Ronaldo is the goat

jimorrison

NOPE

Pele is the G.O.A.T.

when cristiano scores in a world cup final at the age of 17 and then wins the World cup 2 more times.
than he can be considered the G.O.A.T.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
NOPE

Pele is the G.O.A.T.

when cristiano scores in a world cup final at the age of 17 and then wins the World cup 2 more times.
Brazil and Portugal aren’t really equal though are they? Such a flawed argument.

Revan

Assumptionman
NOPE

Pele is the G.O.A.T.

He was really magnificent in world Cup 1962, wasn't he?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
He was really magnificent in world Cup 1962, wasn't he?
Played one game, which was still enough time for him to get MOTM an assist and score one of the all time great world cup goals:

(4 defenders, the video poster over eggs it a bit)

Neo_Mufc

I think there's too many factors to judge Pele, Maradonna , Messi and Ronaldo as football has changed so much since the 60s.

Any argument can easily be counter argued till the cows come home.

Messi vs Ronaldo should be the easiest to evidence but still opinions are divided.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think there's too many factors to judge Pele, Maradonna , Messi and Ronaldo as football has changed so much since the 60s.

Any argument can easily be counter argued till the cows come home.

Messi vs Ronaldo should be the easiest to evidence but still opinions are divided.
Yep. This is why it is best to have a pool of GOAT and agree on players who are part of this pool. From there on, it is personal preference/biases.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
NOPE

Pele is the G.O.A.T.

The world cup is just part of a player's career (a very small part).

SpyLuke10

Played one game, which was still enough time for him to get MOTM an assist and score one of the all time great world cup goals:

(4 defenders, the video poster over eggs it a bit)
Those defenders look absolutely rubbish and the guy running along side him is lazy af.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
My god, Messi has had a mare the past 3 years. I think he might retire early. Not next season or anything, but after he runs his contract.
It's crazy how much Cristiano has closed the gap.
Hmmm. Barca won La Liga fairly easily and almost went undefeated for the season. Messi was top scorer and tied for most assists. That's what you call a mare?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Its 3 weeks every 4 years. The real foundation of football is at the club level, where the likes of Ronaldo and Messi have dominated more than anyone before them.
They also have a stronger foundation (consistent club and NT money, training facilities, nutrition, medical science, data analysis) than any players previous.
Put Pele, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Maradona in one of these modern super clubs and they'd dominate just as much.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They also have a stronger foundation (consistent club and NT money, training facilities, nutrition, medical science, data analysis) than any players previous.
Put Pele, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Maradona in one of these modern super clubs and they'd dominate just as much.
You could also easily invert that and say Messi and Ronaldo would've run circles around the defenders of the past since all the factors you cited (facilities, nutrition, data analysis etc) weren't available then. Unfortunately these are all just thought experiments. All we can go by is what the various players have actually done during their careers. The only variable that has changed is the level of competition from then to now since the football talent pool has been fully internationalized, whereas it was more regional in those days. More players from disparate backgrounds today makes the competition much more difficult than in the past.

Ji_Maria

Its 3 weeks every 4 years. The true foundation of football is at the club level, where the likes of Ronaldo and Messi have dominated more than anyone before them.
The problem is, this is not logical. If Player X is GOAT, then Player X should be able to dominate in any setting, bar having absolutely horrid teammates. Ronaldo Lima dominated in every team he played in, whether in Spain, Italy or for his country.

Ronaldo CR7 dominated in the EPL, Spain but failed to do much for his country, but then Portugal are really awful.

Messi dominated in La Liga, nowhere else, and is a failure for his country despite having had an amazing team in 2014.

This is the biggest problem when it comes to discussing GOAT. Messi detractors rightly question the World Cup. If it was as insignificant as you said, Messi should just as well have done far better in 4 different attempts. Probability alone would dictate that he would do well 50% of the time. But 100% of the time, Messi has failed to show up at the World Cup. Questions rightly should be asked. Why can you not perform when you have teammates like Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain, Mascherano, etc.?

The ONLY plausible explanation under your theory, is that Messi simply thinks the World Cup is a sideshow and doesn't care at all. But even so, even assuming Messi doesn't care about the World Cup, for a supposed GOAT, if you are playing against teams like Bosnia or Iran, you should be expected to bang in goals or assists for fun. But for some reason, he failed to do so.

So that leads to only three logical conclusions:

1) He really, utterly does not care about the World Cup, and can't be arsed to even put in 10% effort against teams like Bosnia
2) He's the unluckiest player of all time and it's his teammates and/or coach's fault
3) While talented, much of his success at Barcelona was the result of his teammates, Gaurdiola and the team being built around him

I think options 2 and 3 are both plausible, but trying to obfuscate the issue by detracting the importance of the World Cup is nothing more than a straw man.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Its 3 weeks every 4 years. The true foundation of football is at the club level, where the likes of Ronaldo and Messi have dominated more than anyone before them.
There's also a difference in culture.

In the 1980s it wasn't seen as a strength for a player like Maradona to go to the defending EC holders, it was seen as a weakness.
In today's world, not going to Barca, RM or Bayern is seen as "unambitious" but we forget that in the 1980s going to a non-champion and elevating them was seen as the most ambitious move possible culturally.

It was a different era in terms of what fans perceived as being the most meaningful achievements.

You could also easily invert that and say Messi and Ronaldo would've run circles around the defenders of the past since all the factors you cited (facilities, nutrition, data analysis etc) weren't available then. Unfortunately these are all just thought experiments. All we can go by is what the various players have actually done during their careers. The only variable that has changed is the level of competition from then to now since the football talent pool has been fully internationalized whereas it was more regional in those days. More players from disparate backgrounds today makes the competition much more difficult than in the past.
Defenders of the past were given far more liberty in regards to rough defending. Neither Messi nor Ronaldo ever faced a high pressure tournament game with someone like Gentile on them getting away with all sorts of dark arts the entire match that would get called in favor of the offensive player in today's world.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The problem is, this is not logical. If Player X is GOAT, then Player X should be able to dominate in any setting, bar having absolutely horrid teammates. Ronaldo Lima dominated in every team he played in, whether in Spain, Italy or for his country.

Ronaldo CR7 dominated in the EPL, Spain but failed to do much for his country, but then Portugal are really awful.

Messi dominated in La Liga, nowhere else, and is a failure for his country despite having had an amazing team in 2014.

This is the biggest problem when it comes to discussing GOAT. Messi detractors rightly question the World Cup. If it was as insignificant as you said, Messi should just as well have done far better in 4 different attempts. Probability alone would dictate that he would do well 50% of the time. But 100% of the time, Messi has failed to show up at the World Cup. Questions rightly should be asked. Why can you not perform when you have teammates like Aguero, Di Maria, Mascherano, etc.?
Brazilian Ronaldo was good for very short periods that were interrupted by injury and each time he returned he wasn't quite as good. CR7 and Messi were very good for a protracted period of time that is unmatched by any other player. They have been turning in goals such as what Ronaldo did for one year at Barca in the mid 90s, for an entire decade.

Ji_Maria

Brazilian Ronaldo was good for very short periods that were interrupted by injury and each time he returned he wasn't quite as good. CR7 and Messi were very good for a protracted period of time that is unmatched by any other player. They have been turning in goals such as what Ronaldo did for one year at Barca in the mid 90s, for an entire decade.
That's undeniable. We kind of understand why CR7 hasn't won the World Cup because Portugal are garbage, but why isn't Messi banging in the goals for Argentina against Bosnia or Iran?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

In the 1980s it wasn't seen as a strength for a player like Maradona to go to the defending EC holders, it was seen as a weakness.
In today's world, not going to Barca, RM or Bayern is seen as "unambitious" but we forget that in the 1980s going to a non-champion and elevating them was seen as the most ambitious move possible culturally.

It was a different era in terms of what fans perceived as being the most meaningful achievements.
True and I wouldn't penalize Maradona for not going to bigger clubs. His play however wasn't at a high level for long enough compared with what the present two have done since the mid 2000s.

gerdm07

Since 2009/10:

La Liga Titles: 6 to 2 (Messi)
CL Titles: 4 to 2 (Ronaldo)
La Liga top scorer: 6 to 3 (Messi)
CL Top Scorers: 6 to 4 (Ronaldo)

I think these are the stats that really matter because it's comparing apples to apples as they played in the same league with equally top teams.

The only real conclusion one can determine from this is that Ronaldo is a better cup player, and Messi is a better league player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's undeniable. We kind of understand why CR7 hasn't won the World Cup because Portugal are garbage, but why isn't Messi banging in the goals for Argentina against Bosnia or Iran?
That's definitely a knock on Messi. He has been surrounded by a lot of world class talent during his time with Argentina and yet they have generally flattered to deceive. Ronaldo's Portugal have done just as well at the international level during his time there, which is surprising given the stature disparity between Argentina and Portugal.

Ji_Maria

True and I wouldn't penalize Maradona for not going to bigger clubs. His play however wasn't at a high level for long enough compared with what the present two have done since the mid 2000s.
Modern sports science, training and recovery methods, more protection from referees, etc., have all contributed to prolonging the careers of players. If you recall Ronaldo Lima's era, defenders would as a default hack at your legs or go for dangerous slide tackles with reckless abandon. If either CR7 or Messi had started playing 10 years earlier, I doubt their careers would have been so long. This is why I don't really like to look at longevity of careers given how much football has changed since 2000.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Since 2009/10:

CL Top Scorers: 6 to 4 (Ronaldo)

I think these are the stats that really matter because it's comparing apples to apples as they played in the same league with equally top teams.

The only real conclusion one can determine from this is that Ronaldo is a better cup player, and Messi is a better league player.
I prefer looking at individual stats (mainly goals scored) than how many trophies they have, since the latter is more of a team accomplishment. Both of them have averaged 47 goals since 2006 which is absolutely mindboggling given that its very rare for a player in any of the big leagues to score that many in a single year much less average that many over 13 seasons.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Well its not exactly unmatched.

Puskas 1943-1966
514 goals in 530 matches (Honved and RM)
Pele 1956-1977
643 in 656 official matches for Santos
Zico is the closest to Messi's calendar year goals with 89 goals.
Gerd Muller (505 goals in 560 matches)

I think its the unique combination of individual and club achievements in this era that makes Messi and Ronaldo stand out but that combination is also a consequence of the current era's concentration of money and talent into super clubs.
I am not necessarily saying that any of those above players are "better" or "greater" than the two current greats, but I don't think its so simply as tallying Ballon D'Ors and CLs and claiming their achievements are somehow above the older players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well its not exactly unmatched.

Puskas 1943-1966
514 goals in 530 matches (Honved and RM)
Pele 1956-1977
643 in 656 official matches for Santos
Zico is the closest to Messi's calendar year goals with 89 goals.
Gerd Muller (505 goals in 560 matches)

I think its the unique combination of individual and club achievements in this era that makes Messi and Ronaldo stand out but that combination is also a consequence of the current era's concentration of money and talent into super clubs.
I am not necessarily saying that any of those above players are "better" or "greater" than the two current greats, but I don't think its so simply as tallying Ballon D'Ors and CLs and claiming their achievements are somehow above the older players.
My only issue is the players of the distant past played during an era when football was distinctly homogenous and regional, whereas over the past decade it has become truly international with a talent pool in the big European leagues that reflects every corner of the planet, which results in a much higher level of competition. Its a bit like differentiating modern Tennis with the pre-Open era. The quality of the participants has steadily improved over time to where its very difficult to compare players from the past with the present.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
My only issue is the players of the distant past played during an era when football was distinctly homogenous and regional, whereas over the past decade it has become truly international with a talent pool in the big European leagues that reflects every corner of the planet, which results in a much higher level of competition. Its a bit like differentiating modern Tennis with the pre-Open era. The quality of the participants has steadily improved over time to where its very difficult to compare players from the past with the present.
The flip side to that is that the current system concentrates so much talent in so few clubs it doesn't offer the competition that 1980-90s Serie A offered (which is what differentiates it from an individualistic sport like tennis in your example).
1990s Serie A also had many top talents from around the world but it wasn't concentrated so heavily in the 2-3 richest clubs, talent was more evenly distributed throughout the league.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien

Im not convinced it was really like this culturally across the top leagues and it comes off a bit as a blanket statement but maybe you can educate me. What major examples can you give of big talents signing for and elevating non champions or less fancied clubs in the 80s? At the top of my head I guess Maradona could be an obvious choice because of his Napoli move (and Barcelona weren't champions when he signed for them). Platini joined Juventus as champions and Gullit and Marco Van Basten joined Milan as champs. Lineker joined Barcelona as champions as well. Just a few examples

gerdm07

Since 2009/10:

CL Top Scorer: 6 to 4 (Ronaldo)
Copa del Rey titles: 5 to 2 (Messi)
Spanish Super Cup titles: 5 to 2 (Messi)
El Classico wins: 14 to 10 (Messi)
El Classico goals: 20 to 17 (Messi)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Im not convinced it was really like this culturally across the top leagues and it comes off a bit as a blanket statement but maybe you can educate me. What major examples can you give of big talents signing for and elevating non champions or less fancied clubs in the 80s? At the top of my head I guess Maradona could be an obvious choice because of his Napoli move (and Barcelona weren't champions when he signed for them). Platini joined Juventus as champions and Gullit and Marco Van Basten joined Milan as champs. Lineker joined Barcelona as champions as well. Just a few examples
I should take that back and re-phrase because of the foreigner limit for instance 3 per club in Serie A.
It could be the case the culture simply followed the rules (rather than the other way around as my first post implied). I should say the rules also reinforced the greater parity in league

But just for example of parity in Serie A 1980s:
Falcão and Cerezo at Roma
Zico at Udinese
Socrates and Passarella at Fiorentina
Cerezo then at Sampdoria
Elkjaer and Breigel at Verona
Passarella and Kalle at Inter
Maradona and Careca at Napoli

jimorrison

Then Gotze is also the GOAT.
nope lol. he wasn't 17 when he scored in the final vs argentina in brazil 2014 world cup.
I don't think Gotze will win the world cup 2 more times.
unlike Pele who won the world cup 3 times.

the world cup is seen as the deciding factor in G.O.A.T. because it is played every 4 years unlike at club level where every year a player plays for the league championship, league cup, uefa cup or champions league.

obviously it's much easier to win those championships every season unlike the world cup which is every 4 years.

Trizy

NOPE

Pele is the G.O.A.T.

International football is a very poor argument when voting for who is the greatest. There has been brilliant players with shit teams that never stand a chance of winning it (Ronaldo and Messi come to mind).

European football is the pinnacle of world football. We have all the best players and clubs. And Europe is a stage Ronaldo has dominated throughout his whole career. It's safe to say Ronaldo is the GOAT.

Renegade

Messi has let himself down big time this summer and we shouldn’t use his awful teammates as an excuses.

But I still believe his the better player, 2 weeks ain’t going to change my mind. Ronaldo is incredible. His mentality and drive is far superior to Lionel’s. Let’s not forget that Ronaldo was trash for 6months of the season.

This argument will never have a conclusion.

jimorrison

International football is a very poor argument when voting for who is the greatest. There has been brilliant players with shit teams that never stand a chance of winning it (Ronaldo and Messi come to mind).

European football is the pinnacle of world football. We have all the best players and clubs. And Europe is a stage Ronaldo has dominated throughout his whole career. It's safe to say Ronaldo is the GOAT.
no its not a poor argument even if they had shit teams.like I said before the world cup is held every 4 years.
that is why it is the most important factor in determining GOAT. unless you win a World Cup you can not and never will be regarded as the GOAT.

Pele is the GOAT. Pele won 3 world cups, was not allowed to play in Europe because he was regarded as a national treasure in Brazil plus the racism that existed in Europe at those times.

Maradona in 86?

I don't buy this narrative that Portugal and Argentina are practically Sunday League teams without those two. This is not George Best and Northern Ireland here.

Anyway, great players may not stand a chance in a weak team. The greatest players however will drag inferior teams to greatness, or set themselves up as the pinnacle of a great team to reign supreme. A few players including Messi have managed to do either of those things. Ronaldo to his credit has managed to do both.

99withaflake

Are we basing the GOAT thing on how good a player was at their absolute peak, or how good they have been throughout the duration of their career?

For me, I'd rather have Messi at his peak than Ronaldo at his peak. He was on another level to anything I've ever witnessed. Obviously he is passed his peak now.

On the other hand, I'd probably rather rely on Ronaldo over a longer period of time though, to score more goals and bring home trophies.

Anyway, this debate will carry on forever, it will never end, because football is (thankfully) about opinions as well as stats.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maradona in 86?

I don't buy this narrative that Portugal and Argentina are practically Sunday League teams without those two. This is not George Best and Northern Ireland here.

Anyway, great players may not stand a chance in a weak team. The greatest players however will drag inferior teams to greatness, or set themselves up as the pinnacle of a great team to reign supreme. A few players including Messi have managed to do either of those things. Ronaldo to his credit has managed to do both.
But you can't reliably do it, you need to be in a special kind of form to drag a bad team to greatness. There is a lot of revisionism regarding Euro 2016, Portugal were far from great but still played like a team, they were resilient and Nani was their best player. Argentina are a tire fire, they were generally bad in 2014 and Messi was the main reason they reached the final, even though he wasn't great himself.