Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

DT12

Supports
Everton
Biden is quite terrible. Imagine how bad the other candidate was if he lost to freakin Joe Biden!

I used to be a fan of Biden but it really is turning out to just be "better than Trump" and nothing else. Donating a further billion to the war when shit is hitting the fan here is none sense. Just controlled by military economy.
Just to be clear about this underlined point, what Biden announced earlier this week isn't a "further billion", it's dipping into the 40 billion dollars that Congress approved last month (I swear to God more misconceptions have been made about this vaunted "40 billion to Ukraine!" than anything else in this war). They - the Pentagon and the State Department - are being careful and deliberate with it because they've said that the 40 billion has to last Ukraine for the next 5 months. This latest package that 'Biden' (more exactly Austin) announced is designed to stall Russia while they train up new battalions in Poland and Germany on the equipment due to enter the arena in July. Point being it's not a 'further' billion, it's 1 of the 'old' 40.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
I'm pretty sure we're not living in a nuclear war, no.
The opposite alternative to a nuclear war is appeasement. What Ukraine is living right now are the consequences of it. We non-ukranians are just not there yet.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The opposite alternative to a nuclear war is appeasement. What Ukraine is living right now are the consequences of it. We non-ukranians are just not there yet.
We aren't appeasing Russia. We are funding Ukraine with money, aid, weapons and Intel and imposing severe sanctions on Russia.

NotThatSoph

What you're saying is that if the West continues spending an almost unheard of amount of resources on supporting Ukraine, prolonging what would have been a certain Russian victory into a crippling war with an uncertain outcome for an already economically weak Russia, we'll soon live in a Russia occupied world? They'll march on Poland, Germany, Japan, the US, Ethiopia, Bangladesh?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
See above. The line was drawn. Beyond this point, we can decide to punish Russia with attacking them directly but more war is not worth it. Putin is on his back and I really think he just needs a face saving. If you corner a mad dog he will bite you in the process of killing himself.
That's not what dogs do. This being said, your opinion on this whole matter sucks and I hope it remains a minority in the US.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
That's not what dogs do. This being said, your opinion on this whole matter sucks and I hope it remains a minority in the US.
You are not experienced with dogs then. That's what causes most dog bite injuries. Being cornered with no escape route and no option but bite.

My opinion is 100% not a minority at this point a lot of people would want to see some form of settlement and improvement in oil prices.

shamans

Just to be clear about this underlined point, what Biden announced earlier this week isn't a "further billion", it's dipping into the 40 billion dollars that Congress approved last month (I swear to God more misconceptions have been made about this vaunted "40 billion to Ukraine!" than anything else in this war). They - the Pentagon and the State Department - are being careful and deliberate with it because they've said that the 40 billion has to last Ukraine for the next 5 months. This latest package that 'Biden' (more exactly Austin) announced is designed to stall Russia while they train up new battalions in Poland and Germany on the equipment due to enter the arena in July. Point being it's not a 'further' billion, it's 1 of the 'old' 40.
$40 billion is a lot of money

The Firestarter

You are not experienced with dogs then. That's what causes most dog bite injuries. Being cornered with no escape route and no option but bite.

My opinion is 100% not a minority at this point a lot of people would want to see some form of settlement and improvement in oil prices.
Yeah a lot of people are materialistic egotists that much is true.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Except in this situation the dog is already running wild and biting everyone. A settlement just gives it the opportunity to have a nap and a snack before the next round of biting commences.

stevoc

Who the feck corners an aggressive dog?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I'm sure Ukraine is sorry for the inconveniences it caused you with their suffering. How rude of them.

Jokes aside, why am I not surprised that you hold such an opinion?

shamans

I'm sure Ukraine is sorry for the inconveniences it caused you with their suffering. How rude of them.

Jokes aside, why am I not surprised that you hold such an opinion?
I'm also not surprised youre sheltered enough to think the energy crises is just an inconvenience.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm also not surprised youre sheltered enough to think the energy crises is just an inconvenience.
Yeah, what's dying compared to increasing oil and gas prices. You're the true hero in this story, don't let anybody tell you the opposite. The sovereignty of democracies is important , but I'm sure we all agree it shouldn't be too costly.

Let's be honest, you're tribal, superficial and only think of the short term. Exactly how you conduct yourself regarding other topics as well. Just what the world needs: More ignorant privileged people who think their wealth is more important than other people's lifes.

shamans

Yeah, what's dying compared to increasing oil and gas prices. You're the true hero in this story, don't let anybody tell you the opposite. The sovereignty of democracies is important , but I'm sure we all agree it shouldn't be too costly.

Let's be honest, you're tribal, superficial and only think of the short term. Exactly how you conduct yourself regarding other topics as well. Just what the world needs: More ignorant privileged people who think their wealth is more important than other people's lifes.
Keyboard warrior 101. Don't see you going to the front lines and volunteering. Or it doesn't matter to you because it's people you don't know who are dying ?

For many like yourself this is no more than a game of COD. All fun and games to strategize about war but zero idea about it

The Firestarter

Keyboard warrior 101. Don't see you going to the front lines and volunteering. Or it doesn't matter to you because it's people you don't know who are dying ?

For many like yourself this is no more than a game of COD. All fun and games to strategize about war but zero idea about it
This post is like a quick reference on the most common logical fallacies .

stevoc

Literally most of the incidents of dog suffered injuries. Anxious or aggressive dogs don't have an escape route.
But why is anyone bar a dog warden be cornering any dog let alone an aggressive one?

If someone corners a dog without reason then I think they're well within their rights to protect themselves. If someone cornered me and wouldn't let me out I wouldn't be too happy about it either. I'd probably feel threatened and react aggressively too.

The moral of this story is don't corner dogs.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Are certain posters comparing Putin to dogs? That's an insult to dogs tbf

Denis79

But why is anyone bar a dog warden be cornering any dog let alone an aggressive one?

If someone corners a dog without reason then I think they're well within their rights to protect themselves. If someone cornered me and wouldn't let me out I wouldn't be too happy about it either. I'd probably feel threatened and react aggressively too.

The moral of this story is don't corner dogs.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I also think that maybe, just maybe, not cornering a dog argument doesn’t really work when the said dog is already on a biting rampage.

The Firestarter

I also think that maybe, just maybe, not cornering a dog argument doesn’t really work when the said dog is already on a biting rampage.
It is also completely inadequate comparison. It is not a cornered dog but a dog that escaped his own yard and went into the neighbours. It can always return home.

the hea

People like you really are something else. The Ukrainian people are fighting for their future and the future of their children and they know, if they give up it will be the end for them and their country. But you come in here and tries to take some kind of morale high ground because your precious oil price is far more important then the future of 40 million people.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
People like you really are something else. The Ukrainian people are fighting for their future and the future of their children and they know, if they give up it will be the end for them and their country. But you come in here and tries to take some kind of morale high ground because your precious oil price is far more important then the future of 40 million people.
I’ll give @shamans credit for at least owning up to his opinion. I don’t agree with it but I bet 30-40% of my country does.

MTF

In Crimea — going by my personal first hand experience — the notion of rejoining Russia, one way or another, was always present. There's a lot of the grass is greener on the other side sentiment to it though — especially with Sevastopol hosting the Russian Black Sea fleet and a considerable Russian army contingent there being well-paid by the standards of the city. So they didn't really see any of the downsides that you see when you're actually in it but they saw all the bonuses + the idea of the historical wrong being done right etc. It would've been really interesting to have a proper survey that would ask Crimean people what they think of joining Russia now, 8 years later.

As for the same sentiment in Donbas — I don't think that it's been there, really. Donbas was Ukrainian for way longer than Crimea and there were many spells when Donbas was actually the most important political region in the inner-Ukrainian political battles (while Crimea always found itself to be isolated & not treated well enough).
Thanks for the context, as usual, harms.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

So I assume you are at the front given that you want Ukraine to surrender its rightful territories to Russia?

nickm

Most Americans believe US should stop being the world's police since costs a lot of money to the tax payers.
These forces aren't about the US "being the world's policeman" it's the US protecting US interests, US values, US trade and the US international order and Americans benefit a great deal from being citizens of a global empire run according to its rules. The US is of course free to withdraw itself from the world but I expect it would regret it very quickly.

GazTheLegend

Russian aggression should be controlled by developing alternate sources of energy. Europe put all their eggs in Putins basket which was a dumb thing to do but there is still time. Make a two year plan to get off of it.
This is very true and is a mistake that Angela Merkel should never be allowed to forget. One thing that surprises me is that both Merkel and Scholz were either Stasi aligned directly or were at least working with them prior to the fall of the Berlin wall, and thus may well have very different ideas of what it is to deal with the Russians when compared to the rest of us. It's worrisome to me - I can't help feel like the European Union, rather than working to win the fight in the Ukraine, is simply trying to carve it's own piece of it. That might, of course, be utterly ridiculous but people in such positions do tend to think longer term than say the next few years, and I expect would absolutely be willing to sacrifice the Eastern regions of Ukraine to bring Kiev and West Ukraine under its democratic umbrella. I hope I'm wrong in that, because Ukraine is its own country since the days of Lenin. And if any pro-EC people want to take umbrage with that point I don't blame you at all, it is probably being overly paranoid, but it still feels to me that the UK is seen in vaguely antagonistic terms despite its clear and present efforts against the aggression happening -today-... I know people in the Carrier Strike Group doing exercises right now and I could have been a part of it under different circumstances so I actually do understand what it is to be on the front line.

Where you're wrong though is that for me, personally, paying literally twice as much in petrol is a price I am 100% willing to pay, if that even brings the slightest chance of a victory for the Ukrainians. What's a few pounds to me, compared to THEIR plight. I am certainly not going to starve, and am no way selfish enough to not consider the future of humankind above my own little desires - my grandparents and great grandparents gave far more than we are being asked to.

neverdie

:lol:

wealth. most of the people, like >90% of them, impacted by the crisis are not in any way wealthy. a huge number of them will barely be above the poverty limit and enormous amounts will be working poor. seriously, people need to drop the preachy nonsense or maybe do the kinds of things for the vast number of people barely coping under the weight of the inflation crisis at home like agitating for social programs.

i'm in favour of using this war to go beyond limits people here even suggest. i'd like it to be one factor among many in the switch to renewables in the states that are ready to make the transition. but arguing that people are selfish because they're in danger of falling into povery or even below the poverty threshold is absurd.

Yeah a lot of people are materialistic egotists that much is true.
yeah, those materialist egoists who number the three million people regularly using food banks. what a bunch of selfish pricks. seriously, many millions are in brackets just above that limit. jesus christ.

surely we can say that we should support Ukraine with arms and aid without also pretending that the inflation crisis isn't really hurting everyone and risking increased poverty? not one or the other.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
:lol:

wealth. most of the people, like >90% of them, impacted by the crisis are not in any way wealthy.
Not in any way? Just by being born in the US you are almost guaranteed to be richer than the vast majority of humanity. Those suffering from the war outside Ukraine are those in developing countries, especially because of the increase in food prices. People forget how lucky they were if they are born in the EU or the US. We should be solidary with Ukraine and do with less wealth while they do the dying for the rest of us. shaman's take is just the usual "America first" bullshit.

neverdie

Not in any way? Just by being born in the US you are almost guaranteed to be richer than the vast majority of humanity. Those suffering from the war outside Ukraine are those in developing countries, especially because of the increase in food prices. People forget how lucky they were if they are born in the EU or the US. We should be solidary with Ukraine and do with less wealth while they do the dying for the rest of us. shaman's take is just the usual "America first" bullshit.
I was talking about the UK. Part of what you say is true. there are or will be people who are very well off or even comfortable who won't want to pay anything or undergo any hardship. and not just for Ukraine but basically any cause that isn't immediate to them. but there is also an enormous percentage of the population that is really struggling both in Europe and the US. if I was coming back from a food bank and someone told me I needed to do more I'd tell them to get fecked and that wouldn't have anything to do with Ukraine. same if I was in the bracket just above that. it isn't just the war that is responsible for the inflation crisis anyway but it has made it worse. it's just not the right approach imo to tell people who are struggling that they're selfish or aren't sacrificing enough when wealth inequality is at the worst level it has ever been in the US and Europe.

i'd say arm Ukraine within whatever bounds make military and political sense. give Ukraine humanitarian aid and basically do what can be done on those fronts. but people's concern about their own precarious position shouldn't just be dismissed as "materialist" or "selfish". it's people's lives we're talking about and income + wealth inequality are forcing many below the poverty line.

you also have to bear in mind that the US has given Ukraine a lot of money. more has been given to Ukraine this year alone than is earmarked for the entire federal education budget. whatever people's feelings I don't think you can say people in these countries haven't done enough when their tax money will run to about one hundred billion within a single year by the end of the year, or next six month period, when all is said and done. i don't know, i just think it's wise to separate the very real crisis in living from the very real crisis in Ukraine and not to shame people or virtue signal about being able to undertake more cuts when you're potentially talking with or to people for whom a cut might mean homelessness.