Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

rpitchfo

Could anybody explain to me like I'm five years old why Russia has been humiliated military wise so far? My understanding is that after a few days they've taken the fight to the capital of the invaded country, which doesn't seem embarrassing.
by this point their objectives would have been to be control of at least 5 major cities and have the capital wrapped up.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Could anybody explain to me like I'm five years old why Russia has been humiliated military wise so far? My understanding is that after a few days they've taken the fight to the capital of the invaded country, which doesn't seem embarrassing.
Just ignore the "Russia is humiliated" narrative. We as outsiders do not know the facts yet and Russians have been bypassing areas to advance quickly. And with that being said, Ukraine is not exactly a pushover either so casualties are to be expected.

Revan

Assumptionman
The capital is very near their border though. So far, Kyiv has been a total disaster for them, and while I expect Ukraine’s numbers to be exaggerated, it is quite possible that the Russian casualties has reach a thousand.

I think that Russia will win, but as expected by the West, there will be a high price.

From Putin’s speech, it seemed that he expected this to end immediately. Which does not seem to be the case.

the hea

Were the Ukrainians doing well in the conflict is encouraging, you have to think Russia will start sending in missiles if this humiliation continues, which would be horrible for civilian casualties.
Missiles was the first thing they sent in, they have been launching ballistic and cruise missiles at Ukrainian targets since the first night. The thing we should really fear is if they start shelling the cities with thermobaric munition that will cause massive suffering to civilians in those cities

WPMUFC

There current tactics are throw men and hardware at a wall until the numbers eventually overwhelm. The current problem is that it leaves massive columns vulnerable and just look at the quality of soldiers captured, kids.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
by this point their objectives would have been to be control of at least 5 major cities and have the capital wrapped up.
How do you know that? I feel like some are far too optimistic at this stage and start to fall to our side of propaganda. He didn't throw a lot at the Ukraine, yet, to my understanding.

This is even better with translation:

Doesn't look good for the Russian military logistics to be having multiple tanks and equipment breaking down and running out of fuel this early on.

It looks like all the intelligence about the poor state of the military is true.

Classical Mechanic

They haven't achieved their first day objectives yet. Humiliated is over the top though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That civilian offering a ride back to Russia. :lol: I really wonder what goes through the minds of these Russian troops.
I don't take any joy in hearing about Russian casualties because their soldiers are just there because they've been told to be there and as that video shows are probably as confused as everyone else. They have no reason to harbour any hostility to Ukrainian people although that will obviously change once they start getting shot at.

It's a bit weird seeing people celebrate human casualty. However this turns out no one is going to win.

Revan

Assumptionman
How do you know that? I feel like some are far too optimistic at this stage and start to fall to our side of propaganda. He didn't throw a lot at the Ukraine, yet, to my understanding.
Estimations are that he has thrown so far 1/3 to 1/2 of Russian troops near the border at it.

Also, China not voting against UN resolution could be China just being China, or could be Xi not really wanting to help Russia economically over this (or increasing their price).

rpitchfo

Im not optimistic in the sense that I think Ukraine can win in the short term. But there have been multiple intelligence community briefing of what russias plans are and they are slower than expected.

Deery

Dreary
Just ignore the "Russia is humiliated" narrative. We as outsiders do not know the facts yet and Russians have been bypassing areas to advance quickly. And with that being said, Ukraine is not exactly a pushover either so casualties are to be expected.
From a military stand point it is pretty embarrassing to lose so many soldiers and vehicles so early in a conflict, in one they implied they would easily take over.

Intelligence reports said they had numerous objectives for day 1 of the invasion and so far on day 3 they haven't achieved any of them, and losses have been far higher than expected.

They are on the outskirts of the capital, not in it (aside from a few special forces groups), which is impressive until you realise the border they are coming from is also practically on the outskirts of the capital. They haven't advanced far at all.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't take any joy in hearing about Russian casualties because their soldiers are just there because they've been told to be there and as that video shows are probably as confused as everyone else. They have no reason to harbour any hostility to Ukrainian people although that will obviously change once they start getting shot at.

It's a bit weird seeing people celebrate human casualty. However this turns out no one is going to win.
I don’t think people are happy that 18 years old soldiers are dying. It just that by wanting Ukraine to win this war, it explicitly involves Russian soldiers dying there. On mass.

And well, in a conflict between an aggressor and someone defending for their own survival, I know whose side I pick.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Does he imply that it’s a misdirected Ukrainian missile? Or a Russian mobile air-defense missile of sorts? I’m shit at a military side of the stuff.
I can’t say with certainty myself. People in the comment section can’t be positively sure either.

the_cliff

Again: how do you know his time schedule and true objectives?
They don't, it's all guesswork. That's also assuming the figures given by Ukraine are true. Russia haven't used 1/3 of their army that is placed on the borders yet and by most accounts the majority of the current force inside Ukraine is born in the early 2000s.

Deery

Dreary
Missiles was the first thing they sent in, they have been launching ballistic and cruise missiles at Ukrainian targets since the first night. The thing we should really fear is if they start shelling the cities with thermobaric munition that will cause massive suffering to civilians in those cities
That’s what I mean, sending in mortars and shells indiscriminately. Carpet bombing is that the name for it?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yeah, it's basic wartime propaganda to boost moral. To be really honest, the only reason why Russia is struggling is that they are (thanks god) trying to limit civilian casualties for the time being so they can go full berserk and drop hundreds of thousands of bombs on cities.

I'm afraid that it might get dirtier if they struggle of bit too much for Putin's taste. Images of devastated ukrainien cities wouldn't look good for him at all though, even in russia.

rpitchfo

They don't, it's all guesswork. That's also assuming the figures given by Ukraine are true. Russia haven't used 1/3 of their army that is placed on the borders yet and by most accounts the majority of the current force inside Ukraine is born in the early 2000s.
its not guesswork to have faith in intelligence briefings that have been spot on so far. Have some insight. I’m not giving a personal opinion on that.

Classical Mechanic

It's not guesswork. Intelligence agencies have sophisticated surveillance equipment, double agents that leak information etc.

Does he imply that it’s a misdirected Ukrainian missile? Or a Russian mobile air-defense missile of sorts? I’m shit at a military side of the stuff.
Not sure but that missile looked rocket powered, so possibly an air defence missile or rocket that could have come from either side. A ballistic missile is unpowered by that point in its flight and a cruise missile is usually jet powered and doesn't leave a trail like that.

Last edited:

Water Melon

I don't like this either, but playing with armageddon isn't something to be taken lightly. Open NATO intel and involvement is, well, another step towards escalation, right.
Yes, NATO have been involved and are not hiding that. They are supplying arms that will defend Ukraine but KILL Russian soldiers. Just as Belarus are doing for Russia. It is escalation, but NATO are not idiots and they are humane unlike Putler. They know that if they do not intervene to certain extent, the crazy cnut will inflict bigger pain and losses long-term.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

1000 Russian soldiers dying first few days is (unfortunately) better than thousands of Ukraine civilians days later. If anything is going to stop Putin then it's his people dying and masses of his people being against him and against war in general because of that. At least we can hope.

the_cliff

its not guesswork to have faith in intelligence briefings that have been spot on so far. Have some insight. I’m not giving a personal opinion on that.
Knowing Russia is planning on attacking Ukraine and knowing what Putins goals are and plans are for this are 2 completely different things. Russia have been mobilising troops around Ukraine for years it's not exactly a shot in the dark that they would eventually attack.

I just disagree with the notion that Putin has intended on taking over Ukraine by now, I don't think America is more knowledgeable about the goings on and military ability in Ukraine than Putin and the Russians. If Putin wanted Ukraine by now he'd have it. End of. There's some deeper plan or goal going on.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Seems bizarre to me too, although I haven’t a clue about military stuff. We’re not three days into this and people seem to expect the Russians to be in control of all the major urban centres including the capital? Took the US something like three weeks just to get to the outskirts of Baghdad, more time then to take the city. US army being far more powerful than Russian, and Iraqi army being (I presume) in a weaker state than today’s Ukrainian army.

rpitchfo

Knowing Russia is planning on attacking Ukraine and knowing what Putins goals are and plans are for this are 2 completely different things. Russia have been mobilising troops around Ukraine for years it's not exactly a shot in the dark that they would eventually attack.

I just disagree with the notion that Putin has intended on taking over Ukraine by now, I don't think America is more knowledgeable about the goings on and military ability in Ukraine than Putin and the Russians. If Putin wanted Ukraine by now he'd have it. End of. There's some deeper plan or goal going on.
which is where the difference of opinion starts to show. Some people think putin and the Kremlin are masterminds.

I’m starting to see they have no strategy and are out of touch. Why send a very small team of troops to try and take lviv? Makes no sense. Russia aren’t credible strategically or tactically.

Smithy89

Not sure why some are putting Putin on some godlike pedestal, he's a big bully boy.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
1000 Russian soldiers dying first few days is (unfortunately) better than thousands of Ukraine civilians days later. If anything is going to stop Putin then it's his people dying and masses of his people being against him and against war in general because of that. At least we can hope.
I don't think that Putin cares much about his soldiers dying and he controls most of the media in Russa so it's likely he'll water down the casualties. The likely outcome is thousands of Russian soldiers dying, then thousands of ukraine civilians.

Revan

Assumptionman
which is where the difference of opinion starts to show. Some people think putin and the Kremlin are masterminds.

I’m starting to see they have no strategy and are out of touch. Why send a very small team of troops to try and take lviv? Makes no sense. Russia aren’t credible strategically or tactically.
I guess taking Lviv makes sense cause it might be the fall back option of Ukrainian government when Kyiv falls.