Rooney Praises the Glazers

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I assume he's talking about how American owners are hated more than petrol-state owners.

Unrelated, but I was in the UK for 2 weeks recently and it seems the UK generally has a very negative view of Americans.
Fairly obviously, British xenophobes are a lot more likely to favour white Americans over Arabic Muslims.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who cares. Fergie is the only one I really care about in this regard. And he's tied in so he can't really speak.

That being said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if neither bidder ends up acquiring United. Of course, the Glazers can't afford to hold onto the club and it's a total shit show, but we could do with seeing another process open up especially if they will have less leverage down the line (though I gather reports are saying the opposite, given more club income, they nonetheless do not have the finances to keep this club at the top).

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Every decision apparently has to go through them.

Certainly contract stuff as with DDG.

And Rio’s send off was handled by their lead puppet at the time.
I'm not saying they aren't ultimately responsible but seem the hands-off type. I doubt they said pull DDG contract offer.

Ted Lasso

Xenophobic fans? Absolute nonsense. What a clueless post.

He's also had a pop at the fans here, claiming they don't recognise what the Glazers have done for the club. Well, they've done feck all.
Triggered eh

Rooney's right, though. The Glazers have owned Manchester United for something like 20 years. Half of that falls into one of our most successful periods ever as a club. Another half one of major transition and ups and downs.

Anyone that simply says the Glazers have done feck all has no actual knowledge of the history. And their outraged is based on pigeon brained rationale. Posters and fans with genuine gripes against the ownership can actually cite the issues from the handicap accompanying a leveraged buyout, massive dividends and lack of capital investment in stadium, youth team and generally poor business management. but it's certainly not "feck all"

Howl

Every decision apparently has to go through them.

Certainly contract stuff as with DDG.

And Rio’s send off was handled by their lead puppet at the time.
I think that's only in the last few years though (could be talking out of my butt here). The biggest issue (other than the debt and everything associated) for me was they were almost too hands off letting Woodward run the show. He's the one who mugged off Rio, and Evra. He also let the managers sign whoever they wanted and veto the entire scouting team. We can see with Arnold at the helm now things seem less chaotic and and smoother. For instance, we have finally gotten a manager on the up rather than someone who's relying on their past achievements. This summer we've moved faster than we've had since Fergie with two signings before the tour begins, who woulda thought. High profile ones as well.

Withnail

Triggered eh

Rooney's right, though. The Glazers have owned Manchester United for something like 20 years. Half of that falls into one of our most successful periods ever as a club. Another half one of major transition and ups and downs.

Anyone that simply says the Glazers have done feck all has no actual knowledge of the history. And their outraged is based on pigeon brained rationale. Posters and fans with genuine gripes against the ownership can actually cite the issues from the handicap accompanying a leveraged buyout, massive dividends and lack of capital investment in stadium, youth team and generally poor business management. but it's certainly not "feck all"
Yes I'm triggered :rolleyes:. What a ridiculous thing to say. What's next, calling me a snowflake?

Do you have any elaboration on how fans are xenophobic for wanting the Glazers out?

If you believe the success achieved under Fergie was anything to do with the Glazers your ability to analyse anything is deeply suspect. The success was down to his genius and was in spite of the Glazers. Also your attempts to condescend and the pigeon brain comment are hilarious in the context. Why would I need to cite the reasons why the Glazers are bad owners? Is anyone not aware? I'm not going to round telling people the sky is blue and the grass is green ffs.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Maybe ol' wayne is sucking up to the Glazers --- because he thinks the Glazers will stay and ETH will leave in the near future.

Strelok

Anyone that simply says the Glazers have done feck all has no actual knowledge of the history.
I really wish they have done feck all for the club. But instead they made us paid over £1.2bn in loan payback, interests and dividends over their first 15 years here. Or about £80m a year. Ronaldo cost £80m back then. Players like Aguero cost around £30m. Now we have about a billion in debt. We're debt free before them taking over the club. Not to mention about Ed and co. Nice try.

Pes6Monster

Fairly obviously, British xenophobes are a lot more likely to favour white Americans over Arabic Muslims.
Qatar's state bid inspires this level of discourse as its proponents fail to justify their politics. They'll hang on good and tight to allegations of racism and xenophobia therefore.

You see it from city and toon fans, also pro-sportswashing commentators avail of it.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Maybe ol' wayne is sucking up to the Glazers --- because he thinks the Glazers will stay and ETH will leave in the near future.
Perhaps he has his motives, but Rooney clearly has more knowledge about the going on's at the club than the average fan. At least from his time at United.

Glazer's gotta go obviously :D

Ted Lasso

I really wish they have done feck all for the club. But instead they made us paid over £1.2bn in loan payback, interests and dividends over their first 15 years here. Or about £80m a year. Ronaldo cost £80m back then. Players like Aguero cost around £30m. Now we have about a billion in debt. We're debt free before them taking over the club. Not to mention about Ed and co. Nice try.
You misunderstood my point - saying feck all is lazy and uninformed discussion. This kind of breakdown is literally what I was pointing to and what posters should be more educated on.

And quite frankly, if they had been, the uproar around the Glazers might have been greater some 20 years ago instead of a meek green and gold campaign by folks many on here thought of as extremist back then.

It's nice to get worked up at Rooney but in typical fashion, self reflection and being critical of one's own lack of action that kept the Glazers here for so long is missing. I certainly wish I knew more and said more back then. I was also a child but meh kids should know better too.

Strelok

You misunderstood my point - saying feck all is lazy and uninformed discussion. This kind of breakdown is literally what I was pointing to and what posters should be more educated on.

And quite frankly, if they had been, the uproar around the Glazers might have been greater some 20 years ago instead of a meek green and gold campaign by folks many on here thought of as extremist back then.

It's nice to get worked up at Rooney but in typical fashion, self reflection and being critical of one's own lack of action that kept the Glazers here for so long is missing. I certainly wish I knew more and said more back then. I was also a child but meh kids should know better too.
I see. Just read the post again. Cheers then mate.

Ted Lasso

Yes I'm triggered :rolleyes:. What a ridiculous thing to say. What's next, calling me a snowflake?
Just trying to match your energy. I wouldn't have said snowflake, because that's what I am. Perhaps i would likely have called you a rusty nail or a bent-out-of-shape nail, like when you're hammering a nail into the wall but mishit it and it gets all crooked and becomes a pain to manage.

Do you have any elaboration on how fans are xenophobic
It's my observation and personal experience as an American fan of Manchester United since childhood. So not limited to the cafe. But still, more recently I've found the discourse in the takeover thread and the world cup thread to be quite disturbing. As much as I hoped Brexit and the general rise of nationalism was a force outside of the globalizing football, there has been a very vocal support within the former thread around returning to British ownership of the club.

Why would I need to cite the reasons why the Glazers are bad owners? Is anyone not aware?
Yes.

The vast majority of this forum and most online discourse has been naive and /or damningly accepting of the damage being done by the Glazers to the financial stability and football infrastructure for the last two decades. Those against the takeover were deemed over the top, the success United had in the first half of the Glazers ownership has frequently been used as a counterpoint to anyone critical of them up to pretty much Solskjaer's sacking. The likes of Woodward have been sucked off quite frequently on this forum for his "genius " in the takeover and then the corporate sponsorships he has brought in. There also continues to be this messaging that if the father Malcolm Glazer hadn't died it would have been ok because he " actually loved football". Some have gone as far as to blame Sir Alex.

In fact, Ole's sacking was the turning point in my observation because the majority of fans who were satisfied w moaning about Moyes, then LVG, then Jose, all of a sudden - likely due to the past affections - couldn't blame everything on a dislikable manager and had to look upward at the ownership and executive structure of the club.

So long winded notes , but yes I feel strongly that if you don't spell it out it, it's either because of lack of knowledge or laziness or falling into the group that's just saying what's on trend nowadays.

And it's relevant here because it's way too convenient to get mad at Rooney and make a whole thread go on for pages about it. As fans we are strongly at fault and need to own up and get the Glazers out first and foremost instead of btching about former player's opinions that will have no effect.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
So I guess the OP is just going to ignore the bit when he said it's time for them to go?

Lost bear

Footballers just seem to live in their own bubble

He doesn’t even know they came in after he was signed
It's the same with long established rockers like Morrisey and Nick Cave- they become so rich and comfortable, living in their own fishbowl of wealth and sycophancy, they totally lose touch with the world, and the people, that they came from, and that made them.