Ronaldo vs Sprinter

Charlie Foley

This video popped up on Facebook. Footage from 2011 of Cristiano Ronaldo racing against a professional sprinter, first in a straight sprint and then in a “zig zag” run. The biomechanics are really interesting.

Really interesting to compare their two styles and forms of running. Ronaldo’s form in a straight sprint is quite inefficient, though obviously he’s still a very fast person. How he changes direction in the zig zags is fascinating though.

Tarrou

back in the old days people just use to have a race to find out who was quickest

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
fascinating stuff, he uses his legs to push the ground and run

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
You should watch that whole documentary. Was great. I remember one where they were fizzing crosses into the box and the lights would go out, Ronaldos instinct meant he would still make a connection and score. They also measured his standing and running jump

I remember that. It was remarkable how far a very fast footballer was from a bottom of the rung sprinter.

SirAF

Ageist
Yeah, I watched that documentary when it came out. Good stuff.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I remember that. It was remarkable how far a very fast footballer was from a bottom of the rung sprinter.
True. It's why the whole athletics community roll their eyes in disdain every time a journalist quotes how fast footballer x is compared to Usain Bolt based on some bad maths.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You should watch that whole documentary. Was great. I remember one where they were fizzing crosses into the box and the lights would go out, Ronaldos instinct meant he would still make a connection and score. They also measured his standing and running jump
Aye, that was impressive. And if you're gambling around the blind side of a full-back, you're likely to lose sight of the ball and might not see it again until it hits your foot/head or it hits the net.

Web of Bissaka

The best part!

Second best is the measure of agility vs acceleration in straight line and zigzag poles.

True. It's why the whole athletics community roll their eyes in disdain every time a journalist quotes how fast footballer x is compared to Usain Bolt based on some bad maths.
Yeah, when that guy ran in Beijing and London he was nearly a full second slower than Bolt.