Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Rajma

Interesting pattern break: Lukashenko has been in Russia on average once a month to meet Putin. He hasn't been there since September and now they will meet in Minsk tomorrow. Wonder what will happen then...

icehole

It's been a long time since I had to study the bible but I must have missed the chapter that covers when the use of nuclear weapons is justified.
Probably in the Book of Armaments, same place that mentions the holy hand grenade of Antioch.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Probably in the Book of Armaments, same place that mentions the holy hand grenade of Antioch.
It's usually done by god himself, but genocide and mass destruction are regularly happening in the bible (killing all firstborn Egyptians, destroying Sodom and Gomorrha etc).

If you believe that Kiyv is full of satanists and other godless people, nuking it is perfectly in line with the bible, at least with the old testament, not so much with the new.

RoyH1

Probably trying to ease the pressure on his troops in the east and south by forcing Ukraine to keep forces in the northern border.
I cannot see a slippery survivor like Lukashenko agreeing to joining the war when the Ukranians have proved so resilient. If they didn't do it in february/march, they're not going to do it now.

Rajma

Probably trying to ease the pressure on his troops in the east and south by forcing Ukraine to keep forces in the northern border.
I cannot see a slippery survivor like Lukashenko agreeing to joining the war when the Ukranians have proved so resilient. If they didn't do it in february/march, they're not going to do it now.
I’m 95% confident that they’ll make him to join the war by presenting him this as the only option to stay alive.

RoyH1

Has Belarus any worthwhile forces trainingwise? Their equipment seems to be old Soviet stuff but we've seen how it's the men and not the weapons that are counting in this war.

Rajma

Has Belarus any worthwhile forces trainingwise? Their equipment seems to be old Soviet stuff but we've seen how it's the men and not the weapons that are counting in this war.
They don’t but they have plenty of men in the country and Putin wants to use up that resource first before further depleting Russian population as he sees them as more dispensable. Russia is full on nazi state and European leaders has still not woken up to this fact, unfortunately.

The United

Where's that guy who was going on about how long it would take to reclaim Bakhmut when the Ukrainians were losing a bit of ground?
Bakhmut hadn't been lost to the Russians at all. They were just getting closer to the city and trying to encircle it. By most accounts, the situation has been the same for a few days. The Russians are extremely close to the city and crossed most of its natural barriers in the east and south.

The kind of counterattack mentioned in that tweet happens every day there but the Russians had gained grounds overall despite all that.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Dumb question, couldn't Poland or someone else place a small force north of Kiev for, I don't know, humanitarian/training purposes so it helps dissuading Lukashenko from any weird ideas? I understand this could have important geopolitical repercussions tough.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dumb question, couldn't Poland or someone else place a small force north of Kiev for, I don't know, humanitarian/training purposes so it helps dissuading Lukashenko from any weird ideas? I understand this could have important geopolitical repercussions tough.
That would mean direct NATO military involvement inside Ukraine, not by simply giving the Ukrainians weapons, but by actually using NATO soldiers to fight Russians.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Bakhmut hadn't been lost to the Russians at all. They were just getting closer to the city and trying to encircle it. By most accounts, the situation has been the same for a few days. The Russians are extremely close to the city and crossed most of its natural barriers in the east and south.

The kind of counterattack mentioned in that tweet happens every day there but the Russians had gained grounds overall despite all that.
I thought at some point they were controlling up to 40% of the town? Although it may be wrong — I don't try to factcheck those tactical news as it's not as important overall & I also have no idea how to properly do it.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
That would mean direct NATO military involvement inside Ukraine, not by simply giving the Ukrainians weapons, but by actually using NATO soldiers to fight Russians.
Then a diplomatic non-military mission on the region? I just want to understand what the red line would be. It could be something big enough to dissuade Belarus but not big enough for Russia to claim NATO is directly involved (not that it would stop them).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

If the counterattacks can drive the Russians out though then I'm not quite sure what you are worrying about? Should the time finally come that the Russians have run out of troops / logistics / whatever there then the Ukrainians will be able to regain the lost ground, as they apparently do every day according to you.

The United

I thought at some point they were controlling up to 40% of the town? Although it may be wrong — I don't try to factcheck those tactical news as it's not as important overall & I also have no idea how to properly do it.
They have been inside or extremely close to the eastern outskirts of the city in the past few days according to the UKR sources. I have no way to know from the Russian sources. I mean it might also depend on what areas are defined as the city limits.

I guess I am talking about the residential area closer to downtown, not the industry area or something.

Last edited:

MadMike

As someone else said, the cannibalism state is the most entertaining.

I love seeing Girkin despondent about the situation on the ground and full on turning on the Kremlin and Putin directly. Laying all the blame on their doorstep for the upcoming disaster and for the horrendous loss of life. The last sentence from him: "Victory over Ukraine, the final defeat of the AFU, is impossible" is... *chef's kiss*

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Then a diplomatic non-military mission on the region? I just want to understand what the red line would be. It could be something big enough to dissuade Belarus but not big enough for Russia to claim NATO is directly involved (not that it would stop them).
I think the idea from a NATO perspective is to allow Putin to weaken himself domestically through a protracted campaign in Ukraine. That is happening now without the need for NATO to cross any imaginary red lines and be in direct military conflict with Russia. Therefore, unless Russia makes serious incursions into Ukraine (not likely given how they're being pushed back at the moment) I can't see any reason for NATO troops to destabilize the current situation when the Ukrainians are making progress by themselves on multiple fronts.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He always managed to evade direct action when it didn't suit him but the whole balancing act between Russia and the West that he's been doing for the past 2+ decades (he wasn't truly balancing between the two but he always played Russia/Putin using the scenario of him moving away from their course to get advantage in current negotiations) obviously doesn't really work now that the West isn't willing to accept him in any way.

I don't think that Putin ever truly forced him to do anything that Lukashenko wasn't willing to do (like a proper reunification with Belarus becoming a federal state in Russian Federation — before the war it was always THE DEAL that he was trying his best not to make). If Putin, who is obviously cornered, truly pushes him, would Lukashenko be able to resist? To Putin having Belarus' forces is probably the X-factor that he's counting on in his otherwise (although let's be honest, it's doomed either way) hopeless hypothetical scenario of the second wave of invasion.

Obviously joining the war effort is almost suicidal but then Lukashenko's dictatorial regime also won't survive in the world where Putin is defeated.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think they're particularly well armed. Lukashenko is also in a precarious position in that he is a political subsidiary of Putin's mafia state who needs Putin for him to remain in power in Belarus, while at the same time, not wanting to appear to the west that he is an active participant in Ukraine, so as to avoid further sanctions.

The United

If the counterattacks can drive the Russians out though then I'm not quite sure what you are worrying about? Should the time finally come that the Russians have run out of troops / logistics / whatever there then the Ukrainians will be able to regain the lost ground, as they apparently do every day according to you.
I am worried that it will be lost for obvious reasons. And there is no such thing as according to me. It is according to the resources on Twitter, which kept saying it has been extremely difficult for the past month, and their maps kept showing how close the Russians are to the residential areas.

Running out of their combat capability right outside of the city would be the best thing, of course.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I am worried that it will be lost for obvious reasons. And there is no such thing as according to me. It is according to the resources on Twitter, which kept saying it has been extremely difficult for the past month, and their maps kept showing how close the Russians are to the residential areas.

Running out of their combat capability right outside of the city would be the best thing, of course.
Trench/urban warfare is never going to be easy I don't think. Things being "extremely difficult" sounds pretty normal to me at some point in a war.

Eurotrash

I think the idea from a NATO perspective is to allow Putin to weaken himself domestically through a protracted campaign in Ukraine. That is happening now without the need for NATO to cross any imaginary red lines and be in direct military conflict with Russia. Therefore, unless Russia makes serious incursions into Ukraine (not likely given how they're being pushed back at the moment) I can't see any reason for NATO troops to destabilize the current situation when the Ukrainians are making progress by themselves on multiple fronts.
Agree with this. If NATO became more directly involved, it would give Putin an excuse for losing this war. And sustainable peace (if such a thing is possible) can only be achieved with Putin and his friends gone.