Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
While the war was far away and it didnt touch them they were ok, living their cosy lives, now mobilisation is real they realized there's a bloody war out there...
It's almost like Iran and Russia are 2 separate countries with 2 separate histories and sets of problems and that one government has been more effective at dispiriting and breaking up resistance movements than the other...

Here's a truth for you all, people the world over are fundamentally pretty similar, it is only differences of culture, education and circumstance that drive different actions.

Real Name

It's almost like Iran and Russia are 2 separate countries with 2 separate histories and sets of problems and that one government has been more effective at dispiriting and breaking up resistance movements than the other...

Here's a truth for you all, people the world over are fundamentally pretty similar, it is only differences of culture, education and circumstance that drive different actions.
What has Iran got to do with Russians fleeing the country? Or am I missing something?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I believe there are more Russians in Israel than there are people originating from any other country. I’m sure there are other reasons too.
From what I’ve read Russian-speakers in Israel are overwhelmingly pro-Ukraine in this conflict. The main reasons Israel is top-toeing around proper support for Ukraine are the situation in Syria, where they have an understanding with Moscow that allows them free reign to target Iranian assets there, and probably a concern not to put Russian Jews in an awkward and potentially hazardous position.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A guy in Ryazan set himself on fire, apparently shouting that he didn’t want to go to Ukraine.

He’s alive.

dove

A guy in Ryazan set himself on fire, apparently shouting that he didn’t want to go to Ukraine.

He’s alive.

Damn :eek:

Do these things or protests in Dagestan get covered by traditional "non independent" Russian media?

harms

Staff
Damn :eek:

Do these things or protests in Dagestan get covered by traditional "non independent" Russian media?
I’ve scrolled past Kommersant’s newsfeed and they’ve mentioned both the Dagestan protests and the shooting of the commissioner, although I really had to look for those. No news about the self-burning yet. It’s one of the last active Russian media still in Russia that at least tries to act like a media, even though they’re heavily censored. Can’t be bothered to look up RT.

harms

Staff
Wow. Can't see him being such for very long unfortunately.
There’s a video of him (allegedly) walking next to paramedics after the fact, but there are some conflicting reports on his current status.

TwoSheds

What has Iran got to do with Russians fleeing the country? Or am I missing something?
Well quite. The answer is "not all that much" and yet the Twitterati in here seem to want to equate them in a black Vs white sort of way that just isn't right.

Not that I don't salute the bravery of the Iranian protesters and fully support them, just saying the 2 situations are different, nuanced and have real people's lives at stake in different ways so false comparisons are unhelpful and daft.

Real Name

Well quite. The answer is "not all that much" and yet the Twitterati in here seem to want to equate them in a black Vs white sort of way that just isn't right.

Not that I don't salute the bravery of the Iranian protesters and fully support them, just saying the 2 situations are different, nuanced and have real people's lives at stake in different ways so false comparisons are unhelpful and daft.
Well I think you wanted to quote someone else cause I never made any comparisons to the situation in Iran. Maybe the tweet did, dont remember.

Last edited:

Siorac

He’s alive.

I can't help but find it funny how calm the other people in the video looked.

"Oh look Grigory, there's a lad setting himself on fire. The youth get up to all sorts of things nowadays, don't they?"

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I should imagine they are struggling to appreciate just what they are seeing in those 5 seconds. Also, what could they do in that time? Not a lot.

TwoSheds

Well I think you wanted to quote someone else cause I never made any comparisons to the situation in Iran. Maybe the tweet did, dont remember.
No, I just assumed given you were criticising the Russian population you might be one of those that was comparing and contrasting with Iran. I didn't put much effort into researching that as I suppose I was intending to comment more generally on how we should be cautious criticising, since there but for the grace of God go we. We in the west are not fundamentally different to the Russians, just live under vastly different circumstances.

Real Name

No, I just assumed given you were criticising the Russian population you might be one of those that was comparing and contrasting with Iran. I didn't put much effort into researching that as I suppose I was intending to comment more generally on how we should be cautious criticising, since there but for the grace of God go we. We in the west are not fundamentally different to the Russians, just live under vastly different circumstances.
I agree with that. I can understand it even. Until war knock on your door you act like it isnt there.

Its like people here were criticizing Ukrainians who fled the country in the 1st few weeks. I would ask those if they would go into war in the place of those people and they didnt answer yes. So i was careful with criticizing those people just as I will be in criticizing the Russians fleeing from now on.

TwoSheds

I agree with that. I can understand it even. Until war knock on your door you act like it isnt there.

Its like people here were criticizing Ukrainians who fled the country in the 1st few weeks. I would ask those if they would go into war in the place of those people and they didnt answer yes. So i was careful with criticizing those people just as I will be in criticizing the Russians fleeing from now on.
I definitely quoted the wrong person then, agree with all that :D

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I've seen more and more reports now that strong Ukrainian troops are operating north of Lyman. Seems to be more than just rumuors as this info can be found in Russian Telegram channels. The situation appears to be roughly similar to Izyum three weeks ago, Russians either have to leave now or risk getting encircled in Lyman.

While around Kherson still not much happens the northern front appears to collapse again...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I know. But they actually get it. Basically I feel we need to strengthen the block within the EU that is north of Germany (as opposed to just blaming it all on EU). Pity Norway aren't in and that Poland are presently fecking up their democracy.
Norway are in NATO though and have been for a long-time.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
I've seen more and more reports now that strong Ukrainian troops are operating north of Lyman. Seems to be more than just rumuors as this info can be found in Russian Telegram channels. The situation appears to be roughly similar to Izyum three weeks ago, Russians either have to leave now or risk getting encircled in Lyman.

While around Kherson still not much happens the northern front appears to collapse again...
IMHO it's not necessarily a good idea strategically speaking to liberate Kherson right away. In the current situation the RA is forced to mantain a wide front with all of its implications (a lot of forces required to defend it, a lot of administrators and burocracies that cause coordination/accountability problems, transportation and logistic issues, etc). Losing Kherson (and even Zaporizhzhia) would help Russia focus in the East + Crimea, which are supposed to be the achievable goals they have left. I think the UA knows this, and is happy to let Russia bleed in the whole southern front due to hubris.

Then again, I know nothing about these kind of conflicts, so I would appreciate if someone could add some other context/theory about Kherson.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Norway are in NATO though and have been for a long-time.
They do not participate in the energy discussions in the EU just because they are members of NATO. The point I am making is that I'd like a stronger nordic block within the EU to shift power more away from Germany and France.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Then again, I know nothing about these kind of conflicts, so I would appreciate if someone could add some other context/theory about Kherson.
Geography is a factor. In the notth there are only a few rivers etc as natural obstacles, if you manage to bridge one there is a lot of open area to operate in. Around Kherson these open areas are much smaller.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Excellent analysis (as usual) by Igor Girkin about the current Russian offensive around Bakhmut:

RedDevilQuebecois

Does that give a green light for the CIA's Special Activities Center to do whatever they want to get rid of him permanently? He's not getting drafted after further reading, but he continues to be a nuisance.

Meanwhile,

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Does that give a green light for the CIA's Special Activities Center to do whatever they want to get rid of him permanently? He's not getting drafted after further reading, but he continues to be a nuisance.

Meanwhile,

If I were Snowden, I would worry more about my new comrades than CIA. Now they can off him in an attempt to blame the US and cause drrama.

I would suspect Russia of damaging NordStream as a further excuse for not being able to supply gas to Germany. I don't think the Ukrainians would have the capability, and who else would do it? I don't imagine it's a long list who could send divers down to 80 m.