Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Least you aren't holding a grudge.
The number of otherwise progressive Irish folk, who support English football teams and enjoy many aspects of English culture, but use ancient grudges to justify their hatred of England, is always surprising.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The number of otherwise progressive Irish folk, who support English football teams and enjoy many aspects of English culture, but use ancient grudges to justify their hatred of England, is always surprising.
Funny that, isn't it? It's almost as if incidents such as your Home Secretary saying things like you should starve the Irish to get Brexit through brings back some memories.

Withnail

Aside from the historical there's been enough enmity generated by the English Rugby team themselves over the years to justify the Irish wanted them to get trounced

air_mood

Met an elderly English couple on the bus on the way to the train station from the stadium after the England vs Argentina game in Tokyo. Couple got the team pack tickets and was following all England’s group games. Guy said that there wasn’t one of England’s performance during the 3 group games that convinced him that England was going to win the cup.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Aside from the historical there's been enough enmity generated by the English Rugby team themselves over the years to justify the Irish wanted them to get trounced
I get that bit. To this day I can't stand Romans or Normans. Bunch of cnuts.

Thisistheone

Well it's not going to be a shock if NZ win at all. As i've already said above, it's a close call. Hardly going to be gobsmacked if NZ win. It's a very close call and i've just gone for England, that's all.
Fair enough, just think its a big call calling anyone favourites against NZ after what they just produced against Ireland. But really looking forward to the game next week.

dbs235

It's understandable that the home nations are big rivals, it's what makes the six nations so good. Going away to Cardiff and Dublin, Wales and Ireland and their fans raise their games to another level. Wouldn't want it any other way. I guess at what point in rugby do you start making it NH vs SH. Some people might support England against NZ for that reason.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not my cnut :)

When’s he’s talking shit about home nations, it’s a strange question to ask why there’s no home nation love
It is strange, for someone to decide not support the home nations because of the opinion of a single Aussie.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's no hatred of England, at least on my part. We're talking about sport and in sport teams have rivals, which is part of the fun. There's really no need to be overly precious about it, it's just part of the slagging that's part of sport. You might as well argue that Manchester United fans should wish Liverpool well in the CL, or that not doing so reflects some kind of deep seated hatred.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
There's no hatred of England, at least on my part. We're talking about sport and in sport teams have rivals, which is part of the fun. There's really no need to be overly precious about it, it's just part of the slagging that's part of sport. You might as well argue that Manchester United fans should wish Liverpool well in the CL, or that not doing so reflects some kind of deep seated hatred.
I can make room alongside standard historical sporting rivalry with England for English folks who don't care if the Troubles flare up again.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I hope you aren't thinking I'm being precious, just a bit of fun. I like that the English teams did well in the CL, I just didn't want any of them to win it. :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I hope you aren't thinking I'm being precious, just a bit of fun. I like that the English teams did well in the CL, I just didn't want any of them to win it. :)
Wasn't directed at you lad. :)

diarm

In rugby terms, I hate Wales way more than I hate England.

Of course, neither hold a candle to how much I hate Ireland today :(

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Whenever England has beaten Australia in a World Cup quarter final, South Africa has gone on to win the World Cup......

diarm

Yeah, Gatland helped to foster that too over the years I reckon. Though I think he was the injured party when it comes to him and the IRFU.
I'd agree with that. Eddie the Idiot stabbed him in the back there.

As much as I dislike him, he was the bravest coach Ireland have had in the pro era. The only one unafraid to make big selection calls and pick on form and talent rather than age and reputation.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'd agree with that. Eddie the Idiot stabbed him in the back there.

As much as I dislike him, he was the bravest coach Ireland have had in the pro era. The only one unafraid to make big selection calls and pick on form and talent rather than age and reputation.
I read the Connacht book there lately and there's some very good interviews in there saying he got the Ireland job a year or two too early. Hindsight is 20/20 and all but it's hard to disagree with in light of his achievements.

kidbob

We killed ourselves today with so many basic errors. No blame to Joe at all, he can't be blamed for our players shitting themselves. If NZ play at their best then they win the tournament. I know England fans are confident and while they are good they, like every other team, have to hope that NZ don't play their A game otherwise they are going to have too much for anyone.

Disappointed to see Joe's last game go like that, guy's been an outrageous coach for Leinster and Ireland. Even more disappointed to see Farrell get the job. First thing first he needs to bring in a top class attack coach and use the next year or 2 to bring in the younger guys. Sexton and Murray need to be phased out for Joey, Carty and Cooney. I so much wish that we had approached Kevin Friend to take over (although Connacht fans would hate that). Anyway hope Japan can pull off a miracle but expecting the winner on Eng v NZ to win it. I'm strongly leaning NZ at the moment.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
We killed ourselves today with so many basic errors. No blame to Joe at all, he can't be blamed for our players shitting themselves. If NZ play at their best then they win the tournament. I know England fans are confident and while they are good they, like every other team, have to hope that NZ don't play their A game otherwise they are going to have too much for anyone.

Disappointed to see Joe's last game go like that, guy's been an outrageous coach for Leinster and Ireland. Even more disappointed to see Farrell get the job. First thing first he needs to bring in a top class attack coach and use the next year or 2 to bring in the younger guys. Sexton and Murray need to be phased out for Joey, Carty and Cooney. I so much wish that we had approached Kevin Friend to take over (although Connacht fans would hate that). Anyway hope Japan can pull off a miracle but expecting the winner on Eng v NZ to win it. I'm strongly leaning NZ at the moment.
Andy Friend ;) And yes, we absolutely would. I know it's squads not at full strength in the Pro 14 at the minute but we look good.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don’t expect England to beat NZ, but if they do, will all you Irish rugby fans at least be a little bit impressed, after you were so decidedly pasted today?

diarm

I don’t expect England to beat NZ, but if they do, will all you Irish rugby fans at least be a little bit impressed, after you were so decidedly pasted today?
I'll be massively impressed.

But I already know England are a good side and will give NZ a much tougher game than we did today. Whether it will be enough I don't know but these two are the best sides in the competition and that semi is a de facto final for me.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I'll be massively impressed.

But I already know England are a good side and will give NZ a much tougher game than we did today. Whether it will be enough I don't know but these two are the best sides in the competition and that semi is a de facto final for me.
What do you think of Farrell going forward as our head coach now

diarm

Why's that, mate?
Why Wales?

I think we've had a better rivalry over the last couple of decades. There is real beef with Gatland and even if I feel he was hard done by over here, he's been a prick ever since. The players have had their differences and at provincial level, I detest the way Welsh fans have treated the Pro 14 in its various guises and their incessant neediness in wanting to suck up to the English Premiership spivs who don't want them, even if it means throwing their Celtic cousins under the bus.

Then there is your typical Welsh internet or social media fan, who make Glaston look sensible and honest.

Eire Red United

I’ll say well done. That NZ team is far from unbeatable, we were just abysmal today. I’d expect England to really put it up to them and it wouldn’t be that big a shock if ye won.

diarm

What do you think of Farrell going forward as our head coach now
I wasn't overly impressed at the announcement and nothing since has changed my mind. I want to see us start focusing on playing actual rugby rather than focusing on a dour, negative and conservative gameplan which supposedly plays to our historically unsuccessful strengths. We are producing players better than we ever have before and I want to see those players play rugby we can be proud of.

I want to see us build properly towards a world cup, not set older, experienced stalwarts in stone and see them successful in between years when other, better sides are rebuilding. We do it every time and then use that false success as some sort of proof that those 33, 35 and 37 year olds should keep their place for World Cups that are beyond them.

Personally I don't think Andy Farrell is the answer to these problems - I think he'll be more of the same. But I'm happy to wait and see how he starts before totally writing him off. He needs to be completely ruthless for the upcoming six nations and he needs to bring in a world class attack coach. Our attacking play has been abysmal for far too long.

PoTMS

Nice to see the bitters out again in full force as it is every time England do well.

Once again, England showing everyone they are the best sporting nation. Period .

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I’ll say well done. That NZ team is far from unbeatable, we were just abysmal today. I’d expect England to really put it up to them and it wouldn’t be that big a shock if ye won.
I'll be chuffed if they beat NZ it's the only way Wales can lift the trophy. Do us a favour boys.

kidbob

Nice to see the bitters out again in full force as it is every time England do well.

Once again, England showing everyone they are the best sporting nation. Period .
:lol::lol: Bitters my arse. Imagine people thinking that the best rugby team in the World might just beat England. You guys have a good chance no doubt but if both teams play at 100% then NZ win, just like they would win against any team.

Also what gives England the title of best sporting nation in the World? Genuinely I'd love to know.