Roy Keane

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
FA Cup final 1996.

What are you talking about playing within himself, he was a pass and move player, and a brilliant one at that, he was the definition of a team player.
Don't think anybody played well that day, on either side, the highlight the winning goal apart was the Liverpool team turning up late still in the suits they'd worn at their Miami Vice auditions earlier in the day.

Greck

SAF, Neville, Keane, Cantona. We had all these angry personalities in our locker room. No wonder we were ruthless serial winners. Once in a lifetime congregation of personalities. I always believed Ronaldo would have been closer to Suarez in character if he wasn't exposed to some of the characters at the club at the time

Brophs

The One and Only
It’s weird how almost all of the traits that seem to annoy him about SAF also apply to him. Unlike SAF, though, he hasn’t really evolved past thinking it’s a good thing when your manager chins you in the dressing room.

redmanx

I think the bottom line of the story of Keane's departure is mentioned in the video. Towards the end Keane had continued to speak his mind and cross lines as he had done throughout his 12 and a half years at United, but when you're no longer an essential part of the team your position is much more tenuous when you are involved in clashes of opinion/personality. Throw in Keane's ego, Fergie's ego and Carlos Queiroz into the mix and as Gary says something had to give after a month/six weeks of things bubbling away.
Keane was and always will be a hero to United supporters, indispensable for virtually all his all his United career, a leader who never gave in, never tolerated anything less than 100% from his team mates and genuinely lead from the front, Roy Keane as a player was priceless, but nobody is indispensable for ever, sadly Roy couldn't accept that and as his powers and influence waned he tried compensating by becoming more and more vociferous, even challenging SAFs decisions, there was only ever going to be one winner and that wasn't Keane and being one of the games greatest ever winners he couldn't accept gracefully that he lost and he and SAFs relationship broke down irreparably. Keane still wants United to be the best and as ever doesn't hold back. Keane belongs with the very, very best who wore Uniteds shirt.

Tel074

We dominated domestically when the league was markedly weaker than it was post Keane and we only had one real rival. The Premier League was the strongest in the world when we won 3 titles 06-09. In 2008 when we won the CL, 3/4 semi finalists were Premier Leagues. We made 3 Champions League finals in that era too. Only beaten by the greatest club side of all time. I don't think we were humiliated in 09 either, in 11 sure. The level of the team was just higher in that era by all logical and tangible measures.

I thought we where humiliated more in 09 than 11 but just my own opinion

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Despite his attitude he is a legend for what he achieved with our club. Nobody’s perfect so get real with this dead stuff.

Nanotron

Despite his attitude he is a legend for what he achieved with our club. Nobody’s perfect so get real with this dead stuff.
Id rather have his attitude in my dressing room than the spineless mercenaries at the club now. All he ever wanted was the best for the team, he was right in a most of what he said when he was here.

clarkydaz

Don't think anybody played well that day, on either side, the highlight the winning goal apart was the Liverpool team turning up late still in the suits they'd worn at their Miami Vice auditions earlier in the day.
Keane nullified Mcmanaman. Anyone trying to downplay Keane as a footballer will be in a distinct minority

Halftrack

He makes a good point about Fergie's "chief scout" brother. Name one player he found
Why do just one, when you can do five? Now, I certainly can't comment on how good Martin Ferguson was in his role, but Stam, RvN and Forlan were all signed on the back of his recommendations, as were Chicharito and Anderson.

It's pretty hard to find out which transfer was scouted by whom, so there are probably more.

Last edited:

poleglass red

Why do just one, when you can do five? Now, I certainly can't comment on how good Martin Ferguson was as in his role, but Stam, RvN and Forlan were all signed on the back of his recommendations, as were Chicharito and Anderson.

It's pretty hard to find out which transfer was scouted by whom, so there are probably more.
and Stam was then sold in his prime because Fergie didn't like what was in his book.

clarkydaz

I've called him a poor mans Bryan Robson earlier in the thread, it's hardly an insult
funnily enough in this very interview Neville says Robson was rating him before he signed for us, and he rarely gave compliments. Rooney also says Keane is the best passer he ever played with. But yeah, carry on

Sir Scott McToMinay

Cheers.

Best was one of the greatest players to ever play the game, Roy wasn't even the best midfielder at the club at the time.
Roy Keane was a better midfielder than Paul Scholes and more detrimental to our team in any shape or form back then, no reason to rewrite history just to prove some bizarre point based on some hidden agenda.

Irwin99

Man that's some serious underrating of his performance. Must have stopped half of Liverpools attacks virtually by himself and won the ball back about 12/13 times. Also his passing is so crisp. I think Kante is world class but he's a level below Keano (especially passing ability)

His game against Liverpool at Anfield in 03/04 was fantastic, I REALLY wish someone could do highlights video of it as it was a masterclass. Must have made a hundred passes and didn't give the ball away once.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
funnily enough in this very interview Neville says Robson was rating him before he signed for us, and he rarely gave compliments. Rooney also says Keane is the best passer he ever played with. But yeah, carry on
My opinion of him as a player is based on seeing them both up close and personal for over a decade, and in my opinion Keane wasn't fit to lace Robbo's boots, but it's just that an opinion, though its probably shared mostly by those fortunate to have seen them both at such close quarters.

So thanks I will carry on.

redcafe_reader

My opinion of him as a player is based on seeing them both up close and personal for over a decade, and in my opinion Keane wasn't fit to lace Robbo's boots, but it's just that an opinion, though its probably shared mostly by those fortunate to have seen them both at such close quarters.

So thanks I will carry on.
Imagine thinking your "seeing them both up close" is better than Robson opinion himself and Rooney who played with him.

How "fortunate ". Carry on indeed.

Dante

Average bang
Man that's some serious underrating of his performance. Must have stopped half of Liverpools attacks virtually by himself and won the ball back about 12/13 times. Also his passing is so crisp. I think Kante is world class but he's a level below Keano (especially passing ability)

His game against Liverpool at Anfield in 03/04 was fantastic, I REALLY wish someone could do highlights video of it as it was a masterclass. Must have made a hundred passes and didn't give the ball away once.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The man who interview him should have asked what he would do in a position of manager when someone goes nuts in front of the whole team.

He would probably try to deck him. Ironically.

Jimmy_Bond

You're so passive aggressive. Or maybe that's me, because that's how I'm perceiving you.

I really have to have some self reflection time man. I'm out of control.
That's it dude. This place is just a mirror.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I would sell my testicles for a player like Keano in our midfield now. Yes I would. My wife would object, but these are my balls. I can do with them what I want. I've had enough of toddlers and spineless midfielders.

Snuffkin

My wife would object, but these are my balls. I can do with them what I want. I've had enough of toddlers and spineless midfielders.
I'm sorry to hear your wife gave birth to children with spinal problems. Maybe she should see that castration is the responsible thing to do.

Fletchageddon

The problem is they are too similar. They both should have buried the hatchet by now. Keane’s keeping his profile up which is fair enough but he absolutely has a point. Keane led by example and I think he thought the manager should have too.

A lot of SAF’s behaviour was excused by how successful he was. However he wouldn’t have been as successful without the likes of Roy Keane setting the standard in the dressing room, on the training field and on the pitch.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The problem is they are too similar. They both should have buried the hatchet by now. Keane’s keeping his profile up which is fair enough but he absolutely has a point. Keane led by example and I think he thought the manager should have too.

A lot of SAF’s behaviour was excused by how successful he was. However he wouldn’t have been as successful without the likes of Roy Keane setting the standard in the dressing room, on the training field and on the pitch.
06-13 says otherwise...

Sorry but Fergie lead by example. Part of that is making an example out of a player who was past his used by date and was trying to undermine his position as the manager. I'd say Fergie's action to the players was very much a "dont fecking think you're not replaceable". He did the same thing to Rooney and then that arse clown Moyes gave him a 5 year contract.

Fletchageddon

06-13 says otherwise...

Sorry but Fergie lead by example. Part of that is making an example out of a player who was past his used by date and was trying to undermine his position as the manager. I'd say Fergie's action to the players was very much a "dont fecking think you're not replaceable". He did the same thing to Rooney and then that arse clown Moyes gave him a 5 year contract.
A lot of weird stuff happened at United too under Fergie. William Prunier, Bebe, all the horse shite. As well as the stuff which Keane mentioned. He was also really unprofessional with the press. But that was his MO, he created a sort of mafia/gangster vibe. Where if you didn’t respect his authority he cut you out.

He did the same with referees, created this fear. It was entirely dickheadish even though it worked in our favour. Same with Keane breaking people on purpose.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Keane has earned every right to say and think whatever he likes about Manchester United and his ex boss SAF, especially when it concerns his time at the club. And as fans we should listen and empathise, even if we don’t like what he says.

The most elite performers have the highest standards and demand the same from others. Keane and SAF were identical in that regard. I doubt we’d have been as successful without Keane, the only other comparable player SAF could have signed instead was Vierra and he wasn’t able to sustain his top level for as long as Keane.

I have so many amazing memories of ecstasy during the Keane years and I’ll always be thankful to him for that. It’s a shame for both men that their relationship remains as it ended. That’s between them.

As a fan, I will always love both.

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Keane has earned every right to say and think whatever he likes about Manchester United and his ex boss SAF, especially when it concerns him during his time at the club. And as fans we should listen and empathise, even if we don’t like what he says.

I doubt we’d have been as successful without him, the only other comparable player SAF could have signed instead was Vierra and he wasn’t able to sustain his top level for as long as Keane.

The most elite performers have the highest standards and demand the same from others. Keane and SAF were identical in that regard.

I have so many amazing memories of ecstasy during the Keane years and I’ll always be thankful to him for that. It’s a shame for both men that their relationship remains as it ended. That’s between them. As a fan, I will always love both.
Eloquently put.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The bit about Walters is disrespectful and petty. Only a truly despicable person would say that in the way he did.