Roy Keane

padzilla

Hipster
Nah we weren't. But since we won we only remember the good ;) . Had we lost it would have been remembered as a terrible performance considering how good we were prior to that in the tournament.
I have literally watched the full game loads of times, we weren't great but Munich certainly weren't either.
It was a scrappy game, largely down to us being without Keane and Scholes and not being able to penetrate their defence after they scored a soft early goal, they were happy to sit back and hit us on the counter and almost put the game beyond reach but we were definitely the team that was playing the better football and going forward more, obviously in no small part to needing an equaliser.
Jesper Blomqvist missed a sitter from six yards out that I could have scored, not only did he miss it, he scooped it about 20 yards over the bar.
Munich's problems really began when they took Mattheus off after he had been running their defence superbly, after that they went to panic stations and we capitalised.
The suggestion we didn't deserve to win is inaccurate though. We had more possession, more shots on target and more importantly scored more.
One thing it did confirm to me though was that Beckham wasn't a top class box-to-box midfielder, obviously he is a world-class right sided midfielder, but he was doing a lot of running about that reminded me of Fred a little bit, in that it was a headless chicken performance at times.
That said his energy levels were superb and he was still sprinting them down and spraying great passes in injury time.
Anyway this is a weird hill for me to choose to die on ha, ha.

Bestietom

If we had a player and Leader like Roy Keane Now. We would be winning this Premiership and Champions League.

Litch

Loved him as a player but as a pundit, he just comes out with stuff to be controversial. Purely there for just vibes and banter...

Denis79

I have literally watched the full game loads of times, we weren't great but Munich certainly weren't either.
It was a scrappy game, largely down to us being without Keane and Scholes and not being able to penetrate their defence after they scored a soft early goal, they were happy to sit back and hit us on the counter and almost put the game beyond reach but we were definitely the team that was playing the better football and going forward more, obviously in no small part to needing an equaliser.
Jesper Blomqvist missed a sitter from six yards out that I could have scored, not only did he miss it, he scooped it about 20 yards over the bar.
Munich's problems really began when they took Mattheus off after he had been running their defence superbly, after that they went to panic stations and we capitalised.
The suggestion we didn't deserve to win is inaccurate though. We had more possession, more shots on target and more importantly scored more.
One thing it did confirm to me though was that Beckham wasn't a top class box-to-box midfielder, obviously he is a world-class right sided midfielder, but he was doing a lot of running about that reminded me of Fred a little bit, in that it was a headless chicken performance at times.
That said his energy levels were superb and he was still sprinting them down and spraying great passes in injury time.
Anyway this is a weird hill for me to choose to die on ha, ha.
I also think we deserved to win but I always think that :lol: . Been a few years since I watched the full game so I could very well be wrong. My memory is though that it was our poorest game in the tournament. Maybe the first leg against Juventus was worse?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
If we had a player and Leader like Roy Keane Now. We would be winning this Premiership and Champions League.
Bruno anyone? But a Keane type player wouldn't work nowadays, he'd have more red cards than most for a start. :lol:

So we're not "joint top" on points and only 3rd because of goal difference are we? You talk as if we're in free fall and something to be negative about, we're having a fantastic start to the season and long may it continue. Shame we drew against Southampton, but so did City, so nothing to be too upset about. They've only lost once too.

Bruno anyone? But a Keane type player wouldn't work nowadays, he'd have more red cards than most for a start. :lol:

So we're not "joint top" on points and only 3rd because of goal difference are we? You talk as if we're in free fall and something to be negative about, we're having a fantastic start to the season and long may it continue. Shame we drew against Southampton, but so did City, so nothing to be too upset about. They've only lost once too.
Roy wouldn't need to play the same way now. He could play with 50% of his intensity and boss midfields.

People forget that Roy got recieved as much as he gave out. Players gave him a lot of rough treatment. Just look at how Gary Speed intentionally did Roy in the 99 FA Cup final.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Loved him as a player but as a pundit, he just comes out with stuff to be controversial. Purely there for just vibes and banter...
He is actually good as a pundit and I like him. Sometimes he just says stuff to garner a reaction but most of the time it’s straight to the point and right.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Cracking performance from Keane. Scoreline flattered to deceive Leeds, as we had the upper hand throughout the game, and despite Blanc having a good game on that day, the defense was a bit leaky.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Cracking performance from Keane. Scoreline flattered to deceive Leeds, as we had the upper hand throughout the game, and despite Blanc having a good game on that day, the defense was a bit leaky.
What strikes me most about this is that you call his performance cracking.

Which is accurate - don't get me wrong.

But this is how he usually played in his prime. Not every single match - but more often than not. And this is nowhere near his absolute best performance for United.

His default standard was so high above anything we're used to these days that even a somewhat mediocre Keano performance would look brilliant.

Just imagine replacing Fred (or any of the others we're currently using in the middle) with Roy Keane...it's enough to make you cry.

RUCK4444

But this is how he usually played in his prime. Not every single match - but more often than not. And this is nowhere near his absolute best performance for United.

His default standard was so high above anything we're used to these days that even a somewhat mediocre Keano performance would look brilliant.

Just imagine replacing Fred (or any of the others we're currently using in the middle) with Roy Keane...it's enough to make you cry.
Absolutely.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Spot on. I'm sure watching our midfield play and then one of Keane's older performances probably played a role. He's definitely had better games, that's for sure and this was a standard performance, which was great in its own right.

His consistency and more importantly, the standards that he demanded from his teammates were just remarkable.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
He was the only one who turned up against Leeds...was like a Robbo performance. Great player, perhaps Fergie's best...he'd cost a fair bit in the current game, wouldn't he.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He was unbelieveable, untouchable.
Yeah, he was.

Said it before, but to me Keane was on a different level than Giggs, Beckham and Scholes (who were all incredible players, and all "world class" according to one definition or another).

Keane was something else, though.

Keane > Giggs = Beckham = Scholes

(On the whole).

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah, he was.

Said it before, but to me Keane was on a different level than Giggs, Beckham and Scholes (who were all incredible players, and all "world class" according to one definition or another).

Keane was something else, though.

Keane > Giggs = Beckham = Scholes

(On the whole).
I agree with that. And that was the general consensus during his career. But I doubt large portion of our fans are old enough to remember his pomp.

Wing Attack Plan R

Keane was an incredible midfielder but from a bygone era. I don't think players should be fearing for their lives when they step on the pitch. That kind of "I'm gonna end your career" shit doesn't belong in sport. Great player, a United legend, and a psycho.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just seeing his defensive involvements/interactions in the clip above...how often he tracks an opposition player and disrupts the attack perfectly.

If we had someone who could do that alone, I'd take it - even if he couldn't also (which Keano could) contribute constantly in an attacking capacity.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I agree with that. And that was the general consensus during his career. But I doubt large portion of our fans are old enough to remember his pomp.
True.

And now he's become something of a meme on top of everything else (as a grumpy, bearded caricature pundit).

Spoony

The People's President
Keane was an incredible midfielder but from a bygone era. I don't think players should be fearing for their lives when they step on the pitch. That kind of "I'm gonna end your career" shit doesn't belong in sport. Great player, a United legend, and a psycho.
That still goes on. Players have black books.

The thing is Keane get remembered like this because he's was so high profile. But it was the way of the league back then, Keane got just as much as he gave out.

Spoony

The People's President
True.

And now he's become something of a meme on top of everything else (as a grumpy, bearded caricature pundit).

He's was a pyscho, and other words with the same effect. When I first joined you'd never hear a bad word about him because he was such a great player sadly that was many moons ago but how time can be cruel eh.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Totally agree. This was when we were relentless. Always full of running and energy.

Today United play walking football

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Totally agree. This was when we were relentless. Always full of running and energy.

Today United play walking football
Agreed although I think because the game is played at a quicker pace now, players have less energy reserves to begin with. Especially when meaningless internationals are factored in. But generally I wish United were more energetic across the park

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ha, I just finished watching that after it popped up on my homepage, came here to post it, and it's already being discussed!

What a player, and what a performance. What I especially loved was his turn for Scholes' goal. He wasn't some water carrier - he had excellent composure and balance. Not many - especially back then - would've turned in that position as simple as it looks.

He was the only one who turned up against Leeds...was like a Robbo performance. Great player, perhaps Fergie's best...he'd cost a fair bit in the current game, wouldn't he.
Have to disagree there, brother. Scholes - who was playing out of position - was just as good, if not better that game:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
A special, special player.

And brilliant character as well. Of all United greats, he has grown on me the most as the years go by.

Spoony

The People's President
Ha, I just finished watching that after it popped up on my homepage, came here to post it, and it's already being discussed!

What a player, and what a performance. What I especially loved was his turn for Scholes' goal. He wasn't some water carrier - he had excellent composure and balance. Not many - especially back then - would've turned in that position as simple as it looks.

Have to disagree there, brother. Scholes - who was playing out of position - was just as good, if not better that game:

Hmmmm ..would interesting to see the whole game again.

Red00012

You should Google Vinny Jones and a few others around his time he wasn’t the only player like that . Players are just soft now , football was much enjoyable to watch back then.

GueRed

Top display and he wasn''t even in his physical prime here.

His hip had been bothering him for months in 2002...later that year he did have hip surgery.

Physically wasnt the same player after that. There were even talks of him retiring.

Still led by example churning out at least 7/10 performances week in week out mind...

GueRed

I loved his early years when he was just a pure box to box midfielder. alongside Ince that season it was like a cheatcode. really.

Oranges038

He wasn't a psycho. That's just bullshit.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Not that it matters too much to my fellow reds but how highly was he regarded by opposition fans ?

Interesting to read/hear their views on Keane.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Not that it matters too much to my fellow reds but how highly was he regarded by opposition fans ?

Interesting to read/hear their views on Keane.
As a footballer, I think Keane has become really underrated. His passing was outstanding. It's just become sexy to portray him as a thug who ranted at anybody who breathed on a football pitch.

SirAF

Ageist
With all due respect, what a load of bollocks.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I obviously don't give a shit what you think, but if you would like to add to the conversation other than just offering your opinion, then we can talk about something.
He wasn’t a psycho and your post sounded like someone who had never watched him play. I think that is what the poster was surprised at.

He was ultra competitive and kept an extremely high standard for himself and those who played with him. He was a leader. That competitive edge saw a few bad tackles and heated moments, but he was never a psycho.

His demeanor as this cold, distant figure has been dispelled by those who played with him so many times. He was a competitor and it was that competitive streak that drove him to have the consistency that he had.

He played on the edge at times, but he was never an out of control psycho.

Wing Attack Plan R

He wasn’t a psycho and your post sounded like someone who had never watched him play. I think that is what the poster was surprised at.

He was ultra competitive and kept an extremely high standard for himself and those who played with him. He was a leader. That competitive edge saw a few bad tackles and heated moments, but he was never a psycho.

His demeanor as this cold, distant figure has been dispelled by those who played with him so many times. He was a competitor and it was that competitive streak that drove him to have the consistency that he had.

He played on the edge at times, but he was never an out of control psycho.
Intentionally trying to maim an opponent in a game, is psychopathic behavior. I already said he was a brilliant player and a United legend (and rightly so) but that edge he played with was beyond the pale. He wasn't the only player like that, and I'm not saying he was, but that shit becomes assault and stops being sport.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Intentionally trying to maim an opponent in a game, is psychopathic behavior. I already said he was a brilliant player and a United legend (and rightly so) but that edge he played with was beyond the pale. He wasn't the only player like that, and I'm not saying he was, but that shit becomes assault and stops being sport.
It was an awful tackle, no excuses, even though haaland stood over him berating him after he did his knee ligaments in a prior fixture. It’s a link, but not en excuse.

Haaland was in the air though and he has caught him. It wasn’t a tackle to maim anyone and that’s probably his worst/most memorable moment of that nature.

He wasn’t a player whose aim was to hurt opposition players. He regularly clashed with them as he was outplaying them because he was such a good footballer.

There are plenty of players playing today with far dirtier moments than Keane who aren’t called “psychos”

Another “infamous” moment from Keane was his “stamp” on Southgate. It was as light a prod as you could do in that situation and Southgate had just railed into him with a two footed challenge that should have been a red, which no one seems to remember!

Check out Mings stamping on people’s heads full force and no one seems to think he is a psycho.

Wing Attack Plan R

It was an awful tackle, no excuses, even though haaland stood over him berating him after he did his knee ligaments in a prior fixture. It’s a link, but not en excuse.

Haaland was in the air though and he has caught him. It wasn’t a tackle to maim anyone and that’s probably his worst/most memorable moment of that nature.

He wasn’t a player whose aim was to hurt opposition players. He regularly clashed with them as he was outplaying them because he was such a good footballer.

There are plenty of players playing today with far dirtier moments than Keane who aren’t called “psychos”

Another “infamous” moment from Keane was his “stamp” on Southgate. It was as light a prod as you could do in that situation and Southgate had just railed into him with a two footed challenge that should have been a red, which no one seems to remember!

Check out Mings stamping on people’s heads full force and no one seems to think he is a psycho.
Mings should have been arrested for that, and that also qualifies as psycho. The bolded bit isn't true. I read his autobiography. I think Keane's brilliance as a player can be separated from his bloodlust, I don't think they are inextricably linked. I probably should not have commented on this Keane thread because I should have expected this.

SirAF

Ageist
I obviously don't give a shit what you think, but if you would like to add to the conversation other than just offering your opinion, then we can talk about something.
Roy Keane is not «psycho», pretty sure that’s close to a libelous claim.