Rooney is finished

Is Rooney done at the required level?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gica_7

Some of the posts in this thread.

fecking hell.

He's one of many players we have who are under performing. To single him out this much is just mind boggling.
It's not as simple as one player playing badly. He loses the ball way too much. His passes are way off from the aimed target. He always passes behind of our players. That just kills the tempo. Since he always wants to be included in the buildup, we can't build tempo. No team has the luxury to have a player losing ball that much. It's frustrating for other 9 outfield players too. They are trying to build the attack and whenever Rooney has the ball, they know they will be trying to win the ball back in 5 seconds. He is so big of a liability that it decreases the whole level of the team.

Jaxdan

I normally defend him, as I believe he takes beyond his fair share of criticism. He was shite today. No doubt worse I can remember seeing him. That said the whole frigging team was. Rashford had flashes, that was it. Atrocious performance, and that includes the man wearing the suit and tie in the technical area.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

fecking hell.

He's one of many players we have who are under performing. To single him out this much is just mind boggling.
He's been under performing for over a year now. His technical ability's alright when he's in time and space, but as soon as he's forced to play even remotely quickly he's hopeless. He lacks any incision in his role and is unable to link up the midfield and attack like he should be doing.

It's quite clear that he's physically shot. He has been for a while now. He just doesn't look up to it when he's on the pitch. The vast majority of his passes are safe sideways or backwards one and he holds us back as a side. I genuinely struggle to see how anyone could watch him on a consistent basis and think it's fine that he's expected to perform a similar role to someone like KDB at City is.

Raw

fecking hell.

I think most of the concern is the fact that he's getting picked every game and playing 90 minutes despite poor performances, yet other players get dropped after 1 poor performance. It's not just a problem that's started this season, it's been going on for too long and we're just fed up. There are players like De Bruyne who play in his position and it's just depressing comparing their performances.

GwynnieJ

fecking hell.

Under-performing means he is playing below his ability. This is the level he is at now and has been for a couple of years at least. It's not called under performing at this point, it's called simply not being good enough.

He is capable of creating great moments like in the FA cup final, or the assist for Rashford v Hull. But Gibson and Cleverley were capable of great moments as well. I'd be suprised to see anyone defending those two, but their performances were less of a hindrance to Uniteds at the time. Rooney is a footballing stopcock

Jaxdan

I'd like someone in the press to start calling out United's board on the Rooney issue. Someone to start asking questions as to why every manager is playing him to the detriment of the team and by extension, their jobs. Something is not right about this. Time the board got some pressure on this instead of always hiding behind the managers.
That's not the job of 'the press', is it?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

fecking hell.

On his salary he should be the lead man not just one of many players

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We will never win the league with him in the team.

He's absolutely awful. How on earth are we going to shift him on his wages?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Under-performing means he is playing below his ability. This is the level he is at now and has been for a couple of years at least. It's not called under performing at this point, it's called simply not being good enough.

He is capable of creating great moments like in the FA cup final, or the assist for Rashford v Hull. But Gibson and Cleverley were capable of great moments as well.
Pretty much. If people want us to return to being a top club who wins major trophies regularly, it just isn't going to happen whilst Rooney's being utilised in a manner which makes him central to the team.

Rob Bowman

fecking hell.

He gets singled out because he is the captain. He should be the first name on the teamsheet like Cantona or Keane... players who totally earned their place based on skill alone.

You are absolutely correct we have a few other players we can ship with Rooney but he leads the way.

m1y2

my life will be so much better when he finally fecks off, I already saluted him over his best years and even during some tough moments but this is too much, how can he underperform for more than three years and still be an automatic starter with the best salary in the country? Insane how he outgrew the club, and if Mourinho doesnt deal with him we will be dragged back for another long year, it's so fecking obvious that he cant play in the premier league anymore let alone for the biggest club in the world..

ANOTHER WASTED SEASON I GUESS BECAUSE MOURINHO DOESNT HAVE GUTS WHAT GUARDIOLA WOULD HAVE

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I'm desperate for someone to say something. None of us knows Ed Woodward so we can't scream at him :D - can only think the press questioning this might wake him up.

Adebesi

He can't swim, he attracts enemy radar, he attracts sharks, he nudges people when they're trying to shoot, he always insists on sitting at "The Captain's Table"... He mucks about.

Imagine... the fear... when you go out to play with Rooney in the team and think "Oh God, when this game ends, will everyone be dead?"

You can't run a team like that.

United22

If this fat useless scouse twat becomes our record goalscorer then there is no sporting justice in the world.
Just calm down, I know he is stinking up the place but leave the personal attacks out of it (I've been guilty of calling him all sorts in the past too). Once upon a time he really was a good player for us. Be angry at the club for offering him that contract, they are the real culprits in all of this.

Parry Gallister

fecking hell.

He's the captain, he's already singled out. It's not underperforming anymore too, that's the thing, you can forgive players being out of form. This is the level he is at for the majority of each season now, and it is shite to see.

Have a look at some of his highlights from the game and try and defend it, especially when it's now par from him.

Then there is the shoehorning him in, him always passing backwards or right so Zlatan or LW never get any service, his first touch...

Last edited:

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
What he does is pick up space in the most cowardly possible fashion.

Great midfielders pick up space in the most dangerous of areas, they find little pockets and hurt the opposition.

Rooney's idea of picking up space is literally finding empty areas of the pitch so he can get on the ball with no pressure. That position could be left back, right wing, between the centre backs or deep in midfield when everyone else is pushed forward. He melts if he's pressed and gives the ball away so spends the entire game trying to find somewhere get can get the ball with acres of space and time.
Its almost like Pexbo can read Rooney's mind. I would say that that summary is spot on.

I remember RVP complaining that team mates are always moving into his positions. He never dropped any names...

Devil may care

He is capable of creating great moments like in the FA cup final, or the assist for Rashford v Hull. But Gibson and Cleverley were capable of great moments as well. I'd be suprised to see anyone defending those two, but their performances were less of a hindrance to Uniteds at the time. Rooney is a footballing stopcock
100% spot on.

Sparky10Legend

Just calm down, I know he is stinking up the place but leave the personal attacks out of it (I've been guilty of calling him all sorts in the past too). Once upon a time he really was a good player for us. Be angry at the club for offering him that contract, they are the real culprits in all of this.

True enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think that Rooney is finished. However on that salary we deserve a much better player. Its time to get rid of him.

Maybe we can offer him for free. Surely someone would be interested in him.

Ban

Imagine being his teammate. He's stinking the place up but plays every minute. Doesn't play vs Feyenoord just to get a rest for his magnificient showings.

Ricardo de la Vega

At the required level? About 4 years ago...

Is he still a useful guy to have around? Absolutely. But he can't be the guy to build a team around.

Mister_Stubbs

A stint on the bench or evening out of the match day squad altogether won't suddenly make us a better team (though with Mata/Mhkitaryan in their correct positions who knows) over night but it will allow us to start building going forward.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It's incredible that everyone except for the guys that manage him can see this.

Jaxdan

Imagine being his teammate. He's stinking the place up but plays every minute. Doesn't play vs Feyenoord just to get a rest for his magnificient showings.
Maybe. But I haven't heard a single player, current or past, say anything like that.

Neilpie

We will never win the league with him in the team.

He's absolutely awful. How on earth are we going to shift him on his wages?
Isn't this a massive part of the problem with him though?

I mean he's not the only one letting the team down, a few others need to take a long hard look at themselves as well.

And this can't be all about the manager either. We're three along after Fergie and we've still got the same problems, there must be something with the players that just isn't right, where's the passion, I just don't see it.

I'm not saying it's right but if Rooney gets dropped how the hell do we get any money back for him. The guy should have gone three seasons ago but what do we do, give him a new contract!

I know it's not all his fault but I think moving him on would show a big statement of intent from the club regarding putting the last couple of managers behind us.

We're Manchester United for fecks sake, it's never about one player, we're a team.

Ban

Maybe. But I haven't heard a single player, current or past, say anything like that.
Do you expect them to? While playing for United. To say their captain is stinking the place up or that he's finished.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's been under performing for over a year now. His technical ability's alright when he's in time and space, but as soon as he's forced to play even remotely quickly he's hopeless. He lacks any incision in his role and is unable to link up the midfield and attack like he should be doing.

It's quite clear that he's physically shot. He has been for a while now. He just doesn't look up to it when he's on the pitch. The vast majority of his passes are safe sideways or backwards one and he holds us back as a side. I genuinely struggle to see how anyone could watch him on a consistent basis and think it's fine that he's expected to perform a similar role to someone like KDB at City is.
Which is precisely was Jose brought up about him in midfield and said he would play 10 or 9 1/2. Then god help us, he isn't great there, he has Rashford to fit in somewhere, so back into midfield Wayne goes.

Eddy_JukeZ

I just hope after he breaks the record(and perhaps if with how poor he is now), the club will look to move him on.

There is no reason he should be starting. He's the weakest link in the starting 11. Yes I know we were shit vs Southampton too.

He offers nothing to a team anymore.

Kag

Well, technically, it is. The role of the press is to hold the establishment to account. In sporting terms, proper questioning as to why Rooney has a free pass in the United team is a reasonable expectation.

Jazz

Seeing all these reports that he's getting hammered on twitter etc by United fans. Really hope the club sorts this out before all this ill feeling gets out of hand.

dichinero

Seeing all these reports that he's getting hammered on twitter etc by United fans. Really hope the club sorts this out before all this ill feeling gets out of hand.
You just know that the club website will do a video of "Rooney's top 10 goals" to appease his lovers!

GwynnieJ

It's incredible that everyone except for the guys that manage him can see this.
I think mandatory drug testing should be done for the coaching staff as well. They must be on some good stuff to find these performances acceptable.

Jazz

You just know that the club website will do a video of "Rooney's top 10 goals" to appease his lovers!
Hope no one watches it:D State of the club - looks like everyone there in a powerful position has taken their stupid pills:rolleyes:

jem

I would say he's finished but we were still sub-par without him against Feyenoord, so I think the problems run deeper than Rooney.
They do, but I think the reverberations of his playing so much may well have an effect elsewhere. I'm no tactician,
He's the captain, he's already singled out. It's not underperforming anymore too, that's the thing, you can forgive players being out of form. This is the level he is at for the majority of each season now, and it is shite to see.

Have a look at some of his highlights from the game and try and defend it, especially when it's now par from him.

Then there is the shoehorning him in, him always passing backwards or right so Zlatan or LW never get any service, his first touch...
My god, I haven't laughed that hard in a while - the rewinding and slowed down voices just add to the whole gong show on display!:lol:

buckooo1978

fecking hell.

There's not a player in the squad who has been as consistently poor as him and retained his place consistently over the last 2 years at least

clarkydaz

i remember a press conference last year a passage/report about him scoring a chip in training, to LVGs delight and amazement. With video footage of it to boot

Devil81

He's a striker, the crazy notion he could drop back and play deeper was dismissed last season.

Ibra offers far more at 34 than Rooney does up front, so he's basically fecked unless a position is found for him. It's gonna take a big call from Mourinho to feck him off, I think he's got the backing of the fans, now go do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.