Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Lot of talk by Biden currently about Putin and Russia at the UN speech thing.

Seen a really hot take on The Times talking up the potential usage of a tactical nuke ffs

NotThatSoph

No, I’m just not that bothered about fact checking the information if it comes from Ukrainian minded sources when sharing it, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt. I’m a victim of Ukrainian propaganda.
Why, though, what's the point? What do you see as advantageous about making people here believe lies and false information, or making them doubt the legitimate things posted here? It's not like there's any drought of real information that paints Ukraine in a good light and Russia a bad one, there's no supply of here people here who can be convinced of shifting from pro Russia to Ukraine, and even if there were it's not like people here matter in any way to the outcome of the war.

When I see you post things now, I'll obviously be very skeptical. Not that my thoughts specifically should be important to you, but I think it's a pretty natural reaction to someone admitting to posting dubious information as part of an informational warfare campaign, so you shouldn't be surprised if other people start assuming you're posting lies as well.

This is similar to Glaston (pbuh) and his twitter storms: when you post garbage it detracts from the real information as well. And it's not even useful, like propaganda in the real world or public spaces can be.

Eurotrash

That would be better but you can't ask everyone to become a martyr.
I'm not asking for everyone to become a martyr. But 300k people now have a choice - become cannon fodder in a futile war against your neighbour, or fight for the future of your country.

It would only take 1/10th of those drafted to make a stand and it should topple the Kremlin.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dutch government official says we need to ramp up support.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not asking for everyone to become a martyr. But 300k people now have a choice - become cannon fodder in a futile war against your neighbour, or fight for the future of your country.

It would only take 1/10th of those drafted to make a stand and it should topple the Kremlin.
I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to fight for something I didn't believe in either.
I mean it would be great if some kind of faction could focus the Russian people on this. I’m sure there’s no appetite for conscription or even continuing in this war. When will enough be enough?

Carolina Red

Staff
An obvious shot in the dark guess here, but I see this mobilization going more the way of Russian Empire WW1 than I see it going the way of USSR WW2 for Putin.

The Firestarter

It's practically full mobilisation of those than have any chance of contributing meaningfully? Anything fuller than that is basically assembling the babushkas ...

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Majority of people in that queue were completely fine with everything that happened up until they got affected personally, they had like 7 months to leave and chose not to.
Do you know this for sure? I'm still in Moscow 7 months in, recovering, physically & mentally, from an accident where my best friend also got killed, plus my grandparents won't have anyone to look after them if I were to leave; I've been openly opposing Putin, going on protests since before I turned 18, I've protested against the inclusion of Crimea, went on the streets when the war started etc.; I wonder, would you turn me down if I was trying to run away? After all, I've had 7 months to leave and chose not to. Or the majority of people that I was hypothetically crossing the border with did and who cares about the rest.

This logic is also used by Estonian and Finnish border control when they're turning down Ukrainians that fled from the war to Russia (because it was the only way) and stayed there longer than the border control felt was appropriate, which angers me way more than the same treatment that Russians get for obvious reasons. But it's the logic itself that is at fault. Do an interview and don't let the war supporters in, don't fecking shut down the Iron Curtain from outside.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You think that 30k of random men from all over the country is enough to topple Putin's regime?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
People forget that this 300k are people like us. Or against the war or poor sods that had been manipulated. I would be terrified. Is not that easy to be brave in the circumstances that russia treats protestors. So please, dont ask russians to do what you most likely would not dare to do

In the end war affects normal people because shity leaders decide so. So lets not blame the ones that are getting feck for their decisions

Laughing that they dont have the balls...i know i will not have the balls

dove

Do you know this for sure? I'm still in Moscow 7 months in, recovering, physically & mentally, from an accident where my best friend also got killed, plus my grandparents won't have anyone to look after them if I were to leave; I've been openly opposing Putin, going on protests since before I turned 18, I've protested against the inclusion of Crimea, went on the streets when the war started etc.; I wonder, would you turn me down if I was trying to run away? After all, I've had 7 months to leave and chose not to. Or the majority of people that I was hypothetically crossing the border with did and who cares about the rest.

This logic is also used by Estonian and Finnish border control when they're turning down Ukrainians that fled from the war to Russia (because it was the only way) and stayed there longer than the border control felt was appropriate, which angers me way more than the same treatment that Russians get for obvious reasons. But it's the logic itself that is at fault. Do an interview and don't let the war supporters in, don't fecking shut down the Iron Curtain from outside.
I don't. Sorry for your loss. I know there is a fair amount of sensible people like you in Russia, it's just that I believe IF any change is to happen in Russia, it must come from within and seeing completely no movement is quite staggering. But I guess it's easy to talk from outside and sometimes I post some crap without thinking. Sorry if it offended you.

The United

You think that 30k of random men from all over the country is enough to topple Putin's regime?
I feel happy for people who live in countries and under regimes that still have some accountability.

But some are very ignorant about what it is like to live under very oppressive regimes. My country, Burma, had some of the harshest regimes in the past 60-70 years. The recent coup by the military was devastating for the country. Millions protested peacefully. Hundreds of thousands of people decided to fight with weapons. Thousands of innocent people died. Hundreds of villages and towns were razed. The economy is down the drain now. The regime is still there—supported by Putin...

The Firestarter

I’m not sure I follow, how does this changes anything from Ukraine’s perspective now that China joined the calls for a ceasefire?
It doesn't. China are trying to play on the big boys table it's not really working so far.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
4D chess move would be if the referendum results turn out to say the republics DONT want to join Russia. Gives Putin his valid withdrawal under the guise of respecting the democratic process, and can still claim his victory of “we went in, denazified and then peacefully withdrew”.

Obviously there is zero chance of any of that happening though.

frostbite

His so called Anti-Western friends told him to stop this non-sensical war no later than three days ago, China still needs the West (and a sane world) to trade, India is booming and do not want to waste their window, Lavrov just entered the US to attend UN meeting, his pre-recorded call-to-the-nation has been abrutly postponed… mmh, I may well be a fool tomorrow but Mr P seems nearer to being done than us just now.
He probably felt offended by his buddies in China and India. So, he decided to do the opposite of what they advised him to do.

The whole thing reminds me of Hitler in 1944-45. He knew he lost the war and he was angry at his own people, the Germans that "failed him", the Germans that were not "worthy of him". He continued the war not so much to win, but because he wanted to cause the maximum suffering to others, including the useless and disappointing Germans.

Putin might not be there already, but that's where he is headed.

dove

4D chess move would be if the referendum results turn out to say the republics DONT want to join Russia. Gives Putin his valid withdrawal under the guise of respecting the democratic process, and can still claim his victory of “we went in, denazified and then peacefully withdrew”.

Yea, I think the only question regarding the referendums is the percentage in favour of joining Russia. My bet is 99.2%.

spiriticon

These protests are pathetic and will die off in a few hours.

Here's what willing to die for freedom looks like:

Rajma

I actually heard this very same idea from one of the Russian bloggers!

Rajma

These protests are pathetic and will die off in a few hours.

Here's what willing to die for freedom looks like:

Yeah, people casually watching and filming as police is detaining one of theirs from the crowd…That’s not a solidarity you want to see during such protests…

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just mobilize NATO. Putin would crap in his pants and return home

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So many hardcore rambos in here. I'm sure most have lived in repressive authoritarian regimes and were out in the streets protesting every day, so tall is the horse they sit on when judging random russians.