Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Someone has very busy lawyers right now. Maybe time to put pressure on the Chelsea Pitch Owners.

Water Melon

Knowing Russia is planning on attacking Ukraine and knowing what Putins goals are and plans are for this are 2 completely different things. Russia have been mobilising troops around Ukraine for years it's not exactly a shot in the dark that they would eventually attack.

I just disagree with the notion that Putin has intended on taking over Ukraine by now, I don't think America is more knowledgeable about the goings on and military ability in Ukraine than Putin and the Russians. If Putin wanted Ukraine by now he'd have it. End of. There's some deeper plan or goal going on.
No, not end of. Do you know anything about Russia's military. The state it has been in for years? Do you how much their arms depend on western technology? Do you think it is that easy for Russia to conquer Ukraine? They are miniscule economically and outdated when it comes to majority of their arms. And they are bleeding money-wise like hell now.

Classical Mechanic

which is where the difference of opinion starts to show. Some people think putin and the Kremlin are masterminds.

I’m starting to see they have no strategy and are out of touch. Why send a very small team of troops to try and take lviv? Makes no sense. Russia aren’t credible strategically or tactically.
Some people seem to love the image of Putin being a Bond-esque mastermind baddy. You only have to look at the Salisbury poisoning to see how slipshod their operations are behind the scenes.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I wonder how the Russian army in Ukraine feels right now. How willing to die are they for Putin? It's hard to imagine the majority believe in this invasion.

Smithy89

Some people seem to love the image of Putin being a Bond-esque mastermind baddy. You only have to look at the Salisbury poisoning to see how slipshod their operations are behind the scenes.
It's baffling, seen people in here bigging up him and his army like they're some sort of unstoppable force and we all should sit back and be scared.

spiriticon

which is where the difference of opinion starts to show. Some people think putin and the Kremlin are masterminds.

I’m starting to see they have no strategy and are out of touch. Why send a very small team of troops to try and take lviv? Makes no sense. Russia aren’t credible strategically or tactically.
The US military are sitting there, taking notes, and probably laughing their heads off.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It won’t happen. Last nights protests were brutally stamped out and even though the anti-war sentiment is pretty popular it’s mostly petitions, open letters etc. As is the nature of any anti-war protest, it’s not very well comparable with violence while Putin & his goons are not afraid (or, rather, are happy to) inflict violence on anyone who puts their head up.
They can’t put everyone in jail though, can they? I know it is unlikely, but if there was ever to be the beginning of a revolt in Russia, surely this is the most likely moment in Putin’s Russia?

the_cliff

Well to be a leader of a country/any country in the world you'll need a few brain cells. I'm not saying Putin is the mastermind that some people say he is but even the Caf is bewildered at the fact that he's apparently expecting to invade a whole country with a few thousand 18-23 year olds. Either the West are falsifying information in claiming Russia want Ukraine or maybe it is just like he (Putin) himself said: It's just a minor military exercise in taking out certain tactical locations within Ukraine.

I, personally think it's more probable that what Putin is saying is true more than a full on invasion.

You don't run a country like Russia since 99 by thinking you can invade Ukraine with a few thousand 20-23 year olds.

UncleBob

It won’t happen. Last nights protests were brutally stamped out and even though the anti-war sentiment is pretty popular it’s mostly petitions, open letters etc. As is the nature of any anti-war protest, it’s not very well comparable with violence while Putin & his goons are not afraid (or, rather, are happy to) inflict violence on anyone who puts their head up.
It will certainly come at a hefty price, but right now Ukraine is paying a rather hefty price....A western intervention in terms of military action is a bad ida, as it will play into Putins hand and simply result in more support. One can always hope that someone in his circle sees the direction they're heading in, for no reason whatsoever, and they plot to get rid of Putin to avoid a disaster where there truly will be very few winners. Alternatively, one can always hope that the sanctions will be so harsh on everyone in Russia that he loses all support.

the_cliff

It's baffling, seen people in here bigging up him and his army like they're some sort of unstoppable force and we all should sit back and be scared.
Well that's what we seem to be doing right ?

I mean any other country on earth other than Russia/China attacks a European country they'd be bombed into oblivion within a day.

But you seem to think Russia and Putin have no power at all and we (the West) are just sitting on our thumbs because our leaders are too busy having dinner.

Nah they're shit scared as well mate.

I'm not claiming Putin is some Bond villain like people on here seem to be implying I am, but if you think that Putin and Russia are some small non-powerful military power then you've completely lost the plot and to me that's worse than 'bigging them up', underestimation.

Smithy89

Well that's what we seem to be doing right ?

I mean any other country on earth other than Russia/China attacks a European country they'd be bombed into oblivion within a day.

But you seem to think Russia and Putin have no power at all and we (the West) are just sitting on our thumbs because our leaders are too busy having dinner.

Nah they're shit scared as well mate.
I never said or indicated they had no power.

Classical Mechanic

Seems bizarre to me too, although I haven’t a clue about military stuff. We’re not three days into this and people seem to expect the Russians to be in control of all the major urban centres including the capital? Took the US something like three weeks just to get to the outskirts of Baghdad, more time then to take the city. US army being far more powerful than Russian, and Iraqi army being (I presume) in a weaker state than today’s Ukrainian army.
It's called hubris. Psychopathic strongmen dictators surrounded by yes men are prone to it.

SirAF

Ageist
Well to be a leader of a country/any country in the world you'll need a few brain cells. I'm not saying Putin is the mastermind that some people say he is but even the Caf is bewildered at the fact that he's apparently expecting to invade a whole country with a few thousand 18-23 year olds. Either the West are falsifying information in claiming Russia want Ukraine or maybe it is just like he (Putin) himself said: It's just a minor military exercise in taking out certain tactical locations within Ukraine.

I, personally think it's more probable that what Putin is saying is true more than a full on invasion.

You don't run a country like Russia since 99 by thinking you can invade Ukraine with a few thousand 20-23 year olds.
Minor military exercise my arse.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Well if the same resistance is shown after Georgia and previous incursions into Ukraine, not ti mention Syria, then we are right to be scared for the people in Ukraine.

It's not that they are unstoppable but more do we want to stop them. Do we really want to upset how interwoven they are in the financial world. There are so many compromising elements.

UncleBob

Hardly a mastermind baddy, but certainly not a complete moron either considering how long he's been in charge and the amount of shit he's done without real consequence.

UncleBob

:lol:

the_cliff

Hardly a mastermind baddy, but certainly not a complete moron either considering how long he's been in charge and the amount of shit he's done without real consequence.
Exactly.

Name me another leader that can get away with as much shit as Putin ?

But he's dumb enough to believe he can take Ukraine with what the US are insinuating.

Smithy89

Well if the same resistance is shown after Georgia and previous incursions into Ukraine, not ti mention Syria, then we are right to be scared for the people in Ukraine.

It's not that they are unstoppable but more do we want to stop them. Do we really want to upset how interwoven they are in the financial world. There are so many compromising elements.
Completely misunderstanding what i was saying, so we will leave it at that. But i never said Ukraine and their people shouldn't be fearful, that wasn't the context of what i was meaning.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@harms how true is this? I haven’t been watching Russian news as in no doubt that it will be heavily sanitised.

I have however seen video footage on VK which everyone else can see if they so wished.

Do you think the average Russian knows what’s going on the ground in Ukraine and how far Russian forces have advanced? Obviously it goes without saying that Russian media wouldn’t post even very conservative casualties sustained so no point in even asking.

Water Melon

He has done it inside of his country mainly. Crimea was lost because of Ukranian politicians at the time. This time around they have a truly democratic President and he has USA and EU behind him helping ptotect his homeland. Russia is in a deep shit and they are losing billions each and every day.

Revan

Assumptionman
I actually think that he is relatively smart but I think not very bright people can stay in power for too long.

Hitler is the best example, who was a total moron. Lukashenko is in power longer than Putin and is a total idiot. As recent as last year he was moaning that Putin promised to make him lieutenant in the Russian army, but he is still waiting for that, making the interviewer go laughing like a lunatic on how the Belarus president would become a Russian lieutenant. And Lukashenko was why not, Putin is too and I also served in Soviet army. This is a person who has been in power for 28 years.

Then we have Mao Zedung who was an absolute buffon, for example.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
@harms how true is this? I haven’t been watching Russian news as in no doubt that it will be heavily sanitised.

I have however seen video footage on VK which everyone else can see if they so wished.

Do you think the average Russian knows what’s going on the ground in Ukraine and how far Russian forces have advanced? Obviously it goes without saying that Russian media wouldn’t post even very conservative casualties sustained so no point in even asking.

Zuckerberg will capitulate to the Russian government. Mark my words.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Someone has very busy lawyers right now. Maybe time to put pressure on the Chelsea Pitch Owners.

That’s just the bubbling drink, though… the same newspaper has today a column by Marina Hyde here https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-oligarchs-london-government-putin-donations that goes deeper and shows how oligarchs have settled so well in London. I mean, it is not the moment to make an assessment of their penetration in the UK and in Europe, yet it is a point many will have to cnsider for what happens next, and their role in supporting (maybe unsupporting, from tomorrow?) mad vlad with the complicity of our elites, our parties and our nutters.

the_cliff

He has done it inside of his country mainly. Crimea was lost because of Ukranian politicians at the time. This time around they have a truly democratic President and he has USA and EU behind him helping ptotect his homeland. Russia is in a deep shit and they are losing billions each and every day.
Let's hope so.

I want to believe that Putin fecked up and miscalculated drastically. It's just he doesn't seem like the type of guy to make a move without calculating the potential repercussions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1000 Russian soldiers dying first few days is (unfortunately) better than thousands of Ukraine civilians days later. If anything is going to stop Putin then it's his people dying and masses of his people being against him and against war in general because of that. At least we can hope.
That's unlikely as well — at least not in a short-term perspective. Russian military losses are restricted — you have to literally count the graves, like journalists did when the whole post-2014 war in the Eastern Ukraine happened, to get a rough estimate.