Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Spec
@harms I hope you and your loved ones can avoid being called up.
Do you have any idea how these news are received in Russia? Oh and has Putin called it a war yet? "Special military operation" doesn't sound like something you need the reservists for.

'Special Invitation' for a Special Ops.

tomaldinho1

The context is generally important too, Russia performed terribly in WWI which led to a bloody revolution, assassination of whole royal family including the children and complete overhaul of system.

They are performing poorly in war right now too, and they also have autocratic leader.
I wonder if we’ll see Putin take the place of the Romanov’s this time around. You know there’s an old fella in the U.K. who just became King and has a direct claim to reestablish the Russian monarchy…

Rajma

At least Russian liberal “opposition” won’t be able to call it as Putin’s war anymore.

cyberman

All advanced NATO/US weapons should now be on the table for Ukraine. Make the technological disparity so steep that no amount of meat will be enough to hold on to occupied territories.
That 100 percent will happen. That’s why Russia are talking about not bluffing and all that nonsense in a desperate attempt to stop it happening

MTF

Still feel terrible that Ukraine fights on their own as far as the human risk in this conflict. They've proven themselves the opposite of a lost cause like the former Afghan government, or further back the Republic of Vietnam, who were governments with little actual support of the population.

If Putin gets on TV and already tells his people that they're fighting the west, how escalatory would it even be if that were simply made to become reality? Or to look at it from a different angle, would the costs of Ukraine losing/having to agree to a stalemate without parts of it's territory also not be an unsustainable peace? I think that Russian aggression would likely reoccur within a decade at most.

I think there's a mismatch in terms of the strategic significance of this conflict (indirectly will define the security situation in Eastern Europe for a decade or longer, implications for global security) and the current commitment of US/NATO resources. I think the deployment of aerial, anti-air, logistics support, intelligence, and any other sort of units short of armor (explicit commitment not to violate Russian territory with ground units and no use of strategic bombers) to support Ukraine should be considered. Even while I know that the actual answer is that none of this will be considered or done.

buchansleftleg

I think this is merely a ploy from Putin to try and stop the rapid counter offensive from the Ukranian forces. They will potentially now have to think about what they can hold in a spring offensive from Russia, once it get's these mobilised troops into position.

They have to take a calculated gamble to stop and consolidate now before winter sets in hard, or do they go for the jugular and hope the mobilized troops are as poorly led and badly motivated as the current Russian soldiers have been.

Personally I think you can't "normalise" Putin's behaviour and let him hold these fragments of territory. Some rapidly "rebadged" resources need to suddenly appear on the battlefield to establish total air supremacy and a squadron of A10's to raze the remaining Russian forces will force widespread mutiny and collapse within a week. It would just be a question of where to draw the line - Crimea??

phelans shorts

That's about as likely as putin straight away throwing a nuke on new York...

The reality is it's an escalation and it makes finding an off ramp more difficult.

Most conflicts end with some form of negotiated settlement and let's be honest the only ways this one does not involve the collapse of either Ukraine or Russia and right now both those seem improbable

I'm doing quite a bit of work in Ukraine at the moment and I don't see this as a good omen ... It looks to me like an occupying force for the long term and potentially a long running regional conflict with the constant potential to flair up and further escalate which is not good imo
But it’s not though? There’s precedent for what I posted there, it’s a major difference.

Balljy

I think this is merely a ploy from Putin to try and stop the rapid counter offensive from the Ukranian forces. They will potentially now have to think about what they can hold in a spring offensive from Russia, once it get's these mobilised troops into position.

They have to take a calculated gamble to stop and consolidate now before winter sets in hard, or do they go for the jugular and hope the mobilized troops are as poorly led and badly motivated as the current Russian soldiers have been.

Personally I think you can't "normalise" Putin's behaviour and let him hold these fragments of territory. Some rapidly "rebadged" resources need to suddenly appear on the battlefield to establish total air supremacy and a squadron of A10's to raze the remaining Russian forces will force widespread mutiny and collapse within a week. It would just be a question of where to draw the line - Crimea??
There's probably some truth in that. If Ukraine know a load more troops are potentially on the way, they're more likely to consolidate positions rather than counterattack and risk being exposed. They'll still look to take strategic cities back I imagine.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I won’t belittle your question as others have done. Yes, which is probably why the idea of another revolution is referenced a lot throughout this thread and generally pops up when talking about Russia given it was recent history (100years ago). Fascinating but horrible period of history.
Thanks- I should have looked it up first - but dont know anything bout Russian history. Its just something I have never read about.

MTF

These guys just had their most prestigious field army level formation (1st Guard Tanks Army) partially routed. I don't think that conscripts will display higher morale, determination or skill in holding against future offensives.

A reverse historical precedent that comes to mind is the Battle of the Bulge, where after a few US line divisions were defeated by German forces, at least what the generals had in strategic reserve to rapidly deploy and hold the new line + Bastogne were the mostly volunteer 82nd and 101st airborne divisions.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Kofman’s usually cautious analysis doesn’t see this as any sort of game changer until at least the medium term:

tomaldinho1

Thanks- I should have looked it up first - but dont know anything bout Russian history. Its just something I have never read about.
You probably already know the main names and storyline without being aware. For example Rasputin, The Bolsheviks, the ‘reds’ vs ‘white’ army, Lenin etc. the film Anastasia

the hea

If this translation is correct she is spot on, there is nothing partial about it besides the name. The only limiting factors are age and health reasons. To me this sounds like a general mobilization and the next step after this would be declaring martial law.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good assessment from Hertling as usual. And another reason why Putin's so called mobilization is little more than a final act of desperation rather than one that will turn the tide back in Russia's favor.

Last edited:

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I'm not sure Russian mobilisation will necessarily lead to Ukrainians stoping their offensive in short term, and by short term I mean next couple of weeks. If anything, they may look to launch new offensives soon to liberate more territory before Russian extra men arrive.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If this translation is correct she is spot on, there is nothing partial about it besides the name. The only limiting factors are age and health reasons. To me this sounds like a general mobilization and the next step after this would be declaring martial law.
She is spot on, she's about as thorough as they get.

Abizzz

From what I heard from acquaintances it used to be piss easy to bribe yourself out of the military service. @harms do you think those that have done so will still be drafted now?

harms

Staff
From what I heard from acquaintances it used to be piss easy to bribe yourself out of the military service. @harms do you think those that have done so will still be drafted now?
It certainly was very easy, especially in wealthier regions. I'm not sure how hard it is to prove that someone cheated their way out of conscription — usually a doctor in the army-affiliated facility or an army officer at the conscription office were bribed to get a fake medical diagnosis that get you expelled from service. Unless those particular people were caught red-handed, which happens sometimes (and triggers a retrospective reassessment of their previous cases), it's pretty tough to prove foul play.

I doubt that they'll have the time to check old cases and issue those reassessments on those who are already expelled from service. It'll take so much time as you'll have to prove that their medical evaluation was not legit (which, most likely, means a couple of weeks in an army's hospital to check everything out for themselves).

Abizzz

It certainly was very easy, especially in wealthier regions. I'm not sure how hard it is to prove that someone cheated their way out of conscription — usually a doctor in the army-affiliated facility or an army officer at the conscription office were bribed to get a fake medical diagnosis that get you expelled from service. Unless those particular people were caught red-handed, which happens sometimes (and triggers a retrospective reassessment of their previous cases), it's pretty tough to prove foul play.

I doubt that they'll have the time to check old cases and issue those reassessments on those who are already expelled from service. It'll take so much time as you'll have to prove that their medical evaluation was not legit (which, most likely, means a couple of weeks in an army's hospital to check everything out for themselves).
That makes sense. Thanks for the thorough answer!

NotThatSoph

I don’t believe all those tweets, I’m just taking part in information warfare for a long time now because Putin is at war with the west.
Am I getting this right, are you posting untrue things as part of a campaign to support Ukraine on Redcafe? Sorry if I misunderstood.

harms

Staff
I just love these kind of videos. Every time there's an anti-Putin protest pro-Putin guys come in to argue for him and to provoke a negative reaction (and, ideally, a fight). And almost every time the police that was instructed to detain every member of the protest grabs them despite them shouting that it's a misunderstanding.

1st video
https://t.me/lentachold/53190
2nd video
https://t.me/lentachold/53192

Zen86

Surely for each side it’s now a case of grabbing as much land as quickly as possible before winter sets in? Offensives are going to be significantly more difficult in the cold and winter would provide a cooling off to dig in along the front lines.

Rajma

Am I getting this right, are you posting untrue things as part of a campaign to support Ukraine on Redcafe? Sorry if I misunderstood.
No, I’m just not that bothered about fact checking the information if it comes from Ukrainian minded sources when sharing it, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt. I’m a victim of Ukrainian propaganda.

Abizzz

True. But what if all those cars turned around and headed for the Kremlin to oust that dictator. That would be fighting for your country, in the truest sense.
That would be better but you can't ask everyone to become a martyr.

dove

:confused:

What's your point here? Anyone who was in Russia on the 24th of Februar should fight to their death? Please answer in words if you can.
I can't blame those people of course, running is the easiest option. However, if not them, who are supposed to fix this mess? Us? Majority of people in that queue were completely fine with everything that happened up until they got affected personally, they had like 7 months to leave and chose not to. You can be sure that a big amount of people there are similar clowns to the picture I posted, who will continue spreading their nonsense living in Finland or wherever.