Ronaldo, The Phenomenon: The Rise, Fall and Redemption of Ronaldo

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

BBC4 Tuesday 15th November, 9:30pm.

looking forward to this, where would you put him terms of worlds best, for me would’ve been best ever if didn’t get injured, saying that still wasn’t too bad without knees.
For me the best player Ive watched playing. Without injuries he’d be regarded as the best ever.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Played for Barcelona, inter Milan, Real Madrid and AC.Milan ,Trying to think of anybody who has done the same?

Skills

Snitch
He must be the only player ever who actually made correct use of a step over.

The rest of them are just pointlessly flapping their legs around the ball

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Played for Barcelona, inter Milan, Real Madrid and AC.Milan ,Trying to think of anybody who has done the same?
Not only that, but he's universally liked by supporters and fans from all those clubs, there's no hate for him.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You'd take fat Ronaldo over Ruud or Henry in 2002?
He wasn’t fat in 2002-03 as he’d put in the hard work for the 2002 WC and stayed much the same for that year at Madrid. He only became noticeably bigger the year after, even then he won the Pichichi.

youngrell

Can't wait to watch this later. Wish it was on a little earlier but hey ho.

He really was a joy to watch, I remember how excited I was getting off the school bus to go and watch Brazil vs Scotland in 98, and it was mainly because of him.

Jaae

Not ITK
Ultimate luxury player. 1 League title and 0 CL in 14 years in European football. Complete mercenary too.

Can we talk about the fact that he was having an absolute nightmare in the 2002 World Cup final before Kahn gifted him a tap-in? Seriously, youtube the highlights. Missed 3 brilliant chances with the score at 0-0. This after bottling the 98 World Cup final.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ultimate luxury player. 1 League title and 0 CL in 14 years in European football. Complete mercenary too.

Can we talk about the fact that he was having an absolute nightmare in the 2002 World Cup final before Kahn gifted him a tap-in? Seriously, youtube the highlights. Missed 3 brilliant chances with the score at 0-0. This after bottling the 98 World Cup final.
Rubbish post. He missed chances in the final, but what does it matter after you score 2 and score 8 in the tournament?

But but but..he missed chances too! That's how stupid that sounds :lol:

diarm

I remember watching him doing that elastico - instep/outstep trick on Football Italia early one Sunday morning, then going out into the garden and practicing until it got dark, so I could have it mastered for school the next day.

diarm

How to destroy your own credibility in 50 words.

Jaae

Not ITK
Rubbish post. He missed chances in the final, but what does it matter after you score 2 and score 8 in the tournament?

But but but..he missed chances too! That's how stupid that sounds :lol:
Oh dear. Dreadful post.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably my third favourite player ever, behind Robson and Maradona.

As for how objectively good he was: I have said before that if he had fulfilled every inch of his potential (which he clearly didn't), he might have been the undisputed GOAT.

However, that statement was made whilst drunk (most of my statements are, including this one).

I dunno, probably, maybe not. He did lack certain aspects to his game. But - let's put it like this: if he had fulfilled every inch of his potential, nobody outside CR7's weirdo fan club would have dreamed of comparing those two. The real/fat Ronaldo was superior to CR7 in everything but aerial ability.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Can't wait to watch this later. Wish it was on a little earlier but hey ho.

He really was a joy to watch, I remember how excited I was getting off the school bus to go and watch Brazil vs Scotland in 98, and it was mainly because of him.
I think it’s on the bbc iplayer just now.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral

Maradona also never won the CL and only won 2 league titles in 13 years of europe and is regarded as best ever.

Btw Ronaldo won 2 league titles in Europe, not 1.

Last edited:

Jaae

Not ITK
Maradona also never won the CL and only won 2 league titles in 13 years of europe and is regarded as best ever.

Btw Ronaldo won 2 league titles in Europe, not 1.
Maradona spent the majority of his time in Europe at perennial underdogs Napoli (who have never won the League before or since Maradona), and still won more League titles than Ronaldo who spent his whole European career playing for the biggest clubs in each country. So you've further proved my point regards Ronaldo's status as a luxury player.

06/07 Ronaldo was transferred to Milan midway through the season, playing 7 games before leaving, as Madrid came from behind to win the title without him. The fact that you need to stoop to such astonishing levels of disingenuity to hype this up as a League victory for him is quite incredible.

Lay

Maradona spent the majority of his time in Europe at perennial underdogs Napoli (who have never won the League before or since Maradona), and still won more League titles than Ronaldo who spent his whole European career playing for the biggest clubs in each country. So you've further proved my point regards Ronaldo's status as a luxury player.

06/07 Ronaldo was transferred to Milan midway through the season, playing 7 games before leaving, as Madrid came from behind to win the title without him. The fact that you need to stoop to such astonishing levels of disingenuity to hype this up as a League victory for him is quite incredible.
But this is a nonsense take (referencing your 0 UCL post). He didn't play UCL football with PSV or Barcelona, however he won the European competition Barcelona were in. At Inter, where he was injury ravaged, they played 3 years in Europe, two of them were in the UEFA Cup, which he won - Of course at that time the top 4 didn't qualify for the UCL, 3-6 would enter the UEFA Cup (after 1998 it changed, to qualifiers for 3/4th). So his best chance came at Real Madrid, where his best opportunity was 2002/2003 where they lost to Juventus - Figo missing a vital penalty in that semi final. This was before the infamous god awful Zidane y Pavon policy at Madrid with shit coach after shit coach being hire.

So he played 6 of those 14 years in European football in the UCL. 1 was Inter where United knocked them out and went on to win, the others were with the failed galactico project at Real Madrid.

Last edited:

Kulspruta

There are videos on youtube of Zidane, Seedorf, Maldini, Guardiola, Mourinho, Capello, Nistelrooy, Guti, Villa, Henry all saying Ronaldo is the best player they’ve seen playing live. Whoever trained with Ronaldo say he’s the best they’ve ever seen.

FCAES_7

Never saw a striker as good as him, scoring goals, assisting, and beating keepers and defenders easily. people talk about not winning the CL its a team sport, and was much harder to win in the 90's than now. His time at inter was cut down with injuries. The season he was fully fit they won the UEFA Cup if I'm not mistaken, while the league in Italy in the 90's was nearly always rigged I can still remember the game vs Juventus were the refs gifted them the title. Anyways he was fun to watch, in my opinion that era of football will always be considered the best, as the competition was stronger, lot more world class players and tactics didn't ruin individual brilliance as now

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Insulting another member

The only astonishing thing here is you calling Ronaldo a luxury player. What a complete moron :lol:

Jaae

Not ITK
But this is a nonsense take (referencing your 0 UCL post). He didn't play UCL football with PSV or Barcelona, however he won the European competition Barcelona were in. At Inter, where he was injury ravaged, they played 3 years in Europe, two of them were in the UEFA Cup, which he won - Of course at that time the top 4 didn't qualify for the UCL, 3-6 would enter the UEFA Cup (after 1998 it changed, to qualifiers for 3/4th). So his best chance came at Real Madrid, where his best opportunity was 2002/2003 where they lost to Juventus - Figo missing a vital penalty in that semi final. This was before the infamous god awful Zidane y Pavon policy at Madrid with shit coach after shit coach being hire.

So he played 6 of those 14 years in European football in the UCL. 1 was Inter where United knocked them out and went on to win, the others were with the failed galactico project at Real Madrid.
Madrid won the CL in 1998, 2000, 2002. They were regular winners before Ronaldo joined them in the summer of 2002. Then 4 years with Ronaldo as a regular starter they didn’t even reach a final. Luxury player.

I see you’ve completely side-stepped his 1 League title in Europe.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The reason why I always call CR7 Cristiano and not by his last name, there's only one Ronaldo, and he's Brazilian. Absolute legend and when I was growing up, he was the footballer everybody wanted to be.

youngrell

To be fair, I imagine it was quite a luxury to have someone who could dribble past the whole opposition and put the ball in the net on his own.

Lay

Madrid won the CL in 1998, 2000, 2002. They were regular winners before Ronaldo joined them in the summer of 2002. Then 4 years with Ronaldo as a regular starter they didn’t even reach a final. Luxury player.

I see you’ve completely side-stepped his 1 League title in Europe.
Again, poor take. You said lazily that he has 0 UCL titles in 14 years, but failed to mention how many UCL seasons he actually played, it was a flawed comment which you haven't argued well. Want to explain when he could have won the UCL with PSV and Barcelona?

Yes Madrid won UCL titles, I mentioned that 2003 was his best chance, the 3-1 defeat in Turin was poor but all could have changed if Figo didn't have his penalty saved. You fail to take note of the 'Zidane y Pavon' policy which was a proven catastrophe. Lets also not forget during that time, outside of Del Bosque, they were managed by Carlos Queiroz, Garcia Remon, Luxembergo and Caro. Household names right?

1 league title, again you just have to refer back to the failed Madrid project. When it comes to Barcelona, he scored in 10 games in a row before he missed the last 3 games due to being on international duty (Copa America), one of which was a loss to Hercules, maybe if times were different he wouldn't have gone. Robson said himself: “If we’d had Ronaldo, we'd have won – and won the league,”

So PSV - first season in European football scores 30 goals, unfortunately they finish 3rd behind Roda JC which you can take as a blemish, second season he was injured and played only 13 league games - scored 12 though.

Regarding Inter, firstly they were overstacked in attack, at one point they signed Robbie Keane when they already have 4-5 world class strikers, secondly Inter had won 1 title since 1980. They weren't title favourites. Like I said, your take was rubbish and lazy. I mean you criticise a player for missing chances in a final he scored the only 2 goals in for fecks sake :lol:

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I can't remember which manager said it (Robson maybe) but he said; "Ronaldo is attack" when answering on question who would be best partner for Ronaldo in attack.

Lay

I can't remember which manager said it (Robson maybe) but he said; "Ronaldo is attack" when answering on question who would be best partner for Ronaldo in attack.
Attack is a luxury.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

:lol: :lol::lol:. He scored 8 goals that world cup. None from 11m. He scored in 6 games of 7.
Luxury player? Nightmare in finals?

You are a wum.

Jaae

Not ITK
Again, poor take. You said lazily that he has 0 UCL titles in 14 years, but failed to mention how many UCL seasons he actually played, it was a flawed comment which you haven't argued well. Want to explain when he could have won the UCL with PSV and Barcelona?

Yes Madrid won UCL titles, I mentioned that 2003 was his best chance, the 3-1 defeat in Turin was poor but all could have changed if Figo didn't have his penalty saved. You fail to take note of the 'Zidane y Pavon' policy which was a proven catastrophe. Lets also not forget during that time, outside of Del Bosque, they were managed by Carlos Queiroz, Garcia Remon, Luxembergo and Caro. Household names right?

1 league title, again you just have to refer back to the failed Madrid project. When it comes to Barcelona, he scored in 10 games in a row before he missed the last 3 games due to being on international duty (Copa America), one of which was a loss to Hercules, maybe if times were different he wouldn't have gone. Robson said himself: “If we’d had Ronaldo, we'd have won – and won the league,”

So PSV - first season in European football scores 30 goals, unfortunately they finish 3rd behind Roda JC which you can take as a blemish, second season he was injured and played only 13 league games - scored 12 though.

Regarding Inter, firstly they were overstacked in attack, at one point they signed Robbie Keane when they already have 4-5 world class strikers, secondly Inter had won 1 title since 1980. They weren't title favourites. Like I said, your take was rubbish and lazy. I mean you criticise a player for missing chances in a final he scored the only 2 goals in for fecks sake :lol:
I never mentioned Ronaldo being present in every CL campaign during his time in Europe, so I don’t know why you are zoning in on this particular point. If 0 CL titles in 6 years helps you sleep tonight then so be it.

14 years in Europe and 1 major honour* to show for it. This uncomfortable fact isn’t going anywhere.

*2003 La Liga which ironically came during the “proven catastrophe” of the Zidane y Pavon era.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

That is maybe biggest shit which i read here ever :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Even Paul Pogba can turn it on for a 7 game summer tournament.
Ronaldo - 14 years. 1 major honour.
Players who played in his era think that he is the best ever. But what the hell they know? They just played with/against him