Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
There can be only one response to use of Nukes.
Chilling as it is
The problem for NATO with a tactical nuke used inside Ukraine, if that were to happen, is that Ukraine is not part of NATO. Moreover, Putin would probably tell lies - either denying the fact, or claiming that NATO has smuggled in the nuke and detonated it in order to blacken Russia's name.

It's hard to know, but my guess is that NATO would not respond militarily by sending forces into Ukraine - because WWWIII would likely be the result. I hope this guess is correct.

An attack on a NATO member is a whole different kettle of fish.

BlueHaze

The problem for NATO with a tactical nuke used inside Ukraine, if that were to happen, is that Ukraine is not part of NATO. Moreover, Putin would probably tell lies - either denying the fact, or claiming that NATO has smuggled in the nuke and detonated it in order to blacken Russia's name.

It's hard to know, but my guess is that NATO would not respond militarily by sending forces into Ukraine - because WWWIII would likely be the result. I hope this guess is correct.

An attack on a NATO member is a whole different kettle of fish.
But the thing is the moment Nukes are sent WW3 has already begun.

Them not being a NATO member would mean nothing in that scenario I believe.

youmeletsfly

@GlastonSpur We all know what the answer is if Putin sent Nukes. It would be swift retaliation and not much would be left of this planet to be quite frank.
The moment he launches a nuke all the western world will hunt him and he'll have less than 24 hours till he dies.

Given today's nuke power, not even the most crazy ass idiots will start a nuke war. Putin will launch the nuke, but won't live to see it's effects. That's the only way to stop a nuke war, you kill the idiot that has them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think he's going anywhere any soon and rest assured if he would be removed he would take the world with him before leaving.
That's why he would be removed by internal means to where he wouldn't have the ability to do any of that.

BlueHaze

The moment he launches a nuke all the western world will hunt him and he'll have less than 24 hours till he dies.

Given today's nuke power, not even the most crazy ass idiots will start a nuke war. Putin will launch the nuke, but won't live to see it's effects. That's the only way to stop a nuke war, you kill the idiot that has them.
In 24 hours the cnut could obliterate the entire west if he wanted to but on the other hand Russia would also within 24 hours be gone.

BlueHaze

That's why he would be removed by internal means to where he wouldn't have the ability to do any of that.
But I just cannot imagine how that would practically be possible unless someone actually kills him.

Water Melon

Macron's humiliation continues.
Exactly. I wonder if he is just doing that deliberately to look as a main negotiator, who may end this bloody invasion? Does he believe that French population like that?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

How would be hunted down? Are you suggesting that an SAS team could be somehow be smuggled into into Moscow and then somehow be able to penetrate inside the Kremlin and kill him? If so, that's fanciful in the extreme.

Smores

The US probably see it that way given how everything is so posture focused but Macron is doing the right thing. Whether it's futile or not diplomacy and talks have to be attempted, it takes a better politician willing to do it than those who hide in case it backfires on them politically.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Exactly. I wonder if he is just doing that deliberately to look as a main negotiator, who may end this bloody invasion? Does he believe that French population like that?
I once that he was a badass. Now I just think he's bad (and not in the Michael Jackson sense).

He can't help himself from wanting to be a modern day Chamberlain.

spiriticon

You can force them to go in, but you can't force them to fight. They would more likely down arms and provide humanitarian aid for the people.

But it's rubbish news anyway. No way Russia does that. It does not make any sense.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The US probably see it that way given how everything is so posture focused but Macron is doing the right thing. Whether it's futile or not diplomacy and talks have to be attempted, it takes a better politician willing to do it than those who hide in case it backfires on them politically.
Talks can happen, but Macron is powerless and is only being used by Putin to flog the facade that he is amenable to diplomacy, all the while he continues to escalate his campaign on civilians. Every chapter involving Putin includes a useful idiot, and Macros appears hellbent on auditioning for the role in this episode.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I mean, really? People in Europe do not want war, if the idiot in the Kremlin can talk to someone, it's better than him being completely isolated with no insight on what he's saying/looking for.

Also, this is a way to show the world he's unreasonable. As Zelensky said, I'll try but I expect nothing.

MTF

I do not think that he is doing anything wrong, to be fair.
Me neither. He serves as an alternative channel of communication. Speaking to Biden will only come if there's a real possibility of some sort of agreement, while Putin won't be entertaining calls with Blinken or Burns (CIA Director, former ambassador to Russia) all the time simply because they're not heads of state. But Macron is head of state so Putin will speak to him. As long as Macron isn't coming out of the conversations and pitching to the rest of NATO that he has a deal that turns out to be a sham, nor is he offering concessions that the rest of NATO isn't willing to abide by, then there is still the possibility that in these conversations with Macron the beginnings of a deal can start to be formed if Putin ever becomes convinced that he needs one. Plus it allows NATO to continuously assess Putin's tone and anything that can be derived from that.

RedDevilQuebecois

I do not think that he is doing anything wrong, to be fair.
In fact, he's what Neville Chamberlain would look like if he did not step down and still continued to deny the dark reality in front. No wonder why History is not kind to him while it has lauded the man who came after him as Prime Minister.

youmeletsfly

How would be hunted down? Are you suggesting that an SAS team could be somehow be smuggled into into Moscow and then somehow be able to penetrate inside the Kremlin and kill him? If so, that's fanciful in the extreme.
When weapons that can destroy a planet are being used, assassinating him or bombing the feck out of Kremlin until it's a 300 meter hole is not even close to being fanciful.
What's the other way, send nukes all over the world? This is not a game or a movie.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah, it's absolutely brutal. Our economy was shit in the first place but what had happened over the past few days was nothing short of catastrophic — and it's only the beginning. Since we'll obviously going to see more and more consequences in the next few weeks & months. By all projections if nothing changes we're going to drop back to the early 90's level — and, considering that "do you want back to the 90's" was one of Putin's most effective counter-arguments to any critique of his internal policy it'll probably cause a huge reaction... in a bit though. People need to feel long-term consequences, right now what we see can be written off by some (who don't really understand more global economical processes) as a panic reaction.
Sounds shit. Unfortunately war and consequences impact on a lot of people who don’t deserve it.

Look after yourself.