Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's young, they all are. Some youth is good, bordering essential for a healthy squad i'd say but yeah, I kind of half expect to see a couple of line ups that could play for your u21's this season. I'm probably overestimating how young some of them are but i just dont expect it to end that well. The number of signings being a red flag too where i think if your getting 2 in 3 right your probably doing fantastic and i dont expect you to have done a fantastic job over the last 6 months.
Supporting a team with a few academy or younger players hits different and I think it could be a fun season or two even if you dont quite make top 4/5. Depends on expectations i guess.
Oh I think you're right overall, the squad is too young in key positions. Personally just disagree with the notion that two of those positions where experience is critical are our backup fullbacks.

Even moreso than the youth, in my opinion the biggest obstacle to overcome is lack of cohesion given the extent of squad turnover. That said, the potential mitigating factor here is extra time on the training ground given we aren't in Europe. If we were in the Europa or (shudders) the Conference league, I think it would be almost impossible for us to do well this season.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Liverpool rightly should be told to stump up for Lavia now.

Personally I hope he goes to Brighton.

caid

Oh I think you're right overall, the squad is too young in key positions. Personally just disagree with the notion that two of those positions where experience is critical are our backup fullbacks.

Even moreso than the youth, in my opinion the biggest obstacle to overcome is lack of cohesion given the extent of squad turnover. That said, the potential mitigating factor here is extra time on the training ground given we aren't in Europe. If we were in the Europa or (shudders) the Conference league, I think it would be almost impossible for us to do well this season.
Yeah i agree with that. I think i was more saying that losing the experienced first teamers will hurt beyond the talent of the backups. I'd be a bit desperate to try and keep them fit. James primarily really.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah i agree with that. I think i was more saying that losing the experienced first teamers will hurt beyond the talent of the backups. I'd be a bit desperate to try and keep them fit. James primarily really.
Yeah agreed mate - hopefully we can be a bit more selective with his minutes even though he's now captain. As much as Azpilicueta is a Chelsea legend, he'd been a corpse for a couple seasons especially when used as a RB or RWB - it'd be hard to imagine Gusto as a downgrade overall.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought 55m was silly money, then I remembered we paid 50m for wan Bissaka

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
You’d think Liverpool and Klopp would appeal more to players than Chelsea would…

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How when they're struggling to afford Caicedo?

zaafi

You’d think Liverpool and Klopp would appeal more to players than Chelsea would…
I don't know. Chelsea have more money, can offer higher salary, living in London, better project imo, and when Salah will be gone, Liverpool are going back to 7th. Chelsea in general is just a more likeable team than Liverpool, but that may be my bias talking :lol:

InfiniteBoredom

I don't know. Chelsea have more money, can offer higher salary, living in London, better project imo, and when Salah will be gone, Liverpool are going back to 7th. Chelsea in general is just a more likeable team than Liverpool, but that may be my bias talking :lol:
Another consideration is these players would have grown up watching Chelsea win stuffs for longer & more consistently than the Scousers.

caid

So is Chelsea switching from Adams to Lavia them being spiteful and trying to dick with Liverpool over the Caicedo bid? Or is this a move that really makes sense?
I'm not sure i'd want both Lavia and Caicedo in my team that often. Leaving aside that its yet another young, inexperienced player.

croadyman

So is Chelsea switching from Adams to Lavia them being spiteful and trying to dick with Liverpool over the Caicedo bid? Or is this a move that really makes sense?
I'm not sure i'd want both Lavia and Caicedo in my team that often. Leaving aside that its yet another young, inexperienced player.
Anything that stops scousers is good

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
It's a big season for Liverpool, I'm sure many will be wondering if the good ship Klopp has had its day, there is a sense of decline about this squad.

Plastic Evra

Spite or show of force, IMO. You can probably find some sport excuse for it (crippling a competitor that can't reinforce a weak position).
They'll just loan the players that are surplus for the year. I expect high volume trading and sales next year.

It might come back to bite them... perhaps. Not being very confident regulations or the market will punish them for it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It's a big season for Liverpool, I'm sure many will be wondering if the good ship Klopp has had its day, there is a sense of decline about this squad.
Ye but Chelsea just finished 12th and don’t have a plan/system. There just signing players that other clubs want :lol: They don’t have a scouting team clearly.

Bojan Djordjic

Liverpool rightly should be told to stump up for Lavia now.

Personally I hope he goes to Brighton.
Just don't see Brighton spending €50mn on a player at all. They'll just find the next Caicedo/Lavia before they become Caicedo/Lavia. A €50mn transfer going south could ruin years of hardwork executing their strategy. Brighton's strategy is buying lots of really promising players from cheap markets (Ireland, Paraguay, Ecuador, Sweden, Poland, Denmark) and gambling that a couple of them will turn out to be really good. It feels like its happening for all of them at the minute but once they don't spend a lot, the risk is manageable. Obviously a €50mn transfer going sour would have very big impacts for a small club like Brighton that can just be absorbed by a United/Chelsea/Liverpool

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Chelsea has fixed their midfield with this addition

Lost a destroyer in kante replaced with Caceido

Lost a ball carrier/press resistant midfielder in kovacic and loftus cheek replace with lavia and Chukwuemeka

I do not understand why people are confused about why Chelsea are interested in these players. His addition though may mean less game time for Gallagher and Chukwuemeka. But, Pochettino may prefer the experience of the later. Who knows.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This one for over £40m is not a loss at all. There are others out there for under £40m we can try for. He can play the Caicedo role while Caicedo is forced to play the Reece role for most of the season.

Of course Chelsea could just buy a replacement RB for 100m, no (FFP) worries, so forget the above.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
This one for over £40m is not a loss at all. There are others out there for under £40m we can try for. He can play the Caicedo role while Caicedo is forced to play the Reece role for most of the season.

Of course Chelsea could just buy a replacement RB for 100m, no (FFP) worries, so forget the above.
We did, Gusto.

Waynne

Someone please explain to me how the feck Chelsea is able to throw around money like this with all this FFP nonsense going on?

Did I miss something because aren't these guys now close to $1 Billion spent on transfers in the last few windows?

It's fecking insane.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Someone please explain to me how the feck Chelsea is able to throw around money like this with all this FFP nonsense going on?

Did I miss something because aren't these guys now close to $1 Billion spent on transfers in the last few windows?

It's fecking insane.
Well it helps that clubs paid them over 200 million this summer for player . I think United & Arsenal could have done a better job rather than pay over the top for Mount & Havertz