Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well it's probably not a million miles from the truth that the vast majority of their weapons and equipment now will be from either NATO or captured Russian stuff. A lot of the stuff they had in February must be toast. But I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs of course, doubtless the Russians have had to replace much of their weaponry and equipment since then too.

frostbite

Well it's probably not a million miles from the truth that the vast majority of their weapons and equipment now will be from either NATO or captured Russian stuff. A lot of the stuff they had in February must be toast. But I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs of course, doubtless the Russians have had to replace much of their weaponry and equipment since then too.
It is complete bullshit from Russian TV. As usual. Russians will be "fighting NATO" only when NATO Air Force planes, operated by NATO pilots, are actively bombing Russian forces. The Air Force is the most important component of any NATO military force.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The majority of equipment is still Ukrainian or captured from Russia, NATO deliveries still are a (however crucial) minority.

RoyH1

The reactions from most Russian commentators would be amusing if they weren't so tragic in the big picture of what is happening. They are absolutely mortified about how this is just not going the way they wanted and seething in frustration at how the image they've been carefully nurturing of a superpower is a big facade. All those carefully planted videos of Russian superweapons on YouTube are now basically just living in the imagination of 14 year old edgelords.

Putin's Russia is a mid level kleptocracy that's just buoyed by the fact that it inherited thousands of nuclear weapons from the Soviet Union.

TwoSheds

The majority of equipment is still Ukrainian or captured from Russia, NATO deliveries still are a (however crucial) minority.
Even small arms and ammunition? They must have fired 10 reserves worth of ammo by now.

Tibs

Are these weapons being donated to Ukraine? Or they going to pay us back?

If they are being sold, is it on a cost-basis, or is their profit being made?

MadMike

A lot of the equipment is also old Soviet hand-me-downs from other ex-Soviet countries, which were/are being replaced with NATO standard equipment in the arsenal of those countries.

I expect the impactful NATO armaments component to be on the two different ends of the scale. One, is the cheap (in the grand scheme) but highly essential infantry man equipment like vests, goggles, medkits, rifles, transport vehicles etc. On the other end, there is high tech and expensive artillery and air-defence pieces as well as the rounds/missiles that go into them. The latter are very impactful but few in number. I expect the majority of artillery and air defence pieces to still be old Soviet stuff.

The 3rd component will be the vital sharing of intel from both military satellites and agent reports, as well the creation of secure comms channels for the Ukrainian chain of command.

Rajma

Zelensky has visited Bakhmut where he paid his respects for the brave defenders:

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
With what troops? They can barely hold their own in Ukraine?

I don't see the Rumanians taking this lying down
Transnistria would be a great staging point to attack Odesa. That said, they can't even defend their existing territory from the Ukrainians much less gain new areas.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In other news, a Norwegian supreme Court judge had publicly accused his ukrainean wife of poisoning him over several months in an attempt on his life and that she is now on the run.

The next day she confirmed with several papers she is not on the run, had no motive for killing her husband as she's financially dependent on him and shared these txts from him:

«I think Putin is on track. Earlier his goal was to denazifise Ukraine. Now he tells that the goal is to desatanifise (desatanifisere) Ukraine. On this point he is spot on, but has a big job to do.»

«People from Ukraine are from hell!»

«I hope that the war with Russia ends with that Ukraine is deleted from map!!!»

He confirmed the txts but explained those were the writings of a man deranged by longterm poisoning and that it is only in the past week he has regained his sanity and was able to identify his wife as the only possible cause of the poisoning.

TwoSheds

In other news, a Norwegian supreme Court judge had publicly accused his ukrainean wife of poisoning him over several months in an attempt on his life and that she is now on the run.

The next day she confirmed with several papers she is not on the run, had no motive for killing her husband as she's financially dependent on him and shared these txts from him:

«I think Putin is on track. Earlier his goal was to denazifise Ukraine. Now he tells that the goal is to desatanifise (desatanifisere) Ukraine. On this point he is spot on, but has a big job to do.»

He confirmed the txts but explained those were the writings of a man deranged by longterm poisoning and that it is only in the past week he has regained his sanity and was able to identify his wife as the only possible cause of the poisoning.
:lol: what the feck? Has he been at the crack pipe or something?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’d highly recommend this series of lectures by Timothy Snyder on The Making of Modern Ukraine, which he teaches at Yale. I’ve listened to the first three and am hooked. I miss university.

nimic

something nice
Scout

All true, but he's currently on some kind of leave from the Supreme Court, so he's not actively doing any danger. He's also just one out of 20, and he's also 3 years away from forced retirement. I'm finding it hard to believe he'll stay on, but who knows.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Rajma

I too think Jake Sullivan had a lot to do with dragging out the delivery of required weapons by completely mistreating Putin’s “escalations”.

Last edited:

Simbo

Back to the causalities of Ukraine,

Mention of 100,000 Ukrainian soldiers killed during war removed from address of Head of European Commission
https://www.yahoo.com/now/head-european-commission-ukraine-loses-085126785.html

I wonder if she quoted General Milley.
Or more likely quoting one of the many journalists that misrepresented his off the cuff remarks at some random economic club in NY as some sort of 'US data release'. His use of the word 'probably' tells us he wasn't referring to data, just rambling.

The United

I too think Jake Sullivan had a lot to do with dragging out the delivery of required weapons by completely mistreating Putin’s “escalations”.
It is interesting because some articles mentioned that the Russian troops will get stronger next year, and some of the missiles used to hit UKR cities were recently made, and they still have a lot of chips saved up to make lots of them.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Are these weapons being donated to Ukraine? Or they going to pay us back?

If they are being sold, is it on a cost-basis, or is their profit being made?
Profit. Always profit. No country who’s supplying Ukraine with arms or help is doing it for the goodness of it. It will have to be repaid back at some point and with interest. There’s always a buck to be made when war breaks out.