Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

MalcolmTucker

Why does anyone care about 'the general play' for a pure no 9? Same with CB's and fullbacks. Its insane.

We had great 'general play' last night but lost, and OleOut want to sack OGS anyway.

No 9 are there to score goals. That is their only metric. And Lukaku is bossing it on that front for Inter, and did well enough for us on that front too.
Sorry but this might be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on here :lol:

Do I really have to explain to you how being able to control a ball, being able to consistently pass to a team mate and being able to create as well as score goals might be beneficial as a forward? As for as CBs and FBs, you've literally ruled out 'general play' for 50% of the players on the pitch - are only the midfielders meant to actually have good general play? Have you watched any football since 1983?

Liverpool just won the league and their number 9 scored 9 league goals this season so your understanding of what a number 9 does is dated to put it kindly. Even so, even by your own 'metric' Lukaku's goalscoring record for us wasn't good enough to mask his shortcomings. If we look at his PL stats, he got 16 and 12 goals in his two seasons here. That's pretty average for someone who by your own admission is there to only score goals. Rashford and Martial beat those goal tallies and better goal to minute ratios with Greenwood having the best goal to minute ratio of all 4.

It's honestly baffling that there are still people who think Lukaku would work here when we literally had two years of him and in turn us being ridiculed for his bad play. Meanwhile our front 3 have outperformed his stats this season while also being able to trap a football and actually being able to score against teams in the top 6.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

why would anyone want lukaku on the bench on the big wages when we got 75m for him and made our defence one of the best in europe with that cash, great trade off.

like people that want sanchez to stay and fight for his place... well there is an opportunity cost to that

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Falling about the place while beong invisible against any top 8 side wasn't an anomoly
Yeah, it was a problem of course. That doesn't mean he couldn't play an important role for a big club though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Do I really have to explain to you how being able to control a ball, being able to consistently pass to a team mate and being able to create as well as score goals might be beneficial as a forward? As for as CBs and FBs, you've literally ruled out 'general play' for 50% of the players on the pitch - are only the midfielders meant to actually have good general play? Have you watched any football since 1983?

Liverpool just won the league and their number 9 scored 9 league goals this season so your understanding of what a number 9 does is dated to put it kindly. Even so, even by your own 'metric' Lukaku's goalscoring record for us wasn't good enough to mask his shortcomings. If we look at his PL stats, he got 16 and 12 goals in his two seasons here. That's pretty average for someone who by your own admission is there to only score goals. Rashford and Martial beat those goal tallies and better goal to minute ratios with Greenwood having the best goal to minute ratio of all 4.

It's honestly baffling that there are still people who think Lukaku would work here when we literally had two years of him and in turn us being ridiculed for his bad play. Meanwhile our front 3 have outperformed his stats this season while also being able to trap a football and actually being able to score against teams in the top 6.
Glad you got all that off your chest! Sleep well.

Squeaky Bumtime

Great post.

Smores

It's incredibly how some of our fans still seem to harbour strong bitter feelings towards him. It says a lot more about them than it does him really.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's incredibly how some of our fans still seem to harbour strong bitter feelings towards him. It says a lot more about them than it does him really.
Well can you blame them? He’s been mouthing off since he left. If he spoke about United like he has tonight a bit more often, I’d bet the fans would be a bit nicer to him.

Jean-Philippe Jason

Supports
Belgian red devils
Too bad it caused some bitterness but Lukaku was right to push for a transfer last year. Prooved the best move for him. AND Man Utd. AND Inter.
You guys are just RIDICULOUS when you write he's shite! He's no Ronaldo and never will be but he scores. Again and again and again.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Thanks

Why was he talking about us in the first place? Assume someone asked him if he wishes he was playing us in the final?
Pretty much that, it was a loaded question and he handled it well

cyberman

Yeah, it was a problem of course. That doesn't mean he couldn't play an important role for a big club though.
I do think its not a coincidence that the goal output from either side of the no 9 have shot up when Martial replaced him.
I wish him all the best though. I hope Inter wins it now

SER19

Hope inter win it as I'd like Italian teams to start getting more competitive, while seeing a side with young, sanchez, lukaku and eriksen win the europa would be a mix of hilarious and depressing

Martialfc

Lukaku is an awful footballer period. He can score goals but he can barely play football let’s be honest. He’s just a big bully and looks good against lesser teams. I’ll give it to him though atleast he tries and has a very good mentality which is a lot more that can be said than half of our players. Martial and Rashford have the mentality of a Jelly bean. I for one am glad Lukaku has gone because it’s brought forward the emergence of Greenwood who I honestly think with the right coaching and service could be godlike.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He wouldn’t have wanted to be a squad player here but would we have won last night if he was playing for us? Probably but thinking long term we made the right decision all round. Our team is inexperienced. This is all part of the learning curve. We will just have to become more ruthless if we don’t want to taste disappointment in the future. I’m happy enough as long as we bring in the quality to help out and rest players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I do think its not a coincidence that the goal output from either side of the no 9 have shot up when Martial replaced him.
I wish him all the best though. I hope Inter wins it now
Ole is a big factor in that too though. He implemented a more expansive style inclusive of the wide areas. Jose wasn't quite the same re. the expansive approach. Its not like Martinez has been lacking goals either for Inter.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He wouldn’t have wanted to be a squad player here but would we have won last night if he was playing for us? Probably but thinking long term we made the right decision all round. Our team is inexperienced. This is all part of the learning curve. We will just have to become more ruthless if we don’t want to taste disappointment in the future. I’m happy enough as long as we bring in the quality to help out and rest players.
We didn't win with him last season or whenever we lost with Mourinho.

Gopher Brown

Lukaku is an awful footballer period. He can score goals but he can barely play football let’s be honest. He’s just a big bully and looks good against lesser teams. I’ll give it to him though atleast he tries and has a very good mentality which is a lot more that can be said than half of our players. Martial and Rashford have the mentality of a Jelly bean. I for one am glad Lukaku has gone because it’s brought forward the emergence of Greenwood who I honestly think with the right coaching and service could be godlike.
I agree with most of that, however, bear in mind that scoring a goal is the most difficult part of football and also the most important thing in football.

monosierra

This is a great transfer for all sides - clearly he was not in the manager's plans and wasn't receiving the emotional support he needed. Inter paid a handsome fee for him and is reaping the rewards while we got most of our money back. The player is happy and both clubs seem to be good trade partners.

Ole'sattheWheel

This is a great transfer for all sides - clearly he was not in the manager's plans and wasn't receiving the emotional support he needed. Inter paid a handsome fee for him and is reaping the rewards while we got most of our money back. The player is happy and both clubs seem to be good trade partners.
Agree. Before the start of the season I didn't like him with all his blabbing to the press but he and united just weren't the right fit.

Wouldn't mind seeing him put 3 past that Sevilla team in the final

frookydinho

I dont think there's any need to call him poor etc. He clearly isn't. He's a very good striker, which he's proving to be with Inter in the right set up. But, he wasn't right for us. We are clearly a better team without him now.

Red_toad

Awful footballer who scores goals! I suppose you do get what actually wins games don't you?

As for our players mentality, I'd say you're very wrong on those points as well. Why aren't you Greenwoodfc? I don't understand the username?

macheda14

You do have to realise that saying something like ‘awful footballer’ denies the level he is playing at. It is slightly pedantic but pretty much everyone who plays at the top level is an unbelievable footballer, they are all in the top 10% (actually 1%) of footballers in the world. He can consistently score goals and even if it is against lesser teams for the most part, very few footballers can even do that. We say things like flat track bully, but how many times have we missed someone like that in the league this year? He wasn’t a perfect fit at a club like ours trying to play expansive and free flowing football, but in no ways is he an awful footballer.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You do have to realise that saying something like ‘awful footballer’ denies the level he is playing at. It is slightly pedantic but pretty much everyone who plays at the top level is an unbelievable footballer, they are all in the top 10% (actually 1%) of footballers in the world. He can consistently score goals and even if it is against lesser teams for the most part, very few footballers can even do that. We say things like flat track bully, but how many times have we missed someone like that in the league this year? He wasn’t a perfect fit at a club like ours trying to play expansive and free flowing football, but in no ways is he an awful footballer.
In context he's an awful footballer. If we had your line of thinking we couldn't call anyone shit, when, in context, there are plenty of shit professional footballers.

However, I don't reckon simply being professional, even in the top flight, means they're necessarily as special at football as the percentages would make it seem. You would expect someone who is in the top 1% in the world (it's even less than this though) to be able to control a football, for example, but alas, we have Lukaku.

Irwin99

Was never the right fit for us but he’s always been a very good goal scorer. No surprise at all that he’s had a good season with Inter. It was a good move for all concerned.

rollingstoned1

we should both let it go at least a year on. Lukaku was never going to fit into Ole's vision of how we wanted to play while a guy like him clearly needs to start on a regular basis since he's good for a goal every other game. In general it seems like a win-win for everyone and we don't have to witness the pleasure of young, sanchez and lukaku rubbing it in after beating us in the final.

RashyForPM

Clearly a great goalscorer, but not a great player. I wouldn’t take him over Martial as Tony is younger and has better control, link-up play and dribbling than Lukaku, but had Tony’s chances fallen to him, we’d be playing Inter in the final.

Just the Europa League though, and I believe a player like Tony can help us more next season in the cut and thrust CL, where we’ll need to create a couple of chances and keep the ball better, things Rom isn’t great at.

Mind you, hope him and Inter win the final. Don’t like Sevilla.

meamth

Clearly a great goalscorer, but not a great player. I wouldn’t take him over Martial as Tony is younger and has better control, link-up play and dribbling than Lukaku, but had Tony’s chances fallen to him, we’d be playing Inter in the final.

Just the Europa League though, and I believe a player like Tony can help us more next season in the cut and thrust CL, where we’ll need to create a couple of chances and keep the ball better, things Rom isn’t great at.

Mind you, hope him and Inter win the final. Don’t like Sevilla.
Well, I don't think so, weirdly enough most of the chances Martial missed last night was similar to what Lukaku would've done.

That volley sums it all up, he just smashed it. (if Lukaku could even control that ball :nervous: )

jem

Class act, could have easily talked shit.
He's always struck as an intelligent and thoughtful man, albeit occasionally immature in his response to adversity. I don't harbour any ill-will towards Lukaku, but certainly don't miss having him at United.

Jev

Regardless of his qualities, which are unquestionable, he wasn't the right fit for us. He might give you more goals in a season than Martial ever will but with Martial in the team and combining with Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno, the fluidity and speed of our attack means we'll create more chances and score more goals than we ever would with Lukaku. That's what people are missing when they focus too narrowly on a striker's goal output; we're playing better with Martial as our no. 9, and we're also scoring more goals, even if Martial isn't always the one who scores them. It's that simple.

KC91

Conte has built a system with Rom as a huge focus. Lots of people saying he wasn’t good enough, but truth be told, other than 1 poor season at UTD, he’s put up big numbers at club level and internationally every where he’s been. His talent is undeniable. Don’t discount the fact that he has been in much better shape this season as well.

Inter is certainly a team trending upwards and is going to be adding even more quality for next season, so who knows what kind of numbers he’ll be putting up then.

Bondi77

Meanwhile, he talked pretty well about us post today's game.

Respectful and he comes across as a good bloke but the simple fact is he was not the style of centre forward that would be accepted at Manchester United.
He was brought in by Jose and that just about sums it up for me.