Ronaldo’s World Cup number 5. What can we expect? Could he surprise everyone or is he done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Nate

I can't for the life of me figure out how he can possibly have a good WC. He can't stay onside without getting beat by any average center midfielder, so he won't get any goals on the break. Unless they're getting lots of set pieces or a lot of play in the box, he's almost useless. This season, he has struggled to receive balls (not for lack of trying) and on the occasions that he gets them down, he's struggled to find the net. Defenders don't respect him any more and regularly take the ball from him. The Ronaldo in his head has not come to terms with the Ronaldo on the pitch and it's getting uncomfortable to watch.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I expect a lot of the ball hitting the wall on free kicks and an early exit, maybe right from the round of 16. He unfortunately still has Portugal by the balls as far as being an automatic starter, and his manager isn't going to stand up to him. This will only affect him. He won't have a Zidane-like final world cup, I'm pretty much certain of that. Best hope Portugal has is that he gets injured early enough that they can't count of him. As a French fan, I've always maintained that if he never got hurt, France would have beaten Portugal in the final in 2016. Once he got hurt, they became far less predictable. We still should have won it, but you didn't know where the danger came from at that point.
France should have won in 2016, even without Ronaldo on the pitch.

Can't get more unlucky than hitting the post in the last minute.

And if iirc, the goal Eder scored came from a play after a free kick that wasn't a free kick for Portugal, the hand that the referee saw wasn't from a french player but from a portuguese, and somehow he still gave the free kick to Portugal.

Well it was time for Portugal to be lucky, they were unlucky a lot of times in the past.

davisjw

Injury in the first game, doesn't play again. Portugal go on to win it without him.

He still storms the stage, grabs the trophy and lifts it above his head shouting, "I did it! You're welcome everyone!"

PSV

I'd imagine that if he somehow manages to get 4 or more goals he's going to be the oldest player at the 2026 WC.

RedOrange

He’s ronaldo.

There is no way he stays, even if someone takes him just for the clicks. The thing is I do think his poor form is due to all the issues he had and missing pre season. He’s almost had a pre season of a season since he hasn’t played much and I could see the fresh start of Portugal do wonders for him.

only thing is he needs to realize he’s 37 and the fact he’s played 90 minutes this season is insane
He's obviously not going to play for United. The question is how much of his wages the club has to eat to get rid of him, and if he plays terribly at the world cup after putting on this whole show, no one will pay anything to take him of our hands.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hopefully he has a great World Cup personally, Im not sure that Portugal have the players to make an impact but I’d like to see Ronaldo do well personally. Outside of him they have no chance.

AlPistacho

Portugal have quite a hard group. Won’t be surprised if they don’t qualify and the weaklink is him. South Korea, Ghana, Uruguay are all pretty attacking , fast, skilful and athletic teams.

Uguudei

One thing is certain. If he has a good world cup. His fans will mock ETH. If he fails his fans will blame ETH...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He brought in with 3 minutes to go. Scores a goal, and then that will be his role for the rest of Portugal games.

Tibs

Ronaldo needs 10 goals with WC to be top scorer ever, and Messi 11.

IF any of the two goats manage it, they'll win the WC

MrEleson

Hopefully he has a great World Cup personally, Im not sure that Portugal have the players to make an impact but I’d like to see Ronaldo do well personally. Outside of him they have no chance.
Portugal have a good side. Why do they have no chance outside of Ronaldo?

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
You think they are winning the World Cup without Ronaldo influencing it?
Do you think Ronaldo deserves place in their 11 based on current quality?

Btw, another one of silly Ronaldo moments is his "leadership" in Euro 2016 final. He is made some sort of hero because of shouting from byline as if what he did was more influental than what other players actually did on the pitch.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm his biggest fan, close to it. But I wish him the worst possible World Cup.

Boondog

Hope he plays like shite. When I watch Portugal I'll be rooting for Bruno & Dalot.

MrEleson

You think they are winning the World Cup without Ronaldo influencing it?
I’m just saying that they have a good squad in general that should be able to beat the other teams in their group even without Ronaldo. However, contrary to others on here, I do still think he’s a key player for the side.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is on clear decline, but who knows? Playing his last WC with the support from Portuguese coach/teammates, may motivates him more. I think he is still capable of having a purple patch once a while.

Nero

He'll score a couple of penalties and it will be justification he's 'back'.

Demon Barber

I expect a lot of posturing and aggrieved arm waving, plenty of sulks and disgruntlement, followed by a cheeky wink by Rashford as he is sent off.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Do you think Ronaldo deserves place in their 11 based on current quality?

Btw, another one of silly Ronaldo moments is his "leadership" in Euro 2016 final. He is made some sort of hero because of shouting from byline as if what he did was more influental than what other players actually did on the pitch.
The way he’s played this season absolutely not. At his age…do I think it’s just form rather than decline…absolutely not….Do I think Portugal win the World Cup without Ronaldo having a great tournament….absolutely not.

Do we really need to talk about silly moments? He’s a footballer with a massive ego…but he’s perhaps been the most dedicated and focussed player of the modern era, meaning that the clubs and nation team have reaped the benefits.

Some great players have had their own silly moments, Scholes refusing to even turn up to play with his teammates. Keane slating his teammates, slating his manager and getting booted out of his club and a World Cup, Rooney smoking, drinking and eating junk food regularly, sleeping with pensioners behind his wife’s back, drinking boxing and getting dropped by Phil Bardsley….along with many more.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don't think they're winning it either way, but the probably have a better chance with him not on the pitch.
Depends on how you look at it, because I agree and disagree. You’re surmising that Ronaldo isn’t capable of pulling out a last hurrah….if he isn’t then he’s not going to be much use to Portugal, that said they then have next to zero chance, saving Felix suddenly finding his potential and having a ‘James’ tournament.

If Ronaldo can pull out a last hurrah, and looking back to the end of last season where he was exceptional for us in a team that had down tools, I’d say that’s a possibility….then I’d strongly disagree. You’d have to be bitter and delusional to think that one of the greatest players to ever live would be better on the bench if on form.

Boondog

Dude has probably been loading roids to ensure he plays better in the wc.

Status
Not open for further replies.