Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
When the war comes to you:

I've seen speculation that it could be Ukraine's own Grom missiles, which have been under development.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Doesn't Russia have extensive missile defence systems that should stop this kind of attack happening? It seems like multiple rockets got through. If this war is seen in the wider context of Nato weaponry vs Russian defence I'd imagine there are a few worried generals in Putin's army at the moment.
Since it's Crimea, maybe they haven't established a proper missile defense system there? Plus Ukrainian missiles do fly to Rostovskaya and Belgorodskaya oblast' from time to time, so it's not like Russia has something like Israel's Iron Dome that can catch 95% of the incoming missiles.

I'd imagine that strategic points like Moscow/St. Petersburg etc. are better defended.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Since it's Crimea, maybe they haven't established a proper missile defense system there?
They definitely moved some of their best air defense systems there already in 2014 and we have seen some video evidence that for example their S-300 batteries were active and shot at something during this war.

So either they failed to intercept the attack which doesn't look good for their air defense, or worse their missile supplies are exhausted. That would be much more dramatic and I wouldn't expect that yet, so I tend to think it's just poor performance.

Edit: just realised to whom I respond here... feels weird to lecture a Russian about Russian activities. Hope you are well and not in danger!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
They definitely moved some of their best air defense systems there already in 2014 and we have seen some video evidence that for example their S-300 batteries were active and shot at something during this war.

So either they failed to intercept the attack which doesn't look good for their air defense, or worse their missile supplies are exhausted. That would be much more dramatic and I wouldn't expect that yet, so I tend to think it's just poor performance.

Edit: just realised to whom I respond here... feels weird to lecture a Russian about Russian activities. Hope you are well and not in danger!
I don't know much about the technical stuff of the war, so my nationality shouldn't give my opinion on this any additional importance.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Since it's Crimea, maybe they haven't established a proper missile defense system there? Plus Ukrainian missiles do fly to Rostovskaya and Belgorodskaya oblast' from time to time, so it's not like Russia has something like Israel's Iron Dome that can catch 95% of the incoming missiles.

I'd imagine that strategic points like Moscow/St. Petersburg etc. are better defended.
That's a good point - you'd need to spend half your GDP on missile defence if you wanted to create an Iron Dome style system over the whole of Russia. Just feels like this should have been thought through. Crimea is not exactly Moscow but it has a key Black Sea base which Putin is supposedly very keen on, and is an important asset in this war. At the very least shouldn't they have predicted a Ukranian attack in that area, rather than say, St Petersburg?

dove

There were rumours that Ukrainians received missiles with range of 200-300km. I guess it might be true. I am sure it will strike fear into Russians, nowhere is safe and the Crimean bridge is in danger more than ever before.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

I would genuinely love to know Western intelligence's best estimates of current Russian stocks of rockets, munitions, vehicles etc. We'll never hear them say it, but I imagine there will be a few serious pinch points that go some way to explaining Russian actions during the course of this war

the hea

Doesn't Russia have extensive missile defence systems that should stop this kind of attack happening? It seems like multiple rockets got through. If this war is seen in the wider context of Nato weaponry vs Russian defence I'd imagine there are a few worried generals in Putin's army at the moment.
Ukraine were recently given AGM-88 HARM (High-speed Anti Radiation Missile). These missiles are designed to take out the enemies air defence systems by homing in on their radar emissions.
If Ukraine has been able to take out some of Russias air surveillance radars with these missiles it is possible that they have been able to get some ground attack missiles through and hit the airbase.

A big question mark at this point is what missiles they have used to attack the base, if it in fact was a missile strike. The only known missile in the Ukrainian arsenal with the range required is the Neptune anti-ship missile. The problem with those is that they rely on radar homing for the terminal phase so they wouldn't be able to hit ground targets with any accuracy, it is possibile that they have been able to develop a GPS guided version of the Neputune, maybe even with the help of others.
Another option is that they have been given some new missiles that we don't know about.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ukraine were recently given AGM-88 HARM (High-speed Anti Radiation Missile). These missiles are designed to take out the enemies air defence systems by homing in on their radar emissions.
If Ukraine has been able to take out some of Russias air surveillance radars with these missiles it is possible that they have been able to get some ground attack missiles through and hit the airbase.

A big question mark at this point is what missiles they have used to attack the base, if it in fact was a missile strike. The only known missile in the Ukrainian arsenal with the range required is the Neptune anti-ship missile. The problem with those is that they rely on radar homing for the terminal phase so they wouldn't be able to hit ground targets with any accuracy, it is possibile that they have been able to develop a GPS guided version of the Neputune, maybe even with the help of others.
Another option is that they have been given some new missiles that we don't know about.
Pretty sure they are using weapons from NATO to carry out the above hit in Crimea.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Pretty sure they are using weapons from NATO to carry out the above hit in Crimea.

I think that's one of those unknowable questions. The degradation of the Russian military in one form or another is pretty astonishing though

RedDevilQuebecois

When the war comes to you:

Good thing that a military target got hit with precision and yet the strike will leave quite a psychological scar for the pro-Kremlin people enjoying the summer vacation nearby. Paradise shattered.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
A big question mark at this point is what missiles they have used to attack the base, if it in fact was a missile strike. The only known missile in the Ukrainian arsenal with the range required is the Neptune anti-ship missile.
Maybe not... Ukraine had two missile projects in development (Hrim-2 and Sapsan) which both could perform this mission - if they are indeed ready for battle. This is a big question mark but I guess we can be sure that they accelerated the development of those systems as much as they could in the last months, so maybe this was kind of an operational test of one of those.

Rajma

Maybe not... Ukraine had two missile projects in development (Hrim-2 and Sapsan) which both could perform this mission - if they are indeed ready for battle. This is a big question mark but I guess we can be sure that they accelerated the development of those systems as much as they could in the last months, so maybe this was kind of an operational test of one of those.
I think this is possible too. US is normally upfront about everything when it comes to their deliveries so that would be unexpected.

The Firestarter

I think this is possible too. US is normally upfront about everything when it comes to their deliveries so that would be unexpected.
Don't think the US has listed every delivered system. Also don't think its expected to do so.There is also the possibility of sending some experimental/ prototype systems that can get tested in Ukraine. It would make sense for really long range stuff that has little chance of getting captured.

the hea

I don't think they have even testfired a Hrim missile yet, the furthest they have gotten, that I know of at least is testing the engine. Sapsan I have never heard of before, so won't say anything about that.
I won't say that it's impossible but I think it's highly unlikely that they have been able to make such massive steps in the developement, in such a short time.

Rajma

Don't think the US has listed every delivered system. Also don't think its expected to do so.There is also the possibility of sending some experimental/ prototype systems that can get tested in Ukraine. It would make sense for really long range stuff that has little chance of getting captured.
Anyway let the Orcs guessing what’s coming after them.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't think they have even testfired a Hrim missile yet, the furthest they have gotten, that I know of at least is testing the engine. Sapsan I have never heard of before, so won't say anything about that.
I won't say that it's impossible but I think it's highly unlikely that they have been able to make such massive steps in the developement, in such a short time.
Information is hard to get... it might actually be the case that the (older) Sapsan project in fact evolved into the Hrim and doesn't exist anymore as such. What you say is of course right, but the situation wasn't that much different for the Neptune and then it sunk the Moskva, so who knows? It's as good a guess as speculating if they got some western missiles we don't know about either.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Obviously he has the right to say anything he wants but that's such a stupid argument. I thought that we've already went past this phase at the very beginning of the war & Zelensky himself openly spoke against it, and yet here we are again — with the likes of Finland, Estonia joining the call.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/08/ukraine-zelensky-interview-ban-russian-travelers/

Stopping Russians from leaving the country benefits only Putin, for whom the full isolation of his people from the West and its influence is the ideal scenario. People who oppose him will get imprisoned, independent journalists won't be able to provide an alternative point of view to a Russian-speaking audience etc.

I keep thinking of Walter Benjamin, who had killed himself because Spain refused to let him through to U.S. and threatened to return him to Nazi-occupied France. On the next day all the people from his group were let through (most likely because of his suicide), yet we had lost one of the most brilliant minds of the XXth century. And the plethora of German internationals that had fled the Third Reich only to continue to fight with Hitler and his regime until the end of the war (like Thomas Mann with his radio addresses). Nah, the Allies should've sent them back to Germany to overthrow Hitler with sticks and stones.
Theses on the Philosophy of History is as relevant today as it was when it was written.

Rajma

If they now have range, it would mean that they can’t no longer park their leftovers from black sea fleet in Crimea.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Ukraine attempting to attack and reclaim/liberate Crimea will surely take this war to another level, won’t it? I’m assuming that Putin will not want to lose Crimea under any circumstance. Could this be the catalyst for full out nuclear strikes on Ukraine?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Ukraine attempting to attack and reclaim/liberate Crimea will surely take this war to another level, won’t it? I’m assuming that Putin will not want to lose Crimea under any circumstance. Could this be the catalyst for full out nuclear strikes on Ukraine?
They're not attempting to reclaim Crimea. They're hitting military targets and taking out military aircraft

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No, there won't be nuclear strikes on Ukraine.

That being said, I'd be surprised if Ukraine would go ahead with a Crimea operation.