Rooney’s best partnership

Bert_

We played the best football with him and Saha. Great with everyone he played with though.

His best season was after Ronaldo left and he played CF in a 433 for most of the season. He was unstoppable until Demichelis stamped on his foot in the CL quarter final. I reckon we'd have won a PL/CL double that year and Rooney in contention for a Ballon D'or if it wasn't far that.

Mwooyo

Tevez...its always tevez and by far. That combination was a real problem...and they would be flanked by ronaldo, nani or giggs...no surprise that we almost won the treble again in that season. After tevez, I think its saha, van persie, ruud and then welbeck or chicharito.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That's not what happened... Tevez left because he felt undermined (by Berbatov's arrival, as he would be the first in line to be dropped) and undervalued (because the club had yet to make him a permanent contract offer due to the dodginess of his agent). The football was great between the forwards in the first season, and got bottle-necked in the 2nd because Berbatov didn't fit, and then Tevez mentally checked out a bit, which saw his numbers reduce and his performances plummet.

Tevez wanted nothing more than to stay and be a permanent fixture in the 1st xi.
I knew I wasn't misremembering this. We played far more free-flowing attacking football in the 07/08 season than in 08/09. We seemed to rely more on our defence to grind out 1-0 wins in Berbatov's first season.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A few shouts for RVP confuse me. By far his worst partnership in my opinion that gets unfairly rated due to that goal against Aston Villa. I remember there was a game when they’ve made 2 passes to each other — both from the kick off (one at the start of the game and another one after we conceded iirc). Van Persie was just untouchable individually that season, but as a partnership… meh.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not a duo, but Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo 2008 were devastating.

@frostbite ... Just beat me to it!
I agree. That side was one of my favourite teams to watch as a kid as I didn't have sky so most of the full games I saw were CL and the finals which were on BBC and ITV. All three were pure forward magic and the fluidity between them, especially on counter attacks was beautiful.

Varun1

Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez was the best front line ever. I doubt we will see something like this ever again. It's a pity we could not keep them together for 5 years, we'd have won another treble.
Fond memories and such a slick front 3 that was. Probably biased, but I don't remember a front 3 as good as Rooney-Tevez-Ron in the EPL.

Mike Smalling

Man, I'd love to have a Saha in his prime without the injury problems. Such an underrated striker. Great athleticism, finishing with either food, heading, good technique and movement.