Rugby League 2023

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Late this year because no-one gives a shit (seemingly including me) but Wigan are having a very patchy season. We've somehow snuck past Salford at home this evening but we look devoid of ideas in attack until Peet shuffles the halves and fullback about and gets us going. It's going to be Saints five in a row or Warrington's first league win since the Black Death, God help us all!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Late this year because no-one gives a shit (seemingly including me) but Wigan are having a very patchy season. We've somehow snuck past Salford at home this evening but we look devoid of ideas in attack until Peet shuffles the halves and fullback about and gets us going. It's going to be Saints five in a row or Warrington's first league win since the Black Death, God help us all!
Such a fun game though. Really enjoying the season

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Widnes midtable in the Championship. Bar the 1895 Cup final run in 2019 (went to Wembley to watch us lose) there's not been much to cheer about the last few years or so.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hull FC, 5 games played, points difference of -80. I don’t follow league much being an ardent union man….but feck me I don’t find FC an inspiring watch. We don’t do the east end of the M62 proud

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Widnes midtable in the Championship. Bar the 1895 Cup final run in 2019 (went to Wembley to watch us lose) there's not been much to cheer about the last few years or so.

You live around there ? I have been thinking of going to one of the games as the stadium isn’t too far from me

Northstand

Yes, great start for Warrington after a dire showing last season. Both Saints and Wigan have been a bit patchy so far and have won a couple each by the skin of their teeth. Still expect both to get back on track though.

Crowds are looking a bit sparse these days though, apart from the very high profile games.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Such a fun game though. Really enjoying the season
You're a good side with a very decent and loud away following, given the context of poor crowds all over the place. I found it a frustrating watch as I could see us struggling badly with ball in hand, but as a game it's fair to say it ebbed and flowed pretty well.

Yes, great start for Warrington after a dire showing last season. Both Saints and Wigan have been a bit patchy so far and have won a couple each by the skin of their teeth. Still expect both to get back on track though.

Crowds are looking a bit sparse these days though, apart from the very high profile games.
I'm hoping they've got the second coming of Cummingham but I I honestly think we're short all across the forwards, the jury's out on the new 3/4s we've brought in and the starting 6 and 7 are misfiring (apart from that we're ok :lol:). When we were accused of being a two-man team last year I found it unfair as I could see a quality foil being provided by the other 11 lads, but this season we are literally waiting for French or Field (usually the former) pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Warrington are going annoying well, I hope they get tested soon because they're looking ominous.

Northstand

Cracking game between Wigan and Saints, and a well-deserved win for the home side, despite being without a few regulars today. Still expect Saints to click into gear but their game was definitely sub-par again today.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Cracking game between Wigan and Saints, and a well-deserved win for the home side, despite being without a few regulars today. Still expect Saints to click into gear but their game was definitely sub-par again today.
I thought both teams struggled in attack and the game became bogged down in the middle. Tough arm wrestles can still be engaging in their own way but I'd have liked a few more fireworks. That said we stood up well and limited them to a ten minute spell. I'm made up with the win but I hope there's more to come from us and I certainly expect more from them as the season goes on.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Coverage on sky does my head in. Biggest game of the season and they can’t do a tackles count graphic

Northstand

What a game between Catalans and Warrington. Idiotic red card for Dudson, which I was sure was going to cost us the points. Brilliant response late on, but then a harshly disallowed Catalans try which could have taken the game to a golden point. Wire definitely got lucky there.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
No idea how Wigan’s first try was allowed tonight while that one by Warrington at the end wasn’t

Ollie Derbyshire

What did you think was wrong with the Wigan 1st try?
warrington lad knocked on at the end, could see the shadow on the ball….sort off haha

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What did you think was wrong with the Wigan 1st try?
warrington lad knocked on at the end, could see the shadow on the ball….sort off haha
I meant the Wigan second try sorry. I think both were dodgy and so it’s a bit shit that one was allowed but other one wasn’t

Northstand

I meant the Wigan second try sorry. I think both were dodgy and so it’s a bit shit that one was allowed but other one wasn’t
Completely agree, and actually the first Wigan try looked like a blatant forward pass too. Wigan deserved to win on the balance of play but the decisions went their way tonight.

Bondi77

Sharks had a big win over the Roosters last night...could be our year.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good win yesterday. I agree we had the rub of the green on the decisions but I've heard from some Wire mates that they should have had three extra tries and we should have had none whatsoever, so I'm taking the moaning with a pinch of salt to be honest :lol:

Wire were missing props and it showed, I think you'll be competing for trophies this year beyond doubt.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sharks had a big win over the Roosters last night...could be our year.
Maybe although I don't see it. Then again when so many teams' form is all over the place, e.g. Warriors in 3rd, who knows?

Panthers might just get up again despite losing players and the Broncos are looking strong.

Bondi77

Maybe although I don't see it. Then again when so many teams' form is all over the place, e.g. Warriors in 3rd, who knows?

Panthers might just get up again despite losing players and the Broncos are looking strong.
Anything is possible when you have a salary cap to even the talent out or at least try to over the competition.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What a shambolic bottlejob that was against 12-man Leeds. Peet has got plenty to sort out.

Northstand

Warrington’s reward for winning at Catalans in the challenge cup is another away tie at Wigan. Definitely doing it the hard way.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yesterday I had the enticing choice of watching United huffing and puffing to no end against City or flicking over to watch Wigan get an absolute bumming off Catalan. We have the capability to dig in and be a match for anybody in the league but equally we have an utter stinker in us. I'm not happy with our 1, 6, 7 and 9 combinations at present and we once again look light in the pack (Cooper out for the season doesn't help but we need even more).

I think we're too patchy this year to put together a run of results in the playoffs, unless we improve considerably in both attack and defence.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I was drifting in and out of matches over magic weekend.

Catalan are looking good. To call Leeds inconsistent understates it, they're inconsistent with a side order of inconsistent, not just from week to week but within a single game. Saint Helens look like they've finally woken up. Wakefield are terrible.

I have no idea what happened to Leigh, but they seem to have put together a remarkably good team for a newly promoted side - someone know what they were doing on the coaching and recruitment there.

Robindinho

Yesterday I had the enticing choice of watching United huffing and puffing to no end against City or flicking over to watch Wigan get an absolute bumming off Catalan. We have the capability to dig in and be a match for anybody in the league but equally we have an utter stinker in us. I'm not happy with our 1, 6, 7 and 9 combinations at present and we once again look light in the pack (Cooper out for the season doesn't help but we need even more).

I think we're too patchy this year to put together a run of results in the playoffs, unless we improve considerably in both attack and defence.
Not looking forward to Saints on Friday if we play anything like that :nervous:.

We don't have the biggest pack anyway but when you take out Cooper, Havard, Isa, KPP, Singleton, it's no wonder we struggle for go forward.

Badly missing Leuluai's leadership and defence... Not really many options to change the combinations, but I'd definitely drop Powell - always thought he's far too slow from dummy half.

Not expecting much either - too reliant on hoping French/Field produce some magic.

DanielofLeyland

It will be interesting if Hull KR win today at Catalans. There is nothing in it with the Top 7. Hopefully that will continue through the season. I don't expect Wigan to win this year - poor coaching IMO. However, it would be great if we got a final with two teams who haven't been there before.

Just a shame the game is shambolic internationally because the domestic game is in quite a good place.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I support Saints but the ref completely ruined this quarterfinal by sending off a player after HT whistle for arguing with him

Ollie Derbyshire

We (Wigan) would have gone through without the red card but will be good to see a different team win the cup.