Russia intervention | Threat to UK report published at 10:30 BST

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are there any major fall-outs expected from this? It's due to be published at 10:30 (BST)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53480682

Raab had mentioned Russia had "certainly meddled" with UK Elections. I also read UK, US and Canada secret service were all sure that Russia were actively trying to hack co-vid research centers in UK as part of a pursuit for a vaccine. I wonder if we will see more information around their attempt to assassinate Sergei Skripal.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Seems like it was leaked and no interference in eu ref, but who knows.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah really? This makes sense actually, I'd imagine these potentially big releases to have a leak somewhere.

Berbasbullet

Ah really? This makes sense actually, I'd imagine these potentially big releases to have a leak somewhere.
Yeah, but that could be certain people trying to push an early narrative.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Are there any major fall-outs expected from this? It's due to be published at 10:30 (BST)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53480682

Raab had mentioned Russia had "certainly meddled" with UK Elections. I also read UK, US and Canada secret service were all sure that Russia were actively trying to hack co-vid research centers in UK as part of a pursuit for a vaccine. I wonder if we will see more information around their attempt to assassinate Sergei Skripal.
Presumably Corbyn will be back to his paid gigs on Russia Today at 11am repeating his Novichok defense

i suspect the amount of shadow cabinet appearances on RT will certainly be in the report given its timeframe of rerefence (11 times for Burgon)
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ess-daniel-kawczynski-philip-davies-sq0dnnnpk

Last edited:

Oldyella

Another whitewash nothingburger?
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me. Just relentlessly ground down by the constant stream of this. Imagine this is how some Americans felt a year or two ago, and it's still going in there.

Smores

The story of it not showing Brexit interference is just from the Times. The right wing media are not a valid source and they'd spin it as nothing no matter what it shows.

My guess is it'll show lots of concerning behaviour and attempts to influence but because none of it is criminal and influence can't be proved then the right will claim victory. Exactly same as the Trump investigations.

It's worse in this case as you're asking brexit supporters to be mad they were influenced but they don't believe they're stupid enough to be influenced. Tories will just say the British aren't stupid enough to fall for it and they'll lap it up.

Rooney1987

Seems like it was leaked and no interference in eu ref, but who knows.
According to Telegraph " Russia tried to “influence” the result of the Scottish Independence Referendum but not EU ref"

Boris is heading to Scotland today. I'm sure that's not coincidence.

Vernon Philander

Presumably Corbyn will be back to his paid gigs on Russia Today at 11am repeating his Novichok defense

i suspect the amount of shadow cabinet appearances on RT will certainly be in the report given its timeframe of rerefence (11 times for Burgon)
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ess-daniel-kawczynski-philip-davies-sq0dnnnpk
Thanks for the biased reporting.

Can you offer anything on the level of Russia funding that finds its way to the Tory donor pot? Or why this Report was suppressed for 18month by this Tory govt?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Thanks for the biased reporting.

Can you offer anything on the level of Russia funding that finds its way to the Tory donor pot? Or why this Report was suppressed for 18month by this Tory govt?
suspect there will be stuff about russian influence over the whole political spectrum ... indy ref, brexit, but for sure as Russia Today is state funded propagander I think the fact that the leader of the opposition had been on it frequently and they made available shadow cabinet members 26 times that will be in the report
Funnily enough since corbyn left I dont think any shadow cabinet members have been on...
Equally the leader of the opposition no longer questions russias involvment in the skripal case either
Both of these incidents will likely be in the report I suspect ... but we will know more in a few hours after its been released and both sides have weaponised elements of it

from the bbc

But why has there been a long-term failure to confront Russian activity?

The answer, according to those who gave evidence to the ISC, is the influence of Russia in the UK and especially the power of its money which has seeped deep into public life.

A whole class of people - lawyers, bankers, accountants and public relations professionals - have themselves become wealthy from the Russian money that has flowed into the UK, and particularly into the City of London.

That has created an influential group who have constantly pushed to avoid a hard line on Moscow, including on sanctions.

If the report does pay significant attention to political donations from Russia, this could prove controversial.

One former Russian official, Alexander Temerko, who has donated more than £1m to the Conservatives and whose name has come up in the context of the report, told me last year that he wanted the report published and said that he was a critic of the Kremlin, not its agent.

But it is thought unlikely that the report will name names.
that will be a shame - though I guess there are legal concerns about naming people if allegations are not fully proven but one would hope it could trigger further investigations

as for the delay - clearly political (though if they had got greyling in charge I suspect they would have pushed for release on Thursday just before parliament breaks up)

The issue of political donations has been raised by some as a reason for Downing Street not allowing the report to be published before last December's election.

But one insider suggested, instead, it was what they described as "the tale of two Dominics".

And that Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson's chief No 10 adviser, did not want to give a platform to Dominic Grieve - the former chairman of the ISC who had the Conservative whip withdrawn over Brexit and who stood unsuccessfully as an independent at the election.

After many rumours, the public is now finally getting a chance to see the report. But it will not see everything.

Some parts are expected to be redacted or censored. And there is also a classified version which will be for official eyes only.
suspect that will spin off into its own conspiracies

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There was interference but the evidence is too old. I expect Russia to be innocent but given a fine for not cooperating.

TheGame

The report has been leaked to Guido Fawkes which is disgraceful and says a lot about the whole thing. Also it states they haven’t even looked into Russian interference in the EU Referendum. What a joke.

Berbasbullet

The report has been leaked to Guido Fawkes which is disgraceful and says a lot about the whole thing. Also it states they haven’t even looked into Russian interference in the EU Referendum. What a joke.

God the fact they have it says so much, what a way for them to gain more traction,

Berbasbullet

Yep absolute joke. The right wingers trying to spin the story so it states there was no interference when the report does not state that. The brain dead will read those headlines and assume that is the case. The cycles keep going.
Yep and the right wingers getting it early get to spin the narrative.

Tibs

Unbelievable re the EU Referendum.

It's not ok if Russia interferes with shit if it negatively impacts the Tories - but if it helps then fine

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Political advertising on social media
38. The regulation of political advertising falls outside this Committee’s remit. Weagree, however, with the DCMS Select Committee’s conclusion that the regulatoryframework needs urgent review if it is to be fit for purpose in the age of widespread socialmedia. In particular, we note and affirm the Select Committee’s recommendation that allonline political adverts should include an imprint stating who is paying for it.
We wouldadd to that a requirement for social media companies to co-operate with MI5 where it issuspected that a hostile foreign state may be covertly running a campaign
seems pretty logical

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think this was perfectly exemplified this morning on BBC Breakfast News when the journalist discussing the release on this report said he expected it to show that prominent Russians with close links to Putin have been making large donations to the Tory party and have been making huge donations to Tory cabinet members and ministers over the past decade and that is likely to prove embarrassing.

Embarrassing.

That’s how the BBC are happy to contextualise Russian oligarchs and likely agents purchase of the UK government.

Berbasbullet

So this couldn’t have been released during the general election because...?

Oh because the tories looked the other way when there is blatant interference in our democratic process, utterly pathetic.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
How can anyone be confident in the voting system when those in power are doing nothing to protect from or even investigate the possibility of foreign interference?

Smores

It couldn't be any clearer that the Tories have been guiding what's acceptable to investigate. That's worse than what i expected and means we're closer to Trump than i thought.

NinjaFletch

It couldn't be any clearer that the Tories have been guiding what's acceptable to investigate. That's worse than what i expected and means we're closer to Trump than i thought.
That's it isn't it?

It's as bad as it could be. The people in charge of the levers of power are so utterly compromised at such a wide spread level that nothing will be done because they're all in on it.

Smores

That's it isn't it?

It's as bad as it could be. The people in charge of the levers of power are so utterly compromised at such a wide spread level that nothing will be done because they're all in on it.
Putin may as well have written it as a troll wind up. 'We're everywhere bitches and your leaders don't care' is the jist.

At least the recommendations from the committee are sound but you suspect they won't be enforced. I'll caveat that with saying the Tories may say they'll enforce them but actually won't.

Vernon Philander

suspect there will be stuff about russian influence over the whole political spectrum ... indy ref, brexit, but for sure as Russia Today is state funded propagander I think the fact that the leader of the opposition had been on it frequently and they made available shadow cabinet members 26 times that will be in the report
Funnily enough since corbyn left I dont think any shadow cabinet members have been on...
Equally the leader of the opposition no longer questions russias involvment in the skripal case either
Both of these incidents will likely be in the report I suspect ... but we will know more in a few hours after its been released and both sides have weaponised elements of it
You sure you want to keep running with this Russia Today narrative?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/politi...-money-from-russia-today-than-labour-mps/amp/

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
And they had the audacity to say Labour were a threat to national security?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So this couldn’t have been released during the general election because...?

Oh because the tories looked the other way when there is blatant interference in our democratic process, utterly pathetic.
If it had been released before the election then people might have been looking more closely at that election. Which is course isn’t covered by this report which was concluded before it.