Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure how he got dominated in midfield if he had the most touches in the game? Problem was that Wolves have absolutely no cutting edge, especially once Adama came off. They didn't even have Pedro Neto at least. Can't blame Ruben Neves for that.
Since when was touches an important stat? it means nothing if you don't effect the game.

Adam-Utd

Let's not be ridiculous here. Neves is clearly a quality player.
is he? or is a slow long short merchant who looks good on youtube.

IF he was so great why are Wolves looking to move him on, and why is nobody above them that interested? he's decent but nothing special.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Not overly sure he's the right fit for you.

The majority of Wolves fans don't want to see him go, but it's something of a right player/wrong time scenario. The way Nuno has used our midfield in the last few years has meant he's been a bit wasted. Like using a Roll Royce to deliver Amazon parcels. That's not a criticism of Nuno (God bless his soul), but more around him having a specific style of play that Neves adapted to well, but couldn't demonstrate his full range of talents in that structure, especially with the season we have endured. His tackling stats are actually comparable to Kante's this season, albeit he's at the other end of the scale in terms of mobility.

As some have said here, he would be perfectly suited to that free 6 role in Italy. I think Juve (playing under his idol Pirlo - if Pirlo stays) would be ideal for him. I think he will do very well for a top side, as long as he is paired with the right kind of midfield player. He reminds me a bit of Xabi Alonso who tended to do most of his best work when next to a more physical, ball-winning type.

Portuguese Darron Gibson is very harsh. As is Portuguese Charlie Adam that has been on here before! :lol: He's much, much better than both and his ceiling is much, much higher.

Based Adnan

Feel he's stagnated a little bit in the last few years but he's still only 24 and proven in the prem so will require no time to settle. £35M is a very good price for him.

diarm

Neves isn't the player who comes in and does a defensive job so you can set Pogba and Bruno free. He'd need a defensive engine beside him so he can play the Pirlo / Xabi Alonso role.

Would certainly improve our transitions between defensive and attack but he'd be playing alongside Fred or McTominay, not replacing them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Since when was touches an important stat? it means nothing if you don't effect the game.
Yeah but his game is pretty much about dominating control and spreading it around to attackers... he had the most touches, his passing was fine and it's been very good all season... they just have nobody to pass it to. No Adama, Jimenez, Neto. Put Scholes in that team and he won't be able to do anything.

The qualities Ruben Neves possesses is exactly what we need IMO. Unless Pogba is actually going to stay, in which case we need a true anchor man like Ndidi. But in my head Pogba will leave, so I'm looking at what can we realistically do for our double pivot. Fred to the left of Ruben Neves IMO would be a big step up right now in terms of control on the ball and defensive positioning, as well as passing from deep. Would also do Bissouma next to Fred, though that wouldn't help us as much on the ball with the passing range (but would be greater defensive help). When I look at our midfield though, all season it's been crying out for better passing range and better progressive passing. Fred can only play it short, McTominay doesn't really do anything other than safe passes which won't do anything, and so it takes an age to switch it to our wingers or advanced fullbacks.

dasty

Almost all of redcafe is shitting on him so I believe he would be a great signing. 35m sounds pretty damn good for a great midfield signing.

bosnian_red

Neves isn't the player who comes in and does a defensive job so you can set Pogba and Bruno free. He'd need a defensive engine beside him so he can play the Pirlo / Xabi Alonso role.

Would certainly improve our transitions between defensive and attack but he'd be playing alongside Fred or McTominay, not replacing them.
I think whoever we buy will realistically play next to Fred as the starter. I doubt we are doing our squad planning with Pogba as the future in the double pivot. It's about complimenting what Fred lacks. Ruben Neves ticks those boxes pretty well IMO.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I would rather get the Ruben neves of last season,

This season he has been mediocre at best. Admittedly Wolves collectively struggled this season, but even so he has one...i repeat one...assist to his name. For a supposed greater passer of the ball and a creative player that is poor.

Again, I am sure there are people going to answer with 'but Wolves didn't hvae a striker' etc etc, to put it into context Willian who made 16 apperances for Arsenal and has by and large been a failure, has 7 assists....in a team not exactly rooting up trees.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
For that price I can see him at Arsenal.
Their 'statement' signing of the summer.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

@bosnian_red

I don't disagree he's the 'type' of player we could do with, I'm just not a fan of Neves. Maybe he's just far too safe and a bit too complacent at Wolves with little competition, and at a better team he'd raise himself.

I feel he's too slow to play for a team that wants to press high, he's usually protected by a back 3 and rarely adventures too far from them.

Yes he can play the ball around under little pressure well, but that doesn't really have any great effect apart from look good on passing stats.

I'd honestly just keep the money and give the time to Garner instead, he's essentially the same player as Neves.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
@bosnian_red

I don't disagree he's the 'type' of player we could do with, I'm just not a fan of Neves. Maybe he's just far too safe and a bit too complacent at Wolves with little competition, and at a better team he'd raise himself.

I feel he's too slow to play for a team that wants to press high, he's usually protected by a back 3 and rarely adventures too far from them.

Yes he can play the ball around under little pressure well, but that doesn't really have any great effect apart from look good on passing stats.

I'd honestly just keep the money and give the time to Garner instead, he's essentially the same player as Neves.
With a higher ceiling too I’d think once he finds his feet

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
We may as well have just signed Emre Can, no?

bosnian_red

I would rather get the Ruben neves of last season,

This season he has been mediocre at best. Admittedly Wolves collectively struggled this season, but even so he has one...i repeat one...assist to his name. For a supposed greater passer of the ball and a creative player that is poor.

Again, I am sure there are people going to answer with 'but Wolves didn't hvae a striker' etc etc, to put it into context Willian who made 16 apperances for Arsenal and has by and large been a failure, has 7 assists....in a team not exactly rooting up trees.
Ruben Neves is a deep lying playmaker, Willian is a winger. You should look up some stats for how many assists the likes of Modric, Scholes, Pirlo typically got... Not many.

Gordon S

I like him, his passing is often one touch and more often than not very crisp and accurate.
i think he would enjoy playing with the quality we have in attack.

He has just turned 24 as well, 35m is a good price.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't think there would be a period in the future where we would regret not signing Neves.
He's ok but we need better than ok.

justsomebloke

is he? or is a slow long short merchant who looks good on youtube.

IF he was so great why are Wolves looking to move him on, and why is nobody above them that interested? he's decent but nothing special.
If you don't get that answered by watching him play, then look at his stats. Also, not aware Wolves is looking to move him on.

Blood Mage

I would've been over the moon for us to be linked with him last summer, but he has just been terrible this season.

justsomebloke

I don't think there would be a period in the future where we would regret not signing Neves.
He's ok but we need better than ok.
Surely a little more than that? Not my first choice, but definitely better than f.e. Bissouma or Rice.

bosnian_red

@bosnian_red

Garner is perfect long term but that type of player takes ages to come through. Wouldn't be so bad to have Ruben Neves and Garner competing for the passing type, deep playmaker spot and Fred and McTominay for the more energetic midfield spot. That passing range is so crucial IMO. It's like Jorginho for Chelsea. He's not that great in a lot of ways, but the passing ability is vital for them. Opens up the whole pitch and it'll help us loads, especially as we'd be able to get the ball to Rashford, possibly Sancho more effectively and create more 1v1's, get it up to Bruno in more advanced areas (UtdArena on Twitter put out a graphic once comparing the areas Bruno receives the ball when Pogba and Matic are in midfield compared to Fred and McTominay, and it was about 15 yards further forward on average), and so on.

Sir Alex always built his midfields on being able to handle themselves defensively but also being able to spread the ball around the pitch effectively so he could get the ball to the world class wingers we had. We'll never get the best out of our wide players if we can't pass it to them quickly or switch the play effectively. That's why I'd be delighted with Ruben Neves. He's only just turned 24 too. It just looks like it'd be a great signing for our midfield at a low price, with a worst case that he's a very good squad player where we can rotate and still provide a lot on the ball with his passing range, but best case he steps up in a better team and realizes the potential he always had from a young age.

Adam-Utd

If you don't get that answered by watching him play, then look at his stats. Also, not aware Wolves is looking to move him on.
I've watched him plenty and I don't think he's anything special at all. Plenty of players can sit in front of a back 3 and just knock it sideways or lump it over the top for Traore.

He'll need to show a hell of a lot more if he wants to play for a top 4 club.

Ekeke

I think he would have the potential to improve and be better than Fred but I'm not sure he's instantly an improvement. More a different style and a sideways move. I think he could reach Carrick's level in a similar role. But I dont think he's a great player nor has he been in the past. He's been a decent player with the occasional great pass to set a forward free and he's got a great longshot from outside the box and will score some great goals. He still needs to put it all together and prove that he should be starting at a top 5 club.

For me he's probably never been worth over £35 million so its a fair price rather than a cheap one. But if he did reach Carrick's level then £35 million will have been good business

Crashoutcassius

I actually think he is overrated but for that price in combo with his experience at this level and the fact that he fills a hole we don't have that is an easy easy buy. We could buy another more busy midfielder and have a very competitive midfield.

Reading the thread and people saying rice is better... But if we spend 70m on rice there is an opportunity cost too.

Last edited:

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
The fee seems to be relatively low and he would improve the squad definetly. Of course it also depends on the budget as a whole and which players may leave. Neves would probably not be the first choice at the moment if you had to decide on 2-3 transfers only.
But the price could make the manager rethink. Matic doesn't play forever and if you had the chance now.. United has left too many points against defensive opponents and he could certainly play a good role in those games.

AneRu

I Neves is a good passer though not very mobile but he could maybe work in a double pivot with Fred and £35m is a fee we could work with.

Blood Mage

The fee seems to be relatively low and he would improve the squad definetly. Of course it also depends on the budget as a whole and which players may leave. Neves would probably not be the first choice at the moment if you had to decide on 2-3 transfers only.
But the price could make the manager rethink. Matic doesn't play forever and if you had the chance now.. United has left too many points against defensive opponents and he could certainly play a good role in those games.
We already have good squad players for the midfield though, what we need is a top class player to come in and take it to the next level.

OleGunnar20

I think he'd be a great option at 35m (Not necessarily for us mind you, depending on OGS plans for our midfield structure / Pogbas future).

Yes he's immobile, but he has great technique and is an intelligent, versatile player. Of course given his limitations he'll only truly shine in the right system. As others have said a #6 in Serie A world appear spot on for him.

Personally I think he'd fit in well alongside Fred acting as the linkman between the lines. Better players out there of course, but in terms of value for money you cant argue with 35milley.

justsomebloke

His xg+xa is very good for a central midfielder. His progressive passing is also top-end, both in completed progressive distance and number of completed progressive passes played. Not bad in shot-creating actions, good number of presses/90, excellent pressing success rate. High-end in tackles+ interceptions/90. That looks like a good all-round player to me.

BFernandes

His agent is Mendes who basically supplies Wolves with all their players. If he has decided its time for Neves to move on, there's not much Wolves can do to stop him. That's why the price being quoted is quite reasonable as well. Pep had name checked him as someone they were interested in 18 months ago but the price quoted then was too much, maybe they want him as a replacement for Fernandinho. Personally, I think he's more suited to the pace of La Liga, though he would be decent with someone like a prime Kante next to him even in the PL.
Butterbean would be decent with prime Kante next to him.

bosnian_red

I think he would have the potential to improve and be better than Fred but I'm not sure he's instantly an improvement. More a different style and a sideways move. I think he could reach Carrick's level in a similar role. But I dont think he's a great player nor has he been in the past. He's been a decent player with the occasional great pass to set a forward free and he's got a great longshot from outside the box and will score some great goals. He still needs to put it all together and prove that he should be starting at a top 5 club.

For me he's probably never been worth over £35 million so its a fair price rather than a cheap one. But if he did reach Carrick's level then £35 million will have been good business
Think it's more as a partner to Fred.

Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Fred Neves
Shaw Torres Maguire Wan Bissaka
DDG​

Would bring far more on the ball than McTominay, and he's better defensively as well, but primarily would finally give us a good passing range in midfield which we've been desperate for.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ruben Neves is a deep lying playmaker, Willian is a winger. You should look up some stats for how many assists the likes of Modric, Scholes, Pirlo typically got... Not many.
Or James Ward Prowse maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.