g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rooney as the #10, Chicharito as the striker

wiz4231

Rooney really has sunk to the level where he would be well suited for a transfer to back Everton or say Newcastle / West Ham.
Rooney for Stones, sounds like a deal.

Drop Rooney, play.......

Young................Mata..................Depay
Lingard............Januzaj..............Pereira

Hernandez
Fellaini
Wilson
.....and I'm happy

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Not sure why that's funny really... The guy has played in numerous positions for us. He's played out wide in big games to accommodate Ronaldo. He's been played in midfield to address the managers failings in the transfer market in the past. He has worked his nuts off for the team over the years. I'd consider him a selfless player. Hell even Mr United Giggs considered leaving at one point in his career.

Nucks

RT History Department
Not sure why that's funny really... The guy has played in numerous positions for us. He's played out wide in big games to accommodate Ronaldo. He's been played in midfield to address the managers failings in the transfer market in the past. He has worked his nuts off for the team over the years. I'd consider him a selfless player. Hell even Mr United Giggs considered leaving at one point in his career.
Don't be crazy dude. Don't you know Wayne is basically a traitor because he wanted more money?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Your post came across as though as he was a selfless person, rather than his footballing play isn't selfish.. which I'm sure most would agree with, I'd like to see him be more selfish and attempt a dribble or two like he would when he first joined.

Rich_H_1989

Don't be crazy dude. Don't you know Wayne is basically a traitor because he wanted more money?
Point me in the direction of a player who doesn't want more money?! Point me in the direction of a person full stop who doesn't.

So do the Real fans now hate Ramos? Because he said he wanted to leave to get a better contract? 10 years ago I'd have absolutely agreed with you that he's shown no loyalty but football isn't like that now. It's a game played by mercenaries who take any chance to get more money. And as I've said before, I absolutely agree and can see why Rooney thought his best option was to perhaps leave the club at the times he tried to.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
It's a shame, because Hernandez is pretty much the exact type of striker that Rooney loves to play with: Pacey, minimal touches on the ball, stretches teams, runs all over the place...

I'm sure this would still work... if we just surrendered the ball a bit, allowed teams onto us, and created space in behind to play into.

The issue is that these two (like Mata) are both of much less use when they're in a team who suffocate the opposition.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Point me in the direction of a player who doesn't want more money?! Point me in the direction of a person full stop who doesn't.

So do the Real fans now hate Ramos? Because he said he wanted to leave to get a better contract? 10 years ago I'd have absolutely agreed with you that he's shown no loyalty but football isn't like that now. It's a game played by mercenaries who take any chance to get more money. And as I've said before, I absolutely agree and can see why Rooney thought his best option was to perhaps leave the club at the times he tried to.
He has/had some nerve, that Wayne!
He wants/wanted a wage increase to match the club's increasing income. Increased income that he has contributed to. How dare he?

Zen86

Here we go again

Rooney plays #9 > "Rooney needs to be #10"
Rooney plays #10 > "Rooney needs to be midfield"
Rooney plays midfield > "Rooney needs to be #9"

Rinse and repeat.

Rich_H_1989

Why anyone gets upset these days when a football player says he wants more money is beyond me.

We're about to see it with Neymar at Barca so does that mean those fans will turn on him? I very much doubt it. It's all become part and parcel of the way football is these days.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Your not matching my ambitions, sign better players or I'm off, oops you've signed a better player and I'm not happy, I'm off. He plays where he's told otherwise he gets sold to a team that aren't stupid enough to spunk best player in the world type wages on a player who hasn't been worth them for a long time. Nothing to do with being selfless, it's all about the bottom line.

Oddboy

Should have moved him on when SAF left. Yet another thing to thank Moyes for. Giving him the fattest contract in the worst part of his career.

Rich_H_1989

Your not matching my ambitions, sign better players or I'm off, oops you've signed a better player and I'm not happy, I'm off. He plays where he's told otherwise he gets sold to a team that aren't stupid enough to spunk best player in the world type wages on a player who hasn't been worth them for a long time. Nothing to do with being selfless, it's all about the bottom line.
For a start he was absolutely right to question the clubs ambitions. For that I don't blame him. As for the second time around... We don't know for definite that was his reasons. But if it was then OK maybe he should have gotten on with it. On the other have he knew he was fast approaching the age where his performances would drop off and wanted to be playing. Yes the club pay too much in terms of wages for him but he's been a consistent performer for a long time now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So are we saying that despite arguing to the contrary for as many years or months as it was suitable, people are now saying that 'upfront' is not Rooney's best position after all?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For a start he was absolutely right to question the clubs ambitions. For that I don't blame him. As for the second time around... We don't know for definite that was his reasons. But if it was then OK maybe he should have gotten on with it. On the other have he knew he was fast approaching the age where his performances would drop off and wanted to be playing. Yes the club pay too much in terms of wages for him but he's been a consistent performer for a long time now.
He's been consistently shite for a long time now.

rotherham_red

Anyone else think we should be doing this more often? It looked very promising the both times it happened this season, and with Rooney constantly dropping deep anyway that position could suit him.
No, because it was patently proven to be a disaster during Moyes' reign. Rooney has neither the consistent touch nor the awareness of what's around him on the pitch to be even a decent option as a 10. He will kill any attacks we may have at the source, and if we must persist with the albatross that is Wayne Rooney, then it will have to be as the 9, where he can do the least damage to the overall team schematic.

rotherham_red

Here we go again

Rinse and repeat.
Some things just never change. I've long accepted that for as long as the team will be built to the strengths of Rooney, we won't win a single thing. Even when he was at his peak, the two seasons we had the team built around him we didn't win anything. He is just going to weigh us down and with that fat contract he's on, no other club will be idiotic or desperate enough to sign him on the current wages he's on. We're stuck with him for another three years at the very least guys :( #ThankYouMoyes.

Rich_H_1989

and if we must persist with the albatross that is Wayne Rooney, then it will have to be as the 9, where he can do the least damage to the overall team schematic.
The last 3 league games would suggest to me that actually he's doing a fair bit of harm to the overall team schematics... So I'm not sure dropping him back in to the whole is going to make things any worse. At least then our midfield players will have an option over the top to a striker who actually does make runs in behind.

Question234

Here we go again

Rinse and repeat.
I agree with this.

I was one of the people moaning at lvg for not making rooney a no.9, the position is clearly no longer the problem. The player is.

Kaos

Put Giggs in central midfield, bring Park out of retirement and play him on the left, Valencia on the right and we have our 2011 team back

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So are we saying that despite arguing to the contrary for as many years or months as it was suitable, people are now saying that 'upfront' is not Rooney's best position after all?
I think it depends. Personally, I think he's played some of his very best football when played in behind the striker, but the problem is that it's not always been a position he's been overly consistent in. He'll have spells where he plays some sublime stuff (not so much anymore though), followed by ones where he looks considerably worse.

Meanwhile, as an out and out striker, usually when he's playing poorly he's still good for a decent number of goals, since he's always scored a minimum of 10 in every league season.

Oneunited26

I want us playing

Carrick
Mata Herrera Fellaini depay
Rooney

That for me is our best system

clarkydaz

how feckin gracious of him!

:lol:

i'll add as soon as Moyes made him teachers pet he had no problem saying he had to be selfish and think of his best position now. Then a stern manager comes in again and he's Mr. utility

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Id argue for the last few seasons he has been anything but consistent. From one game to the next you have absolutely no idea if we are getting the Rooney that scores an amazing overhead kick or spectacular goal or the one who cant trap a ball or find a teammate 5 yards away.

POF

His best position is the one in which he last had a bad game.

Maybe it's just me but there may be a very slight possibility that when he has a bad game it might be down to him and not that the idiot manager keeps insisting on playing him out of position. Poor selfless Wayne. More sacrifices than the bible.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His best position is the one in which he last had a bad game.

Maybe it's just me but there may be a very slight possibility that when he has a bad game it might be down to him and not that the idiot manager keeps insisting on playing him out of position. Poor selfless Wayne. More sacrifices than the bible.
Indeed. I have found it particularly embarrassing how large sections of the press are now saying he should be moved away from the position they campaigned to get him in. I think the Villa game was the first time I've actually seen a consensus of 'Rooney simply played poorly' in his career. It probably has happened, but I don't recall. Usually it is always someone else's fault.

I remember clearly at the time, when Rooney was still in his early 20s and Ronaldo had just started doing ridiculous things for us. I always thought it was quite evident that pundits were grudgingly taking the plaudits they had been lavishing on Rooney away and placing them on the diving, overrated foreigner they had loved to hate for a few years before. I remember fans on the caf at the time too. It was always 'why do we have to compare them?', but it was always perfectly fine to compare when their consensus was that Rooney was our best player. The press have always been kind to Rooney, but then they have always had their favourites and those they don't like so much.

POF

Indeed. I have found it particularly embarrassing how large sections of the press are now saying he should be moved away from the position they campaigned to get him in. I think the Villa game was the first time I've actually seen a consensus of 'Rooney simply played poorly' in his career. It probably has happened, but I don't recall. Usually it is always someone else's fault.

I remember clearly at the time, when Rooney was still in his early 20s and Ronaldo had just started doing ridiculous things for us. I always thought it was quite evident that pundits were grudgingly taking the plaudits they had been lavishing on Rooney away and placing them on the diving, overrated foreigner they had loved to hate for a few years before. I remember fans on the caf at the time too. It was always 'why do we have to compare them?', but it was always perfectly fine to compare when their consensus was that Rooney was our best player. The press have always been kind to Rooney, but then they have always had their favourites and those they don't like so much.
But but but . . . Ronaldo only looked better because he was given so much freedom while Wayne sacrificed himself for the good of the team. Playing Ronaldo as the lone striker with Rooney wide (in Europe) was all to do with Wayne's selflessness and nothing to do with the fact that the team was far more dangerous having their best attacker in the most advanced position.

clarkydaz

The press have always been kind to Rooney, but then they have always had their favourites and those they don't like so much.
he is the current England captain. The press put Gerrard on a pedestal before the World Cup (in which he proceeded to die on his arse)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
he is the current England captain. The press put Gerrard on a pedestal before the World Cup (in which he proceeded to die on his arse)
They have ALWAYS been kind to Rooney. As for Gerrard, it was embarrassing how they all clearly didn't want to say that he was playing shite last season.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I thought Rooney was quite good when he moved to 10, although the game had kind of died by then and I wasn't paying that much attention so I could be wrong.

Hernandez is well out of form though.

Glanville95

A resounding no, as Hernandez shouldn't even be in contention for a first team spot at the moment. Rooney up top and hopefully we'll see Herrera start more instead of Januzaj.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Definitely won't be happening. Rooney will hopefully be able to keep up his goalscoring form, and if he does, he'll offer us a lot more in a striking role than in behind the striker. Hernandez looks really off-form, and may be limited to sub appearances for the time-being.

Raw

Wish I never made this thread now. Chicharito should stick to being a bench option, or sold if we sign a new striker.

NoPace

Rooney's first touch hasn't been good enough for him to be our 10 in a long time. Looked loose again today the minute he dropped back into midfield.

criticalanalysis

^I bet you with those 3 goals, his bottom level will suddenly increase several levels and he'll be midly decent to good when he's interlinking play now.

Nucks

RT History Department
But but but . . . Ronaldo only looked better because he was given so much freedom while Wayne sacrificed himself for the good of the team. Playing Ronaldo as the lone striker with Rooney wide (in Europe) was all to do with Wayne's selflessness and nothing to do with the fact that the team was far more dangerous having their best attacker in the most advanced position.
Ironically we were a more dangerous side the year after Ronaldo left. Rooney went on to have a fantastic year. Don't read too much into that. It had to do with us being just completely predictable in Ronaldo's final year with everyone on the team standing around waiting for Ronaldo to be Ronaldo. A more varied attack with many heads is sometimes better than a world class talent that becomes the sole avenue of attack.