Roy Hodgson | #OpenToWork

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I said the same yesterday, the squad is also quite old and needs rebuilding. Roy isn't the guy to take them forward. I think their next manager should be a progressive manager that can play some attractive football. Their rivals Brighton have shown it can be done. Cc @Shipperley
To be fair they are 6 points clear of Brighton at the moment aren't they? Palace must be very aware that they made such a bags of the last time they tried to take a step forward and play more progressive football. You can understand why they've been scared off the idea for the time being, but bringing in the firefighter managers will have to stop working for them eventually, especially since I'm not sure there are any left who haven't already managed them.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Yeah this is a hot topic on our forums right now as you can imagine.

Firstly I would say he has been let down hugely by our board. When he’s been given quality players to work with we’ve played some beautiful stuff, I remember dismantling Leicester 5-0 at Selhurst in 2018 with Cabaye and RLC pulling the strings at that time. We never replaced those players with like for like quality, just like we never replaced AWB or Batshuayi when he went back to Chelsea. The most we have spent on a player in Roy’s time is Cheikou Kouyate for £9m which kind of says it all. The squad gets worse every year and the fact he had us safe by project restart with a strikeforce of Benteke and Ayew speaks volumes about what Roy does well. You also only have to look up the road to the London Stadium and what they have spent in comparison to appreciate the job he’s done.

BUT, as others have said, is he the man to manage the rebuild assuming our board might actually free up some funds this summer? Also, the global situation has undeniably changed and there is significant risk in having a 73 year old Manager should COVID re-emerge midway through next season. A lot of fans are also frustrated with the style of play at times, yesterday was a good performance all things considered but a lot of our games have been absolute dross with no invention, a general lack of proactivity, negative substitutions and a lack of trust in some players that fans think would make a difference going forwards (Camarasa, Meyer). He also has a weird aversion to playing academy prospects, even in dead-rubbers like these last few.

As to whether he will stay or go, I think a lot depends on whether the board fancy a go this coming year or are happy to keep sitting on their money and watch the team get worse. Also whether the right man becomes available of course...I don’t think we’ll change for the sake of it, it would need to be someone the board have been tracking for a long while. Ideal appointment for them (I imagine) is more a Dyche than a Potter, someone that will offer continuity and with a proven track record. The Frank De Boer experiment really pushed them away from riskier appointments I think.

Bojan11

He’s done well considering Zaha has been shit for majority of this campaign.

paulscholes18

I said the same yesterday, the squad is also quite old and needs rebuilding. Roy isn't the guy to take them forward. I think their next manager should be a progressive manager that can play some attractive football. Their rivals Brighton have shown it can be done. Cc @Shipperley
Need to be careful what you wish for. Seen people get sacked for there style of play only to hire a new manager who ends up getting them relegated as they don’t have the players to play that way, so teams always turn to safe “boring” managers to keep them up.

They hired de Boer to bring a style of play only to sack him 5 games later.

Say they get rid of Roy and bring in Howe, can you guarantee that he will improve the style of play & get them higher up the table

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brighton are 6 points behind Palace, and still had survival to play for on the restart.

Brighton also has the luxury of spending 70 million in the summer while poor Roy got 5 million and lost his best defender.

#harshonthehodge
Not to mention Brighton for all their “attractive football” have a whopping 5 more goals than Palace.

They sold their second best player for £50m last season and bought Jordan Ayew and Cahill on a free. Hodgson has done a great job.

Brighton are 6 points behind Palace, and still had survival to play for on the restart.

Brighton also has the luxury of spending 70 million in the summer while poor Roy got 5 million and lost his best defender.

#harshonthehodge
CP had money from the AWB sale, i dont know why they didn't buy a replacement.

To be fair they are 6 points clear of Brighton at the moment aren't they? Palace must be very aware that they made such a bags of the last time they tried to take a step forward and play more progressive football. You can understand why they've been scared off the idea for the time being, but bringing in the firefighter managers will have to stop working for them eventually, especially since I'm not sure there are any left who haven't already managed them.
Need to be careful what you wish for. Seen people get sacked for there style of play only to hire a new manager who ends up getting them relegated as they don’t have the players to play that way, so teams always turn to safe “boring” managers to keep them up.

They hired de Boer to bring a style of play only to sack him 5 games later.

Say they get rid of Roy and bring in Howe, can you guarantee that he will improve the style of play & get them higher up the table
Personnel is the biggest issue they need to bring in quality players too. Roy is 72 i think so they need to start looking forward at some point. De Boer was always an awful choice tbh they had the right idea but he wasnt the guy, that doesn't mean they shouldn't try again.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
The AWB money was used to pay off debt and redevelop the academy, it’s all gone. Financially speaking we seem to be in good shape, which I suppose is fortunate in these times. The tarquins, however, owe Tony Bloom about £200m in loans and would be bang in trouble if he ever had to call them in.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Because they’re American! See Kroenke, the Glazers, even FSG...Americans aren’t in it for the love of the game that is for sure.

paulscholes18

Because they’re American! See Kroenke, the Glazers, even FSG...Americans aren’t in it for the love of the game that is for sure.
Yep, definitely businessman rather than football people.
Max Aarons should have been signed to replace AWB

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I would have loved Aarons but there’s no way we were spending the £18-20m they were talking about for him under this ownership. I expect Nathan Ferguson will be joining from West Brom for a modest tribunal fee as the AWB replacement (finally, only a year late!).

American owners are the worst, hopefully you guys can get some good deals in the upcoming window. Especially if you try and buy from the relegated teams, Villa, Norwich etc.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
7 defeats in a row since I labelled him a miracle worker. Yikes. They were on our heels a month ago.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Are they signing Eze from QPR?
Would love him but West Ham are in for him as well so he’ll go there, bit like Bowen.

Think the fanbase turned tonight, that was utter utter crap from Palace, not a reflection of what we’re about at all. Said it repeatedly on this thread that Roy has been hugely let down by our board throughout his tenure, but the players are no longer responding to him and we’re no longer keeping clean sheets. A Hodgson team that can no longer defend is pointless, literally. I think a parting of the ways might be best for everyone.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Grinning from ear to ear after being absolutely thumped. Seems like his allegiances to his former club are still strong.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Grinning from ear to ear after being absolutely thumped. Seems like his allegiances to his former club are still strong.
Must admit, people talk about him like he is some sort of incredible football man, solely because he's bounced from various jobs in multiple leagues.

The guy had one chance at a top club and was found out. Yet everyone talks like he is Marcelo Lippi or Heynkes.

So odd.

cyberman

Must admit, people talk about him like he is some sort of incredible football man, solely because he's bounced from various jobs in multiple leagues.

The guy had one chance at a top club and was found out. Yet everyone talks like he is Marcelo Lippi or Heynkes.

So odd.
Yep. Theres no need to be an actual manager in mid table as in adapting to certain teams. Just play your normal game and youll lose some, win some and finish 11th.

Falcow

His bi annual 'drop the kacks and bend over for pool' routine. 12 - 0 aggregate score in last 2 matches. Losing by 7 at home to any team in the same league is a sackable offence.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
His bi annual 'drop the kacks and bend over for pool' routine. 12 - 0 aggregate score in last 2 matches. Losing by 7 at home to any team in the same league is a sackable offence.
Big Ralph doesn’t like this

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Tbf we always used to say the same for Fergie and the members of the old wine club for years.. Allardyce, Hughes, Bruce etc

simplyared

He's not going to take Palace anywhere. Their table position doesn't show the true picture. Time for Roy to step down. Today's game was an embarassment and that smile even worse.

georgipep

He's not going to take Palace anywhere. Their table position doesn't show the true picture. Time for Roy to step down. Today's game was an embarassment and that smile even worse.
Where do you think they should be aiming to go? Maybe good to first check where Palace where before Hodgson?

Needham

I want Roy to do well just so we get to see the first 80 year old top flight manager. Bet he'll still be washing his face with his dry hands.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Where do you think they should be aiming to go? Maybe good to first check where Palace where before Hodgson?
Before Hodgson:

2013-2014: 11th
2014-2015: 10th
2015-2016: 15th (including runner-up in the FA Cup)
2016-2017: 14th

Under Hodgson:

2017-2018: 11th
2018-2019: 12th
2019-2020: 14th

Hodgson has mainly kept them stable, nothing he's done has been a massive accomplishment.

Getting beat 7-0 must be awful when you don't sense any progress. Southampton under Hasslehoff could at least see some gold at the end of the rainbow.

simplyared

Place in Europe - Europa League. Can't see it though. Too many players past the sell by date in their squad. Roy being very humble in his post match comments and handled it very well considering. However he like many of his players is past his best.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

So odd.
Would love to see the posts where people have done that. :lol:

He's done a good job at plenty of mid table clubs and struggled in the better jobs just like the vast majority of managers operating in world football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Before Hodgson:

Under Hodgson:

Hodgson has mainly kept them stable, nothing he's done has been a massive accomplishment.
TBF 2017-18 he took over when they'd lost 6 or 7 straight so have to factor that in for that season. Last season they were doing well then were terrible after lockdown, proper on the beach team once they hit 40 points.

He's a reasonably solid manager for a Palace though as he showed at Fulham and West Brom. Palace is just the new Charlton/Boro really, just doing enough to finish mid table most seasons. If they went down they wouldn't be back for a while.

georgipep

Before Hodgson:

Under Hodgson:

Getting beat 7-0 must be awful when you don't sense any progress. Southampton under Hasslehoff could at least see some gold at the end of the rainbow.
Under Pardew they were going to get relegated. Allardyce stabilised the ship then resigned. De Boer was so bad that he only lasted 77 days. And then we have Hodgson who actually found consistency and stability. They have a limited budget and I don't think they can realistically aspire for European competition, but that's just my opinion (and apparently their directors').

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Before Hodgson:

Under Hodgson:

This is unfair to Roy I think. He has been extremely restricted in terms of the money he has available to him.

He has a net spend of -40 million over the last four transfer windows.

The club simply aren’t spending the money on the squad to compete at this level and they want a steady hand that will keep them in the division.

Acole9

Outstanding
There's talk he's meant to be retiring at the end of the season anyway.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Would love to see the posts where people have done that. :lol:

He's done a good job at plenty of mid table clubs and struggled in the better jobs just like the vast majority of managers operating in world football.
Good jobs that he gets sacked or moves to another middling club where there is zero expectation.

Crustanoid

Palace are a disgrace. Bend over for Liverpool, cup final vs us. These mid table frauds have no place in the PL. Hope they get relegated down to the North West Hellenic Conference

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Palace are a disgrace. Bend over for Liverpool, cup final vs us. These mid table frauds have no place in the PL. Hope they get relegated down to the North West Hellenic Conference
Pretty sure their record in last 6-7 years at Selhurst Park is much better v Liverpool than Man. United but happy to be corrected on that!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Much better is pushing it a bit. 1 win, 1 draw against Liverpool at Selhurst Park compared to 1 draw against us in the same timeframe.
Ah right. Nothing much in last few seasons then as I can obviously remember "Crystanbul" and then Warnock turned them over pretty comfortably the following season.

Man. United nearly win as much at Selhurst Park as Villa Park so I've always thought it's a pretty good ground for you stretching back to 90s when Wimbledon played there.