Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

The Purley King

I feel like we're entering probably the most dangerous period of this war so far. Definitely feels like we're entering a time when escalation is possible and direct conflict between Russia and NATO states seems possible.
If it can be proved that the pipeline damage is intentional (which it seems that it will be able to) then I’d say direct confrontation is probable not possible.
Nobody is going to buy that it was anyone else but Russia.
This is an incredible move from putin and one he definitively won’t be able reverse.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Russia has been shelling nuclear plants, so the iodine could be about that.

I don't think nuclear Armageddon is on the menu. I don't think it's likely he'll use a tactical nuke or three to terrorize the Ukranians or NATO. But if he does, I think it will be done for psychological effect, I don't expect him to use a string of tactical nukes unless someone actually invades Russia proper (not the occupied territories).

Considering how "unthinkable" doing such a thing is to most westerners, it would be a very effective act of terrorism, but I expect the response by the world would only make things harder for him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How easily can sabotage be proven?

The thing is, the leaks in Nord Stream 1 and 2 have quite some distance between them. It would have to be two separate incidents, and two accidents that usually happen that rarely are almost impossible. We might not yet know how it was done, but I see no scenario that this wasn't a coordinated attack.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I think the pipeline sabotage could be something that a couple governments may know about but revealing they know would jeopardize sources, methods, or capabilities. If the US knows based on some clandestine technology or source, they’ll have to do some parallel reconstruction to explain how they know it was Russia.

Sanchez7

It is so obvious that the RU trolls have stepped up the disinformation campaign on the pipeline sabotage. So many bots constantly posting the same tripe about Biden saying in some press conference that they can Nord stream.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It is so obvious that the RU trolls have stepped up the disinformation campaign on the pipeline sabotage. So many bots constantly posting the same tripe about Biden saying in some press conference that they can Nord stream.
Sorry, USA went so far as implementing sanctions against Germany about Nord Stream 2. As they acted that hostile they are an easy suspect. Not saying that they did, but in this case you just don't need to be a Russian troll to have doubts about the USA.

Rajma

Sorry, USA went so far as implementing sanctions against Germany about Nord Stream 2. As they acted that hostile they are an easy suspect. Not saying that they did, but in this case you just don't need to be a Russian troll to have doubts about the USA.
Exactly, sanctions is how US operates, I mean this is quite obvious what happened here.

Rajma

They have left one NS2 line operational intentionally too knowing that the pressure will mount to open it up, now that NS1 is fully out of order. I’m not surprised that people in west still falling for this, they have been toyed with by Russian propaganda for ages without realizing it. They must have been laughing in Kremlin all those years really how suspect western population have been to their trolls and disinformation campaigns. Imagine they now blow up Norway’s pipe and only viable option will now suddenly going to be NS2, accidentally?

Last edited:

the hea

According to pro Russian Telegram channel Rybar, the Ukrainians are gaining ground both north and east of Lyman and are now close to encirciling the city.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
False flag? On one level the people with the most to gain from the pipeline being broken would be Ukraine. I don't think Ukraine would do this, but Russia might and claim it was them. Just an idea, I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

The Firestarter

I think the pipeline sabotage could be something that a couple governments may know about but revealing they know would jeopardize sources, methods, or capabilities. If the US knows based on some clandestine technology or source, they’ll have to do some parallel reconstruction to explain how they know it was Russia.
Don't think the US has been holding back on intelligence lately.

icehole

They have left one NS2 line operational intentionally too knowing that the pressure will mount to open it up, know that NS1 is fully out of order. I’m not surprised that people in west still falling for this, they have been toyed with by Russian propaganda by ages without realizing it. They must have been laughing in Kremlin all those years really how suspect western population have been to their trolls and disinformation campaigns.
I'm waiting to see how Russia will try to leverage this. This is so insanely bizarre that I can't come up with anything beyond Bond-level theories.

The Firestarter

Is anyone seriously thinking that if the Norway pipe is destroyed the EU will suddenly cave to every demand from Russia and start paying in rubles or whatever they ask?

frostbite

Is anyone seriously thinking that if the Norway pipe is destroyed the EU will suddenly cave to every demand from Russia and start paying in rubles or whatever they ask?
No, but just the fear that something will happen will feed the Russian trolls in Europe. Discontent in the West is a win for Russia.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Danish PM just stated that leaks on NS pipelines were the result of direct action (sabotage).

frostbite

Well it will be discontent but towards the one who destroyed the pipeline, not their governments.
The Russian trolls will happily say that there is no proof it was Russia. It could be Germany who did it. No? Can you prove that it wasn't Germany? Can you prove it wasn't Ukrainian nazis? Can you prove it wasn't the Klingons?

dove

The Russian trolls will happily say that there is no proof it was Russia. It could be Germany who did it. No? Can you prove that it wasn't Germany? Can you prove it wasn't Ukrainian nazis? Can you prove it wasn't the Klingons?
It was Orcs.

The Firestarter

Some people who have irradiated brains won't believe it even if you find the submarine captain who commanded the mission to wreck it and he admits on live TV. I mean look at the US with those who support Trump. Thankfully they are still a minority.

The Purley King

False flag? On one level the people with the most to gain from the pipeline being broken would be Ukraine. I don't think Ukraine would do this, but Russia might and claim it was them. Just an idea, I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.
how many submarines have Ukraine got?

dove

"Lift the sanctions so we can fix the pipes we blew up"

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Don't think the US has been holding back on intelligence lately.
The US doesn’t generally release stuff like satellite evidence or other sensitive collection methods. When Trump showed off a satellite image of an Iranian rocket detonating on the launchpad, it was a huge deal for the intel community since it showed the quality of the satellite imagery.

Even in the lead up to the war, they didn’t share the good stuff with NATO or Ukraine, and all of that was stuff that could have multiple sources.

The Firestarter

The US doesn’t generally release stuff like satellite evidence or other sensitive collection methods. When Trump showed off a satellite image of an Iranian rocket detonating on the launchpad, it was a huge deal for the intel community since it showed the quality of the satellite imagery.

Even in the lead up to the war, they didn’t share the good stuff with NATO or Ukraine, and all of that was stuff that could have multiple sources.
Well if its convincing nato countries who did it, they absolutely will share the data but maybe not the sources. Just as they did before the invasion.

TheReligion

Abusive
Would Ukraine have the means to do it? Highly doubtful. Russia have proven they are able, and willing, to operate in this way. Salisbury for example.

tomaldinho1

How many have Russia got is more the question. Ukraine don't need any for Russia to claim one of their allies assisted them. I thought everyone would understand what a false flag was, should have been clearer sorry.
How many have Russia got that work is the real question.

Very weird scenario because Putin is trying to weaponize the pipeline, sabotaging it does nothing for his hope that Germany beg him to turn on the taps again. I actually think this could have been NATO as a statement to Putin, who is assuming Germany will beg him to restart supply, by damaging the pipeline and effectively stopping it's ability to transport LNG it takes away a massive part of Putin's leverage.

The Purley King

How many have Russia got is more the question. Ukraine don't need any for Russia to claim one of their allies assisted them. I thought everyone would understand what a false flag was, should have been clearer sorry.
Ah I see apologies.
I just can’t see a nato country sabotaging the lines.
Unless the ultimate aim is to deliberately escalate things potentially to a nuclear conclusion which doesn’t seem like a stance nato would take.
I’m sure they (we) are all hoping it doesn’t come to that and Russia is defeated with conventional means.
Maybe I’m naive I don’t know but the most logical conclusion is that it was Russia was responsible.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Probably not. Though if I were in charge I might be tempted to think that the cost for the EU is too high.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Ah I see apologies.
I just can’t see a nato country sabotaging the lines.
Unless the ultimate aim is to deliberately escalate things potentially to a nuclear conclusion which doesn’t seem like a stance nato would take.
I’m sure they (we) are all hoping it doesn’t come to that and Russia is defeated with conventional means.
Maybe I’m naive I don’t know but the most logical conclusion is that it was Russia was responsible.
I think so. If Trump were around I might believe anything but Biden seems quite considered in general, a lot less likely to act incautiously. I hope :)

The Purley King

I think so. If Trump were around I might believe anything but Biden seems quite considered in general, a lot less likely to act incautiously. I hope :)
Senior people will know if nato did it or not. The response will be the same in any event - immediate escalation, so I guess we’ll never know the truth.
I know what I think though.