Ronaldo's second yellow.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
For a player with his aerial prowess it really doesn't make any sense to say that he deliberately tried to score with his hands. The officials were playing to the crowd and media. Also that foul against Rafael down the Citeh's flank towards the end, what the duce?

Vinay

Muppet in Training
The point is that if Ronaldo's handball warranted a booking, it must have been because it prevented City from launching an attack, and if pushing the ball out for a goal kick instead of taking a free header from five yards out constitutes sabotage, then so does ANY foul.
Well said, son! ;) (a la Andy Gray) :D :lol:

But, jokes apart, the booking for the handball is literally baffling. I wish Webb would study the incident better and come up with an apology. Because Ronaldo had absolutely nothing to gain by handling and that's the whole point!

Vinay

Muppet in Training
For a player with his aerial prowess it really doesn't make any sense to say that he deliberately tried to score with his hands. The officials were playing to the crowd and media. Also that foul against Rafael down the Citeh's flank towards the end, what the duce?
Spot on on both counts! I thought it was a foul given to Rafael when linesman started waving and then when I saw him wave in the direction of a City free kick, I was just aghast...

Vinay

Muppet in Training
jesus christ calm down ... if all of what you rant here is 'true' then it's because of the clapping ... you make your own luck.
Sure, Cristiano didn't do himself any favours whatsoever by clapping and I personally that's the only reason that pushed Mr. Webb to permit himself to wrongly interpret the letter of the law in the hand-ball incident.

But, nevertheless, the second booking still stays as a truly farcical one!

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
though it seems out of topic and i will get hammered for saying so.

i think ronnie is not committed and focused for playing for us and he regards himself is bigger than the club. if he wants to go, let him go.
his reaction just wants to prove he is innocent. if he does care about the club, he should stop doing silly things
Quite frankly thats just bollocks

Vinay

Muppet in Training
I'l also add that despite always being one who defends his 'attitude' and the Ronaldo hatred on this forum, his attitude has been disappointing this season. From a neutral perspective, he must be someone so easy to hate. He needs to go back to enjoying the game first.
Agreed, Amol...

Although, I thought I could see in some of the goal celebrations, be it his or otherwise that he was a little more 'involved' than last year, it is indeed clear that there is a little problem about the attitude, as you say. I wish he can start feeling one with the group, because, yes, it feels like he sometimes he comes across as a little distant...

Vinay

Muppet in Training
Exactly. Webb's thought process would have been:

Was it a handball? Yes.

Was it deliberate? Clearly yes.

Was in unsporting behaviour? Well he could have headed for goal. Why didn't he?

If he had missed the ball would Citeh have had an advantage? Well most likely Rooney or Rio would have had an attempt on goal, or a Citeh defender would have headed the ball out for a corner. Hmmmm, it doesn't look like unsporting behaviour.

I should blow for a foul and have a word with the lad. Ah feck it, he made me look like a prick earlier.
That's indeed very well sought out from his brains - that sounds the very likely thought process that must have gone on in Webb's mind...

Pscholes18

Agreed, Amol...

Although, I thought I could see in some of the goal celebrations, be it his or otherwise that he was a little more 'involved' than last year, it is indeed clear that there is a little problem about the attitude, as you say. I wish he can start feeling one with the group, because, yes, it feels like he sometimes he comes across as a little distant...
Every day that passes, his ego gets bigger and bigger. You can tell just from the comments he has been making. Granted he has had two great seasons that has helped us win the Prem a couple years running now. I do think somewhere in that brain he thinks he is bigger than the club. He doesnt give a shit when other players score yet when he scores he goes crazy. When a oppsoing player slides in on him he oes down and moans about it every single fecking time. When things arent going right he blatantly dives. I think Scholeys and Giggys need to sit him down and have a heart to heart.

His actions on todays second yellow were inexcusable. You should never ever touch the ball with your hands during the time of play unless yer the keeper. It doesnt matter if you hear the whistle or not. Finish the play off as if you never heard the whistle at all. Hes a professional and should act as such. His first yellow was bollocks. Webb was pure shit in this match. Ronnie had a right to be pissed off but could of done without the clapping.

lysglimt

Scout
This stuff with deliberate handball is just crap - the fact is that a deliberate handball does NOT automatically warrant a yellow card. In order for a deliberate handball to warrant a booking, the handball must be made in order to gain an advantage.

Imagine the following a player with a yellow card, notices that an opponent has fallen to the ground apparently seriously injured. He gets the ball - picks it up to stop the play.

If a deliberate handball automatically warrants a handball - he should be sent off for helping an opponent - does anyone believe a referee would send off that player ? Course not!

Justin

When someone is about to break down the field with the ball it is.
No it isn't. Far worse tackles from behind and players getting clipped on much cleaner breaks go unpunished every other game. It was a harsh yellow by any Premiership game's standard.

Denis' cuff

Every day that passes, his ego gets bigger and bigger. You can tell just from the comments he has been making. Granted he has had two great seasons that has helped us win the Prem a couple years running now. I do think somewhere in that brain he thinks he is bigger than the club. He doesnt give a shit when other players score yet when he scores he goes crazy. When a oppsoing player slides in on him he oes down and moans about it every single fecking time. When things arent going right he blatantly dives. I think Scholeys and Giggys need to sit him down and have a heart to heart.

His actions on todays second yellow were inexcusable. You should never ever touch the ball with your hands during the time of play unless yer the keeper. It doesnt matter if you hear the whistle or not. Finish the play off as if you never heard the whistle at all. Hes a professional and should act as such. His first yellow was bollocks. Webb was pure shit in this match. Ronnie had a right to be pissed off but could of done without the clapping.
agree with a fair bit of that. He sometimes doesn't help himself due to his belief that the solar system revolves around himself. But if he thought he heard a whistle, he did right to stop. he'd've been booked if he hadn't stopped. Talk about can't win. He had a pretty rough deal of it in my opinion. I think you're getting mixed up in the "play to the whistle" adage, which is entirely different.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Am i the only one who could actually here a whistle noise when that corner was being taken?

Jamie Redknapp fecked me off, when the corner's taken a horn goes off, but as the horn stops you can hear a short high pitched noise that sounds like a whistle. But Sky wouldn't let you listen to it properly as Jamie was yelling over the top of the footage.

And my view is, Ronaldo is not saying he got a push, he's saying the guy on the floor did. He points to the guy on the floor, makes a push gesture and says he heard a whistle. I think he's saying he heard a whistle for a foul on the guy who's on the floor. This is my take on the opinion, and for gods sake someone else please say they could hear that whistle noise!

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
It was just bizarre. I think he may or may not have got the ball for the first, it was a slighly wreckless tackle and you could see a booking happening for it. His clapping would have got him sent off in europe, needless petulance but that has become part and parcel of the Ronaldo package.

The 2nd yellow was truely bizarre. You can interpret it any way you like but it was just a moment of crazyness. I personally don't think he should have been sent off because it was so stupid and didn't gain an advantage at all.

A small consolation is that it happend in the oppositions box and not Uniteds!

Adebesi

I couldnt hear a whistle but I find the argument that he heard one believable on the basis that he had no possible motive to handle the ball otherwise - it was a nice height to head it, he looked like he was going to win it... if he didnt think he heard a whistle then why didnt he go through with the header?

Its a freak thing. At least his banning wont hurt us, with the Milk Cup on Wednesday. Might as well just move on.

Amir

He doesnt give a shit when other players score yet when he scores he goes crazy.
What do people want? When he scored and didn't look happy, people moaned. Now he scores and DOES look happy, and people moan. I'm not saying Ronaldo is perfect, far from it, and he does seem to have certain issues at the moment, but it's the people who look at everything he does with a magnifying glass who have the real problem.

He's not at his best, which is to be expected after two seasons in a row in which he made fantastic improvement. But he still playing well, he's still contributing, he linked really well with Evra yesterday. Just give it a rest. We know what Fergie thinks about players who reckon they're bigger than the club and he is the one who sees him every day, not for 90 minutes once or twice a week.

Regarding yesterday, I'm normally all for following the letter of the law, because there's nothing more annoying in football than inconsistent refereeing - and allowing them to go along with logic rather than the law is just asking for inconsistency. However, cases like Ronaldo's second yellow really are a problem. A stupid technicality.

Mind you, the real annoying thing was Ronaldo's first yellow card. He shouldn't have been given it. It wasn't dangerous or malicious, and as for stopping a City counter - Dunne nudged Park in the first half to make sure he falls when our lad was sprinting past him, and wasn't booked.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Am i the only one who could actually here a whistle noise when that corner was being taken?

Jamie Redknapp fecked me off, when the corner's taken a horn goes off, but as the horn stops you can hear a short high pitched noise that sounds like a whistle. But Sky wouldn't let you listen to it properly as Jamie was yelling over the top of the footage.

And my view is, Ronaldo is not saying he got a push, he's saying the guy on the floor did. He points to the guy on the floor, makes a push gesture and says he heard a whistle. I think he's saying he heard a whistle for a foul on the guy who's on the floor. This is my take on the opinion, and for gods sake someone else please say they could hear that whistle noise!
Nope, you could clearly here a whistle, at the same time as the air-horn going off. I'm amazed so few people have pointed this out.

I even watched Last Word, where Gray and Keys replayed it 3 or 4 times and denied that there was any whistle. Must be age-related loss of high frequency hearing. Gimps.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
There is so much bollocks being spouted on here regarding Ronaldo's perceived attitude.

We have to remember that we only see the 90 mins of playing time - we do not see the hours of training.

I have seen plenty of pics from the training sessions, and he always looks like he's having fun there and getting on with everyone. When you read interviews with other players, they more times than not comment on the incredible atmosphere at United.

Personally I do not read much into actions on the pitch, seeing as this is a fraction of the time that the players are together.

Adebesi

There is so much bollocks being spouted on here regarding Ronaldo's perceived attitude.

We have to remember that we only see the 90 mins of playing time - we do not see the hours of training.

I have seen plenty of pics from the training sessions, and he always looks like he's having fun there and getting on with everyone. When you read interviews with other players, they more times than not comment on the incredible atmosphere at United.

Personally I do not read much into actions on the pitch, seeing as this is a fraction of the time that the players are together.
I dont necessarily disagree with you but you shouldnt read too much into what players say to journalists either. Not unless you happen to have William Gallas in your team. Which, thank feck, we do not.

pillory

If a deliberate handball automatically warrants a handball - he should be sent off for helping an opponent - does anyone believe a referee would send off that player ? Course not!
Some posters here would say he should have been given his second yellow for sabotage, because if he had passed the ball instead, he might have given it straight to an opponent who could then have launched a promising attack.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Wasn't a yellow in my book. Why would it be? Completely different if it was in OUR penalty area. But considering he would have been able to head the ball at goal then why is that deemed denying the opposition an advantage? Answer: It wasn't denying the opposition and advantage, if anything Roonie was giving them the upper hand of a potential breakaway.

Really would be handy if the refs spent the time to read and understand the rules of the game. As for the whistle in the crowd. Its hard to hear, but Sky Sports deffiantly heard it and could hear it from the replay. Just the referee acting like a cock because Ronnie had showed him up earlier with the applauding.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
Am i the only one who could actually here a whistle noise when that corner was being taken? when the corner's taken a horn goes off, but as the horn stops you can hear a short high pitched noise that sounds like a whistle.
Nope, you could clearly here a whistle, at the same time as the air-horn going off. I'm amazed so few people have pointed this out.
I've just downloaded fred54s highlights and you can clearly hear a whistle at the same time as the air-horn going off.

acnumber9

besides, wasn't his defence that he heard a beep? he wasn't even claiming to have heard a whistle! since when do the referees beep?
Do you think you might be taking a non English speaking persons use of English a little too literally to prove a point there?

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.

I even watched Last Word, where Gray and Keys replayed it 3 or 4 times and denied that there was any whistle. Must be age-related loss of high frequency hearing. Gimps.
Absolutely. Some people should never be expected to use their ears in a professional capacity.

fatboy

First yellow - Webb might have got it right or wrong, but perfectly understandable because it was a matter of whether Ronnie got the ball or not. Webb deemed that he didn't and duly gave a yellow card.

Second yellow - Webb got it wrong. It doesn't matter whether there was a whistle or not. The fact is, situationally, there was no advantage as Ronaldo was an attacking player who was in a position to take a shot at goal, with no chance of any City player getting to the ball before him. Anyone who tries to claim that the most likely outcome of Ronaldo not using his hands to make contact with the ball, is that City will launch an counter-attack immediately and score, is not applying common sense. Webb had no right to give the second yellow on that incident.

What probably happened (and most of us know it deep down), is that Webb might have felt that he should have sent Ronnie off earlier for the applauding incident. But he bottled it there and then, and was forced to use a much more dubious incident to issue the second yellow.

If Webb had sent Ronnie off for the applause (hence 2nd yellow), I think few of us would have argued against it given the circumstances. But by choosing the handball incident to issue the second yellow just shows him up to be petty. He was forced to stretch the intepretation of "unsporting behaviour" to it's extreme just so that he could get back at Ronnie. That is very very poor for someone who is supposed to be an unbiased official.

Funny how footballers are expected to exhibit professionalism at all times, not react to provocation etc, and yet when the ref does it in this case, it's perfectly understandable.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
As was pointed out before the player must gain an advantage, I'm not sure thats the exact criteria, I had thought it was to do with unsporting behaviour, advantage could come from an innocent action, eg blocking a free kick from hitting you in the face.
For unsporting behaviour, well obviously not, no advantage, no deliberate malice or unfair play involved.

Here's by far the best analogy for anyone asking whether it is fair or not, when Di Canio caught the ball as it was crossed across when he realised the opposition keeper (can't rem the team) was down injured, he caught the ball. Do people think he should have been booked? Could you imagine Webb giving him as second yellow for that if he had been in that position?
From the interview he released after I gather Ronaldos version of the events is that he heard a whistle, which seems to have been confirmed by others here, and believed a foul had been given. This seems supported by the way he acted after, given his gesture towards the injured Richards on the ground and his whistle gesture.

So if that is the case basically the difference between Di Canio being a hero and Ronaldo a villain is perception, he really isn't generally liked is he?

anver

Shart stop
Sorry if this has already been posted:

Justice for Ronaldo!

Mon Dec 01 08:52AM

Cristiano Ronaldo will stop at nothing to hog the headlines - even rank stupidity.

Manchester United's victory at neighbours City might have been remembered for the football had Ronaldo not been sent off for his two-fisted batting of a corner.

And Early Doors has photographic evidence, published on the right, that proves the move was in fact premeditated and he had spent the week perfecting it in training.

Just what was he thinking? As ever, we need look no further than United's oracle Sir Alex Ferguson for an explanation: "He was trying to protect himself from the ball hitting his face."

It is a fair point. What is a player supposed to do when he has a ball hurtling towards his head at high speed? Football, as the name suggests, is meant to be played with the feet.

Wayne Rooney should really be more careful when he sends in corners at that sort of height - he'll have someone's eye out.

Ronaldo has survived several brushes with danger, and in some cases the ball has even bounced off his noggin into the goal. But sooner or later somebody is going to get hurt.

Rumour has it that in a dim and distant past known as the 1990s, mysterious creatures named Quinnasaurus and Duncandisorderly roamed the Premier League, specialising in using the upper part of their body to redirect the ball, and that the practice even had its own, quaint, name: the 'header'.

But Early Doors finds such myths hard to believe. After all, why would anyone risk those lucrative endorsement deals with cosmetics companies by putting their pretty face in the line of fire?

It was just a shame that ref Howard Webb did not realise that Ronaldo has got a high-profile award to collect this week. Any blemish to his tanned complexion, sparklingly white teeth or perfectly coiffed hair would be a tragedy - not just for Ronaldo but for the millions of viewers who will be treated to his rare beauty when he lifts the Ballon d'Or.

ripley

so how come there was no penalty kick again? shouldn't it be penalty kick if handball inside the box?

Suresh

Successfully neg-repped Bury Red and all I got was
so how come there was no penalty kick again? shouldn't it be penalty kick if handball inside the box?
Spot on. It's surprising no one else had picked up on this. The clearly ABU referee would most probably give a flimsy excuse like 'It's only a penalty if a player from the opposing team who's not it's goalkeeper handles it in their penalty box". Out-rageous!!