Rooney's form - improving?

Sylar

Given hes a striker, tbh, Id rather he just score in every game until the end of the season (even if hes shit for the rest of the game) than be playing well / good.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You can look at all the stats you want but I know what I've seen and having played football upfront I know how difficult it is when your feeding off scraps. In the Stoke game, Mata, lingard and martial were right up there in support, against Southampton we we camped 20 yards deeper extending the gap between the striker and midfield. There's no other position ins football where you more reliant on your team than upfront because without quality ball you can do feck all.
In terms of being a tip striker in 2016 he's up there with Aguero as one of the top scorers in 2016 and they have been goals of absolute top quality and at huge moments in games. I'm all for giving Rooney the criticsim he deserves for his atrocious season start, but it's annoying to see people fuel an agenda by not giving Rooney the credit he deserves. Regardless of what people think, Rooney is the key to turning our game around and he has to keep up this top form to give us any chance of top 4!
Its not just stats, I was there in the ground to see how crap he was against Soton - I remember he had a similar position to the one he scored against Derby and hit woefully wide plus he lost the ball far too often when in posession.

Clearly he has been better but I think you are going too far - Aguero, Kane, Vardy and probably a couple of others have been better since the turn of the year.

I do agree that he is vital to our top4 chances though but hes going to have to improve further still for us to make it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Against Stoke, do you remember him barging that defender out of the way and scoring a disallowed goal?
I loved to see that. Power/pace - he was like a hurricane in that game (scoring another goal within minutes of that incident).
He basically forced the ball into the net, by any means necessary and we have been lacking that since LVG took over.

He is definitely playing better than he was at the start of the season. Absolutely no question about it.

AttackingFlair

Not really. He scored first in January after Martial destroyed Swansea's defence and assited that goal.

It's too early to say whether and to what extent Rooney has turned it around. In terms of goals, he has done brilliantly over the last 5 weeks. But most of those goals came against teams from lower leagues (SU, Derby) or teams involved in the relegtion battle (Newcastle, Swansea). He was poor against Soton and Liverpool. All in all, he has put in two excellent performances (Newcastle, Stoke), 2-3 decent ones and 2-3 poor since the start of the calendar year.

I said before the game vs Newcastle that even if he scored three hat-tricks in the next three games, he would still be finsihed as a top player. And I stay by this. By "finished" I mean that he cannot maintain excellent perfomances for longer than 2-3 months and will inevitably slump into mediocrity for prolonged periods.

He looks lively and quality when he is given acres of space. But the real top players can control the ball in tight spaces and create something out of nothing (e.g. Martial). Rooney can't do this and as soon as we face a team like, say, Soton that leveas little space for the forwards, he will look out of his depth.

In order to thrive as a main striker at a top top club you have to be very good in tight spaces with an excellent first touch (unless your team neglects possession and relies on counter attacks), quick and physically very strong. Rooney's close control in tight situations isn't special, he isn't particularly strong or quick either. So, I don't see the tools that would help him to be consistently good for us over at least 2/3 of the season. He might go through some purple patches now and then but we need consistency in order to compete for the big tropheys. I'd be nicely and extremely surprised if he is still capable of such consistency. One month isn't enough, he has to deliver many months in a row.
You do realise that nothing came off for Martial against Southampton as well right?

diarm

He's scored 7 goals with 2 assists in 7 games since the turn of the year. It couldn't be more obvious that his form has improved. Statistically, he's been the best player in the league since Jan 1st.

There were big signs of improvement before he started scoring as well. If we've really turned a corner, and Van Gaal is going to let them play proper football from now on, I can see Wayne having a big end to the season.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Hopefully this is like the 2010/2011 season. Rooney was abysmal in the first half, and then returned to lead the team to the title and CL final.

Title and CL final under SAF = 4th place and EL under LVG

AttackingFlair

He's scored 7 goals with 2 assists in 7 games since the turn of the year. It couldn't be more obvious that his form has improved. Statistically, he's been the best player in the league since Jan 1st.

There were big signs of improvement before he started scoring as well. If we've really turned a corner, and Van Gaal is going to let them play proper football from now on, I can see Wayne having a big end to the season.
Surprisingly he's not even made the 6 man short list for POTM in the PL

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Wayne been very good of late. It's easier when everyone is of the same mindset. I would feel for any striker, playing for us much of last season and this. The quality hasn't been there and because of the negativity going forward, it's hard to keep making runs knowing the ball won't be coming to you. What's pleasing is that, he's getting in efforts on goal. We've finding him higher up the pitch and he should break Charltons record this season. We're good enough to win trophies this season if we get some luck and if we stop worrying.

You could suggest his form coincided with rumors of Chinese interest. He'll certainly be thinking of the future but right now, he's leading from the front.

Treble

You do realise that nothing came off for Martial against Southampton as well right?
Yes, I do. I do realise as well that Martial's close control is far better than Rooney's and he has shown it against Arsenal, City, Liverpool, etc. Is there a single Rooney fan who would deny it?

Hopefully, Rooney is going to be as good till the end of the season as he has been since the start of the year. Maybe the long months of frustration in 2015 will give him enough energy and ambition to play well in 2016. I doubt it but no-one fully knows what is possible and what is not. We are toying with probabilities here.

May 2016 be his best year ever. I think he lacks the tools to maintain an excellent form for more than 2-3 months (i.e., ability in tight spaces, explosiveness, strong physical presence in the box, etc.) but let's hope that he will do it and prove his doubters wrong.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Why is it improving:

- Rooney has finally got bored of being sh**
- Rooney wants to move to China on big money
- Rooney doesn't want Roy to look like a fool when he picks Rooney to play Euros ahead of Vardy and Kane

Make your choice :):)

Jinn

Could be something to do with the birth of his son?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He has been our player of the month in January, but the long term concerns over his consistency remain. We still need to make finding and acquiring his replacement a priority

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why is it improving:

- Rooney has finally got bored of being sh**
- Rooney wants to move to China on big money
- Rooney doesn't want Roy to look like a fool when he picks Rooney to play Euros ahead of Vardy and Kane

Make your choice :):)
Or the more likely reason that the senior players have spoken to van Gaal and he's been open to some change in his tactics making us slightly more open. The increases pace of lingard and martial outside is allowing Rooney more space and the team has started creating more opportunities. Sometimes form isn't just about the individual it's about the team and Rooney has been greatly affected by the teams lack of form.

RedDevil@84

Or the more likely reason that the senior players have spoken to van Gaal and he's been open to some change in his tactics making us slightly more open. The increases pace of lingard and martial outside is allowing Rooney more space and the team has started creating more opportunities. Sometimes form isn't just about the individual it's about the team and Rooney has been greatly affected by the teams lack of form.
Absolutely. I was just trying to consolidate the list from what some on caf assume.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Absolutely. I was just trying to consolidate the list from what some on caf assume.
Yeh of course, and while I'm not sure if Rooneys form will last all season there's no way he's a shite as he shown at the start of this year

Needham

His touch is sharp, his control is top drawer and he clearly thinks he can pull great strokes again. The matchly chip nearly went in this time and it took strength and top quality to carve out the chance. A completely different sportsman from the clot who played away at Villa in August.

NoLogo

Even if he didn't have a great game yesterday he looks so much better now. On an average day he is now at least somewhat of a threat again and not a complete waste of space. Hope he can hold his form for the rest of the season, could be vital in our race for 4th place for us.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He resembles a striker again. So yes, his form is improving. On the other hand, he's also in decline.

montpelier

I'll go with significantly improved (needed to be), looks more competitive & confident, technique & finishing back up to acceptable level.

Not convinced overall, though, that he should be our 1st choice forward. He needs to drop off the front, he isn't a Big Club top top sole striker anymore for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's improved. I still think he needs to be a rotational striker at United, though. He hasn't got the tools anymore to be a top centre forward like Aguero, Suarez or Costa (in a good environment). He's got the ability to finish, but hasn't got the general play, physicality, mobility etc we need from our striker. It would be a mistake to rely on him for next season as our number 9 (role-wise) as we did for this season. We'd again end up with egg on our faces as we did this season.

LeftyBlaster

He's improved. I still think he needs to be a rotational striker at United, though. He hasn't got the tools anymore to be a top centre forward like Aguero, Suarez or Costa (in a good environment). He's got the ability to finish, but hasn't got the general play, physicality, mobility etc we need from our striker. It would be a mistake to rely on him for next season as our number 9 (role-wise) as we did for this season. We'd again end up with egg on our faces as we did this season.
Would be suicidal to make him the main man next season although it will probably happen. He is nowhere close to being a top tier player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hopefully this is like the 2010/2011 season. Rooney was abysmal in the first half, and then returned to lead the team to the title and CL final.

Title and CL final under SAF = 4th place and EL under LVG
:D you almost got me there.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He held up the ball very well vs Chelsea, however, he really was never a threat to score. I don't think he'll ever be a big time striker again because he can't beat defenders and has trouble creating space for a shot. We need a new striker next year.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Definitely better but far from a 'top' player. But he's at least contributing which he wasn't really doing before. Overall, at this level he's a good squad player but shouldn't be automatic first choice...no shame in that, just need to push forward and look to gradually phase him out.
At this standard, everyone barring De Gea and Martial would be Squad players :) Either your standards are too high or you're following the wrong league.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Spot on. I think he's shown recently that he's still got plenty of technique and ability going for him. The Newcastle game was the perfect example. Two goals and an assist, but with a moment where he was taking on an opposition defender and looked hilariously hopeless at the mere prospect of trying to run past another footballer.

I'm fine to keep him around, but unless we really feel that Martial is ready to play as our main, most reliable goalscoring striker, then we probably need another option.

Not to go on too much of a tangent, but it could be one of the benefits to Mourinho coming in. I feel like he'd probably be willing to sacrifice Rooney if we felt it was beneficial for the side, while I'm not sure that the same would happen with someone who already has a history of working alongside him.

It'll be interesting to see how he's used next season, though. The expectation of how he'll perform will be very different, in that we'll be surprised if he's at his highest level, yet still frustrated if he isn't considering any side with high aspirations tends to need a top striker.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Spot on. I think he's shown recently that he's still got plenty of technique and ability going for him. The Newcastle game was the perfect example. Two goals and an assist, but with a moment where he was taking on an opposition defender and looked hilariously hopeless at the mere prospect of trying to run past another footballer.

I'm fine to keep him around, but unless we really feel that Martial is ready to play as our main, most reliable goalscoring striker, then we probably need another option.

Not to go on too much of a tangent, but it could be one of the benefits to Mourinho coming in. I feel like he'd probably be willing to sacrifice Rooney if we felt it was beneficial for the side, while I'm not sure that the same would happen with someone who already has a history of working alongside him.

It'll be interesting to see how he's used next season, though. The expectation of how he'll perform will be very different, in that we'll be surprised if he's at his highest level, yet still frustrated if he isn't considering any side with high aspirations tends to need a top striker.
I agree with the bit about Mourinho. Say what you will about him, and I know I do, but he's someone who is unafraid to make difficult decisions and drop big names if needed. He did it with Terry, he did with Casillas and he did it with Hazard. There won't be much of the "privileges" nonsense we've seen from LVG regarding Rooney.

Nucks

RT History Department
I honestly think Rooney's problem is his off season. I think he lets himself go so far in the offseason that it takes 6 months to play his way back into form. This isn't a one off thing either. This has been the norm for Rooney for years.

If he wants to prolong his years at the club, I think he needs to get on the Giggs program. Year round training, keep himself tip top during the off season because the older he gets, the further his body declines each off season and the harder and longer it is for him to get back to where he should and can be.

Ventura

He has scored goals lately, but it's really too late to start now. Where was he in December? A similar form next season is not going to be acceptable for a club aiming for trophies. If he stays, we definitely need some options up top so it's possible to bench Rooney. If that option is Martial, then we need someone on the left wing (and right), because 1 attacker of an acceptable level is not enough.

Treble

I honestly think Rooney's problem is his off season. I think he lets himself go so far in the offseason that it takes 6 months to play his way back into form. This isn't a one off thing either. This has been the norm for Rooney for years.

If he wants to prolong his years at the club, I think he needs to get on the Giggs program. Year round training, keep himself tip top during the off season because the older he gets, the further his body declines each off season and the harder and longer it is for him to get back to where he should and can be.
Well, last year he was rubbish from March onward , i.e. months before the off season. He hasn't had a great season since 11-12. Surely, the problem goes much deeper than simply the off season.

Winrar

he still looks like he's past his best. but Iam glad to see that more recently he has shown that isn't completely useless like he was in 2015 and still score some nice goals.

maybe I'm being too generous on him though, after giving him loads of stick when he was grossly underperforming.