Roulette Draft - QF: 2mufc0 vs. Indnyc

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

........................................ TEAM 2MUFC0 ........................................................................................ TEAM INDNYC ...........................................

TEAM 2MUFC0

Formation 4-3-3

I have built the team based on the totaalvoetbal philosophy. I would like to make clear i am not trying to replicate a specific team in the past, however i have tried to stay true to the philosophy by picking technically good players who are able to interchange, were hard workers for the most part, and comfortable on the ball...both vertically and horizontally. To add, the starting 11 consists of 7 Dutch players who have vast amount of experience in the principles of the team.

With regards to reinforcements i have stayed true to the theme and brought in two more total footballers in Stoichkov and Koeman.

Defence

Starting at the back Van der Saar commands the box an excellent goalkeeper as well as being great on the ball, his distribution is up there with the best. At the centre of the defence Koeman comes in as the ball playing centre back, his passing will be instrumental in building from the back and launching quick counters, Campbell partners him as the athletic and robust stopper able to cover for him.

Krol moves to the left back position where he was equally world class, Carlos Alberto takes up the opposite full back position, both are able to play-make from the wings and provide support for the wingers. Both are also watertight defensively, providing the cover required when defending.

Midfield

At the base of the midfield is Argentinian/Italian maestro Luis Monti, not only a great DM and marker, but also a perceptive passer of the ball to more advanced players, also has the ability to drop into the centre back postion when Koeman gets forward. To the left of him is van Hanegem the consummate box-to-box play-maker in the midfield looking to pick up the ball and play the attackers through. Gullit is the third midfielder and has the most license to attack, picking the ball up from deep positions he will cause havoc running at the opposition defence and making those off the ball runs into the box.

Attack

Bergkamp is the central play making striker in the team, with his intelligent movement he will drag the opposition defenders around creating gaps for the other attackers to exploit, he will also be in and around the box getting in positions to score.

Stoichkov comes in on the left wing, a player who is well versed in the totaalvoetbal philosophy, he provides that extra goal threat that Keizer lacked.

On the right wing is Robben who provides that direct attacking threat and will love to interchange with Bergkamp, also passed from deep by Krol, Monti, WVH they will be able to use their pace to get behind the opposition defence. And also not to forget Bergkamp's ability to latch onto long balls and create magic like he did vs Argentina in the 98 world cup.

TEAM INDNYC

Formation : 4-3-3
Tactics : Attack the opposition by allowing Didi and Bozsik to play between the lines and have quick transitions to my star studded attack.

Attack :
Gento is one of the best of all time and even though he is facing one of the best right backs of all time, you don't want to leave him 1 on 1. Uwe Seeler is up there with the greatest strikers of all time and then we have Kubala who was voted the greatest Barcelona player of all time. There are goals galore in my front 3.

Midfield :

1. Didi - Advanced Playmaker playing in a creative role with slightly less emphasis on the defensive side of his game and allowing him to feed my attack. He'll fall back in the defensive phase of the game but mostly he will play between the lines and create scoring opportunities for my front 3

2. Bremner - He brings the balance to my midfield that was lacking in the previous round. Perfect Box to Box midfielder who is a commanding, physically strong and aggressive player with excellent passing range.

3. Bozsik - Supremely talented with the ball at his feet, Bozsik will look to get on the ball and dictate the game, pinging balls wide and between the lines to Didi and Bremner

Defence :

Arguably 2 of the greatest German full backs and supported by one of the Greatest goalkeeper of all time

Add the greatest Soviet defender and one of the classiest defenders in the last 20 years, we have a defense shutting out the best of attacks

Schnellinger will be the more balanced full back given he has Gento in front of him and Lahm will be the more attacking of the two supporting Kubala

Shesternyov and Carvalho are both comfortable on the ball and should be able to handle Bergkamp.

Why we will win

1) Great attack. Even with Carlos Alberto, the combination of Didi + Gento on the left side is going to be devastating and it will limit the damage Carlos Alberto can do going forward as he will be a bit more restricted.

2) More creativity in midfield in Didi, Bozsik and Bremner are incisive in their passing and expect them to create opportunities for my attack.

idmanager

Building something really special there @2mufc0

What makes it all the more special is that it doesn't include Cruyff or Neeskens and still looks class.

That is a draft winning team for me after 1 more round of reinforcements if you knock them out of the park like you have so far..

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I fancy Seeler/Kubala against that defence, esp if Kubala drifts in. Don't really like Didi in that role. Prefer him with a DM as the base 2.

Lovely team from 2mufc. Nothing to say about that. Bergkamp as F9 takes some getting used to. He really needs to upgrade his CBs.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I fancy Seeler/Kubala against that defence, esp if Kubala drifts in. Don't really like Didi in that role. Prefer him with a DM as the base 2.

Lovely team from 2mufc. Nothing to say about that. Bergkamp as F9 takes some getting used to. He really needs to upgrade his CBs.
Don't get the logic Edgar my centre backs are no worse than his.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Building something really special there @2mufc0

What makes it all the more special is that it doesn't include Cruyff or Neeskens and still looks class.

That is a draft winning team for me after 1 more round of reinforcements if you knock them out of the park like you have so far..
Brilliant team from @2mufc0. Can't point or find any weakness.
Thanks!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Amazing team @2mufc0 Absolutely love it.

Agree with Edgar that Sol could maybe be upgraded if you get through. I think Koeman looks awesome though.

Indnyc

I’ll probably start the thread on best position for Didi.. He played pretty much in this role with Zito behind him.. Here he has both Bremner and Bozsik behind him.. How much defensive protection does he require?

Indnyc

Lahm and Schnellinger are very well suited to defend against Robben and Stoichkov. Both are comfortable defending centrally when Robben and Stoichkov cut inside.

Carvalho has faced of Bergkamp 3 times with zero goals or assists conceded and 2 clean sheets. Again very well suited to manage him.

Indnyc

An underlying theme i feel is that Bozsik isn't a strong defensive presence. He played pretty much as a defensive midfield with Zakarias behind him in a W-M formation.

He's perfectly capable of playing the deep lying playmaker role who is intelligent to cut through balls without jumping into tackles.

Bremner is the guy who adds a bit more steel in the midfield and is going to be a tough proposition for anybody

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Koeman getting a rough deal around here isn't something new, but despite the negativity he's in his element in this setup and is a major strength rather than a weakness.

Koeman is the perfect player for the setup considering a lot of the team principles align with Cruyff's. The team was built on pro-activeness and optimising the setup along those principles — Koeman is perfect to execute that, drafting shouldn't just be about taking defenders who might've been great in general, but poor fits for the approach, a lot of the time we see players thrown in together with no regards to chemistry - team chemistry has won more games in football history than a bunch of singular brilliant individuals thrown into a team.

Plus, he has two athletic players alongside him in Alberto and Campbell — so his lack of top-shelf speed is not going to be a major issue.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2016/0...92-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/

The build-up of Barcelona was made largely through the intelligence of their two central players, Pep Guardiola and Ronald Koeman. Guardiola acted as the lone 6 and played just ahead of the defensive line whilst Koeman was the central of defence and showed great ball-playing ability in a libero role.

To have two players in the first and 2nd lines of the shape with such playmaking qualities was a luxury which was crucial to Barcelona’s possession game. Especially when Vialli lead the line on his own, Sampdoria failed to maintain access against them both which was largely down to their passivity in Barcelona’s build-up phase and Koeman in particular actively tried to take advantage with his long passes.
Not to mention he was a consistent outlet from the deep for Stoichkov...

Last edited:

Indnyc

@Tuppet posted this lovely read on Billy Bremner. On mobile so unable to quote properly

Billy Bremner seem pretty underrated from first match, so here's a little profile on him courtesy I didn't get then why everyone believed he is a class below the likes of Souness & Robson.

Billy Bremner

Brazil vs Scotland

Goals
People often refer to Giles as the skilful foil to Bremner’s fighting spirit, but that does the Scot a disservice.

Bremner was the complete midfielder. He was a great passer, he was quick, and strong (despite his small stature). He also had bags of energy that, combined with unrelenting determination to win, allowed him to run across every blade of grass during a 90-minute match. Bremner also had an eye for goal – he hit the back of the net at total of 115 times for Leeds, which makes him fifth on the club’s all-time goal-scorers’ list.

His performances in Europe and Internationally also get him the recognition in prestigious Ballon D'or award, where he was represented 3 times and finished in top 10 twice -

1973 Ballon D'or

1 Johan Cruyff
2 Dino Zoff
3 Gerd Müller
4 Franz Beckenbauer
5 Billy Bremner
6 Kazimierz Deyna
7 Eusébio
8 Gianni Rivera

1974 Ballon D'or

1 Johan Cruyff
2 Franz Beckenbauer
3 Kazimierz Deyna
4 Paul Breitner
5 Johan Neeskens
6 Grzegorz Lato
7 Gerd Müller
8 Robert Gadocha
9 Billy Bremner

From those lists you can also see that this was a particularly strong era and he had to compete with some of the bona-fide greats of football. In 1974 as per the Ballon D'or ratings he was the best midfielder in the world.

Bremner was a legitimate great of the British football and should be remembered as such. I have no doubt that he more than holds his own in the current midfield battle.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Amazing team @2mufc0 Absolutely love it.

Agree with Edgar that Sol could maybe be upgraded if you get through. I think Koeman looks awesome though.
Whilst every team has a player that could be upgraded and Sol is probably one for me, i will still defend him as i think he still is a brilliant defender, he has world cup and champions league credentials and not mention his importance in the invincible season. He's easily top 5 English CB.

Indnyc

Another theme i would like to point out.. Carlos Alberto would have to stay back a lot more with Didi - Gento combination on that side. He wouldn't be able to help out in attack as much. Here are some videos of Didi and Gento which show how difficult it will be for even somebody like Carlos Alberto to deal with alone.

Didi 1958 vs. France

Didi 1958 vs. Sweden

[/QUOTE]

Best of Paco Gento

Indnyc

Whilst every team has a player that could be upgraded and Sol is probably one for me, i will still defend him as i think he still is a brilliant defender, he has world cup and champions league credentials and not mention his importance in the invincible season. He's easily top 5 English CB.
Yeah i am with you.. I think he is up there with the best modern center backs.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah it’s not a criticism mate, just an observation that he’s probably the clear position to upgrade. It’s more a reflection of the quality in the rest of your team.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I’ll probably start the thread on best position for Didi.. He played pretty much in this role with Zito behind him.. Here he has both Bremner and Bozsik behind him.. How much defensive protection does he require?
You have a defensive player in Billy and a playmaker in Bozsik. I just don't see the need to have another midfield playmaker. Your team will be better off with a goalscoring #10 imo.

Indnyc

You have a defensive player in Billy and a playmaker in Bozsik. I just don't see the need to have another midfield playmaker. Your team will be better off with a goalscoring #10 imo.
Fair enough. I disagree though because Didi in a 3 man midfield is deemed as not a goal scoring no. 10 but in a 2 man midfield will be overrun as he is not defensive enough

Charly

Don't see a problem with an advanced playmaker - Deep lying playmaker combo. Lots of team played like that Xavi-Iniesta immediately comes to mind. What Didi gives you is lot of all time great level creativity around the attacking third. Didi in general seem very underrated, he is by all the sources cited as the probably the greatest attack minded midfielder there is and his combination with Bozsik should create too many chances for players like Gento - Kubala - Seeler to miss.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
He was never a defensive player. Put him with a Zito like players as the base in a 4231 and it's fine. Didi-Stiles for example.
Maybe he would but up against a midfield three it would be draft carnage.

I actually think the use of Didi is pretty good. It puts him is his favoured position and allows him to create. I haven't seen too much of Bozsik but I don't remember him demanding everything goes through him. Also with Kubala and Seeler they have two goalscorers with a lot of pedigree. It's not that often you have three players who score lots and lots of goals in a side.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I really like both sides. 2mufc0 just edged it as from what I have seen Schellinger isn't that great and up against Robben could well be an issue.

Indnyc

I really like both sides. 2mufc0 just edged it as from what I have seen Schellinger isn't that great and up against Robben could well be an issue.
I think Schnellinger is a good fit for someone who likes to cut inside given he also played centrally as a sweeper

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I haven't seen too much of Bozsik but I don't remember him demanding everything goes through him.
To be fair he played with Puskas and Hidegkuti, who did a lot of playmaking from forward positions.

idmanager

Think this would be my all time Didi midfield

Didi Lampard
Makalele