Rugby League Super League 2010

Penny on big wages, surprising. Did you offer him a new deal after he broke onto the scene then?

WireRed

Penny on big wages, surprising. Did you offer him a new deal after he broke onto the scene then?
Aye, when he blitzed the competition and made the dream team, Cullen and the board offered him a pretty big whack to keep him away from other clubs.

His deal ran until 2011 but we've released him a year early. I'm not sure if Wakefield have payed a fee or not, but we've got his huge salary off the books which gives us some leeway to add someone if we wish.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
Very surprised with last nights result but it just goes to show that the competition thesedays is tough. I've more than a few Wire fans on my facebook that were pretty certain of a win last night and had done nothing but talk about how they were coming to KR next week to smash this unbeaten record - It's hard not to laugh at them right now!

For me i'm not really sure how to feel about the fact we'll now no doubt pick Hudds in the club call. Yes on paper it's the easier route to the final but it's going to be a big occasion being the last game at the old ground and part of me would have loved a big derby to send her off with.

Wire fans must though be glad that Mathers is finally off the books - that man is a liability and answerable it would seem to at least 6 points every week! Hodgson had a great game for the Giants last night too, who is of course Mathers replacement but you've got to wonder how long he's got left in him!

WireRed

Very surprised with last nights result but it just goes to show that the competition thesedays is tough. I've more than a few Wire fans on my facebook that were pretty certain of a win last night and had done nothing but talk about how they were coming to KR next week to smash this unbeaten record - It's hard not to laugh at them right now!

For me i'm not really sure how to feel about the fact we'll now no doubt pick Hudds in the club call. Yes on paper it's the easier route to the final but it's going to be a big occasion being the last game at the old ground and part of me would have loved a big derby to send her off with.

Wire fans must though be glad that Mathers is finally off the books - that man is a liability and answerable it would seem to at least 6 points every week! Hodgson had a great game for the Giants last night too, who is of course Mathers replacement but you've got to wonder how long he's got left in him!
I for one was very nervous about last night. I was convinced that if we got through we'd win at KR but I was not so convinced of us having the chance to. The Giants are a big team, with ruck speed and a savvy kicking game, pretty much the last team you'd want to play in monsoon conditions.

As for Mathers, he's had a very good season and was awesome at Wembley but your right, he's an accident waiting to happen and Hodgson without doubt is more solid aswell as creative and a goal kicker of quality aswell. I wish him well though, he's been good servant for the club and I would have been happy if he'd took the extension as back up for Brett but not to be.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
I for one was very nervous about last night. I was convinced that if we got through we'd win at KR but I was not so convinced of us having the chance to. The Giants are a big team, with ruck speed and a savvy kicking game, pretty much the last team you'd want to play in monsoon conditions.

As for Mathers, he's had a very good season and was awesome at Wembley but your right, he's an accident waiting to happen and Hodgson without doubt is more solid aswell as creative and a goal kicker of quality aswell. I wish him well though, he's been good servant for the club and I would have been happy if he'd took the extension as back up for Brett but not to be.
Danny Brough looked quality last night I thought and on a couple of occasions opened you up down the middle. He's the kind of player that could and maybe should have had a chance at a bigger club but for one reason or another hasn't had the chance. Some of his kicking too was spot on, and the two one pointers were pretty decent also.

If we play Hudds then we'll need to be wary of him because everything does seem to stem from him.

I was disappointed though that Sky didn't show more of the fight! I wanted to see who paul Wood waded into, he looked to be swinging alright!

kristinson

Gutted, but rather than be short sighted and say we were poor, I'm going to give Huddersfield the credit their first half performance deserves. Superb stuff, just penned us in our own half for 40 minutes with their unbreakable defence and infuriatingly perfect kicking game.

Although gutted our season is over, I'm proud of the effort and quality shown in the second half especially in those shocking conditions.

We've collected 1 of the 2 trophies available for the second season in a row, and I for one am extremely proud and delighted by that improvement, I'd have not believed it possible 2-3 years ago. We'll learn from the wet weather schooling we've had in the last 2 weeks and improve next season.

Thanks to Tony and the boys for a cracking season and thank you and farewell to Richie and Vinnie.

Saints will go on to win it from here, I fancied us to beat them if we got through tonight but not to be. I think they'll beat Hudds next week and Wigan at OT.
This is a top post and comes from a real clubsman, but with that in mind Wirered, what did you think of the half time booing? well deserved? or a cnutish thing to do?

When I heard it I couldn't help but think about your pop at the Wigan fans in an earlier post.

Well, no surprise there

Saints pick Huddersfield

I expect to see Saints v Wigan at OT, as Saints will have enjoyed the week off...and Leeds will be without McGuire. But hey, I think I've got most of my predictions wrong in the play-offs

WireRed

This is a top post and comes from a real clubsman, but with that in mind Wirered, what did you think of the half time booing? well deserved? or a cnutish thing to do?

When I heard it I couldn't help but think about your pop at the Wigan fans in an earlier post.
Idiotic thing to do by the moronic minority. Emotion just gets the better of some folk.

A lot of Wire supporters stayed behind after the game to applaud the effort and show appreciation for the fine season we've had. So whilst the booing was wrong and unneccesary, I think it was corrected at the end of the game.

Northstand

Gutted, but rather than be short sighted and say we were poor, I'm going to give Huddersfield the credit their first half performance deserves. Superb stuff, just penned us in our own half for 40 minutes with their unbreakable defence and infuriatingly perfect kicking game.

Although gutted our season is over, I'm proud of the effort and quality shown in the second half especially in those shocking conditions.

We've collected 1 of the 2 trophies available for the second season in a row, and I for one am extremely proud and delighted by that improvement, I'd have not believed it possible 2-3 years ago. We'll learn from the wet weather schooling we've had in the last 2 weeks and improve next season.

Thanks to Tony and the boys for a cracking season and thank you and farewell to Richie and Vinnie.

Saints will go on to win it from here, I fancied us to beat them if we got through tonight but not to be. I think they'll beat Hudds next week and Wigan at OT.
Cracking post mate, and totally agree.

Fancy Wigan to go on and win it, though.

Just a question to the Warrington fans, is there any reason why Myler fell out of favour towards the end, bad form, something else?

WireRed

Just a question to the Warrington fans, is there any reason why Myler fell out of favour towards the end, bad form, something else?
Your guess is as good as ours. He was coming along nicely and was a great asset with his support play until he got frozen out.

The party line is "he was getting picked on in defence" but I personally thought he was fantastic for a wiry scrum-half in that department, certainly better than most 6 or 7's at other clubs.

I hope what's happened doesn't affect him negatively because he's got the potential to be our answer to McGuire with his support and finishing.

He needs to find a kicking/organising game and take on the line a bit more to become an automatic pick IMO. Although I think he's good enough to be our 7 as it stands.

The downside to Smith turning elsewhere for the back end of the season was taking Monaghan away from 9. He's a great player but he just doesn't cut it in the halves. He was as quiet as a mouse as soon as we took him away from 9.

WireRed

Tony Smith has confirmed that we'll not be adding any more players to the squad in terms of signings but that we'll be blooding a lot more young talent.

I'm happy to see that because we've some very talented young players at Wire, McCarthy, Mitchell, Ben Evans, Rhys Evans, Williams, Harvey to name but a few have bright futures and I'm glad they'll get their chance at Wire.

Smith gave the likes of Burrow, McGuire, Diskin, Bailey and co at Leeds their chance and left Leeds with a solid foundation for the future. I'd like to think he'll leave a similar lasting legacy once he's done here.

Well Wigan have shown this season that young talent can be the way forward and obviously they hope to add quality overseas additions to this

WireRed

Saints do my fecking head in!

How many get out of jail cards do they have? How many more Cunningham fairytales have they got up their sleeve? And how many of their fans are just fecking Scouse morons who know how to bully refs into pinging the opponents?

I don't care if this makes me bitter, there is only so much injustice and undeserved success(for the inbreds of St.Helens) a man can witness without reaching the end of his tether :mad:

Unlucky Giants, shame the ref decided to even up the penalty count on the crowds say so :rolleyes:

WireRed

Another bugbear of mine is how few teams outside the top 2 reach OT. Leeds winning tomorrow would make them only the 3rd team since the play-offs began to do it. That is far too low a ratio for my liking, especially in light of the NRL being more unpredictable in the finals series.

Parramatta made it from 8th last year, Roosters have made it from 5th this year, Tigers won it from 5th in 2005 etc. Hardly happens over here. Is the system too kind to the higher placed teams? are the lower ranked teams lacking bottle or energy? Whatever it is, it needs addressing because the play-offs are becoming predictable at the moment.

Moz

How many get out of jail cards do they have? How many more Cunningham fairytales have they got up their sleeve? And how many of their fans are just fecking Scouse morons who know how to bully refs into pinging the opponents?

I don't care if this makes me bitter, there is only so much injustice and undeserved success(for the inbreds of St.Helens) a man can witness without reaching the end of his tether :mad:

Unlucky Giants, shame the ref decided to even up the penalty count on the crowds say so :rolleyes:
:lol:

Suck my balls WireRed you bitter bastard! :lol:

WireRed

:lol:

Suck my balls WireRed you bitter bastard! :lol:
At least we don't sing songs about St.Helens when we're winning the Challenge Cup. We are out the play-offs and Saints are off to OT yet still the only thing the popular side can think about is "Wanky Warrington" :lol:

Love it, obsessed much?

jgraham

Company man, hitched.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, i've always had you down as a decent rugby poster but you've really gone and let yourself down there.

get out of jail? is that what you call the past 14 years or so since Super league began?

Bitter doesn't do this justice i'm afraid.

And as for undeserved success?

WireRed

Seriously, i've always had you down as a decent rugby poster but you've really gone and let yourself down there.

get out of jail? is that what you call the past 14 years or so since Super league began?
Bitter doesn't do this justice i'm afraid.

And as for undeserved success?

No, I call that great consistency and a credit to the teams St.Helens have had.

My beef is mainly with the Saints supporters, booing, hissing, cheering injuries to opposition, screaming "FOOOORWAAARRD" for 80 minutes. I know home fans are supposed to try and influence refs but it's becoming a joke now. It's none stop, I had to hit the mute in the second half because it was so constant and most of it for nothing at all.

The undeserved success comment was aimed at the Saints fans rather than Saints players and coaches from now and years gone by.

And yes, I'm bitter when it comes to Saints(who wouldn't be with all those defeats to chew on?). But I find a lot of Saints fans have got their knickers in a twist about the Wire over the last couple of years as shown by the now weekly sing song about "wanky, wanky, wanky, wanky, Warrington".

We have gone from a joke that nobody thought about to the most hated team in SL(certainly among the Saints, Salford, Wigan, and Widnes fans I know) and the object of our rivals ire when we ain't even playing.

I'm loving it :D

Weren't they saying on the commentary how there was a terrace right under their gantry, so the appealing from the fans probably does come across louder, but I doubt it's significantly worse than any other sets of fans

I thought Saints were done, and then Cunningham came on and just took control, is there some family reason he's retiring, as it's still clear he can cut it for Saints

kristinson

get in get right in there!!!!! flights booked, final tickets booked, Old Trafford here we come!

It's gonna be a belter!

WireRed

Should be interesting next week...the final I predicted may I add ;)

Wigan's defence was top notch tonight and they just did a job on Leeds, Saints have ground wins out and have the big emotional baggage of sending Cunningham off on a high...tough one to call but I'll stick with Saints to come through and give KC the fairytale send-off.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Wigan wanted it more than us the longer the game went on...we can't be greedy though, 3 titles is in a row is OK...and it's been a long wait for Wigan.

Come on Saints!

Should be interesting next week...the final I predicted may I add ;)

Wigan's defence was top notch tonight and they just did a job on Leeds, Saints have ground wins out and have the big emotional baggage of sending Cunningham off on a high...tough one to call but I'll stick with Saints to come through and give KC the fairytale send-off.
Reminded me of the Challenge Cup final, Leeds just had no answer for a defence at the very top of its game, to think the only points they scored were from a decidedly dodgy decision by the video ref

Should be a great game next week

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
It looks and sounds very much like next weekends game will be overshadowed by a very sad event, i'm led to believe Terry Newton has committed suicide.

I was never a fan of his but this is shocking and tragic news.

RIP Terry Newton

It looks and sounds very much like next weekends game will be overshadowed by a very sad event, i'm led to believe Terry Newton has committed suicide.

RIP Terry Newton
That is sad, very sad indeed.

WireRed

RIP Terry Newton
Shocking news. He was on SL Supermen not 2-3 weeks ago.

RIP :(

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds

RIP Terry Newton
Just read that....shocking news. So sad. What a waste.

WireRed

No surprises really, awards are Wigan dominated

Richards is named Man of Steel
Sam Tomkins - Young Player of the Year
Maguire - Coach of the Year

BBC Sport - Rugby League - Wigan's Pat Richards named 2010 Man of Steel
First two fair enough, but come on.

What does Tony Smith have to do to get acknowledgement? Win the CC 8 times on the bounce like Wigan? Maguire has done a very good job but he's not actually won anything yet unlike Smith who's slung 2 CC's in the cabinet of a club that had previously gone without a pot for 35 years.

Well done to Pat and Sam though, they are worthy winners.

kristinson

Great news for Pat and Sam but I have to agree that Tony Smith Deserves it more or even Nathan Brown.

Perhaps this weekend Maguire might justify it.

First two fair enough, but come on.

What does Tony Smith have to do to get acknowledgement? Win the CC 8 times on the bounce like Wigan? Maguire has done a very good job but he's not actually won anything yet unlike Smith who's slung 2 CC's in the cabinet of a club that had previously gone without a pot for 35 years.

Well done to Pat and Sam though, they are worthy winners.
Wigan also won team of the year.

I think a case can be made for Maguire, as there's certainly been a huge improvement in Wigan, makes you wonder why Noble wasn't able to do it, he's a shout as well, did well for Crusaders

But agree, Smith has had a good season, could easily have been one of him, Maguire or Noble for my money

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Noble would have been my pick for coach of the year - to take a team that at the turn of the year didn't full training kit yet alone 13 men to field to the play offs deserves credit. much of Wigans success to can be credited to Noble in that the youth he worked so hard on have stood up and really been counted this year.

No issues with Pat Richards, fully deserved. I do think Johnny Lomax and his recent turn of good form came too late for him to pip Tomkins to young player but he was definitely in with a shout.

WireRed

Noble would have been my pick for coach of the year - to take a team that at the turn of the year didn't full training kit yet alone 13 men to field to the play offs deserves credit. much of Wigans success to can be credited to Noble in that the youth he worked so hard on have stood up and really been counted this year.

No issues with Pat Richards, fully deserved. I do think Johnny Lomax and his recent turn of good form came too late for him to pip Tomkins to young player but he was definitely in with a shout.
Noble was definately a contender for COY but I have to disagree with the bold bit. Noble was very reluctant to blood the youngsters at Wigan and often turned to the experienced players when they were fit(picking O'Loughlin after months out over Lee Mossop in the CC semi v Wire is a prime example), he even kept dropping Sam Tomkins when Tim Smith was fit, it took a season ender for Smith for Noble to fully trust Tomkins.

Joel hardly had a look in under Nobby, and the likes of Farrell, Tuson, and McIllorum were in the reserves and hardly ever seen. Goulding was also farmed out to Salford.