Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Moskva confirmed by RU MOD to have suffered serious damage :devil:

But of course they don't mention any missile strikes - that would be too damaging an image for their propaganda to accept - and will probably end up blaming some crew member for carelessly tossing away a lit cigarette.

It says a lot for the terrible state of the Russian military that a prize flagship that supposedly has multi-layered defence systems has been taken down by two land-based missiles, both of which apparently hit.

Carolina Red

Staff
Main armament of the Moskva are anti-ship missiles with (optionally) nuclear warheads. So yes, firing them at a carrier group would definitely destroy a whole carrier group. Conventional warheads would at least ensure heavy damage to the core of the group.
Assuming they’re attacking a US carrier group, Aegis would have something to say about all that.

Rajma

People are saying that this ship was basically patrolling the air and protecting other ships in black sea as well which are now very suspect to the attacks I take?

spiriticon

But of course they don't mention any missile strikes - that would be too damaging an image for their propaganda to accept - and will probably end up blaming some crew member for carelessly tossing away a lit cigarette.

It says a lot for the terrible state of the Russian military that a prize flagship that supposedly has multi-layered defence systems has been taken down by two land-based missiles, both of which apparently hit.
I think the Ukrainians already used that one when the Belgorod fuel depot went up in smoke :D

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Assuming they’re attacking a US carrier group, Aegis would have something to say about all that.
Let's just say my trust in the defense systems of US carriers is limited since I know someone who sunk one (at least could have done so, it was simulated during an exercise) :lol:

But I admit that Aegis isn't part of the defense against submarines, so that wasn't at fault there.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I pity the guy that has to tell Putin the bad news about his flagship.

Carolina Red

Staff
Let's just say my trust in the defense systems of US carriers is limited since I know someone who sunk one (at least could have done so, it was simulated during an exercise) :lol:

But I admit that Aegis isn't part of the defense against submarines, so that wasn't at fault there.
Yeah missiles coming through the air are a little different than a Swedish diesel sub using a sonar silent engine and covered with a sonar absorbing coating and electromagnets sneaking around.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from any movie (minus the successful mission done by the USS Indianapolis):

Last edited:

LDUred

Russians claiming there are no casualities (all 500 of the crew evacuated) and that it was caused by an onboard fire that triggered an ammunition explosion.

How they can even know that there are zero casualties at this stage is ridiculous. The usual BS, basically.

MadMike

This assumes that some or all of the missiles are not destroyed mid-flight. A carrier group does have defences.
And a carrier group has an absolute feck ton of defences (not to speak of offensive capability), which is why one has not been sunk before. Last time US lost a carrier was during WW2 against the Japanese. And it hasn't been for lack of trying. Meanwhile this carrier-killer seems to have been killed by a couple of subsonic, land-based, anti-ship missiles based on 80s Soviet tech from a country with no navy. The absolute shambles.

The only way a single missile cruiser could sink a carrier group is in target practice.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The looks on the faces of the other panellists whilst she says this:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
That's not the Moskva. In any case, how would the Ukrainians have a video from a nearby ship?

It's apparently a video of a Norwegian Navy Test Missile Strike:

After watching it a few times, I started having doubts, namely the sound of the explosion being immediate. I deleted it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
After watching it a few times, I started having doubts, namely the sound of the explosion being immediate. I deleted it.
OK. Also, from the video of the Norwegian test as compared to the other video, we can hear the same sound of the engine of the ship that's doing the filming, plus the very same sound of the explosion.

Simbo

Another point about that Norweigian ship clip - Any tweet that claims Andriy Biletsky as the "Azov Leader" is pure propaganda. He was one of the founders of the unit who has far-right views and is therefore constantly used by Russian disinfo ops for their Nazi nonsense. He left the Azov Battalion in 2014 as it was transformed to a regular National Guard unit.

Blodssvik

Another point about that Norweigian ship clip - Any tweet that claims Andriy Biletsky as the "Azov Leader" is pure propaganda. He was one of the founders of the unit who has far-right views and is therefore constantly used by Russian disinfo ops for their Nazi nonsense. He left the Azov Battalion in 2014 as it was transformed to a regular National Guard unit.
The tweet did say founder though, not leader.