Round of 16

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The Round of 16 Bracket based on current results and odds to win.

Teams that are through in bold.

A Winner Brazil\
_________________Brazil_____
B Second Chile/______________\
______________________________Brazil__
C Winner Colombia\
_________________Colombia__/
D Second Uruguay/

E Winner France\
______________ ____France_
F Second Nigeria/__ ________.\
____________________ __ -_ ____Germany_
G Winner Germany\
______________+ _Germany_/
H Second Algeria/

B Winner
Netherlands\
___________________Netherlands
A Second Mexico/_______________\
_______________________________Netherlands
D Winner Costa Rica\
___________________Costa Rica__/
C Second Greece___/

F Winner Argentina\
_______________ _ __Argentina_
E Second Switzerland/_____ ____.\
_______________________________Argentina
H Winner Belgium\
__________________Belgium___/
G Second USA___/

Round of 8 based on betting odds of winning:

Brazil vs Colombia
France vs Germany

Netherlands vs Costa Rica
Argentina vs Belgium

With the most likely round of 4 being:

Brazil vs Germany
Netherlands vs Argentina

Of course there will likely be many twists and turns.

[Updated]

Last edited:

JosDeVos

Supports
Neutral.
I find it really difficult to be predict the top 2 of most of the groups.

Group A has Brazil as near certain winner but I can see all 3 teams end up in 2nd place.

Group B has Spain as the standout favourite along who always manage to perform well, however I wouldn't just write of Chile that easily. I think it's going to be very close between Chile and The Netherlands - might come down to GD in their games vs Australia.

In Group C you expect Colombia to win the group but Japan, Cote d'ivoire and Greece are all very solid teams who can beat eachother on their day.

3 teams to decide Group D really as you have England, Italy and Uruguy all able to push for a top 2 spot. I expect Italy to come out on top here with England battling it out with Suarez for 2nd.

Group E is one of the few groups where I don't expect too many issues with France and Switzerland seemingly having the better teams, France normally winning the group.

Argentina in Group F will be everyone's favourite here and I honestly don't know the first thing about any of the 3 others in this group, though Bosnia strikes me as the most dangerous 2nd team.

Group G should see Germany comfortably win, with Portugal taking 2nd. Wouldn't surprise me if Ghana caused an upset here though. I don't expect anything from the USA.

Group H looks like a bit of a borefest with Belgium and Russia normally the better teams.

All in all I find it much too difficult this time around to predict the Group outcomes with enough certainty to go deeper into predicting the finals already.

Argentina seems to be the only team that stands out at having the easiest/easier route to the QFs than other teams, having a decent group + facing Belgium/Russia/Portugal or Ghana in the round of 16.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Also Bosnia are last currently. Iran and Nigeria are tied at 2nd.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah because we narrowly lost to Argentina while the other 2 drew to each other, and probably put in the worst game of the tournament. Both have no chance against Argentina.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yeah because we narrowly lost to Argentina while the other 2 drew to each other, and probably put in the worst game of the tournament. Both have no chance against Argentina.
Sure mate, but that's irrelevant, isn't it? :lol: Current results and all that...

bosnian_red

Sure mate, but that's irrelevant, isn't it? :lol: Current results and all that...
Well he did put Uruguay there too for some reason...
I think it's more a mix of current results and expected how it will end up, the most likely scenario. Apart from the Uruguay one of course.

bosnian_red

Think it'll be:

Brazil-Netherlands
Colombia-England
France-Bosnia
Germany-Korea

Chile-Croatia
Italy-Ivory Coast
Argentina-Switzerland
Belgium-Portugal

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yeah, I took a small liberty with this one, Bosnia weren't expected to beat the Argies but I think they're favorites against Iran and Nigeria.

I'm not trying to be Nostradamus, just to give people a reference to look at if they wanna see what their team's route might look like.

bosnian_red

As above I'm not going strictly by who won, Uruguay are still getting better odds to win it all than Costa Rica.
It's pretty much the game today that decides who goes through but from what I've seen it wouldn't surprise me to see Uruguay finish bottom really. They rely on Suarez and he just had knee surgery, they aren't good at all apart from him.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

Okocha119

I think you're really underestimating Costa Rica. They are currently first and rightfully so. How do you put England in front of them at the moment? Wishfull thinking? Betting odds? If that's the case I think Portugal are still getting better odds then the US do for reaching the second round, at least on the sites I checked, and you got the US up there in the bracket. Based on current results, England should not be up there.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think you're really underestimating Costa Rica. They are currently first and rightfully so. How do you put England in front of them at the moment? Wishfull thinking? Betting odds? If that's the case I think Portugal are still getting better odds then the US do for reaching the second round, at least on the sites I checked, and you got the US up there in the bracket. Based on current results, England should not be up there.
Fair enough, will put in Portugal.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
I bet one of the last things that Brazil wants to do is play Chile and Uruguay in the knockout rounds.
Which makes the Holland - Chile game even more interesting. What if Chile beat Holland and top the group? Will Brazil throw the game away to Cameroon to make sure they finish second so they avoid the dutch? Remember they were eliminated by the dutch in the last WC and they have a very good record against the Chileans so I'm sure they will rather face Chile than Holland.

AllezLesDiables

I bet one of the last things that Brazil wants to do is play Chile and Uruguay in the knockout rounds.
Either way Brazil is going to play really well to get to the quarters absent any refereeing tomfoolery. The only reason why Chile might be a better opponent is that Brazil is somewhat in their head and Chile hasn't quite figured out how to beat Brazil.

Okocha119

Which makes the Holland - Chile game even more interesting. What if Chile beat Holland and top the group? Will Brazil throw the game away to Cameroon to make sure they finish second so they avoid the dutch? Remember they were eliminated by the dutch in the last WC and they have a very good record against the Chileans so I'm sure they will rather face Chile than Holland.
Thinking Brazil would throw a game intentionally is bonkers. After Croatia beat Cameroon 4:0, the homecrowd expects Brazil to get at least the same result. Plus they intend to win this tournament so they'll have to be able to beat any side they come across, I doubt that they'll try to avoid the Dutch. At last there is also the fact that if Croatia and Mexico draw while Cameroon beats Brazil they'd be out of the World Cup. Brazil will definitely go full force against Cameroon.

Reactions: Eboue

DannyDash

Thinking Brazil would throw a game intentionally is bonkers. After Croatia beat Cameroon 4:0, the homecrowd expects Brazil to get at least the same result. Plus they intend to win this tournament so they'll have to be able to beat any side they come across, I doubt that they'll try to avoid the Dutch. At last there is also the fact that if Croatia and Mexico draw while Cameroon beats Brazil they'd be out of the World Cup. Brazil will definitely go full force against Cameroon.
Scolari said he would want to avoid Chile as they are a headache to play against even though Brazil have a good record against them.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The first post date really confused me :lol:

The lower bracket is really weak, I was telling my friends this would happen. France or Germany would be better off coming second.

RedRedWineOT

The results do require regular updating. Costa Rica group champions? Portugal's position to be clearer after today. Exciting last round matches. Thanks, goo, for the OP and the follow-up.

Mali_Zeus

I dont think Brasil will think about throwing a game vs Cameroon so they dont play Chile cause in some of the scenarios with us drawing Mexico they could go out.

doodle

looking at the group tables, looks like it will be brazil vs holland in the next round

Morgoth

A
1 BRAZIL
2 Croatia-Mexico?

B
1 NETHERLANDS
2 CHILE

C
1 COLOMBIA
2 COSTA D'IVORE

D (I could be wrong here)
1 URUGUAY-ITALY?
2 Costa Rica

E
1 FRANCE
2 Ecuador-Swiss???

F
1 ARGENTINA
2 Nigeria

G
1 GERMANY
2 Usa

H
1 BELGIUM
2 Russia

FINAL PREDICTION

BRAZIL vs Chile
NETHERLANDS vs Croatia
COLOMBIA vs Costa Rica
URUGUAY vs Costa d'Ivore
FRANCE vs Nigeria
ARGENTINA vs Ecuador
GERMANY vs Russia
BELGIUM vs Usa?

Last edited:

Winrar

Prediction:

Brazil vs Chile
Colombia vs Italy
France vs Nigeria
Germany vs Algeria
Netherlands vs Mexico
Costa Rica vs Ivory Coast
Argentina vs Switzerland
Belgium vs USA

(Quarters: Brazil vs Colombia, France vs Germany, Netherlands vs Ivory Coast, Argentina vs USA)
(Semis: Colombia vs Germany, Netherlands vs Argentina)
(Final: Germany vs Netherlands)

Put in a couple of unexpected results in my predictions as this WC itself has been unpredictable to a degree.

Last edited:

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
How many United players will we see in last 16? I guess van Persie, Hernandez, Evra, Fellaini and Januzaj.
And Antonio Valencia if Ecuador better their result against Switzerland's game against Honduras as they have a superior goal difference. That's still pretty appalling for a club of United's stature.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A
1 BRAZIL
2 Croatia-Mexico?

B
1 NETHERLANDS
2 CHILE

C
1 COLOMBIA
2 COSTA D'IVORE

D (I could be wrong here)
1 URUGUAY-ITALY?
2 Costa Rica

E
1 FRANCE
2 Ecuador-Swiss???

F
1 ARGENTINA
2 Nigeria

G
1 GERMANY
2 Usa

H
1 BELGIUM
2 Russia

FINAL PREDICTION

BRAZIL vs Chile
NETHERLANDS vs Croatia
COLOMBIA vs Costa Rica
URUGUAY vs Costa d'Ivore
FRANCE vs Nigeria
ARGENTINA vs Ecuador
GERMANY vs Russia
BELGIUM vs Usa?
The assumption that England will just go and batter Costa Rica is very arrogant. They have already beaten two sides better than England.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
So Holland top the group and Chile finish 2nd. Does this mean Brazil might intentionally lose or draw with Cameroon so they finish 2nd to avoid facing Chile, going by what Scolari has said?