Roulette Draft - QF: Don Alfredo vs. Tuppet

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Sure Boniek had great energy and movement but no way were they his primary qualities. It was his ability on the ball and especially his passing and vision. It is fine with another alpha playmaker but there three of them in this team which already an overkill, a 4th one would be completely redundant.
Kaka was everything but alpha playmaker though. Yeah, his passing is generally underrated, but he wasn't the one who would run the game. He would generally be on the end of finishing moves or just run through your midfield when space opened up.
Totti is also comfortable in this role and fits nicely either as a goal threat or pulling defenders out for Kaka. Personally, can't see an overkill here. You could argue that Don lacks a bit more firepower up front, but that's because he had to shut it down behind.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Congratz @Tuppet , you build an incredible team:)

Just some thoughts on the game

I can understand little love for an unusual formation graphic, but I think I explained my tactics very well in my write-up. Pretty much every aspect of Tuppet's attack is countered to the maximum, except for some lone dribbles by Jairzinho. I even think I managed to get the upper hand against Tuppet's monstrous midfield, with quality players, clear roles and numerical advantage.

The only question left is, can Totti, Kaka and Jair score against Andrade, Bossis and McGrath? I think neither of those defenders are among the very best ever in their positions, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some chances.

I get why leaving Boniek out makes my attack weaker on paper, but who would fancy him against Djalma anyway? I certainly wouldn't. I still think the answer for Zidane was not to put a dedicated marker on him, but to present a quality midfield, which could compete for midfield domination. The 3 central midfielders give way more attacking leeway for Suarez or Edwards to influence the game (contrary to just a double pivot with less stability) and Suarez-Jair is the perfect addition to what my team needed, i.e. natural width, a great DLP and 2 players who take part in both defense and offense.

I even think my defense looks more rounded compared to the last match, with Bergomi tucking in if possible, Cabrini next to a pure stopper and Passarella with more freedom to influence the match everywhere in defense and defensive midfield.

Anyway it was always going to be tough going up against Tuppet's side, with the best player in the draft and no clear weakness to exploit. I get why some don't like seeing Varane, Jair or Kaka on this level, but I think I have given them pretty much perfect roles to succeed and quality teammates to elevate their game, so I think fewer players would have been a better fit. I could have gotten Santamaria to replace Varane, but I really don't think there is much between them and Varane deserved to be kept as part of the Passarella-Varane partnership. Varane is taller, faster and better on the ball, I think the only clear big upgrades on Varane would have been Kohler or Desailly.

Jair could have been upgraded with Conti, but he was not very goalscoring either so I think there is not a single player out there who could have given me more goals while fulfilling the demands of the role like those two could. I have huge respect for Dzajic and I think it was fitting to put Bergomi and a defensive winger against him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Tuppet has a hell of a team. Surprised he got free dibs on Jairzinho and Djalma in the reinforcements, despite being at the bottom end of the snake, unless I'm missing something around the vaguaries of the no-mates restriction.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I get why leaving Boniek out makes my attack weaker on paper, but who would fancy him against Djalma anyway? I certainly wouldn't.
With him in a free role he wouldn't face Djalma that often to say that it would be a personal duel. Boniek and Kaka roaming around in a counter attacking system with Totti and Suárez supplying them :drool:

I completely understand the reasoning behind your formation though and if the games were played in reality, it would've been a rational choice.

edit: the score! Wow.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
With him in a free role he wouldn't face Djalma that often to say that it would be a personal duel. Boniek and Kaka roaming around in a counter attacking system with Totti and Suárez supplying them :drool:

I completely understand the reasoning behind your formation though and if the games were played in reality, it would've been a rational choice.

edit: the score! Wow.
I have yet to figure out a way to show Boniek‘s movement on a team sheet. A static picture does a big disservice to his style and we aren‘t allowed to use other pics or gifs in the write-up. I had Boniek and Bale changing wings in my write-up in the last match, but it did not gain much attention. Probably because I always post a thousand different aspects at the same time:lol:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it @Don Alfredo. Having my vote is basically like you won the whole damn thing.
Now I‘m feeling like Rocky after losing against Apollo:drool:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fascinating exchange between Moby and IDM in this thread.

idmanager

More of a CM than a B2B.
Maybe, but he sure as hell was known for his MF role rather than the defense (RB) role. Might have played a wing half which is where the RB claims might come from, I am not fully sure.
I have seen him being used as a DM/B2B/CM and when I did research a bit of him for this draft (Picked Nasazzi with Andrade being the next pick if a chain came up) and everywhere credible I read, he was described as a B2B powerhouse at his peak.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Tardelli and Edwards should have had their positions switched. Other than that it was a great unique tactic imo

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Tardelli and Edwards should have had their positions switched. Other than that it was a great unique tactic imo

I put Edwards further forward because he is better offensively and the 4-men midfield allows him to have more actions in attack. Why would you switch them?

Tardelli is not a usual fit for a DM, but his position just shows he is more defensive than than the other two and Suarez is responsible for the build up from deep anyway.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I also liked the approach @Don Alfredo but I don’t think Totti was the right striker for the tactic. I think you want more of a conventional forward as opposed to a false 9.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I also liked the approach @Don Alfredo but I don’t think Totti was the right striker for the tactic. I think you want more of a conventional forward as opposed to a false 9.
I can‘t imagine a static target striker in that role. Needs to be someone who can drift around and is good at running at defences, not hassling with the CBs all the time. Sheva is the obvious proven fit, but other than that I don‘t really like many of the options. Maybe Kempes is one that would work?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I can‘t imagine a static target striker in that role. Needs to be someone who can drift around and is good at running at defences, not hassling with the CBs all the time. Sheva is the obvious proven fit, but other than that I don‘t really like many of the options. Maybe Kempes is one that would work?
Nah I never suggested a static target man - just a proper forward as opposed to a false 9. You have a packed midfield and a lack of runners up front anyway so overloading the midfield even more doesn’t make sense imo, seems like diminishing returns when what you really need is someone to stretch the pitch the other way.

Yeah agree Sheva would work, I think any quick and mobile striker who’s good at finishing would work well.

harms

Staff
Btw, the most interesting article that I've read about Andrade. It also mentions a book From Train to Tango. The Style of Uruguayan Football, 1891-1954 that should've been published in 2014.

Andrade played mostly at half-back, from where he dominated games, busy in both halves of the pitch. A more recent equivalent might have been Zinedine Zidane, a World Cup winner with France in 1998, Hans Ulrich Gumbrecht of Stanford University has suggested, writing about Andrade in In Praise of Athletic Beauty in 2006: "All eyewitnesses were enchanted with the effortless elegance in his movements." He was muscular and powerful. There was a "sensational athletic energy" about his performances, which "awakened strong waves of an almost erotic desire". He was famed for never celebrating a goal, and for frequently missing training sessions.[/spoiler]

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/24/before-pele-there-was-andrade

harms

Staff
Elkjær as well