Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Don't really see it that way personally. England are the best NH side historically. Wales have only been good again since Gatland came in. Beat Ireland on their way to the 2011 semi-final when Ireland were the favourites before hand.
England and Wales are historically very close and even in their bad periods they are somehow close but Wales still won more tournaments.

JPRouve

Scout
Actually, I think Ireland will have a better chance against the All Blacks that the Springboks.
That's interesting what make you think that, in which phases do you see them particularly struggle against the Boks?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That's not always get found out at the world cup though, is it. It's literally one time.
England have tactically outclassed us today. Too much pressure.
Are you saying Argentina didn't excellently exploit our weaknesses in the last world cup, i.e. we got found out? And that our weaknesses weren't excellently exploited today?

Green_Red

That comment was from the six nations opener this year, not a world cup. And getting beat by England in Rugby isn't exactly being found out. We lose to them more often than not.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That comment was from the six nations opener this year, not a world cup. And getting beat by England in Rugby isn't exactly being found out. We lose to them more often than not.
We have glaring weaknesses, for years.

We don't fix them.

Other teams know this.

Successful teams exploit them.

We get found out

Green_Red

We have glaring weaknesses, for years.

We don't fix them.

Other teams know this.

Successful teams exploit them.

Wenger found out
Every team has weaknesses. When we beat the All Blacks last year did you say "oh the all blacks have been found out now", no you chalk it off as, they cant win every match. "Successful teams exploit them" should be GOOD teams exploit them because the only teams we've ever lost to in a World Cup are proper Rugby playing nations like Australia, Wales Argentina, New Zealand. Do you even know how many times we've played Japan in a rugby world cup, before you run off to Google to find out...

Green_Red

You know what, I don't actually have to do this. I imagine Murray Kinsella is already writing a great article about it that'll appear by next Tuesday or Wednesday.
And we do fix them. In the last 6 - 8 years our ability to retain possession and continue building our phases of play has improved drastically. Our scrum has improved since 09 when it was identified we didn't have a proper prop. Our release at the breakdown has also improved massively over the last 6-8 years since Schmidt has come in because they were identified as weaknesses, so what the actual feck are you talking about?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Every team has weaknesses. When we beat the All Blacks last year did you say "oh the all blacks have been found out now", no you chalk it off as, they cant win every match. "Successful teams exploit them" should be GOOD teams exploit them because the only teams we've ever lost to in a World Cup are proper Rugby playing nations like Australia, Wales Argentina, New Zealand. Do you even know how many times we've played Japan in a rugby world cup, before you run off to Google to find out...
Seriously. What's your problem?

Yes, people did say the ABs have been found out. They were in a transition period and had identifiable weaknesses that came home to roost.

Ireland have had the same weaknesses for a long time that have been identified for a long time, that have not been resolved, and that have been exploited.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
And we do fix them. In the last 6 - 8 years our ability to retain possession and continue building our phases of play has improved drastically. Our scrum has improved since 09 when it was identified we didn't have a proper prop. Our release at the breakdown has also improved massively over the last 6-8 years since Schmidt has come in because they were identified as weaknesses, so what the actual feck are you talking about?
Absolutely. Fair play to Ireland for fixing those issues. Ireland's over-reliance on aging stalwarts was remedied too late though, for one example.

Thisistheone

England and Wales are historically very close and even in their bad periods they are somehow close but Wales still won more tournaments.
I don't count the golden age of the 70s for Wales since there was no World Cup. In the 90's and early 00's Wales were awful. England were very strong. Admittedly Wales have matched (or even bettered) them since Gats came in. But choke seems very harsh, imo.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
That's interesting what make you think that, in which phases do you see them particularly struggle against the Boks?
I think the Boks might just prefer a tight game, the All Backs an open game. I think the Irish might fancy their chances more rushing the All Backs and forcing mistakes then they would against the Springboks. Just a hunch.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
"Oscar Wilde, Bono, Liam Neeson, Bob Geldof, Father Ted. Can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating!"

RedDevilRoshi

Another great morning of rugby today.

Caught the last 15 mins of Argentina vs Tonga and looks like the Argentinians had already wrapped the game up inside the opening 30 mins. This is going to go right down to the wire to see who qualifies for the quarters alongside most likely England.

Japan vs Ireland was a fantastic game! Thought pre-match, it was going to be a tight game with Ireland just about edging it but I was totally wide off the mark with that prediction! Japan were excellent throughout and well deserved winners in the end. Such a fantastic performance and the players did their nation proud. Even though an Irish win would have been more ideal looking at it from a Scottish perspective, I was even starting to join in with the neutrals and cheer on the Japanese as it would have been totally cruel if they didn’t win that game. Showed Scotland and Gregor Townsend up on how you beat this Irish team! Talking about Scotland, result now means we need to pick up bonus point wins over both Samoa & Russia as well as a win over Japan. Can I see us doing it? After last weeks performance, absolutely not a f****** chance but let’s see what happens against Samoa on Monday and take things from there.

South Africa vs Namibia was as you expected. Showcasing their incredible depth and virtually steam rolling over the Namibian’s. Such an entertaining team to watch when they all click together.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Feck! I went to sleep at 1/2 time in the Ire/Jpn game as it was after 1am and I woke up a short while ago to that result :(
The positive in me says it’s Schmidts master plan for a better draw (should Ireland advance). That’s the only thing I can come up with.
Congrats to Japan though.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Feck! I went to sleep at 1/2 time in the Ire/Jpn game as it was after 1am and I woke up a short while ago to that result :(
The positive in me says it’s Schmidts master plan for a better draw (should Ireland advance). That’s the only thing I can come up with.
Congrats to Japan though.
I did the same only I was asleep on the sofa with the game on then went to bed and woke up to see a message from a buddy with Ireland and a shit emoji

Zen

The reason Wales and Ireland 'choke' at World Cups is because they value the 6N Grand Slam over it.....theres a reason why France and clearly England have better success in the World Cup.

England barely celebrate 6N Grand Slams, it's just a tidy win, they target the world cup. Wales and Ireland seemingly still fear it......the pure proof is in Wales epic bottle job vs France in 2011, and Irelands vs Argentina in 2015......sure, England and France have flopped at WC's themselves, but they've also overachieved at them.

Zoo

Game of the weekend now. Wales need to involve North and Liam Williams more if they want to be contenders.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Tough to cheer Wales on but glad they got that try then. Thought Australia were very lucky to escape punishment on that forearm to the throat.

Tarrou

Aussies commentators said that last Wales try was miles offside. They haven’t shown a proper replay yet though. Was it?

JPRouve

Scout
Aussies commentators said that last Wales try was miles offside. They haven’t shown a proper replay yet though. Was it?
It wasn't miles offside but it's close to a small offside. Genia starts lifting the ball early and then takes small steps.

Jiggs'Hamstring

The reason Wales and Ireland 'choke' at World Cups is because they value the 6N Grand Slam over it.....theres a reason why France and clearly England have better success in the World Cup.

England barely celebrate 6N Grand Slams, it's just a tidy win, they target the world cup. Wales and Ireland seemingly still fear it......the pure proof is in Wales epic bottle job vs France in 2011, and Irelands vs Argentina in 2015......sure, England and France have flopped at WC's themselves, but they've also overachieved at them.
'Epic bottle job'? We had our captain sent off after 20 mins and still outplayed them. What a load of rubbish.

Anyway, phenomenal first half here. Excelled everywhere bar the set piece. Not over though. Next score is huge.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Loving the comeback from the Wallabies. A win could go someway towards saving us from Cheika raging about that penalty against Kerevi late in the first half.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Wales win 29-25. Wallabies were gallant but a disappointing 1st half cost them. Cheika, please hold your tongue when asked about the penalty Kerevi conceded just before half time. Well done to Wales who have now won two in a row against Australia after losing 13 straight to the Wallabies.