Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Pretty much the opposite vis à vis the ground, they waited too long to invade. They needed frozen ground for their mechanized divisions. That’s why we’ve seen pics of stuck weaponry in the mud. I wouldn’t be surprised if the soft conditions have hampered the infamous stuck convoy. Temps have been temperate, but that helps both sides.
But as it is March now, the conditions could be a lot worse at this time of year. Winter has advantages for the hard ground, but troops would be exposed to harsh cold.

Which might have been the plan all along. Despite the news narrative.
I don’t think it was plan A, but was certainly always likely the plan B.

rhajdu

That is actually not true at all. I was also surprised by the U-turn, but they had to react quickly as we will have an election in 2 weeks. I also do not expect that it will change after the election as Orban is pragmatic and there is hardly any reason to side with Putin. I am actually proud of our efforts in these times, because we took care of about 500 000 refugees so far and sending further support to Zakarpattia Oblast. The second biggest city in Hungary is Debrecen with 200 000 citizens, just for comparison.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
One thing that I have not seen mentioned is how lucky Russia have got with the weather. Global warming is making Spring all over Europe much warmer than it used to be, but there’s been so little rain or snow to soften the ground and demoralise the troops further. They have almost had the perfect weather so far.
But have we not been seeing and reading about Russian armoured vehicles being stuck in the mud?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But have we not been seeing and reading about Russian armoured vehicles being stuck in the mud?
We have. But it could have been much worse, especially in the South. All those stuck in the mud appeared to be on the Northern front.

Pintu

That is actually not true at all. I was also surprised by the U-turn, but they had to react quickly as we will have an election in 2 weeks. I also do not expect that it will change after the election as Orban is pragmatic and there is hardly any reason to side with Putin. I am actually proud of our efforts in these times, because we took care of about 500 000 refugees so far and sending further support to Zakarpattia Oblast. The second biggest city in Hungary is Debrecen with 200 000 citizens, just for comparison.
They quoted Atlatszo. And when I looked I found this which corroborate the claims, at least for the first week of the war.

Then again I totally agree with your analysis. Orban is not stupid. He will side with the West and respect EU’s decisions. He will have to do it wholeheartedly, at least out of pragmatism.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd imagine Orban and Fidesz have to walk a tightrope between being being somewhat friendly with Putin and NATO membership obligations. If it looks like Putin is losing, Orban will be incentivized to be more vocal against the invasion imo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One of the tasty subplots in all of this is how the Klingons of the Russian Federation (Kadyrov and Co) have been farcically ineffective in living up to the tough guy image they've promoted over the years.

Last edited:

rhajdu

They quoted Atlatszo. And when I looked I found this which corroborate the claims, at least for the first week of the war.

Then again I totally agree with your analysis. Orban is not stupid. He will side with the West and respect EU’s decisions. He will have to do it wholeheartedly, at least out of pragmatism.
That's a good source. It couldn't be easy to make such a U-turn and in the first few days there were some other voices, but they quickly decided which is the right way to communicate before the election. I quicky checked the article and I can imagine that the "experts" who were making comments are truly siding with Russia, but they haven't got any airtime since then (if I'm not mistaken).

rhajdu

I'd imagine Orban and Fidesz have to walk a tightrope between being being somewhat friendly with Putin and NATO membership obligations. If it looks like Putin is losing, Orban will be incentivized to be more vocal against the invasion imo.
We have an election in two weeks, so Orban and Fidesz had to quickly distance themselves from Putin, but the people are not completely stupid which made it a bit difficult. I don't think that there is any way back to Putin, so Orban and co must restore the relationship with the European Union.

The tricky situation is that we are completely reliant on the Russian gas - among other things -, and I don't know how much reserve we have, but our industry would basically stop once it runs out. As a consequence, our currency plummeted really quickly in the first few days and there was already high inflation in the country.

RedDevilQuebecois

One of the tasty subplots in all of this is how the Klingons of the Russian Federation (Kadyrov and Co) have been farcically ineffective in living up to the tough guy image they've promoted over the years.
I always felt they look like Remans inside the Romulan Empire though. Remans are a race of slaves of the Romulan Empire from the neighboring planet Remus, used as miners and cannon fodder.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I always felt they look like Remans inside the Romulan Empire though. Remans are a race of slaves of the Romulan Empire from the neighboring planet Remus, used as miners and cannon fodder.
Yeah could be. I always thought of the Klingons as the most neaderthalish of all Trek characters, which is why Kadyrov reminded me of them.

Simbo

Russian "negotiators" still not taking things seriously, "mediators" trying to show they are actually doing something.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Changing street names? What?
This is likely part of the "denazification" Russia demands. Rename streets named after people who are considered Nazis makes absolutely sense. This is a bit aftermath of WW2 when the German Wehrmacht liberated Ukraine from the Soviet Union (not everyone saw it that way, but there was a huge amount of Ukrainians siding with the Nazis).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Still blows my mind this is actually happening.

Netflix just started carrying Zelinskyy's TV show from just before his political career a few days ago. Watched the first episode where he improbably wins the Presidency. Just surreal to think its the same guy we're seeing here throughout all of this.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Netflix just started carrying Zelinskyy's TV show from just before his political career a few days ago. Watched the first episode where he improbably wins the Presidency. Just surreal to think its the same guy we're seeing here throughout all of this.
"Truth is stranger than fiction". I think this quote applies here. We're witnessing surreal events.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It turns out that Russia is only opening its stock market tomorrow in relation to federal loan bonds, and not anything else such as company shares, because they fear what will otherwise happen and have no other means of of stopping it.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don’t think it was plan A, but was certainly always likely the plan B.
I was listening to a lecture from 2015, that says that could only ever be the plan because of the Western Ukraine's European focus. That it was common knowledge that invasion and occupation was beyond Russia, and any invasion would just be about wrecking the place and causing a refugee problem and then just retreating, with a, 'you can have it then'. At which point the west would say, no thanks.

The lecturer said that Ukraine was strategically crucial for Russia but a free hit for the west. So stir it up but never commit to it. Had it been from last week and not 2015 I would have been more skeptical.

Edit - link added

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I was listening to a lecture from 2015, that says that could only ever be the plan because of the Western Ukraine's European focus. That it was common knowledge that invasion and occupation was beyond Russia, and any invasion would just be about wrecking the place and causing a refugee problem and then just retreating, with a, 'you can have it then'. At which point the west would say, no thanks.

The lecturer said that Ukraine was strategically crucial for Russia but a free hit for the west. So stir it up but never commit to it. Had it been from last week and not 2015 I would have been more skeptical.
I don't think the "no thanks" part is correct, though. This has created such an amount of sympathy that I'm sure Ukraine will get into the EU if they want to. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in Nato soon either, no matter what any agreement with Russia says. Russia has repeatedly proven that they don't honour agreements, so no one should feel obliged to honour them either.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We have an election in two weeks, so Orban and Fidesz had to quickly distance themselves from Putin, but the people are not completely stupid which made it a bit difficult. I don't think that there is any way back to Putin, so Orban and co must restore the relationship with the European Union.

The tricky situation is that we are completely reliant on the Russian gas - among other things -, and I don't know how much reserve we have, but our industry would basically stop once it runs out. As a consequence, our currency plummeted really quickly in the first few days and there was already high inflation in the country.

Yeah, you are 100% reliant on Russia for gas I read. What's the long term guesses on that in your press?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don't think the "no thanks" part is correct, though. This has created such an amount of sympathy that I'm sure Ukraine will get into the EU if they want to. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in Nato soon either, no matter what any agreement with Russia says. Russia has repeatedly proven that they don't honour agreements, so no one should feel obliged to honour them either.
Ah yeah, I don't think anyone foresaw the unity that has been seen around Ukraine. That has to have an effect you'd think.

Edit - I was lazily paraphrasing, added the link to YouTube version above. I'm not linking to the lefty podcast I heard it on.

Last edited:

Pintu

Yeah, you are 100% reliant on Russia for gas I read. What's the long term guesses on that in your press?
I think they are just going to get rid of it slowly like the other EU countries. The plan of EU right is to reduce that percentage quickly and end it by 2027.

There is not enough on the market to do it sooner.

Suedesi

Let's get real, Russia is a country with a smaller economy than New York state, in a total demographic death spiral, that doesn't make/produce anything worthwhile and that wouldn't really matter if it weren't for nat gas and all the deals our German friends have been making with them..., yet we have been treating them as an existential threat since WWII... Hope they can feck off back to obscurity once again.