Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Decent player, decent price. Seems to have stagnated a bit at Wolves but is still only 24. Might show a bit more life in new surroundings but not particularly convinced he's up to it at the highest level. I can see why we'd be interested in a third-choice kinda way though. Even if he's not a massive improvement on what we have, he's a different type of player so would bring different options to the team. Not a signing to be thrilled by, mind.

Last edited:

SATA

I've always rated Neves, but feel that he has stagnated a bit at Wolves and definitely could do with a new challenge.
From what I hear, Bruno is pushing for this deal to happen, and I'd say that this seems more likely to happen than Camavinga, Niguez or Rice
Bruno is pushing for this deal? He's player-manager now? :eek:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He can pass the ball a bit but he really lacks the dynamism to be truly effective. Marginal upgrade on Xhaka is about right — who himself is a pretty eh midfielder.

Nick7

I like him, but I think he's a little slow and immobile for what we need.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He can pass the ball a bit but he really lacks the dynamism to be truly effective. Marginal upgrade on Xhaka is about right — who himself is a pretty eh midfielder.
He's no upgrade on Xhaka, Xhaka at least has days when he's unplayable, Neves is just bleh.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bruno is pushing for this deal? He's player-manager now? :eek:
Agent Pogba, Agent Rashford, Agent Zlatan, blah blah blah.....You don't think players and management have conversations about other players..?

Nick7

That's exactly what we need. A calm head who's competent on the ball. Fred is quick and mobile.
Yeah if you reduce it down to the basics, sure. but that's reductive. Neves doesn't bring anything that outweighs any negatives he also brings. Might as well stick a bid in for Xhaka if we just need someone that's competent on the ball. He'd be 20m cheaper too.

vodrake

He's a worse Xhaka. Living off a youtube highlight reel of 30 yard screamers and a couple of nice long passes

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah if you reduce it down to the basics, sure. but that's reductive. Neves doesn't bring anything that outweighs any negatives he also brings. Might as well stick a bid in for Xhaka if we just need someone that's competent on the ball. He'd be 20m cheaper too.
Well on the other hand where are we going to find this quick, mobile, composed, technically pure midfielder? Neves’s price tag has to make him appealing given he does bring something different.

babsk

I really think pairing him with an energetic, mobile ball-winner like Fred could be a great double pivot. Fred pressing and winning the ball back and Neves recycling possession and creating from deep.

largelyworried

Looked promising in the Championship when he hit in a few decent bangers during a promotion season, but has looked mid-table standard in the Prem. No better than Fred or McT in my opinion. A good player if you're Wolves, but would be a waste of money for us.

Nick7

He’d make Schneiderlin look dynamic - he looked slow in Nuno’s 16 men behind the ball system - imagine what he’d look like here ffs :lol:
I was just thinking it would be like Schneiderlin. As I said, I like him and in the right team and system he can be great. Not in our system though.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He has a very high long pass completion rate so will help us get the ball to our most dangerous players quickly. We are very bad at trying to build play through the pitch so a more direct approach might help.

Currently unless Pogba comes deep, we have McFred who can't pass more than 15 yards so we find it hard to move defences around and get our best players in one v ones.

His athleticism to cover gaps when lose it would be a worry.

Overall I think there are very few players that can tick all the boxes so at the reasonable fee I think he could be an improvement.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's no upgrade on Xhaka, Xhaka at least has days when he's unplayable, Neves is just bleh.
Fair, I think I was being a little too harsh on Xhaka there. Neves has never dropped games like Xhaka did against France, for instance.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He better not be our only midfield signing if Pogba goes.

Matthew84!

Well I'm still undecided tbh, never to sure if the rumours are true but his range of passing could come in handy, especially against teams that just sit back and we're gonna have 85% of the ball.
I think against better teams he'd probably get found out on his lack of pace.

Alfie092

For £35m, providing we also sign another midfielder and not just Neves, I would be up for this.

Main issue is he isn't as mobile and quick as I would like but neither was Carrick and look how good he was for us? I know you could say football has evolved hence why you see more and more players in Neves' position who are more mobile and quicker than he is but I personally think if played in the right position and with the right players around him it could work well.

He has played often as both a 6 and a 8 for Wolves and from what I've seen of him, appears to be more effective as an 8 where he is slightly closer to goal and more involved in the game with more touches but I think in this United team we would want him to be our number 6 and our 8 should be Pogba if he stays and if he goes a player like Saul (who is more mobile, quicker and combative) alongside Neves may work really well and help us control games that little bit more.

Gandalf

If we sign Neves and players like him then we are competing with Arsenal and Tottenham for the next 10 years not City and Chelsea. He does not improve us or move the needle in any way, we are some way into the rebuild and should not be wasting time on players who do not significantly improve what we already have otherwise we are standing still and will be overtaken.

Nick7

If we sign Neves and players like him then we are competing with Arsenal and Tottenham for the next 10 years not City and Chelsea. He does not improve us or move the needle in any way, we are some way into the rebuild and should not be wasting time on players who do not significantly improve what we already have otherwise we are standing still and will be overtaken.
alright, this is a bit much considering we're signing Sancho and may sign Varane this summer :lol:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He's definitely similar to Xhaka but I think a bit better. He's a much better tackler and presser of the ball, for one thing. Both the eye test and statistics bear that out. He also contributes some in the final third by banging in a few from range and playing the final ball on occasion, which Xhaka really doesn't do whatsoever.

He may not be that dynamic but neither are Jorginho or Rodri and they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

In the end, however, I think there is some significant upside and downside risk with Neves, in that Wolves have been so defensive and done so little with the ball over the last few years. On a more possession based team, he could end up being found out a bit. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he kicked on and elevated his game in that kind of setup, a he showed flashes of a different level when Wolves were in the Championship and played more expansively.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If we sign Neves and players like him then we are competing with Arsenal and Tottenham for the next 10 years not City and Chelsea.
That seems overly dramatic given that players very similar to Neves are currently integral to the midfields of both City and Chelsea.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Either we're putting out calls in the wake of a potential Pogba exit or Arsenal are being played to cough up more.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s getting a bit underrated on here and that’s probably because he’s stagnated slightly and is no longer as glamorous as he once was but he’s still 24 and has plenty of room to improve. It’s important to note that he has also played for years in an incredibly negative team where they don’t offer much movement. I think he could be a really smart acquisition for us at the right price.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That’s nonsense. Chelsea have some pretty average midfielders and have still seen success. Neves is a decent player.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This still fills me with a huge amount of 'meh' :(
I know what you mean, it doesnt sound great, but I think it has potential. Fred breaking up play and doing his usual fred schizz, Neves sitting and getting the ball forward to rashy/sancho/greenwood and El Matador. He could be an important cog. He has stagnated at wolves, but they hardly played the most scintillating attacking football, with a little more freedom to express Im hopeful.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Good teams are the sum of their parts. If he could sit in front of our defence (which if Varane is signed would be a pretty fecking formidable backline) and allow our attacking players to do their sh*t then he's an upgrade. Matic is the only person we have that can do that job alone, Fred or McT aren't good enough individually. Not saying I'm a huge fan of signing Neves, but it wouldn't be as big an error as you make out.

He’s getting a bit underrated on here and that’s probably because he’s stagnated slightly and is no longer as glamorous as he once was but he’s still 24 and has plenty of room to improve. It’s important to note that he has also played for years in an incredibly negative team where they don’t offer much movement. I think he could be a really smart acquisition for us at the right price.
Agreed. He's a good player.

jackal&hyde

That's what was said about Carrick before we got him. Not all DMs are the dynamic terrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.