Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

IWat

Definitely, I think he's already become a hero around most parts of the globe. He truly inspires.
It's sad knowing most Western leaders would have been out 2 days ago without hesitation. Look at the Afghan muppet we backed who left days before they arrived in Kabul

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I don’t think it is, if you were a good living Christian there would be no need for war.
A good discussion point, but or another thread I think :).

Desperately hoping this concludes peacefully and soon.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Maybe it's worth having a discussion about NATO because beyond Putin's theater of the absurd, there are lots of misguided people focused on the boogieman NATO.

Here's the history of NATO aggression, Kosovo in 1999, Afghanistan in 2001, and Libya in 2011. These were actions mostly justified due to major terror situations that had to be addressed. Am I missing anything? Now, I'm not trying to counter the Putin rhetoric which is complete nonsense. The west never even considered invading Russia, ever. I feel it's important to figure out how to respond to the kooky anti-war folks that lack a substantive argument against NATO. - Maybe it's best to set aside the nuclear weapons aspect in this exchange of ideas

I just don't see the mainstream media dealing with this issue.

Yeah, NATO members who participated in Afghanistan and Iraq committed blatant war crimes as were exposed by the 100,000's of Wikileaks files, but NATO's conduct in Europe and in particular Ukraine seems to be poised to simply prevent conflict.

It's worth repeating, for most of us it's common sense, but not for everyone.
Example: More than 50% of US Republicans polled favor Putin over Biden, which is incredibly insane.
Should make a separate thread on NATO

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
It's sad knowing most Western leaders would have been out 2 days ago without hesitation. Look at the Afghan muppet we backed who left days before they arrived in Kabul
It really is. Such a different mentality.

Deery

Dreary
A good discussion point, but or another thread I think :).

Desperately hoping this concludes peacefully and soon.
Yeah, it’s terrible I hope some peace talks can resume tomorrow. We’ll have to see the extent of the devastation over night.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
We've managed to not support or condemn Russia in Ukraine, US in Iraq, and the USSR in Afghanistan :lol:
But *true colours* - every country has the same "true colours" - self-interest and cowardice. Which country had the guts to do sanctions on the US in 2003? The concept itself is so absurd.
Might be mistaken but seem to remember at the time that the attack on Iraq was done in 2003, it was condemned unanimously by India in one of the parliament sessions.

alexthelion

NATO should have been dissolved when the soviet union collapsed
What?

If anything, it's showing that there absolutely is a need for NATO.

Putin/Russia are the only ones to blame for what is happen ing, no one else.

Deery

Dreary
Alexander Usyk has returned to Kyiv to help the people of the Ukraine, Unified Heavy Weight Champion of the World. He could have stayed in London safe but choose to leave.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
50 tons? Wow. That’s great! Kudos.
Yeah there were massive queues all day at the stadium where it was collected. In my neighborhood alone we managed to fill 3 cars with stuff, people are stepping up massively to help.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hard to celebrate, but I hope these losses play on Putin's mind.
According to the page behind the tweet, 2,800 Russian troops have lost their lives in three days of fighting. Pretty staggering given that they still don't have control of any major city.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I really hope we're able to resupply them. They can't hold out forever in Kyiv without SAMs and anti-tank weapons.
If its possible, its likely already happening. For diplomacy reasons, we will never know. There's also a very good chance that there are "special forces" of certain NATO nations assisting with the resistance, but again, it wont be public.

Droid_Repairs

According to the page behind the tweet, 2,800 Russian troops have lost their lives in three days of fighting. Pretty staggering given that they still don't have control of any major city.
That's extraordinary yes, the Ukrainians are clearly very determined. Would be curious to find out the Ukrainian losses too.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Hard to celebrate, but I hope these losses play on Putin's mind.
I feel you. Keep mini celebrating these Ukranian victories in my head before releasing for the umpth time that it's someone's son that has been killed due to 1 man's wishes rather than them actually wanting to be there.

Droid_Repairs

I feel you. Keep mini celebrating these Ukranian victories in my head before releasing for the umpth time that it's someone's son that has been killed due to 1 man's wishes rather than them actually wanting to be there.
I hope he's held to account for them in this life. He probably won't be. At the very least, I hope his conscience keeps him up at night.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I want to feel good about this but I can only imagine how many men were killed inside it, since it was a transport plane. Such a waste of life.
Every death in this conflict is needless and tragic. Most Russian soldiers, I would imagine, are young and generally uninterested in fighting people that many of them probably have historical or family ties with. Their unfortunate parents may never learn what happened to their kids given Putin’s obsession with not publicizing his war deaths.

MDFC Manager

Every death in this conflict is needless and tragic. Most Russian soldiers, I would imagine, are young and generally uninterested in fighting people that many of them probably have historical or family ties with. Their unfortunate parents may never learn what happened to their kids given Putin’s obsession with not publicizing his war deaths.
Saw some pics of mobile crematoriums being towed along with the Russian ground forces. Presumably to dispose off the dead without a trace. Grim stuff

Classical Mechanic

This will constitute an enormous deviation if we go too far, but the first war was fought over inches on a trench-stained battlefield which came about as the result of alliance entanglment. It was the most pointless series of conflicts probably ever recorded. The second is more complex. Your average soldier is working class, is the point I'm making. All classes definitely suffered more in the second than the first because that was much closer to absolute war with cities destroyed all over the continent.
Not true for the UK. Public school boys in that era were expected to lead in the Empire and fight in wars. They were actually seen as a warrior class by some. I think the mortality rate in WW1 was higher for public school boys than for ordinary soldiers. I read a biography of Orwell and that mentions how many of his Etonian colleagues were killed in WW1 whilst he was there, it was a very high mortality rate.

https://collections.etoncollege.com/remembering-the-first-world-war-the-libro-doro/

By sheer weight of numbers more working class died of course.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

These Oligarch offspring just want to pull the ladder up.

pjaya

Hats of to the recafers here that help out the people of Ukraine

my respect to you guys

hobbers

Did no one tell the Russian military strategists that tanks are not designed for urban warfare?