Ruben Loftus-Cheek

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Don't think there's a thread on him, but came on for Chelsea against Sporting midweek.

Souness/Neville/Redknapp talked about him in the studio afterwards too, looks a decent prospect with a big future, but i thought the same about Josh McEachran and look whats happened to him.

Anyone watched more of him other than the game against Sporting?

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've seen quite a few people rave about him recently. Chelsea's Dom Solanke is top of the youth CL scoring charts as well.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If you don't already know the name Ruben Loftus-Cheek, then make sure you quickly commit it to memory. It's a pretty uncommon surname so it should be easy to remember and, standing at 6ft 4in tall, you can't really miss the guy either
Loftus-Freak

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
They're not sure he's stopped growing yet either.

Can't think of any possible nickname for him......

sincher

Mind you, I suppose if he's Cheeky as well as Lofty that would make it a bit more difficult.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He's very, very promising, but then again we're gifted with some really amazing talents coming through. Him, Baker, Chalobah and Solanke could all make it to the very top, along with Ake, Christenson and a couple of others. Just need to see if they can keep their feet on the ground and not end up like Josh, signing a good contract, banging a corrie bird and letting his game slip.

sincher

Yeah yeah, they could make it to the top. It won't be with Chelsea though almost certainly.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
He's very, very promising, but then again we're gifted with some really amazing talents coming through. Him, Baker, Chalobah and Solanke could all make it to the very top, along with Ake, Christenson and a couple of others. Just need to see if they can keep their feet on the ground and not end up like Josh, signing a good contract, banging a corrie bird and letting his game slip.
You forgot Boga.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yeah yeah, they could make it to the top. It won't be with Chelsea though almost certainly.
The club has spent 10 years building its academy to a place where it can provide the best chance of youngsters making it into the first team. The coming couple of seasons will show whether all the time, money and energy that have gone into that plan will actually pay off. As Jose has said previously, if some of the youngsters we have don't make it through, he'll consider that a personal failing on his own part. He said just a few days ago that if the kids don't come through, then we may as well just shut the whole academy down. That's how seriously the club take the progression of youth nowadays, it's a massive part of the strategy for dealing with FFP heading into the future.

You forgot Boga.
Yeah, there's so many of them coming through that I always end up missing out at least one or two. Nice problem to have. :)

khoazany

The club has spent 10 years building its academy to a place where it can provide the best chance of youngsters making it into the first team. The coming couple of seasons will show whether all the time, money and energy that have gone into that plan will actually pay off. As Jose has said previously, if some of the youngsters we have don't make it through, he'll consider that a personal failing on his own part. He said just a few days ago that if the kids don't come through, then we may as well just shut the whole academy down. That's how seriously the club take the progression of youth nowadays, it's a massive part of the strategy for dealing with FFP heading into the future.

Yeah, there's so many of them coming through that I always end up missing out at least one or two. Nice problem to have. :)
Everyone know what Mou said but unless I saw it I won't believe it tbh.Arsenal and Everton both gave more minutes for kids than Chelsea in the last few days (and even Loftus-Cheek got only 10 min).It's not like Chelsea didn't have outstanding talents in the previous batches but where are they now?

Chelsea's academy has done an incredible job though nobody can't deny that.Even if no kid can make it to the first team it's not really the academy's fault.

An Irish Red

I thought Ola Aina was brilliant against us. No idea if that was his normal level or not though.

red_devil83

Was Terry the last player to come through their ranks? So 12-13 years ago?

How many have been given a proper chance since then?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He looked every classy when he came on, has a superb touch for a big lad, seemed a little bit lazy at times though.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I thought Ola Aina was brilliant against us. No idea if that was his normal level or not though.
I watch a fair but of our under 21/18s and Aina is consistantly one of our best players. He recently captained England U19s and I'm sure he'll have, at the very least, a decent premiership career. With Chelsea? Probably not. The odds are against him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Everyone know what Mou said but unless I saw it I won't believe it tbh.Arsenal and Everton both gave more minutes for kids than Chelsea in the last few days (and even Loftus-Cheek got only 10 min).It's not like Chelsea didn't have outstanding talents in the previous batches but where are they now?
The previous batches werent anywhere near as good as the current crop. As for believing Jose, obviously that's up to you but youth is a cornerstone of the clubs planning, and huge amounts of time and money have gone into this. Either it works or the club has failed at a major project. It really is that simple.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I haven't seen enough of him to know unfortunately. I really need to watch the U-19's more. Charly Musonda seems to be doing pretty well too.

khoazany

The previous batches werent anywhere near as good as the current crop. As for believing Jose, obviously that's up to you but youth is a cornerstone of the clubs planning, and huge amounts of time and money have gone into this. Either it works or the club has failed at a major project. It really is that simple.
Kaput who absolutely tored Academy teams apart.McEachran who made Chelsea debut at 16.Chalobah who I wouldn't write him off yet by any mean but couldn't get a single minute for Burnley so far (it's more about the flaw of the loan system but you have to deal with it anyway).Piazon who looks very promising but couldn't get a sniff.As for club planning,I don't see Chelsea stop buying ready-made players or top class talents from elsewhere (aka Zouma) so it's obviously doubtful for me whether your homegrown talents will have enough chances to develop and prove themselves.

Jay Da Silva is another special talent that I can see making huge waves sooner or later.

duffer

Scout
Chalobah who I wouldn't write him off yet by any mean but couldn't get a single minute for Burnley so far (it's more about the flaw of the loan system but you have to deal with it anyway)
He's played 4 times for them. He's certainly not set the world alight to be fair though. At 19, he's got time on his side.

khoazany

He's played 4 times for them. He's certainly not set the world alight to be fair though. At 19, he's got time on his side.
Which is sad because I used to predict few days ago that he would make England debut by now.That's not the first time he had a shit loan either and some if not all are due to poor selection of loaning clubs.His case always make me doubtful about the pathway for Chelsea's youngsters to your first team (and English youngsters in general).

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho slams Ruben Loftus-Cheek following 'unacceptable' show against Sydney

How bad was he? @Orc @ItsEssexRob
His actual play wasn't terrible but his effort was lacking. Was subbed on and subbed off pretty quickly which should tell you exactly how José felt about us performance.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't watch the game but I'd imagine he treated it how the rest of the team would, which isn't reslly acceptable for a young player trying to break into the team.

R'hllor

Now Mou can use this as reason why he did not give him more chance next season.

duffer

Scout
I can't remember Jose being openly critical of shite players we've had that he didn't like. I do remember him being very publicly tough on Joe Cole and Carvalho (both of whom responded positively).

I watched the game and although Loftus-Cheek didn't do well, he was no worse than Boga (the other kid that started) but he received no public criticism. I really think this is Mourinho's dickish way to motivate or test Ruben and see how he handles some pressure (he's had only praise for about 5years).

Or Jose is just a bellend who decided to single out 1 youth player from about 8 who played.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Didn't watch the game but I'd imagine he treated it how the rest of the team would, which isn't reslly acceptable for a young player trying to break into the team.
Chelsea played with some effort to be fair to them, Hazard was typically dangerous and taking players on and everyone put in a reasonable shift.

I can't remember Jose being openly critical of shite players we've had that he didn't like. I do remember him being very publicly tough on Joe Cole and Carvalho (both of whom responded positively).

I watched the game and although Loftus-Cheek didn't do well, he was no worse than Boga (the other kid that started) but he received no public criticism. I really think this is Mourinho's dickish way to motivate or test Ruben and see how he handles some pressure (he's had only praise for about 5years).

Or Jose is just a bellend who decided to single out 1 youth player from about 8 who played.
Cheek seemed to suggest his hip was sore when he was coming off, so that could potentially explain his perceived lack of effort.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Cole immediately sprung to my mind too. He produced probably his best every season the following year too.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Criticized Hazard publicly as well. Seems to have worked.

dasty

Jose would not even waste his time criticizing a player that he doesn't rate. He clearly sees something in this lad and wants him to work on his attitude.