Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomebloke

No I mean this thread is 7 pages long based on one tweet and not one thing linking to us
Oh. Yeah, and there hasn't really been anything since that, has there. But at least now it's been thoroughly discussed if it should ever move back on the radar. :)

manuchamp88

Neves looks like he could realistically be available whereas with Saul I have never been convinced he wants to leave
Saúl may be forced to if he wants regular 1st action. Either way, do we need a goalscoring midfielder or a visionary/passing midfielder? I'd say the latter.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's been on the bench a fair few times for Wolves this season so stock certainly not as high as it was between 2018/20.

Seems Wolves need to sell a key player to get in more funds as owners don't want to put in more currently so him or Adama will leave but they won't get close to the fees for either 18 months ago.

Oranges038

Never kicked on since his early promise, has had it too easy at Wolves, doesn't look like it's a challenging enough environment for him. Or maybe he just doesn't have the drive to kick on. Doubt he's good enough.

Either way, do we need a goalscoring midfielder or a visionary/passing midfielder? I'd say the latter.
Definitely someone who has the ability to pick a pass and dictate the play. Fred is nowhere near good enough and McT is just a workhorse. Neither can pass the ball to the standard required. Will not win a major trophy with these two in midfield.

manuchamp88

Never kicked on since his early promise, has had it too easy at Wolves, doesn't look like it's a challenging enough environment for him. Or maybe he just doesn't have the drive to kick on. Doubt he's good enough.

Definitely someone who has the ability to pick a pass and dictate the play. Fred is nowhere near good enough and McT is just a workhorse. Neither can pass the ball to the standard required. Will not win a major trophy with these two in midfield.
Who do you suggest? (As a realistic option).

diarm

Watching Chelsea last night, and reading that Jorginho wants to leave, it struck me that Neves could do very well there.

With Kante doing the legwork and Mount in the more attacking role, Neves could thrive as that deeper lying playmaker.

manuchamp88

Honeslty there aren't that many of these around, I'd be inclined to maybe look at Locatelli as an option.
Nimble feet, great tackler, can ping a ball - looks great (from the Youtube video I've just watched, anyway). But as he's Italian, he'll probably go to Juve.

Oranges038

Nimble feet, great tackler, can ping a ball - looks great (from the Youtube video I've just watched, anyway). But as he's Italian, he'll probably go to Juve.
Yeap, that is usually what happens.

There really is so few of them around now, Neves is ok at spraying the ball around, but he's not very mobile, not very quick and he would need a player beside him to cover all of that. Don't think you can carry a guy like that at the top level anymore, unless he reaches Pirlo or Scholes levels of control over the game.

I just think because 3 is now the common number in there. Midfielders are so pigeon holed into the three roles. The defensive shield role, the sort of box to box running around hustler role and the attacking midfielder role.

Fred just runs around and tackles but can't pass, McT just runs around and hustles but isn't great at tackling or passing and Bruno is great in the attacking areas at scoring and creating goals but is always looking for a killer ball and in turn his ball retention is quite poor.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I want/like a midfielder like Robson or Keane that can do everything in there pass, tackle and get forward not just be a defensive shield or an attacking outlet.

manuchamp88

Yeap, that is usually what happens.

There really is so few of them around now, Neves is ok at spraying the ball around, but he's not very mobile, not very quick and he would need a player beside him to cover all of that. Don't think you can carry a guy like that at the top level anymore, unless he reaches Pirlo or Scholes levels of control over the game.

I just think because 3 is now the common number in there. Midfielders are so pigeon holed into the three roles. The defensive shield role, the sort of box to box running around hustler role and the attacking midfielder role.

Fred just runs around and tackles but can't pass, McT just runs around and hustles but isn't great at tackling or passing and Bruno is great in the attacking areas at scoring and creating goals but is always looking for a killer ball and in turn his ball retention is quite poor.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I want/like a midfielder like Robson or Keane that can do everything in there pass, tackle and get forward not just be a defensive shield or an attacking outlet.
I know what you mean. Would love the next Keano (Robson was before my time), but as you say, those sort of players are a rarity. It may come down a choice of best of the rest (Neves) vs. sticking with Scott & Fred. But hey, maybe the Glazers will decide they're desperate for fan-approval and so will approval a huge deal for someone like Rice, M.Llorente, etc.. Can't see it though.

SAFMUTD

Hasnt he regressed after that wonder season? Pretty much like Adama Traore.

He's got a goal in him but overall I don't think he's good enough to be starting games for us and we have enough squad quality players. We need a nailed starter for a change.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hasnt he regressed after that wonder season? Pretty much like Adama Traore.

He's got a goal in him but overall I don't think he's good enough to be starting games for us and we have enough squad quality players. We need a nailed starter for a change.
Very strange player; seems to have a stamina problem or something as he rarely does 90 minutes. Maybe he built himself up too much

Alfie092

Anything concrete happening with this one? I do like Neves but only because of his passing ability and the occasional ability to smack one in from 25 years like he did against us a few seasons back. However, from what I have seen of him, he doesn't seem mobile or quick enough for the modern day midfield and worried he would get exposed.

If he ended up being a master dictator of games, because let's be honest since Carrick at his prime we haven't had a midfielder who can control games and if he could do even 70% of what Carrick did and had him alongside maybe a more mobile defensive midfielder who just breaks up play and keeps it simple when he wins the ball, it may work.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Think it was the Daily Mirror yesterday that linked us with trying to beat Arsenal to getting him. First actual link I’ve seen this summer to us

SATA

Did people also diss Jota when he moved to the dippers? Turns out Jota was very good for them there. I don't know much about Neves myself but i would trust the club to get this right. Could be a backup option to Camavinga and yeah, i would say it's very underwhelming if this happens and not the both of them

diarm

I like Neves. He's only 24 and in the right midfield he could be excellent.

Could only see it happening if Pogba is leaving though.

mu4c_20le

Please no. Like Steve carrell in the office no. He's an average DM with a decent shot. Marginal upgrade on Xhaka. Probably made for the gunners so we shouldn't ruin that.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've always rated Neves, but feel that he has stagnated a bit at Wolves and definitely could do with a new challenge.
From what I hear, Bruno is pushing for this deal to happen, and I'd say that this seems more likely to happen than Camavinga, Niguez or Rice

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The club are definitely working on bringing in a midfield player. A couple years ago I would have been all for this signing but not sure he has progressed as a player in the time since then, but maybe a move to a big club is what he needs? Also our best midfield player is Portuguese so maybe they would compliment each other well. I think at £35m he would be worth signing, if none of the other apparent targets are realistic this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.