Rugby World Cup Thread

Lynott

Well the sporting occesion of the year is nearly upon us. The butterflies have set up shop on a permanent basis in my stomach.

My outside bet for the title is Australia. Everyone is saying an England v NZ final, but I just feel that the Aussies have suckered us all into believing they are struggling and with home advantage I have a feeling they might sneak it.

England, well they deserve it on their performances over trhe last 2 years, however there is still the matter of playing the actual tournament. I think it is the best rugby team I have ever witnessed. Very few, if any, weak points and they are bringing 30 players who would walk onto any team in the world.

NZ, they have shown the world what they have, an abundance of pace, a class out half and a solid pack. However, they do not have any sure fire kicker, their scrum halfs are not great and everyone knows what to expect. I think they should have kept a few players under wraps until the WC.

Most importantly, Ireland. We have to get revenge against Argentina, I believe we will get out of the group second to the Aussies, then I think we have to face the All Blacks(if they win their group ;)), so that will be the end of our tournament. I guess we can't really expect anything else from the lads. Anything less than the above will be disturbing. Come on lads, do it for Jordan!

markorm

Lynott said:
Well the sporting occesion of the year is nearly upon us. The butterflies have set up shop on a permanent basis in my stomach.

My outside bet for the title is Australia. Everyone is saying an England v NZ final, but I just feel that the Aussies have suckered us all into believing they are struggling and with home advantage I have a feeling they might sneak it.

England, well they deserve it on their performances over trhe last 2 years, however there is still the matter of playing the actual tournament. I think it is the best rugby team I have ever witnessed. Very few, if any, weak points and they are bringing 30 players who would walk onto any team in the world.

NZ, they have shown the world what they have, an abundance of pace, a class out half and a solid pack. However, they do not have any sure fire kicker, their scrum halfs are not great and everyone knows what to expect. I think they should have kept a few players under wraps until the WC.

Most importantly, Ireland. We have to get revenge against Argentina, I believe we will get out of the group second to the Aussies, then I think we have to face the All Blacks(if they win their group ;)), so that will be the end of our tournament. I guess we can't really expect anything else from the lads. Anything less than the above will be disturbing. Come on lads, do it for Jordan!

aye, It's alright, an all, but I can't see myself in the pub at 7am to watch a rugby match.

Word on the street is that England are gonna rompt it anyway?

ellie brown

the east is red
I will be surprised if anyone will bother much about the rugby world cup. for the record, I do'nt believe NZ will win, and you can quote me on that. the crap they are putting our media through contributes to my belief.

I think our lack of goalkicker is the main reason for my nervousness, I find it inexplicable that they excluded Merhtens (ok, I am a Cantabrian, so hopelessly biased, but nonetheless), it defies description as far as I'm concerned. We have no one to compare to Johnny Wilkinson, (if not already gorgeous, he's deadly accurate as well, ok, my apologies, I am only a woman) if any world cup final was to come down to goalkicking (which it has every likelihood of doing) I know who my money would be on and it certainly isn't Carlos spencer! :houllier:
I think England or France, will be extremely tough to beat...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
markorm said:
aye, It's alright, an all, but I can't see myself in the pub at 7am to watch a rugby match.

Word on the street is that England are gonna rompt it anyway?
It is being held just down the road and I can't see myself going to a match even if I was given tickets. I can see myself switching channels if any of it gets shown on free to air tv.

Ther are only 3 teams with a chance, Oz, NZ and England. And England should win unless they bottle it.

So Oz or NZ it is then ;)

Lynott

ellie brown said:
I will be surprised if anyone will bother much about the rugby world cup. for the record, I do'nt believe NZ will win, and you can quote me on that. the crap they are putting our media through contributes to my belief.

I think our lack of goalkicker is the main reason for my nervousness, I find it inexplicable that they excluded Merhtens (ok, I am a Cantabrian, so hopelessly biased, but nonetheless), it defies description as far as I'm concerned. We have no one to compare to Johnny Wilkinson, (if not already gorgeous, he's deadly accurate as well, ok, my apologies, I am only a woman) if any world cup final was to come down to goalkicking (which it has every likelihood of doing) I know who my money would be on and it certainly isn't Carlos spencer! :houllier:
I think England or France, will be extremely tough to beat...

As I mentioned above I have to agree that the omission of a good kicker (like Merhtens) could effectively end NZ hopes before the thing even starts. I can't understand it at all. Its the most important part of the game. I think England are the strongest team going, in every department but surely the fact that they have the best kicker on the planet aids them beyond capture. What were NZ thinking? Unless spencer is putting in some serious hours practising his kicks, I cannot see how they will even make the semis.

Lynott

26 may 1999 said:
When does it start?

I'll be listening to the matches in my van by the sounds of it.
10th Oct.

Most of the matches are played at the weekends!

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
England might have the best side at the moment but if they have the nerve to win it is questionable.

The southern hemisphere sides will be best suited to the conditions, NZ look very strong.

But watch out for the French, they go there without any pressure and they have the discipline and flair to shock any side in the world.

mjdj

i just got back from the wallabies training session and it was quite intense. they looked primed for this, much more intense than what it was before any of the tri nation matches.

the conditions down here will make like tough for the northern hemisphere teams. last week the average temp was 32 degrees celsius, and it was only september. poms better pray for rain methinks, plus they will bottle it...

ellie brown

the east is red
And where were the All Blacks training this week?? Snow-bound Methven, they didn't go to Gisborne a couple of weeks ago because of the rain, but still decided to train in Methven after a huge unseasonal snowfall they had this week. :confused:

Awesome training for a world cup which is going to be held in hot, dry australian conditions don't you think? :rolleyes:

Virtually no communication and a certain degree of mistrust of the media as well, I might add :nervous:

Shaping up to be a first-class disaster :houllier: hope I'm wrong!

ellie brown

the east is red
Lynott said:
As I mentioned above I have to agree that the omission of a good kicker (like Merhtens) could effectively end NZ hopes before the thing even starts. I can't understand it at all. Its the most important part of the game. I think England are the strongest team going, in every department but surely the fact that they have the best kicker on the planet aids them beyond capture. What were NZ thinking? Unless spencer is putting in some serious hours practising his kicks, I cannot see how they will even make the semis.
well, I couldn't agree more, its entirely possible that the whole thing could come down to goal-kicking. I've got a sneaking suspicion that mitchell or deans (or both) have some sort of a personal thing against Merhtens, he's actually been performing quite well in our NPC (domestic competition). Reminds me of some of the stupid decisions Hart made just because he didn't "like" certain players :rolleyes:

but like I say, hope I'm wrong! :(

fjred

ellie brown said:
but like I say, hope I'm wrong! :(

Think you're wrong all right. I'm English but I don't see England living up to the hype at all. The NZ and Aus backs are more expansive and creative than ours. Even though the team is described as '8 mud wrestlers with a kicker behind' I don't see'em dominating. In the last world cup, England played NZ attempting to pull into rucks as many players of NZ as they could, hoping that 6/7 of them would pull in 9/10 and create spaces. NZ stopped this 'brilliant' ploy with 5 men and each time we broke away we were tackled over our own game line. We still havn't learnt, in spite of our recent results.

Not as optimistic an Englishman as some!

ellie brown

the east is red
fjred said:
Even though the team is described as '8 mud wrestlers with a kicker behind' I don't see'em dominating.
The whole thing could come down to kicks at goal as we have seen at crucial stages of previous world cups, including the 95 final. You have a sure thing with Wilkinson, our own "Carlos 60% Spencer" is simply not up to the task, IMO unless a miracle happens in the next few days :rolleyes:

NZ more often than not in recent years, been psyched out by the aussies on their turf, England are deserving favourites, and I dont see that we will live up to the hype this time just like we didn't last time. :(

The tension is building unbearably here though, I think the coverage starts about 7pm tomorrow night!

Snoeker

We're rather underwhelmed with it all here. The Boks have dished up such shit recently that apathy has reached new highs.

Lynott

Here are my predictions for the World Cup.

I am going for Aus to win in a very boring final in which they will try to kill the game and stop England play.

NZ will crack against the Aussies in the semi's and then trounce us in the 3rd place play-off :(

fjred

ellie brown said:
You have a sure thing with Wilkinson, our own "Carlos 60% Spencer" is simply not up to the task,
Again, I'm not completely with you. Wilks can kick most times but his open play can be disastrous! Second test, Lions tour of Aus a couple of years ago, he gifted the ball to Joe Roff - didn't look where he was passing it. Roff directly scored to put Aus ahead. We didn't get a sniff after that and lost the series 2-1 when we should have taken the Aussies, having won the first test. Your players will break our game line more often than we break yours and I don't see our defence withstanding it forever.

You can probably gather I don't like Woodward and I thought Mitchell did fiine when at Sale! I maybe wrong but havn't NZ won on their last 2 visits to Aus?

Snoeker

ManUinOz said:
The Sprinboks will feck up Wilko in the first game and England will be fecked for the finals. Aussies to win.
I'd be happy if we can get within touching distance.

fjred

Snoeker said:
I'd be happy if we can get within touching distance.
Bollocks! You've improved over the last year and you know it. I'm not used to understatement from Afrikaaners.

ellie brown

the east is red
fjred, I think I see what is happening here, you are an english supporter and are afraid of jinxing them, that's ok, I can relate to that... ;)

STILL disagree with me about the goalkicking after our performance against Italy? could have been 20 points over and above what we got had we had a reliable goal-kicker :houllier: :rolleyes:

and as for having beaten aussie in our last few games, all well and good, but the past is the past... :nervous:

Snoeker

fjred said:
Bollocks! You've improved over the last year and you know it. I'm not used to understatement from Afrikaaners.
:nono: first off , I'm not an afrikaner. Also this team has a habit of ballsing up when expectation is high, so I expect nothing. :angel:

mr. destro

we get quite a bit of rugby league/union from the southern hemisphere here on telly would you believe, and that mehrtens fella has always impressed me, what little i know of the game

Snoeker

mr. destro said:
we get quite a bit of rugby league/union from the southern hemisphere here on telly would you believe, and that mehrtens fella has always impressed me, what little i know of the game
Maybe thats why they dropped him ;)

mr. destro

Snoeker said:
Maybe thats why they dropped him ;)
hehee i set up nicely for that one! hmm there's another player that always impressed me, what's his name... van de vesthuisen i think, where does he play!

Snoeker

mr. destro said:
hehee i set up nicely for that one! hmm there's another player that always impressed me, what's his name... van de vesthuisen i think, where does he play!
We have 2 of them. The no 15 or the "legendary" no9 Joost. And the yanks might have one of ours as well.

ellie brown

the east is red
mr. destro said:
Merhts is a God from my part of the world. apparently he doesn't fit in with their vision so he's stuffed! go figure??????

Lynott

ellie brown said:
Merhts is a God from my part of the world. apparently he doesn't fit in with their vision so he's stuffed! go figure??????
Ellie, would you say the case is the same for Cullen?
I always thought he was one of the best players I have ever seen, and could never understand why, when fit, he wasn't the first name on the AB team sheet.
Fortunately I will get to see alot of him this season ;).

ellie brown

the east is red
Lynott said:
Ellie, would you say the case is the same for Cullen?
I always thought he was one of the best players I have ever seen, and could never understand why, when fit, he wasn't the first name on the AB team sheet.
Fortunately I will get to see alot of him this season ;).
:lol: sorry he's only from wellington so you will indeed see a lot of him this season! so hopefully you will enjoy that a great deal! :keano:

Snoeker

Cullen is a legend. He's scored soooo many tries against us, especially back when we were relatively decent. He'd slaughter us now. And he scores loads vs SA teams in the Super 12.

Wanker. :annoyed:

Lynott

ellie brown said:
:lol: sorry he's only from wellington so you will indeed see a lot of him this season! so hopefully you will enjoy that a great deal! :keano:
He's a Munster man now girl! ;)

fjred

Points on the board is all I can say about the match. England remind me a bit of Liverpool - fortune abounds, Wilkinson or not.

Snoeker

jacqueline said:
can anyone tell me how to calculate the points?
:smirk:

how... :smirk:
5 points for a try
2 points for a conversion of said try
3 points for a penaly or a drop goal

As far as your query, I think its 4 log points for a win and bonus points; 1 if you score 4 or more tries and 1 if you lose by 7 or less points eg. losing 5-67 will get you no point but losing 24-30 will.

Jacqueline_S

Banned Jackie Chan lookalike
Snoeker said:
5 points for a try
2 points for a conversion of said try
3 points for a penaly or a drop goal

As far as your query, I think its 4 log points for a win and bonus points; 1 if you score 4 or more tries and 1 if you lose by 7 or less points eg. losing 5-67 will get you no point but losing 24-30 will.
oh thanks mate..
btw, italy vs canada = boring boring boring