Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's not talked about enough. How can a team spend 900m in 12 months and comply with FFP?
I'm not accusing anyone but someone needs to explain.
Amortisation over contract length and sales

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
there's a write-up on Reddit about Chelsea and FFP but someone who seems to know they're on about

That’s the UEFA squad FFP which is a piece of piss to pass if you sell a HG player annually. However, Chelsea posted losses of 235m in May, spent ridiculous amounts last summer and in January and continue to spend huge amounts now with zero European football. You’re allowed 35m losses over 3 years - so if someone can explain how Chelsea can spend twice their annual revenue on transfers alone having posted huge losses last May with European football and still make a profit without I’d love to know.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The overrating of Lavia here is just way over the top. He is a huge talent, but suggesting he's better already than McTominay is a stretch.
You say that like McTominay is any kind of high bar to clear.

He belongs with your Tom Cleverlys and Danny Murphys. Players who are just barely good enough to warm the bench for a top club and got way more game time than their talent merited.

mav_9me

How often does this ever actually work out like that?
Thinking about it, for some reason only examples I get are from Real. Ronaldo, Benzema, Varane. And now Camavinga and Vinicius will give them years.

Oldyella

He did not look "head and shoulders above" all of his team mates, no. And even if he did, that's not saying much as they got relegated.
We signed Keane after his team got relegated. He did alright.

Cassidy

He looked head and shoulders above all his team mates and more than held his own against better midfielders last season. I would say he’s pretty comfortable.
He didn't, he's a very good prospect, but if you watched him closely last season its easy to see he has some major gaps in his game.
This is expected at his age though

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We signed Keane after his team got relegated. He did alright.
Slightly different as Keane had already had two full seasons at Forest before they got relegated - where they finished 8th in both season and reached a cup final in both seasons too.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Forgot about this lad! This place couldn't shut up about him at one point.
He's still a very solid defensive midfielder and Klopp style of play isn't particularly obsessed with players who play safe passing options, which was the thing against Sangaré (he likes to try through passes).

NLunited

Good thing we are not in for him because he is way way too expensive. Makes Mount and Hojlund look like bargains.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thinking about it, for some reason only examples I get are from Real. Ronaldo, Benzema, Varane. And now Camavinga and Vinicius will give them years.
Maybe Luke Shaw with us, though some of the years were plighted with injury or falling out of favour.

Jam

Admittedly I wasn't a fan of the Mount purchase. Wasn't an admirer of him anyway, and thought the fee for him with his contract situation was too high.

Now based on how the rest of the summer has went.... we've got a bargain.

marfans

Supports
Chelsea FC
Yep it is available for everyone to do but at the same time extremely risky as you aren’t shifting anyone on any time soon if they are a failed signing. Just looking at some of the contract lengths for their players, it’s pretty insane. They could have a stack of failed transfers just collecting pay checks for years.

Enzo - 9 years
Badiashille - 8yrs
Mudryk - 8yrs
Madueke - 8yrs
Caicedo - 8yrs
Wes Fofana - 7yrs
David Fofana - 7yrs
Nkunku - 6yrs
Cucurella - 6yrs
Broja - 6yrs

Looking just at the list above, there’s only really 3 of them that look like they have a good chance of being regular first teamers.
What I see here aren't objective reasoning. you stated 3 players but looking at that list and comparing the amount spent beside Cucu and Wes the rest are fine. Just because you are signed for 8yrs doesn't mean we can't sell you the next window. The long contract comes with risk as we recently witnessed with Harry Kane at Spurs that signed for 6yrs. It is a 2 way stream.

Woziak

Amortisation over contract length and sales
They have removed £207m worth of players with £77m of homegrown talent, three players ; Mason Mount, E Ampidu, RLF. Amortisation allows 4 to 5 times this value which allows them to spend £250-£300m from an FFP point of view providing they balance with sales which they have.

Chelsea previously found a loop hole in the system last season by amortising the cost of the £560m they spent by issuing 8 year contracts which allowed them to divide the net transfer cost by 8 years, so basically they spent £70m per year in their accounts and no longer had any debt associated with the club because of new ownership and Roman’s £1.25bn loan being written off.

They can no longer amortise the sales by 8 years after Cerefin blocked the loophole this season and made 5 years the maximum. The problem Chelsea have is FSP which is Financial Sustainability, they can only spend 90% of their actual revenue from 2022/23 season on Wages, Financials, Expenses, Agent Fees etc
So assuming they have a turnover of £500m, they can spend £450m on wages, net. Transfer, Financial and Agent fees.

The reality is the Chelsea Owners have found huge loop holes in the current FFP/FSP rules.

Cassidy

They have removed £207m worth of players with £77m of homegrown talent, three players ; Mason Mount, E Ampidu, RLF. Amortisation allows 4 to 5 times this value which allows them to spend £250-£300m from an FFP point of view providing they balance with sales which they have.

Chelsea previously found a loop hole in the system last season by amortising the cost of the £560m they spent by issuing 8 year contracts which allowed them to divide the net transfer cost by 8 years, so basically they spent £70m per year in their accounts and no longer had any debt associated with the club because of new ownership and Roman’s £1.25bn loan being written off.

They can no longer amortise the sales by 8 years after Cerefin blocked the loophole this season and made 5 years the maximum. The problem Chelsea have is FSP which is Financial Sustainability, they can only spend 90% of their actual revenue from 2022/23 season on Wages, Financials, Expenses, Agent Fees etc
So assuming they have a turnover of £500m, they can spend £450m on wages, net. Transfer, Financial and Agent fees.

The reality is the Chelsea Owners have found huge loop holes in the current FFP/FSP rules.
Yes they can because Chelsea are not in Europe

OmarUnited4ever

I don't know who started it but Chelsea were trying to get Caicedo for below 100m but they ended up paying 115, while Liverpool were trying to get Lavia for 45m-50m but they will end up paying 60m

Both attempted to hijack the other's deal which caused the prices to go up :lol:

Dannn411

The overrating of Lavia here is just way over the top. He is a huge talent, but suggesting he's better already than McTominay is a stretch. He has played 2000 PL minutes and just got relegated and mostly dominated in midfield apart from a few matches where he looked really good.

He has a way higher ceiling than him, but better now? Nope. McTominay would look much better if he was a Southampton player without the bias and less expectations.
He is definitely already better than Mctominay. It's not close either.

Steve Bruce

I don't know who started it but Chelsea were trying to get Caicedo for below 100m but they ended up paying 115, while Liverpool were to get Lavia for 45m-50m but they will end up paying 60m

Both attempted to hijack the other's deal which caused the prices to go up :lol:
I think if chelsea do get lavia they are just flexing because liverpool tried to hijack caicedo.

I hope chelsea do get him, the meltdown would be glorious

Chief123

The overrating of Lavia here is just way over the top. He is a huge talent, but suggesting he's better already than McTominay is a stretch. He has played 2000 PL minutes and just got relegated and mostly dominated in midfield apart from a few matches where he looked really good.

He has a way higher ceiling than him, but better now? Nope. McTominay would look much better if he was a Southampton player without the bias and less expectations.
I don’t think it’s over rating anyone by saying they are better than Mctominay. Mctominay is bang average and players of his level are available by the bucket load.

cyberman

The loophole is still there for teams not in Europe, it’s only a UEFA rule.
From what I’ve read today

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
McTominay is world class and Lavia will never be near his level. McTominay will end up leading this club to several European championships. He is a rolls Royce midfielder. Lavia is Tom Cleverley reincarnate

RuudTom83

Thankfully United were quick to make moves this summer and got their deals done early...potentially savings a lot of money on the 3 players that arrived. Notably Mount who would go for a lot more if the deal was initiated now.

zaafi

Huh? McTominay is dogshit and wouldn‘t make the bench at any of the other big PL clubs. Lavia meanwhile has been highly sought after by most of them. He’s miles more talented and better right now than McTominay before he has even realized that talent fully.
You say that like McTominay is any kind of high bar to clear.

He belongs with your Tom Cleverlys and Danny Murphys. Players who are just barely good enough to warm the bench for a top club and got way more game time than their talent merited.
He is definitely already better than Mctominay. It's not close either.
It seems this is based on the player he could become, rather than the player Lavia is right now. I agree that Lavia has a much higher ceiling, and if he develops like you assume, then good for him, Liverpool will have a nice player in their midfield.
I don't even like McTominay at all, but it's just wrong saying that a 19 year old midfielder who got dominated in nearly every game, made a fair amount of mistakes (normal for his age), dispossessed often, barely moves the ball around and he almost never passes it forward, loses challenges too often as a CDM, doesn't carry the ball and isn't a goal threat, not to mention the lack of creativity, which McTominay is also very bad at.

You'd lose your shit if Lavia had been playing CDM instead of Casemiro and put in some of the performances he's had for Southampton. Looking "impressive" in a Southampton team is very different than the standards that are at United. What he does isn't really anything great, it's his age that makes it impressive. He's also very calm and collected, and quite press resistance. That does not make him a better player yet. Besides, how many of the younger midfielders that get their debut early actually become great midfielders in the PL?

Let's see how he does for Liverpool first. Looking forward to see him develop, but I honestly don't think he'll be anything special.

Last edited:

Chief123

Just because you are signed for 8yrs doesn't mean we can't sell you the next window. The long contract comes with risk as we recently witnessed with Harry Kane at Spurs that signed for 6yrs. It is a 2 way stream.
That’s exactly why there is a “risk” with these long contracts. You’re saying it like it’s easy to sell a player on if they fail. The problem is if they are on big paying contracts, it’s hard to move them on especially if they are failed and not performing. Same issue we’ve had at utd with players who are surplus to requirements but we can’t shift them on because buying clubs can’t offer the wages they are on.

prateik

Wait.. after making several bids in the 40ish million range, they bid 111m for Caicedo and the player turned them down.. they went back with 60m for Lavia and he wants to go to Chelsea too?

Rough..

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
What I see here aren't objective reasoning. you stated 3 players but looking at that list and comparing the amount spent beside Cucu and Wes the rest are fine. Just because you are signed for 8yrs doesn't mean we can't sell you the next window. The long contract comes with risk as we recently witnessed with Harry Kane at Spurs that signed for 6yrs. It is a 2 way stream.
Do you not remember Winston Bogarde's legendary Chelsea career?

Traub

Wait.. after making several bids in the 40ish million range, they bid 111m for Caicedo and the player turned them down.. they went back with 60m for Lavia and he wants to go to Chelsea too?

Rough..
It's shambolic. Exactly how we used to operate under Woodward. I reckon Caicedo's agent played them to get Chelsea to up their bid, and in the end Liverpool have lost out massively.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Lavia just feels unnecessary for Chelsea and a bad move for the player. They aren't in Europe, they play a 4-2-3-1 type system with only two real CMs, and they have Enzo and Caicedo who will start every match plus Gallagher, Chukwumeka, Ugochukwu, and Andrey Santos. Maybe one of these guys will end up in Strasbourg but there aren't enough minutes for all of them even before adding Lavia.

In the end, you need to get young players minutes, show them the path to the first team, and then let them take steps along that path in stages. Buying four highly rated 19-year-olds for the same position, who will not just compete against each other but will all be blocked by the two uber expensive 21/22-year-olds you also bought and who are guaranteed starters for the next 3-4 years, is just a crazy use of resources.

IrishRedDevil

Thankfully United were quick to make moves this summer and got their deals done early...potentially savings a lot of money on the 3 players that arrived. Notably Mount who would go for a lot more if the deal was initiated now.
We still need a midfielder.

Alemar

If Lavia snubs them just like Caicedo did, will Liverpool finally bid for McTominay? :)

Alemar

Yes, but now the price has gone up.

We will accept nothing short of £60m for him! :p
It would be funny if this transfer indeed happens. I don’t think our teams often make transfer business with each other, but it would be a special occasion :)

Charlie Foley

Did he even have an option to pick? Doesnt't look like Liverpool were prepared to go above 45m for him so never had a bid accepted. Chelsea just stumped up 55m and job done.

If this spending spree doesn't work out im not sure where that will leave Chelsea, will/can they keep up this kind of spending? Doesn't fit the atypical America style of ownership we have come to expect.
Are we sure about this?