Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ukraine attempting to attack and reclaim/liberate Crimea will surely take this war to another level, won’t it? I’m assuming that Putin will not want to lose Crimea under any circumstance. Could this be the catalyst for full out nuclear strikes on Ukraine?
Hard to say. As Russia claims that Crimea is Russia this would something which qualifies as an existential threat to Russia, which would under their doctrine allow nuclear strikes. However the question is, is that really something Russia wants? Escalating to a nuclear war could provoke far more severe consequences than they experienced so far.

They're not attempting to reclaim Crimea. They're hitting military targets and taking out military aircraft
Look above, Zelensky made a statement that liberating Crimea is officially a Ukrainian goal for this war now.

MadMike

Look above, Zelensky made a statement that liberating Crimea is officially a Ukrainian goal for this war now.
What do you mean "now"? When did Ukraine ever accept Russian occupation of any part of their country since 2014? When wasn't liberating all of Ukraine their stated goal?

goalscholes

Ukraine attempting to attack and reclaim/liberate Crimea will surely take this war to another level, won’t it? I’m assuming that Putin will not want to lose Crimea under any circumstance. Could this be the catalyst for full out nuclear strikes on Ukraine?
Crimea is geographically vital for Russia to retain access to the seas all year round.

It’s most vital to their future security, as otherwise they could be surrounded and blocked off during winter.

I don’t imagine Russia will need nuclear weapons to keep it, but they will get very desperate and move a large part of their army to defend it. Hence Ukraine’s strategy of attack.

Simbo

No, they are not going to nuke Ukraine or anywhere else when Russia itself is not under threat. It would be an act of batshit insanity that the world has never before seen.

Sure they might claim Crimea is Russia, they claim lots of nonsense.

Don't Kill Bill

Hard to say. As Russia claims that Crimea is Russia this would something which qualifies as an existential threat to Russia, which would under their doctrine allow nuclear strikes. However the question is, is that really something Russia wants? Escalating to a nuclear war could provoke far more severe consequences than they experienced so far.

It always was it was, just some in the west wanted Ukraine to give it to Russia so the war could end and everything get back to normal.

The only way the Ukrainians liberate Crimea is if the Russian army folds. According to the US intelligence Russia has 80'000 dead and if we say X's 3 or 4 wounded then they are down 320'000 to 400'000 men. Their attacks have slowed or stopped and their available stocks are depleting.

It is still unclear what level of intensity both sides can continue with but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that after the first actor advantage is gone (predicted around 6 months at the start of the war) Ukraine starts to gain the initiative. Is it possible Ukraine routs Russian forces and takes back Crimea on the march, I'd say unlikely but not out of the question. Putin has committed everything he has short of mass mobilization.

It would be ironic if a war started as a land grab ended with Putin trying to explain how his amazing victory lost the black sea naval base at Sevastopol and gained a land bridge to nowhere.

MadMike

Crimea is geographically vital for Russia to retain access to the seas all year round.

It’s most vital to their future security, as otherwise they could be surrounded and blocked off during winter.
Wtf are you talking about? Russia didn't have Crimea for 20+ years and had access to the Black Sea, no problem. They cannot be "surrounded and blocked off" by Ukraine.

The port of Novorossiysk, in Russia, is one of the 3 biggest ports in the Black Sea along with Constanta and Odessa. Between Crimea and Turkey, there are several nautical miles of international waters.

Those "security concerns" are lebensraum-style utter horseshit to justify imperialism and expansionism as necessity.

dove

It always was it was, just some in the west wanted Ukraine to give it to Russia so the war could end and everything get back to normal.

The only way the Ukrainians liberate Crimea is if the Russian army folds. According to the US intelligence Russia has 80'000 dead and if we say X's 3 or 4 wounded then they are down 320'000 to 400'000 men. Their attacks have slowed or stopped and their available stocks are depleting.

It is still unclear what level of intensity both sides can continue with but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that after the first actor advantage is gone (predicted around 6 months at the start of the war) Ukraine starts to gain the initiative. Is it possible Ukraine routs Russian forces and takes back Crimea on the march, I'd say unlikely but not out of the question. Putin has committed everything he has short of mass mobilization.

It would be ironic if a war started as a land grab ended with Putin trying to explain how his amazing victory lost the black sea naval base at Sevastopol and gained a land bridge to nowhere.
Number 80k was dead and wounded combined. According to Ukrainians, over 40k Russian soldiers were killed.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What do you mean "now"? When did Ukraine ever accept Russian occupation of any part of their country since 2014? When wasn't liberating all of Ukraine their stated goal?
Sorry, that statement was a bit misleading. Of course it was always Ukraine's goal to do that, Zelensky stated/repeated it just now.

goalscholes

Wtf are you talking about? Russia didn't have Crimea for 20+ years and had access to the Black Sea, no problem. They cannot be "surrounded and blocked off" by Ukraine.

The port of Novorossiysk, in Russia, is one of the 3 biggest ports in the Black Sea along with Constanta and Odessa. Between Crimea and Turkey, there are several nautical miles of international waters.

Those "security concerns" are lebensraum-style utter horseshit to justify imperialism and expansionism as necessity.
It's true that Russia has been building up a huge amount of capacity in Nororossiysk in previous years.

But there is also a "reason" why Russia extended its lease of port space at Sevastopol, and that it targeted Crimea almost immediately after Yanukovych was forced out - they feared Ukraine would renege on its deal for Sevastopol. There is also a "reason" Russia had been moving Russian individuals into Crimea for years, so they'd have local support if anything happened to it.

Obviously the actual explanation for the ridiculous war is Russia paranoia and imperialism. But Russia realise that they would be extremely vulnerable in times of war only having one major warm water port, especially one affected by strong winter winds. I imagine they will continue to do everything they can to suck up to Turkiye to retain access to the Bosporus, use information warfare and hook poor countries on fossil fuels to encourage further global warming and use technology to break out through cold seas to the north, whilst continuing to hugely expand their fleet, in case they need to take drastic measures in the Bosporus.

tomaldinho1

Think it's a mix of economical (lots of trade passes through the river + ports) and military (they can establish control over most of the Black Sea through land based missiles in Crimea). If they lose Crimea they will effectively lose control of the Black Sea if NATO continues to be supplied with NATO weaponry and that cuts them off completely.

JuriM

The strikes were beautiful and probably freaked out plenty of Russian generals. It's time to hit them where it hurts the most and push back hard now.

Don't Kill Bill

Number 80k was dead and wounded combined. According to Ukrainians, over 40k Russian soldiers were killed.
Yeah my mistake. Its still a load of men lost though. It just feels like Ukraine is getting the upper hand but it might be wishful thinking on my part.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I don’t imagine Russia will need nuclear weapons to keep it, but they will get very desperate and move a large part of their army to defend it. Hence Ukraine’s strategy of attack.
:lol:

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Interesting because I watched an interview with a top Ukrainian general and he was talking about being able to push Russia back to February borders when they get the latest artillery but he drew the line at Crimea at that time. I think Zelenski may want Crimea but may also use it as a bargaining chip when the time comes

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Is it true that the Ukraine president was having a photoshoot (according to Facebook) for Vogue?

Simbo

Interesting because I watched an interview with a top Ukrainian general and he was talking about being able to push Russia back to February borders when they get the latest artillery but he drew the line at Crimea at that time. I think Zelenski may want Crimea but may also use it as a bargaining chip when the time comes
From the start of this Zelensky talked about a 'diplomatic solution' to Crimea, he and I guess the general you mention saw no possibility to retake Crimea by force, based on the situation at the time. He literraly said in an interview that invading Crimea could start ww3. Some in the west wrongly interpreted this as them willing to cede Crimea in discussions, which they have been very clear will never happen.

But guess what, in war, things change. The situation right now is very different from early on when Kyiv was almost surrounded, it looked like Kharkiv and Sumy would fall and Odessa under threat. The strike yesterday, instant exodus of Russians fleeing across the bridge and houses being put up for sale on mass was hugely signifiant, for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

Simbo

Is it true that the Ukraine president was having a photoshoot (according to Facebook) for Vogue?
Him and his wife were interviewed by Vogue a few weeks ago to spread awareness of the Ukranian plight and had their picture taken to go with the story, if that's what your talking about.

neverdie

it's their naval base i guess he means. they had control over that for 20+ years until 2014 which is why they annexed it. he's right imo. russia will do whatever it takes to keep crimea.

But guess what, in war, things change. The situation right now is very different from early on when Kyiv was almost surrounded and it looked like Kharkiv and Sumy would fall and Odessa under threat. The strike yesterday, instant exadus of Russians fleeing across the bridge and houses being put up for sale on mass was hugely signifiant, for a number of reasons.
basically this.

neverdie

. According to the US intelligence Russia has 80'000 dead and if we say X's 3 or 4 wounded then they are down 320'000 to 400'000 men. Their attacks have slowed or stopped and their available stocks are depleting.
it'll be interesting to see if this is true. i took that 80k number to mean wounded and dead. because the invasion force was 160k or 200k and there were reports of 50k before we had unverified reports of more troop deployment. hard to know what's really happening in terms of troop losses on either side. but i'm expecting russia to go very indiscriminate now. the kind of thing they refrained from early.

i'd say yesterday was the first significant thing to happen in months. interesting to see what happens next. will point to actual conditions on ground and health of each side.

A second, more optimistic view turns this take on its head and sees a Ukrainian victory unfolding over the coming months. This interpretation notes that Russian advances have stalled all along the 1,000-kilometer (620-mile) front; that Ukraine has used Western-supplied long-range precision artillery, such as the U.S. High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, or HIMARS, to neutralize Russia’s principal military advantage by striking Russian artillery ammunition depots far behind the front line; and that Ukrainian forces seem to be gearing up for a major offensive, which Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has announced will take place around the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson. The best policy for the West, therefore, is to double down on supplying Ukraine and allow it to hand Russia a defeat.

Although Russia could theoretically draw on a population more than double that of Ukraine’s, Moscow may not be able tap its larger pool of manpower. Ukraine views this war as existential; at the outset of hostilities, the government barred most men between the ages of 18 and 60 from leaving the country in preparation for a military draft. According to Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov, Ukraine is mobilizing a fighting force of 1 million people, including about 700,000 people in the armed forces and another 300,000 people in other parts of the security apparatus, such as the police and border guard. Even if not all of these personnel will be directly committed to the front lines and will likely be unevenly trained, it still represents a substantial commitment.
full article https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/08/09/ukraine-war-russia-optimism-winning-counteroffensive/

writer makes an optimistic case for ukraine. similar to ones raoul has made iirc. things to watch are the counteroffensive whenever it comes and possible russian conscription. basic takeaway is both sides are exhausted but each is determined to continue. also clues as to why i'd take that 80k-400k estimate with a pinch of salt. russia hasn't mobilized that many troops. when it does, or if it does, then russia could be in serious trouble for the reasons the article states. look at the us during vietnam. they moved to a purely voluntary military after that debacle because drafting people in to fight a war will erode support for the war and for the administration that wages it. this is different for ukraine and russia as ukraine is defending and russia is attacking. so it becomes about whether the russians liable for conscription have really bought into the war and see it in the same existential light as the ukrainians or have only bought into the rhetoric and lose support when they have to be called up.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Old school. It's what the British Empire used to do but obviously needs to be backed up with serious discipline if your fighting force isn't to become a rabble. Might also explain the proclivity for committing heinous war crimes to some degree.

Simbo

"I really don't want to leave Crimea. It's so cool here. I'm used to it. It's like we were at home here. Everything is so soulful, homey. * Sobbing *"

Bless.

dove

"I really don't want to leave Crimea. It's so cool here. I'm used to it. It's like we were at home here. Everything is so soulful, homey. * Sobbing *"

Bless.
Oh no! Anyway...

Rajma

Z army is scraping the barrel now, no wonder Russian advancements have been halted to the few hundred meters in a week here and there. It will be an easy meat for the thousands of Ukrainian soldiers now undertaking training in Britain and elsewhere in Nato countries once they graduate and come back while operating Nato level weapons.

tomaldinho1

Z army is scraping the barrel now, no wonder Russian advancements have been halted to the few hundred meters in a week here and there. It will be an easy meat for the thousands of Ukrainian soldiers now undertaking training in Britain and elsewhere in Nato countries once they graduate and come back while operating Nato level weapons.
More worryingly for Putin, they already have a huge population decline issue, add in many Russians fleeing the country, the brain drain and getting close to 100k killed/wounded men (most of whom you'd assume are between 16-35) is hardly going to help. He's tried to even pay couples to have more kids and they're now facing a weak economy for years which stunts childbirth rates as well.

Rajma

More worryingly for Putin, they already have a huge population decline issue, add in many Russians fleeing the country, the brain drain and getting close to 100k killed/wounded men (most of whom you'd assume are between 16-35) is hardly going to help. He's tried to even pay couples to have more kids and they're now facing a weak economy for years which stunts childbirth rates as well.
Well he deported close to 2 million Ukrainians in occupied territories to Russia for a reason.

tomaldinho1

Well he deported close to 2 million Ukrainians in occupied territories to Russia not for no reason.
Yes that's a big part of why he's invaded - they also include Donbas population in their official Russian figures for example - so most of those people are already counted by Putin. Question is can he make it more attractive for people to stay long term, it's all well and good bringing millions of Ukrainians into the country but they can't, at least easily, keep the majority of them there once the war is over.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thread on Russia's population transfer to Crimea.
Interesting. When I was in Crimea about 12 years ago, most locals appeared to lean pro-Russia - noticably more so than those I met in places like Kherson, Mykolaev, and Odesa (where despite everyone speaking Russian, seemed quite content being Ukrainians living in a democratic nation).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No. When they were negotiating at the beginning, Zelensky proposed a lengthy period of prolongated status-quo on Crimea with a real referendum at some point in a distant future.

Retaking Crimea (be it by force or by negotiation) would always be a long-term goal of an independent Ukraine, but it was certainly not one of its goals during this war.

neverdie

https://iccrimea.org/population.html

https://www.geocurrents.info/geopolitics/nationalism/error-ukraines-political-divisions

Ethnic Composition of Crimea (1793-1989)
Ethnic Group1793 (1)1863 (2)1923 (3)1939 (4)1959 (5)1970 (6)1989 (8)
Armenians
*​
na​
12,000​
12,873​
na​
3,091​
na​
Belarussians
na​
na​
na​
na​
21,672​
39,793​
50,045​
Bulgarians
*​
17,704​
12,000​
15,353​
na​
na​
na​
Chuvashes
na​
na​
na​
na​
na​
2,453​
na​
Crimean Tatars
171,751​
na​
150,000​
218,179​
na​
6,479​
38,365​
Estonians ***
na​
na​
na​
1,900​
na​
na​
898​
Germans
*​
na​
40,000​
51,299​
na​
na​
na​
Greeks
*​
na​
na​
20,652​
na​
na​
na​
Jews
na​
na​
50,000​
65,452​
26,374​
25,614​
17,371​
Karaims
na​
na​
na​
na​
na​
1,553​
na​
Moldavians
na​
na​
na​
na​
na​
3,456​
na​
Mordovians
na​
na​
na​
na​
na​
3,179​
na​
Poles
na​
na​
na​
na​
na​
6,038​
na​
Russians
10,831​
29,246​
306,000​
558,481​
858,273​
1,220,484​
1,629,542​
Ukrainians
na​
7,797​
**​
154,120​
267,659​
480,733​
625,919​
Other
na​
na​
na​
28,076​
na​
na​
na​
TOTAL
na​
196,873​
623,000​
1,126,385​
1,201,517​
1,813,502​
na​

i don't think crimea will be taken but should bear in mind that the ukrainians also displaced the tartars. the ukrainian population grew 400% and the russian by 300% from 39-89. historically, the ukrainians have always been a minority in crimea. never being more than 25% of the population. which is probably why it's typically associated as being most pro-russian of all russian occupied ukrainian territory.

harms

Staff
Interesting. When I was in Crimea about 12 years ago, most locals appeared to lean pro-Russia - noticably more so than those I met in places like Kherson, Mykolaev, and Odesa (where despite everyone speaking Russian, seemed quite content being Ukrainians living in a democratic nation).
The twitter thread doesn't really pass a quick fact-check. He mentions the number of 1 million newcomers as a fact, while in the article he's referencing 1 million is mentioned as an "estimate from unofficial sources", then they reference the official numbers published by Ukraine (already down by half, 500k).

This leniency in terms of numbers is understandable when you read the article's own summary:
The question isn't how many new people came to Crimea — 300k or 1,5 million. It's the trend that matters. And it clearly indicates that Russia tries to change the peninsula's population as quickly as possible. Kremlin is probably worrying about something
You can also track down the unofficial sources if you're not lazy, but they're incredibly un-scientific in their method, relying on "estimates from anonymous experts". Green is the numbers that they have a source for, the red is an estimate from god knows where.

ПоказательКоличество человек
переезд в город Севастополь на постоянное проживание (официальная статистика на 01.01.2021)180 505
переезд в оккупированную АР Крым на постоянное проживание (официальная статистика на 01.01.2021)201 420
экспертная оценка превышения реального количества постоянного населения над официальными данными по городу Севастополь (минимальная)300 000
экспертная оценка превышения реального количества постоянного населения над официальными данными по городу Симферополь (минимальная)300 000
экспертная оценка превышения реального количества постоянного населения над официальными данными по городам Ялта, Алушта, Евпатория, Феодосия (минимальная)50 000
В целом1 031 925

An important note is that this is obviously something that is happening — Russians (although not just ethnically Russians which the article seems to imply) have been moving to Crimea and the government does try to create favourable conditions for the newcomers. I just hate speculative threads like this that stitch together a bunch of random stuff and then present is as if it was a clear and factucally-based narrative.

harms

Staff
Russia had leased the port of Sevastopol where it stationed its Black Sea fleet.

Rajma

Wow. How big are those numbers %-wise? Obviously by a very rough estimate. I have no idea how many planes Russia has but I understand how much one cost.
I read that based on the pre explosion satellite images it stationed around 10% of Russian jet airfoces (based on pre invasion total figure which have seen massive losses so far). Not sure how accurate it is though.