Ronaldo’s World Cup number 5. What can we expect? Could he surprise everyone or is he done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Hat-trick in every game before scoring the winning penalty in the final.

Bertie Wooster

Not expecting a 'big' tournament from him.

After 15 years or so of being the leader and key player, and leading the nation to their first major international titles, he enters this tournament more in the role of a Pauleta or Nuno Gomes.

So he's reliant on some of the 'younger' generation - Bruno, Bernardo Silva, Joao Felix, etc - to step up and do what the likes of him, Rui Costa, Luis Figo, etc, have done in past tournaments. If some of those can step up to those levels, Ronaldo still has it in him to perform the Pauleta / Nuno Gomes role. If none of the others step up to the necessary elite levels, then he's not capable of doing that anymore himself.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I hope he would score a few goals, gives us some good memories in WC, and end his career in a more graceful manner.

Herman Toothrot

Be funny if a minor hamstring/stubbed toe took him out for the next month. Nothing too serious, just a light tickling of karma.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
He's so done that Gordon Ramsey has thrown him in the bin and shut the kitchen down despite there being 2 hours left of service.

Chairman Steve

For his sake, he better win the thing with Portugal as it gives him the absolutely perfect point to retire on.

Shai-Hulud

He'll probably get one goal and all the insufferable fanboys will say "I told you so!" :lol:

We need him to do well in the hope of getting any kind of fee.
There's no chance of that. We'll be lucky if we can cancel the contract or get someone to take him without us paying 50% or more of the wages.

tomaldinho1

He'll probably get one goal and all the insufferable fanboys will say "I told you so!" :lol:

There's no chance of that. We'll be lucky if we can cancel the contract or get someone to take him without us paying 50% or more of the wages.
I’m hoping a hattrick v Ghana and Boehly sees dollar signs.

prateik

He'll surprise everyone for sure. I dont think the world has any idea how bad he is these days.. the whole world watching.. he's going to play at his level and everyone will finally understand why no one wants him.

Shimo

He very well could score 5-7 goals this world cup. Portugal are a good team and even though he has been absolute crap this season with his finishing for us, there is aways a chance he could find his scoring boots.

But, was watching ESPN thing and question was asked to the group, if he does score a bunch of goals, will teams reconsider signing him? Simple answer is no - evidence of his affect on the style of play is evident and more than that the huge amount of baggage one has to deal if he isn't getting his way should he not be performing and get dropped or subbed.

I know we're all mad, but don't underestimate him. He could end up having a banger.

But feck him.

RVN1991

He will surprise a lot of casual fans for sure, not in a good way but the whole world will see what a terrible footballer he is now.

MrEleson

Impossible to say. In the past, I would have put good money on him to go out and have an incredible tournament after how wild and damaging the last few days have been for his reputation. Such is the kind of player he is when the chips are down. Even just 1-2 years ago, I still wouldn’t bet against him.

However, now he’s just too old and he wouldn’t have played in about 3 weeks when the tournament gets rolling as he’ll miss Portugal’s pre-tournament game tomorrow.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
International football (national teams) is B-standard these days. It can't be denied anymore, as far as I'm concerned. The pace is slower, it's nowhere near as intense (as top level club football), it's just generally more random and shoddy.

So, based on that, it's certainly possible that he could look better for Portugal than he has recently for United.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I hope he would score a few goals, gives us some good memories in WC, and end his career in a more graceful manner.
And I hope he's dropped for the first game, throws a massive tantrum and flies back to Portugal just to show the world how much of a cnut he really is. Ronaldo is all about Ronaldo. He can go feck himself with a pointy stick.

LordSpud

He very well could score 5-7 goals this world cup. Portugal are a good team and even though he has been absolute crap this season with his finishing for us, there is aways a chance he could find his scoring boots.

But, was watching ESPN thing and question was asked to the group, if he does score a bunch of goals, will teams reconsider signing him? Simple answer is no - evidence of his affect on the style of play is evident and more than that the huge amount of baggage one has to deal if he isn't getting his way should he not be performing and get dropped or subbed.
He's only scored 7 goals in his previous 4 World Cups and 3 of those were the hattrick vs Spain. Crazy stat!

Foxbatt

International football (national teams) is B-standard these days. It can't be denied anymore, as far as I'm concerned. The pace is slower, it's nowhere near as intense (as top level club football), it's just generally more random and shoddy.

So, based on that, it's certainly possible that he could look better for Portugal than he has recently for United.
He definitely would as they have a better team than us and the opposition at the least in the group stages are crap compared to the PL teams.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Second top scorer in the tournament
Bayern signs him
18th top scorer in Bundesliga

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The last Siuuu he will score once and they'll get knocked out the game after the group stage because he's easier to mark out of the game now.

You'll see him cry because its has list world cup, people will feel sorry for him at that point and he will be forced out of the club when he gets back.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
His legs are gone, but it's a stretch of 5-6 games with probable rest in between if they got through early.

With his determination, i think he can really push for one last push at this world cup

Pirlo did it when he's 39

Status
Not open for further replies.