Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Shame really as we definitely had more chance of beating England than New Zealand imo
Yeah as we played the day after I didn't know who i wanted to win yesterday. Having seen both games now I can't see past England next week. Good luck to them I'm only against them for 80 minutes when they are the opposition. They were at a different level yesterday maybe the best I've ever seen them.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Wales have lost 3 games in their last 21. Beat England and won grand slam just a few months ago, yet to read England fans in here, you’d swear you were and have been the best rugby nation since the dawn of time and the rest just make up numbers. Congratulations on making the final but quite bizarre comments from some
I think you're reading a little too much into those comments. It's all a bit of fun. Having said that, there's a reason England and NZ were clear favourites coming into the competition, despite their comparatively difficult route to the final. That wasn't a view isolated to England, and nothing we've seen so far has suggested that it was a misinformed prediction. Of course on their day SA can win, but I don't think it's bold to say if England play close to their best, they'll win with something to spare, because at this moment in time they are simply a better team.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think you're reading a little too much into those comments. It's all a bit of fun. Having said that, there's a reason England and NZ were clear favourites coming into the competition, despite their comparatively difficult route to the final. That wasn't a view isolated to England, and nothing we've seen so far has suggested that it was a misinformed prediction. Of course on their day SA can win, but I don't think it's bold to say if England play close to their best, they'll win with something to spare, because at this moment in time they are simply a better team.
I get the fun, infact I know @SquishyMcSquish is never serious (I hope :lol:)
It’s the other comments, just on the last page with the the words comfortably win the final, easily win the final, yesterday the real final.
That’s a reach to say they are said in jest.

Each to their own though, I guess some just like jumping the gun and making out it’ll be a walk in the park

RoyH1

Don’t rule SA out. They can make it very difficult for England. I think the game will be very scrappy and a lot more complicated for. England than one can expect

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
England winning cricket and rugby World Cups in the same year is not a pleasant prospect. South Africa winning the World Cup playing the way they did tonight wouldn't be pleasant either.

The best thing you can say about South Africa is they won and have given themselves a shot at becoming world champions. World Cups aren't won the strength of a semi final performance, it's a one off game and anything can happen.

SA are quite capable of beating both teams on their day though. How can anyone even dispute that?
Like I said, anything can happen in a final. England are clearly playing better going into the final though.

freeurmind

weak willed
No way we win next week. Just give England the trophy already. Rassie has done a superb job taking this team from the depths of despair losing to Italy to Rugby Championship winners and World Cup finalists. We've got some good young talent coming through and the likes of Faf, Etzebeth, Pollard and Marx will be at the peak of their powers in 4 years time. We will be a serious threat in France.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
No way we win next week. Just give England the trophy already. Rassie has done a superb job taking this team from the depths of despair losing to Italy to Rugby Championship winners and World Cup finalists. We've got some good young talent coming through and the likes of Faf, Etzebeth, Pollard and Marx will be at the peak of their powers in 4 years time. We will be a serious threat in France.
You can't give up. One high tackle or an off day changes everything

Kopral Jono

South Africa are massive underdogs coming into next week and I reckon that suits them. But still, I'd be very surprised if they manage to pull it off. The big question for me is will Kolbe be fit in time? Him playing could be a huge factor on which way the match will swing.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
England winning cricket and rugby World Cups in the same year is not a pleasant prospect. South Africa winning the World Cup playing the way they did tonight wouldn't be pleasant either.

The best thing you can say about South Africa is they won and have given themselves a shot at becoming world champions. World Cups aren't won the strength of a semi final performance, it's a one off game and anything can happen.
:lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I had high hopes the Wallabies would be a formidable team after losing the final of the last World Cup and we know how that turned out. My hope was misguided. A lot can happen in 4 years. Yes South Africa have talented players who'll be in their prime in 4 years time but the time to strike is now.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Complacency could definitely be a big factor next week but the way SA celebrated today compared to how England looked like they still had business to do after the game yesterday makes me more confident as an England fan. The group looks like they know there's still work to do.

Quite often, when teams beat NZ, they feel the work is done. I don't get that feeling with England this time.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I get the fun, infact I know @SquishyMcSquish is never serious (I hope :lol:)
It’s the other comments, just on the last page with the the words comfortably win the final, easily win the final, yesterday the real final.
That’s a reach to say they are said in jest.

Each to their own though, I guess some just like jumping the gun and making out it’ll be a walk in the park

Yeah I’m taking the piss.

I know feck all about rugby :lol:

Thisistheone

Wales have lost 3 games in their last 21. Beat England and won grand slam just a few months ago, yet to read England fans in here, you’d swear you were and have been the best rugby nation since the dawn of time and the rest just make up numbers. Congratulations on making the final but quite bizarre comments from some
It's quite funny isn't it. England have done well this tournament but they're actually massive under achievers in Rugby. Considering they have the most money and largest pool of players. Getting knocked out in the groups of their own World Cup made them a laughing stock as well.

RoyH1

It's quite funny isn't it. England have done well this tournament but they're actually massive under achievers in Rugby. Considering they have the most money and largest pool of players. Getting knocked out in the groups of their own World Cup made them a laughing stock as well.
I don't think it's quite that bad. All things taken into consideration, rugby is simply not that big in England. It's behind cricket and don't even get me started on the colossal difference with football. Rugby is not a religion there like it is in New Zealand or Wales. Yes, due to their relative size they should be even better, but you could say the same thing about France. Considering the strength of their league, they might just be the most underachieving side in rugby.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The attention paid to rugby compared to countries like Wales is tiny. As someone who has lived in England & Wales, the difference is tremendous. In Wales, everywhere you go you can see that rugby is a huge deal to people, in England it's all football and you barely even hear a mention given to rugby. Even now, when we're in the final, not many people I know care that much.

And I wonder how many England fans will care about being a laughing stock if they lift the trophy this year? Not many, I'd wager.

Tarrou

The attention paid to rugby compared to countries like Wales is tiny. As someone who has lived in England & Wales, the difference is tremendous. In Wales, everywhere you go you can see that rugby is a huge deal to people, in England it's all football and you barely even hear a mention given to rugby. Even now, when we're in the final, not many people I know care that much.

And I wonder how many England fans will care about being a laughing stock if they lift the trophy this year? Not many, I'd wager.
Yeah its huge in Wales but the size of the countries mean England still have a massive advantage

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah its huge in Wales but the size of the countries mean England still have a massive advantage

This seems like a very simplistic way of assessing things. Just looking at the overall pool? I mean the fact New Zealand are so dominant despite that small number should say pretty much everything about how relevant total pool is.

In countries where it's treated as the #1 sport and practically a religion, the high likelihood is that those countries are going to be good at it. Higher pool but less focus doesn't seem to mean all too much, if it did obviously England and France would dominate the sport.

Tarrou

This seems like a very simplistic way of assessing things. Just looking at the overall pool? I mean the fact New Zealand are so dominant despite that small number should say pretty much everything about how relevant total pool is.

In countries where it's treated as the #1 sport and practically a religion, the high likelihood is that those countries are going to be good at it. Higher pool but less focus doesn't seem to mean all too much, if it did obviously England and France would dominate the sport.
well obviously yeah

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

You initially said the attention given to rugby was nothing compared to wales. I think the 130k registered players to our measly 20k says otherwise. Even if there is more of you over there.

I think rugby is more of a posh private school sport in England isn’t it? Maybe you just have different friends

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You initially said the attention given to rugby was nothing compared to wales. I think the 130k registered players to our measly 20k says otherwise. Even if there is more of you over there.

I think rugby is more of a posh private school sport in England isn’t it? Maybe you just have different friends
Doesn't mean the best English athletes are being directed towards rugby. Might have a larger pool, but that's just due to a much larger population .. says nothing about the overall quality of that pool.

It's taken seriously in private schools and that's about it. Football is FAR more important and so is cricket. In Wales/New Zealand etc Rugby is clearly treated as the number 1, and thus you'd expect these countries to be good at it. Just like in football with countries like Uruguay, Portugal etc .. the pool is small but the attention/resources given to that sport means that the best athletes are most likely going to gravitate towards that one discipline.

It's obviously impressive that Wales punches above its weight. But it's not unprecedented in sport at all. England's athletes have to go and reach football world cup semi finals, win the cricket world cup, reach the final of the rugby world cup etc etc. It's actually pretty exhausting for us to be so good at so many things, must be very relaxing for countries who are only good at one thing.

(ok that last bit was maybe a bit of bait)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Doesn't mean the best English athletes are being directed towards rugby. Might have a larger pool, but that's just due to a much larger population .. says nothing about the overall quality of that pool.

It's taken seriously in private schools and that's about it. Football is FAR more important and so is cricket. In Wales/New Zealand etc Rugby is clearly treated as the number 1, and thus you'd expect these countries to be good at it. Just like in football with countries like Uruguay, Portugal etc .. the pool is small but the attention/resources given to that sport means that the best athletes are most likely going to gravitate towards that one discipline.

It's obviously impressive that Wales punches above its weight. But it's not unprecedented in sport at all. England's athletes have to go and reach football world cup semi finals, win the cricket world cup, reach the final of the rugby world cup etc etc. It's actually pretty exhausting for us to be so good at so many things, must be very relaxing for countries who are only good at one thing.

(ok that last bit was maybe a bit of bait)
I love your replies :lol:
Yeah agree with everything you’ve said and I also feel for you with how exhausting it is being good at everything

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I love your replies :lol:
Yeah agree with everything you’ve said and I also feel for you with how exhausting it is being good at everything
Seriously though, not a huge rugby fan but still pretty gutted Wales didn't make it to the final.

I went to Uni in Wales so had planned to make a trip back if the final was England/Wales. Would've been quality.

Thisistheone

We love our rugby in Wales of course, but Football is just as big. (some argue its bigger) Look at the crowds for club games in the Pro14. It's pretty awful. Also in the school I went to, our year there were 3 football teams and 1 rugby team.

Anyway, the bottom line is England have a far bigger pool of players to pick from and the Union has more money, better infrastructure etc. So yeah, big advantage for England (and France for that matter)

Both should have won more imo.

RooneyLegend

Ridiculous post

RooneyLegend

The difference in quality between the two semis was marked. Either of yesterday's teams would have been the favourites going into the final.
Maybe to people who dont understand the game. The difference isn't quality, it's pretty much a style of play. England wont play against us the way they played vs New Zealand, it's impossible. They will lose the physical contest and have to play from the back foot. The question is whether they are good enough to do so and win, something i really doubt.

Withnail

Maybe to people who dont understand the game. The difference isn't quality, it's pretty much a style of play. England wont play against us the way they played vs New Zealand, it's impossible. They will lose the physical contest and have to play from the back foot. The question is whether they are good enough to do so and win, something i really doubt.
I was referring to the quality of the performances.

The Wales SA game was dour: there were poor choices made by both teams, handling errors, aimless kicks and a lack of any real conviction in attack.

Granted some of this stuff can be rectified but if SA put in the same level of performance in the final they'll lose and England are the favourites to win.

Thisistheone

Yeah England are big favourites. Almost a reverse of the 2007 final when South Africa were almost certain to win after stuffing England 36-0 in the group stage. That was a special SA side.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Jerome Garces has been given the privilege of refereeing Saturday's final. He'll be assisted by Ben O'Kefee and Romain Poite. Andre Watson will remain the only man to have refereed two World Cup finals for another 8 years at least.

Traub

Jerome Garces has been given the privilege of refereeing Saturday's final. He'll be assisted by Ben O'Kefee and Romain Poite. Andre Watson will remain the only man to have refereed two World Cup finals for another 8 years at least.
Damn, we have a terrible record with him even though we won the semi.