4 points over Newcastle
1996-97: 7 points over Newcastle
1998-99: 1 point over Arsenal
1999-00: 18 points over Arsenal
2000-01: 10 points over Arsenal
2002-03: 5 points over Arsenal

Juve dominance:
2011-12: 4 points over Milan
2012-13: 9 points over Napoli
2013-14: 17 points over Roma
2014-15: 17 points over Roma
2015-16: 9 points over Napoli
2016-17: 4 points over Roma
2017-18: 4 points over Napoli
2018-19: 11 points over Napoli

I know that are different eras, different Leagues, different economic moment…. but I don't see a big difference in this stats (with only exception of Arsenal in 1998/1999). So I don't know from where it comes the "whataboutery" thing…… Pretty legit question from my point of view.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Have to say that even though I wish he had stayed for some depth (preferably we would've still sold him and brought in another attacker), having Martial back up front has been worth selling even without a replacement. I really get Aguero vibes from him as a CF with his ability to hold off opposition defenders with his strength, dribbling and close control.

Mike Smalling

His match against Lecce:

I'd say it's a 6/10 performance. In this game he pretty much showed all his strengths and weaknesses.
He will most likely score a decent amount of goals in the Serie A, but it is also quite obvious why we will not be missing. Still makes a ton of mistakes in the build-up play. Glad we god rid at a good price.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So Lukaku scoring against Lecce means Serie A is a shit league? :lol:

Stacks

I never liked him as a player as well and anyone can re check my posts about him in his last season performance and he will be amazed by how many times I slaughtered the shite out of him.

But these quotes are nothing really to get salty about. I find it logical for him to defend himself after being slaughtered a lot and sees his opinion as it's. Many players have big egos that they never come and see they were poor. It's normal. I don't find any reason to get worked up about a player defending himself in public.

He was only wrong in this speed test picture he leaked but imo it was a mistake of him leaking an inside info for a joke rather tham aiming it as an insult, as Mata also picked up on it and retweeted by joking as well.
He show a complete lack of self awareness, which is difficult for me to take. its not just him, David Moyes is the same, as is Big Sam. how do you get by in life, not realising your weaknesses and owning up to them? It's a level of narcissism and delusion that regular guys like me cannot comprehend.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He show a complete lack of self awareness, which is difficult for me to take. its not just him, David Moyes is the same, as is Big Sam. how do you get by in life, not realising your weaknesses and owning up to them? It's a level of narcissism and delusion that regular guys like me cannot comprehend.
True, although Keegan was honest enough to admit his failings...and then got slaughtered for it.

pascell

His match against Lecce:

No different to his games for United, majority of the video is him breaking play with horrendous touches and passes. Whether those touches and passes will become a less occurrence once he's fully sharp I'm not sure, that was always his downfall.

He didn't remain respectful to United and clearly was pushing for the move all summer, that's the reason why I dislike him, he was never the right fit for United to begin with but whilst he wore the shirt I supported him.

haram

He played well, started to tire in the latter part of the second half. Powerful on the break, worked the channels well and put in at least 2 dangerous crosses. He lays the ball off and then gets the rebound for his goal, good number 9 play.

He hasn’t had a proper pre season, can get fitter and his team mates will understand him better as the games come. Him and Alexis in a two up front could be very good.

fergiesarmy1

Apparently lost 1/2 stone already on a strict diet set by Conte, begs the question what the hell is happening at Old Trafford/Carrington and KFC.

Irwin99

Apparently lost 1/2 stone already on a strict diet set by Conte, begs the question what the hell is happening at Old Trafford/Carrington and KFC.
It's tradition that we have to have at least one chunky player at the club, e.g Anderson, Rooney, Lukaku, Shaw.

fergiesarmy1

He didn’t want to do the work?
I don’t want to in my job but if I’m paying you millions a year to play football and your overweight you get on the treadmill until that weight is gone, wouldn’t even see a football until it was gone if I was his manager.

3KDré

He will be solid if they feed him in behind the defence and on counters. In fact he will be pretty good in these scenarios. However when they have to build up slowly, as you can see in the videos he will not do well at all. I think he will do reasonably well for Conte and fail in the CL.

UncleBob

His match against Lecce:

Shows good anticipation for his goal and he's difficult to stop if he has the ball under control and enough space ahead of him, that's about it. The rest of it is pretty standard Lukaku, struggles to time headers, struggles with his technique, build up play and passing is pretty bobbins and he likes to point where he reckons his teammate should've been in order to receive a piss poor pass.