Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Giggsyking

You are very likely wrong here mate. They neither have economy nor smooth logistics enough to keep it up as now for months. They can of course be desperate and step up bombardements from distance, but I’m not 100% sure the international society will sit still and watch a maniac destroy a country and massacre civilians. So I think Putin depend a lot on ground forces doing their job, but in my opinion ground forces wouldn’t win this war as long as Ukrainians have the will to fight.
The international society is more than capable of tuning the eye away from atrocities, just look at Yemen.

UncleBob

Do you mean another bloody war, rise of terrorism etc.? I’m trying to get your point.
Doubt he's interested in turning this into another Grozny, but if someone asked a few months ago if a full scale invasion of Ukraine was on the steps they'd probably doubt that as well. Either way it seems unlikely that he'll back off without achieving something that resembles a win, and right now that would mean more troops towards Kiev, which will result in more violence.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
These Ukrainian people are fecking warriors.
Can you imagine if this was happening in Britain? Your James Delingpole, Laurence Fox and James Melville characters would be arguing that you can’t force them to wield a weapon and fight and we could easily learn to live under Putin.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Russian propaganda still claiming they're not hitting civilian buildings. Just like how they never targeted hospitals in Syria.
Civilian injuries and casualties are propably a lot worse than the official Ukrainian numbers too.

I put this in a spoiler, due to the nature of the picture in tweet (seems stupid with "spoiler" but then people are warned there is blood in picture so better this way):

Enigma_87

You know who
Mentioned yesterday the Ukrainian folks who built my house last year went back to fight Russians the very minute it started, basically dropped everything and jumped into their cars. Those guys are some of the most awesome, honest, hard working people I’ve ever met. Thousands are giving up on their comfortable life in Poland to go back and protect their land and people.
The sad thing is that Ukrainian people have not been a hostile country (at least from my memory) and the wars they are involved were only to defend their own territory.

Putin has instilled separatists in the last 8 years, kept crippling their economy and now this..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Poland have said they will not play their World Cup playoff against Russia and are in discussion with other football federation to do the same. That will throw the World Cup into chaos.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Poland have said they will not play their World Cup playoff against Russia and are in discussion with other football federation to do the same. That will throw the World Cup into chaos.
I know it's war-related and your intentions will most likely be absolutely positive, but who gives a flying feck about that shitty world cup at the moment
no offense meant, hope none is taken either

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Yeah of course it's not as good as the ones you mentioned but better than 90% of those currently in NATO. There are handful of countries that are better militarized.

Ukraine's problem is that they are completely alone in terms of military backing and power.
They did call for outsiders to come to ukraine and fight beside them, some will propably do that, though it will not help much. And the president of Ukraine says weapons and equipment is on the way to Ukraine, so some nations are now starting to help more at least.

UncleBob

Which is all rather funny in terms of all the stuff about actually having the World Cup in Qatar.

Wonder what FIFA will do, forcing them to throw out Russia won't be easy

Zen86

And everyone knows what happened after.

Looks like Russia is going for high risk high reward. Perhaps wanting to show how easy it is to take Ukraine, or perhaps it's concerns about consequences if this isn't sorted out quickly.
Maybe Putin has gone full Hitler and taken over military strategy himself.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Be interesting to see FIFA's response. Giving Russia a bye if Poland refuse to play would presumably see a huge chunk of qualified nations drop out. This would not be insignificant, particularly after Russia hosted in 2018/really cozied up with FIFA.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Be interesting to see FIFA's response. Giving Russia a bye if Poland refuse to play would presumably see a huge chunk of qualified nations drop out. This would not be insignificant, particularly after Russia hosted in 2018/really cozied up with FIFA.
Just heard it on Talksport, they said Poland should not have been put in this situation. FIFA should have been making the decision.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Our decision has nothing to do with history. There is no guarantee of protection from the west in case of an attack after what Ukraine is going through. We are doing what other countries are also doing, protecting our interest, while maintaining a distance from both NATO and russia. Btw, can anyone explain why russia was allowed to vote when the allegations are against them?
I’m sure that this has already been answered but it’s because Russia are one of the ‘big 5’ founding members of NATO

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just heard it on Talksport, they said Poland should not have been put in this situation. FIFA should have been making the decision.
As Tom Peck and Barney Ronay wrote in their articles yesterday, unfortunately it is entirely predictable that footballers and individual clubs will have to be the ones to make the call as the blazerati won’t.

WPMUFC

OSINT military advisers claim Russia lost a bridge building company and considering the state of the losses it could be a whole engineering battalion.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
This a war for survival. Be under no illusion that 'normal' wishful thinking applies.

I disagree with this and would try to get out ASAP but anyone expecting anything else would be naive.

The most annoying thing is how it's men only but that's just typical.
I think that might have something to do with rape by opposition forces. Not that I'm saying that men can't get raped, but it's a historical weapon of invading forces to rape the woman populous and impregnate them.

Enigma_87

You know who
They did call for outsiders to come to ukraine and fight beside them, some will propably do that, though it will not help much. And the president of Ukraine says weapons and equipment is on the way to Ukraine, so some nations are now starting to help more at least.
I meant setting foot out there in Ukrane, as just sending weapons and equipment whilst it helps is not decisive. And with time passing by and Russia advancing most of those supplies most likely will be captured.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Time to impose a no fly zone over Kyiv/western Ukraine. Putin isn’t blowing up the world just because he can’t have air superiority over a foreign country ffs.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Time to impose a no fly zone over Kyiv/western Ukraine. Putin isn’t blowing up the world just because he can’t have air superiority over a foreign country ffs.
you sure you want to test him?