Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RoyH1

They were doing a good job behind the scenes before the war, causing havoc internally. Without the war, maybe Le Pen would've given Macron more of a run for his money, have Trump pushed again in couple of years time, Nord stream 2 would've tightened the screw around german balls. Fruits of Putins 20+ year reign are being undone in a matter of months, perhaps, he was always going for this endgame, and now just felt with himself getting on, his time to seize glory was running out, and he didn't want the next guy taking all the credit.
Exactly. The efforts of the Putin regime in undermining the West were pretty successful. His Trojan horse Orban was building up a pretty solid alliance inside the EU which was undermining it from inside. Nato was in the doldrums after the Afghanistan retreat. Populist parties in the West backed by RT and the troll farms were being pretty successful.

All that undone in a couple of months. And he's making Russia weaker than it's been in more than a century.

the_cliff

So... anyone know why the Ruble is the best performing currency of the year so far ? Despite the sanctions ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just for incompetence, or are they a political threat as well?
Someone as high up as Gerasimov would represent a coup threat if he and a few other top generals were to attempt something. If one were to happen, it would probably come from the military.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Someone as high up as Gerasimov would represent a coup threat if he and a few other top generals were to attempt something. If one were to happen, it would probably come from the military.
Well yes, I was wondering if anyone thought that might have been imminent. Stupid question really, I guess we will only know if a strong coup attempt takes place, and if unsuccessful perhaps not even then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well yes, I was wondering if anyone thought that might have been imminent. Stupid question really, I guess we will only know if a strong coup attempt takes place, and if unsuccessful perhaps not even then.
I doubt it would be (but you never know). It would appear more likely Putin is just incredibly paranoid of a coup and is preemptively kneecapping those who he thinks may one day try to move on him. That's the high level guys only. As for the mid tier Generals, he is probably just removing them due to incompetence.

Simbo

WTF even is that launch platform.

Anyway, Russians in Ukraine are truely fecked. I mean they were already, but this is the sort of systems that can cut things really short, if UA have many of them at their disposal.

frostbite

So... anyone know why the Ruble is the best performing currency of the year so far ? Despite the sanctions ?
This has been answered many times. Their banks have strict capital controls. Which means that most people cannot give rubles to the bank to get dollars, but they can give dollars to get rubles, so the value of the ruble stays high. The same was happening during the Soviet Union, the value of the ruble was very high, but it wasn't a desirable currency, since you could not easily exchange it for dollars or any other western currency.

frostbite

:lol::lol::lol:
Someone's gonna photoshop that head on a turtle.

I don't think Hitler ever went that far except for the aftermath of the 20 July plot.
Stalin has gone further. He killed many generals and lieutenants during the 1930s. And again during WW2 and right after WW2. I guess Stalin is Putin's idol.

Last edited:

The United

This has been answered many times. Their banks have strict capital controls. Which means that most people cannot give rubles to the bank to get dollars, but they can give dollars to get rubles, so the value of the ruble stays high. The same was happening during the Soviet Union, the value of the ruble was very high, but it wasn't a desirable currency, since you could not easily exchange it for dollars or any other western currency.
Watch them asking that question again in a couple of weeks.

The United

In fairness, not everyone reads every page of this very long thread, so we are going to get a few questions like this from time to time.
Not exactly. Some keep asking that to intend to validate their opinion (rightly or wrongly) that the western sanctions do not hurt Russia as much as the west hopes for.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, both her and Greenwald will basically go to whichever platform gives them a voice. The lofty principles and ideas they frequently espouse in their commentary are disposable when it comes to previous air time that allows them to remain relevant before any audience. Dave Rubin is another.
Greenwald is easily one of the most sincere voice in mainstream media and a brace whistleblower at the same time. If he believes peace talks should circumvent the death count it's coming from a genuine place whether that's actually correct or not. Comparing him to Dave Rubin is beyond asinine.

To this day he still comes on small subscription lefty podcasts to have genuine open ended discussions and help aspiring youtubers launch themselves.

JuriM

Heavy fighting at Azovstal been going on all day today, whether the forces there decided to go for last push or something is changing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not exactly. Some keep asking that to intend to validate their opinion (rightly or wrongly) that the western sanctions do not hurt Russia as much as the west hopes for.
If it was the same guy repeatedly asking the same question then I would agree. I thought those asking have been different posters.

nimic

something nice
Scout
If it was the same guy repeatedly asking the same question then I would agree. I thought those asking have been different posters.
In this case, he might be on to something.

So the Ruble is back to pre invasion levels, what's up with the sanctions ?
On the other hand, they might be genuine questions?

Edit: Judging by their other posts, maybe not.

Mihai

Not necessarily related to this thread, but people on twitter tend to do this a lot. It's basically one of the first replies to any tweet about sanctions.